Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should old Disney movies be banned in the era of #MeToo??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

wexie wrote: »
    While I think that's a fair dig, I think it's only fair to point out that there's a big difference between what values are important to the Disney corporation and what values they promote in their movies.

I didn't mean it as a dig exactly, but old Disney films, like any older films, are going to represent what was correct and good at the time - all well and good if you want your kids to watch films that reflect a fairly traditionalist, America in the 1950's - view of the world, but if that's not really your thing, then it'd be a good idea for parents to rewatch them themselves before giving them to the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

so how do you go about getting something 'banned' anyway?!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Actually didn't kiera knightly co-star and accept a massive pay cheque for a Disney movie based on a ride in Disney land ?

.... and?

She specified movies with portrayals and themes she didn't agree with. She didn't suggest banning all (or any) Disney movies - just that she won't let her daughter watch a few of them.

And she has a point - the themes of some older movies are so backwards now. Its not just Disney, obviously, there are many movies with similar issues - and if a parent doesn't want their child learning such 'values' that is their parenting choice.

They can watch Frozen, which is ultimately about family love and ties, or Moana which is about taking control of your own life and destiny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

.... and?

She specified movies with portrayals and themes she didn't agree with. She didn't suggest banning all (or any) Disney movies - just that she won't let her daughter watch a few of them.

And she has a point - the themes of some older movies are so backwards now. Its not just Disney, obviously, there are many movies with similar issues - and if a parent doesn't want their child learning such 'values' that is their parenting choice.

They can watch Frozen, which is ultimately about family love and ties, or Moana which is about taking control of your own life and destiny.

Should the Prince have taken the safer #MeToo era option and let Snow White die ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

By all means watch outdated, or racist, or sexist movies/TV shows, but then follow it up with some parenting and undo any 'bad' effects.
    Talk to the children about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

spurious wrote: »
    By all means watch outdated, or racist, or sexist movies/TV shows, but then follow it up with some parenting and undo any 'bad' effects.

Examples ? Given that there are idiots who have called Friends racist, homophobic and transphobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I hope she bans her kids from watching Love Actually too, she's cock teasing wagon in that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

So... just to make sure I understand this right... two random people state that they don't want their children to watch Disney movies, and that somehow means someone wants to BAN them altogether? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

.... and?

Cause she is a hypocrite, only lesson she is teaching her kids very famous films/story's and ingrained in pop culture were censored to her cause mammy doesn't think its ok, but it is ok to take a massive pay off and star in them cause y'know, the cheddar makes it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Shenshen wrote: »
    So... just to make sure I understand this right... two random people state that they don't want their children to watch Disney movies, and that somehow means someone wants to BAN them altogether? :confused:

Yes.

(How else could the usual crowd here get a good righteous rage going if they don't rewrite the facts as reported?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Why do you think movies from the 70's, 80's and 90's are inferior to today's movies?

with my son we do a movie night so we do watch notable movies from "back in my day" some are timeless, some a bit dated now or funny as hell as they wouldn't get made the same way today. As far as stuff aimed at kids though they wouldn't watch older stuff, come to think of it they havnt really watched kids tv since they were about 7 or 8.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Should the Prince have taken the safer #MeToo era option and let Snow White die ?

If you want to place it in a real world scenario, are they the only choices?

Check Breathing? Check Pulse? Possible CRP? Call a doctor? Get her checked out?

In the real world if you come across a sleeping woman is your FIRST instinct and action to kiss her?

And maybe (in this case) the kiss is the only course of action - MAYBE we (and KK does) can simply chose not to show our kids a movie where the climax revolves around kissing a woman without consent.

There are movies with crap messages and endings - Grease another example, if you want the boy then change everything about yourself and have a makeover, that'll solve all your problems.

There are plenty of movies with affirmative messages that promote more healthy ideals - plenty of them - if you disagree with the message of a particular movie.... why show it? Or at least why show it when a critical disection of the movie may not be possible.

Cause she is a hypocrite, only lesson she is teaching her kids very famous films/story's and ingrained in pop culture were censored to her cause mammy doesn't think its ok, but it is ok to take a massive pay off and star in them cause y'know, the cheddar makes it better.

But the kids, as far as we know, have no issue watching Lion King or Moana etc - she hasn't banned them from watching ALL disney movies?

She has stared in 18's rated movies, is she a hypocrite for not allowing the kids to watch them? I mean she got paid to be in them so they must be ok for everyone?

How do you live a day to day live if every decision you make has to lack any context to subtlety?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

spurious wrote: »

I find the stuff on nickelodeon far more disturbing

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

He thought she was dead when he kissed her. Should people go around shifting corpses on the off chance they're actually just under a spell?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

But the kids, as far as we know, have no issue watching Lion King or Moana etc - she hasn't banned them from watching ALL disney movies?

She has stared in 18's rated movies, is she a hypocrite for not allowing the kids to watch them? I mean she got paid to be in them so they must be ok for everyone?

How do you live a day to day live if every decision you make has to lack any context to subtlety?

You seem reasonable enough, when you were young did you see snow white, Cinderella etc ? did you do you any harm ? did it make an impact on you that it didn't make sense.

Kids will watch and find out about anything and everything regardless of how you shield them. Censoring a fairy tale story to a child is ****ing ridiculous parenting imo. Kids will play and make fun of each other for not seeing certain things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Shenshen wrote: »

Well I'm asking whether you personally yourself think they should be banned or gradually phased out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Oh FFS. Just go jump off a bridge you scrawny, boobless, pompous, entitled little bitches in fairness like. Get a life like.

Does your masculinity feel threatened by a woman by with an opinion?

Your comprehension certainly does, because as has been pointed out early in this thread, there's been no suggestion from either of the women that they should be banned.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Does your masculinity feel threatened by a woman by with an opinion?

Your comprehension certainly does, because as has been pointed out early in this thread, there's been no suggestion from either of the women that they should be banned.

I hate to think of posters like that having kids, that they look to impart such views of people on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I hate to think of posters like that having kids, that they look to impart such views of people on.

They've certainly have issues themselves. How much of an insecure loser do you have to be to react in such a fashion? And that poster is not the only one on this thread.

They get an idea into their head, a factually inaccurate one at that, and lose their balls over it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Well I'm asking whether you personally yourself think they should be banned or gradually phased out.

I don't have children, and I honestly couldn't care less.
    but that mental jump does intrigue me - if those two ladies had stated they're not allowing their children eating junk food, or listen to Death Metal, would you also have asked if those ought to be banned outright?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Steamboat Willie offends me.

Ban it immediately!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I bet she is not even banning anything she is just not showing them to her daughter. It's more likely she is plagued with requests for Peppa Pig.

Anyway the outrage is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Examples ? Given that there are idiots who have called Friends racist, homophobic and transphobic.

Old films with black servants etc.. Anything that needs explaining within its context.
    Having never seen even one episode of 'Friends', I cannot comment on it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

razorblunt wrote: »
    I hope she bans her kids from watching Love Actually too, she's cock teasing wagon in that.

She's really annoying in that movie.

Celebs morphing into a sanctimommy isn't new. Madonna gyrated her way though MTV in the 80's and 90's in seriously raunchy videos then when she had her child, morphed into Mother of the Year and proudly announced that her kids aren't allowed any TV because of the unsuitable muck that's on these days. Oh the irony.

The newer Disney princess movies have moved with the times - Moana, Frozen, Brave, all have princesses doing it for themselves. The older ones are of their time and are in themselves watered down from the original stories as either sleeping beauty or snow white (can't remember which) woke up with a baby in their arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Feisar wrote: »
    The first film that popped in my head was Casa, what a classic.

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."

I wonder what a man's man like Humphrey Bogart would think of Hollywood if he were around today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I wonder what a man's man like Humphrey Bogart would think of Hollywood if he were around today.

He wouldn't be allowed even look at a woman today!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

This whole thread is people saying how awful people are for wanting to ban something, and that they're going to ban this other thing next, and how stupid and terrible those people are...

... without actually pointing to examples of people calling for these bans.

Who are the snowflakes here?
    Who are the people desperate to shout about how they are being oppressed?
    Who are the people getting worked up about imaginary problems?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Humphrey Bogart would be in sackcloth and ashes rehab along with Cary Grant, Rock Hudson, Errol Flynn, Frances Farmer, Joan Crawford, Charles Laughton, Charlie Chaplin, Marilyn Monroe and many more.

Advertisement