Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should old Disney movies be banned in the era of #MeToo??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Movementarian

Can't help but feel that this is a situation where an adult is imposing their viewa on a media where a child sees nothing.

Like when Keira says the Little Mermaid has a message of 'Don't give up your voice for a man'. I would be willing to bet that no child watching that film gets that message in any way shape or form. As children we love the music and the theme and the happy ending. All of these adult themes we try to retrospectively attach to films I genuinely believe are not noticed by children unless we make a huge deal of pointing them out.

Its completely uneccessary. Just let children enjoy things that are clearly meant for children and stop trying to teach kids adult messages way before time. I for one hope the magic of these films is never lost and I hope my kids love them as much as I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

They should raise the stakes.

Movies like

"Big Mickey Mouse"

or " Donald Dick" could go down as classics

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Neyite wrote: »
    The newer Disney princess movies have moved with the times - Moana, Frozen, Brave, all have princesses doing it for themselves. The older ones are of their time and are in themselves watered down from the original stories as either sleeping beauty or snow white (can't remember which) woke up with a baby in their arms.

Not just the older ones, Hans Christian Anderson stories are mostly changed because originals are bloody depressing. The little match girl still haunts me. Brothers Grim stories were a lot more bloodthirsty and were not watered down just by Disney. I have no objection to kids watching Disney cartoons but frankly even I find modern stuff a lot more entertaining. I think a lot of movies used to better but animation is much better and funnier. I don't think Disney classics are better than for example Inside Out, Up, How to Train Your Dragon, Toy Story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Movies like

"Big Mickey Mouse"

I'm not going to Google it but according to internet rule 34 it's probably already been done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Can't help but feel that this is a situation where an adult is imposing their viewa on a media where a child sees nothing.

Like when Keira says the Little Mermaid has a message of 'Don't give up your voice for a man'. I would be willing to bet that no child watching that film gets that message in any way shape or form. As children we love the music and the theme and the happy ending. All of these adult themes we try to retrospectively attach to films I genuinely believe are not noticed by children unless we make a huge deal of pointing them out.

Its completely uneccessary. Just let children enjoy things that are clearly meant for children and stop trying to teach kids adult messages way before time. I for one hope the magic of these films is never lost and I hope my kids love them as much as I did.

I don't know about that - what I remember most about The Little Mermaid in particular is how infuriated I was at Disney crowbarring a happy ending into a story I used to love particularly for its nihilistic ending.

The story I grew up with ends with the prince marrying another and the little mermaid, having sold her soul for this one chance, ending up as foam on the waves.
    It's a beautiful story, telling you to take risks, to fight for what you want, and to accept your defeats.
    Disney emptied that of absolutely all meaning.

• Advertisement

Are they calling for a ban, or just banning them in their own homes? If it's the latter what's the actual problem?
    Surely it's up to parents what they let their kids watch?

This isn't exactly revolutionary thinking I'm in my mid 30's and I haven't seen a lot of the early Disney movies either because my parents didn't want us watching them both from the perspective that they're just vehicles for shifting vast quantities of merch and because princess behaviour and ideals were not something they wanted us to see modelled as aspirational. Not watching Cinderella or the Little Mermaid didn't damage me.

When I was a little girl all I wanted to be was a princess. I would wear big puffy dresses and run around the garden with my "wand" :) I was mad about Disney films so that's probably what influenced me there.

You are right, people can decide for themselves what their kids should and shouldn't watch. Looking for a ban on these old films is over the top though. It feels like something that is innocent and magical is being ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I have never heard a single person genuinely suggesting old films be banned outright for portraying outdated attitudes and behaviour.

Closest is Louise o Neill and her band of whackos triggered by the Xmas sing baby it’s cild outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Ban them all. I watched them as a child and look how I ended up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I was watching 'Bed Knobs and Broomsticks', as you do. There's a scene were these Jamaicans are singing and dancing on a London street. It was mostly a bunch of honkeys in black face. I think that'd have to go to be fair. I don't know about banning but maybe CGI in a black fella outta dat. I mean if Lucas can redo Star Wars over and over...

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Movies like

"Big Mickey Mouse"

Donald duck goes down on a classic like the queen or marian finucane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Actresses Keira Knightley and Kristen Bell have publicly criticized old Disney films such as Snow White, Cinderella and The Little Mermaid banning their daughters from watching them because of they women are portrayed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45900794

Would you ban your children from watching old Disney classics in light of the #MeToo era due to the way women are depicted in them?
    As long as they leave Bambi alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

An outright ban would be beyond ridiculous tbh.

The MeToo movement really has gone too far now and it’s lost it’s original purpose.

Disney films are magical - let’s not rob children today of those things that made our childhoods so wonderful. And especially not for some crazy movement that has strayed so far from its original purpose it doesn’t even know what it was anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

When I was a little girl all I wanted to be was a princess. I would wear big puffy dresses and run around the garden with my "wand" I was mad about Disney films so that's probably what influenced me there.
    I wanted to be Donatello!
    I actually really like the newer animated movies, like Brave/Moana/Frozen the main female characters have agency and actually drive the story rather than sleeping beauty or snow white who the story just happens to. On their own I don't think those old timey Disney stories are bad or sexist necessarily but compared with the movies aimed at boys at the time or modern kids movies the main characters are pretty passive so I can totally see why parents would want their kids exposed to greater aspirations.
    You are right, people can decide for themselves what their kids should and shouldn't watch. Looking for a ban on these old films is over the top though. It feels like something that is innocent and magical is being ruined.

Noone is looking for a ban though, I'd be opposed to that art is art after all, but I don't think it's above criticism.

Ppl have to accept that tastes and what's acceptable changes over time, and as we develop some things that we may like will look less than tasteful when viewed through a new lens. That's how the world has always worked, but some people just love to get worked up into a frenzy over "the pc brigade" and "snowflakes"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

When they were talking about it on the telly earlier, they pronounced Kirsten bell as Christian Bale..
    I was disgusted with him for being so stupid. 😊ðŸ˜ðŸ˜
    Thank God he isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

An outright ban would be beyond ridiculous tbh.

The MeToo movement really has gone too far now and it’s lost it’s original purpose..

Who proposed an outright ban, or where has the MeToo movement come into it?

When I was a little girl all I wanted to be was a princess. I would wear big puffy dresses and run around the garden with my "wand" :) I was mad about Disney films so that's probably what influenced me there. .

And I have a little girl who was running around with a wand trying to turn everyone into a frog and telling anyone who called her a princess that she is a girl not a princess. It wasn't because we would encourage her, she just never wanted to be a princess. She also laughs at her own farts.

Just because some are all misty eyed about the cartoon they saw when kids, it doesn't mean today's kids will go for the same stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Hurrache wrote: »
    Who proposed an outright ban, or where has the MeToo movement come into it?

Did you even read the thread? Or it’s title?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mutant z wrote: »
    If you really believe that then you're well and truly deluded.

Ok, I’ll bite. Who are the PC brigade? Be specific now.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don't like terms like PC brigade and sjw (or indeed mansplaining and "the patriarchy") but you know full well who they're referring to.

No. I don’t actually.

He wants to “ban the PC brigade”. It’s a meaningless empty statement. I’d go so far as to say it’s a stupid response.

Not as stupid as the replies attacking Knightly and advising her to jump from a bridge, mind. That’s properly moronic.

I don’t get all the anger. Some Hollywood stars don’t let their kids watch Disney films. So bleeding what. Be outraged about something worth being outraged about.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

#F**kingLoL

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Oh FFS. Just go jump off a bridge you scrawny, boobless, pompous, entitled little bitches in fairness like. Get a life like.
    Mod note: engiweirdo, don't post in this thread again.

Buford T. Justice

Can picture Knightly's daughter smuggling in copies of 'Lady & The Tramp' in a few years, telling her mates "This is the good $hit lads, banned so it is"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Mutant z wrote: »
    Perhaps we should ban the pc brigade.

Or stop pandering to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I have never heard a single person genuinely suggesting old films be banned outright for portraying outdated attitudes and behaviour.

To be fair i also don't think RTE should be broadcasting death of a nation on a sunday afternoon ;)

I bought my niece a disney doll. i asked which ones hadn't been rescued by a man and there's only a few. having said that i wouldn't ban the movies. I can understand why some people would stop their kids watching certain ones.

Take peppa pig for example. I know a woman who doesn't show it to her kid because of the way Daddy pig is portrayed. He's pretty much a fat idiot.

I wouldn't "ban" anything for general consumption but I do understand wanting to promote certain positive messages for young children. That's a decision every parent makes and it's up to them. I generally wouldn't judge them too much for it.

Ban E.T. too. He was a male alien right? Yeah, ban that too. Too fond of that phone he was, god knows who he was calling or what he was actually up to, the devious male alien bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Or does it make these Disneys movies all the more important in the metoo age. A delicate flame keeping alight the torches of reason and common sense in these dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ultra regression labelled as progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Grayson wrote:
    Take peppa pig for example. I know a woman who doesn't show it to her kid because of the way Daddy pig is portrayed. He's pretty much a fat idiot.

That's a really common complaint among Dads (rightly so) actually, but I fail to see how any of this has anything to do with MeToo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I don't think there's any real campaign going on (although I won't be surprised if/when it happens) but people are saying they don't want their daughters watching fairytale Disney movies. I loved princess fairy stories as a kid, Cinderella was my favourite - I was just obsessed with it. The dresses especially. I loved Barbie too.

Yet I still grew up to have views that would be considered feminist (I don't know if they are though, I think plenty of non feminists hold them) in agreement with the women who did have to fight for equality, so that we now have choices, self determination, aren't victims, take responsibility for ourselves, think for ourselves, are equal (but different) to men - not trying to "out-do" men or be superior to them, that we don't blame society or "the patriarchy" for our own choices or things that go wrong in our lives by chance, that we can be vulnerable and sensitive but also able to harden the **** up when necessary. And feminism today seems to be undoing all of that...

Surely not trusting girls to be able to think for themselves and recognise that these are just movies, is going against female empowerment.

My concern for women here in the West is some misogyny (few of the lads here on Boards are right beauts) and I think it's getting really fashionable to be suspicious of any woman ever who alleges sexual assault, but when there are the likes of Boko Haram, Islamic State... the treatment of women and girls in the Congo, Somalia, Pakistan... genital mutilation, menstruation huts... closer to home the sex abuse rings in England (yet "White men yadda yadda" - as if none of their fathers, brothers, partners, sons are white), the subjugation of traveller women and girls within their own communities here... I find it extremely difficult to have any understanding of taking issue with Disney movies or mansize tissues. I think this is actually an insult to the women and girls in parts of the world I mentioned.

• Advertisement

I think sex abuse rings in UK are the Goodwin on Boards. If thread us long enough someone will mention it regardless if it's relevant or not.

Advertisement