Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

tretorn wrote: »
    The child benefit is only part of the story. She is getting approx 50,000 euros into her bank account and then on one shoplifting spree she helps herself to three hundred euros worth of clothes that belong to someone else.

I'm guessing the shoplifting gets her to -- what is it now? 39 convictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Livid here listening to that low sized windbag going into full flowery mode.

Beggars belief.

There there, it's ok. Anyone would be livid that such a short person would know a lot of words. Maybe have a cuppa, take a nice long soak. It'll be alright in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

She is quite happy with her set up and she probably feels sorry for you, well, not sorry, she despises you for your stupidity working all the hours God sends with less money to show for it than her.

Don't be silly. You have no idea what she has or what I have.

As I said, I wouldn't swap with her for anything.

She comes across as uneducated and not the sharpest. Maybe compared to her peers she might be top of the pile in terms of what is coming into her pocket every week. But it's nothing special. And she'll never amount to anything more. The chances of any of her kids amounting to a lot isn't much higher. That's harsh but probably true.

I wouldn't want to be her, either. But my issue with Traveller culture is that it kills all ambition beyond petty criminality and leeching off the taxpayer. Taking kids out of school at age 12 and marrying them off in their teens pretty much ensures they won't make much of their lives other than perpetuating a downward spiral.

That said, if Travellers started to go to college and get professional jobs, their "culture" would be dead within a generation.

But that is their own loss. It's a sad waste of life and a sad waste of potential. They need to realise that themselves. It hurts them more than it hurts you or me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    what is it with this thing where people still don’t understand how jobseekers works these days?

It’s not like years ago where you could sign on draw your dole every week and that’ll do. Nowadays (and for years I might add) you have to PROVE to the officer you’re actually looking for work. They aren’t paying you to sit on your arse anymore, they can and will find out if you’re not actually searching for a job. I’m sure there’s some softer men or women in the social welfare offices but the fact is that you don’t just get to draw down every Monday and sit at home watching Jeremy Kyle. If you don’t supply them with proof you’re looking for work they do suspend the payment. It’s that simple.

Were you ever on it long term!? Because I can tell you all you have to do for proof is send out cvs. I was applying for jobs left right and center. Took months to even get an interview. No hastle keeping myself on the dole when all I said was I wasn't getting called for interviews.

And make no mistake nothing sucks more than trying to get back to work and not even getting a thanks for applying but no thanks generic email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Don't be silly. You have no idea what she has or what I have.

As I said, I wouldn't swap with her for anything.

She comes across as uneducated and not the sharpest. Maybe compared to her peers she might be top of the pile in terms of what is coming into her pocket every week. But it's nothing special. And she'll never amount to anything more. The chances of any of her kids amounting to a lot isn't much higher. That's harsh but probably true.

So let's keep facilitating it eh? Keep throwing more and more child benefit her way. Keep the state actively looking for a bigger house for her (obviously in an area she deems suitable)...keep as many support options available to her as is possible.
    She'll keep moaning about the government and how they are failing her, and their lack of use in finding her a suitable (large on account of her brood) house.

And so the circle continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Casey was not a good candidate. He would have made a terrible president.

The fact that he was given almost a quarter of first preferences despite this, shows the depth of frustration that many Irish have. A large segment of the Irish population feel they don't have anybody to represent their concerns and beliefs.

There is a vacuum. And a vacuum wants to be filled. We need a reasonable right-wing party, hopefully before a more extreme grouping fills the gap.

mfceiling wrote: »
    So let's keep facilitating it eh? Keep throwing more and more child benefit her way. Keep the state actively looking for a bigger house for her (obviously in an area she deems suitable)...keep as many support options available to her as is possible.
    She'll keep moaning about the government and how they are failing her, and their lack of use in finding her a suitable (large on account of her brood) house.

And so the circle continues.

No I already clearly said she probably gets too much :confused:

It is possible for me to think that she gets too much but to still think that I wouldn't swap places with her for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As others have said, the real story today is the support Casey received, and the message it sends to the establishment parties (whether it'll be heeded is another thing)

Although it's no surprise, I am still somewhat disgusted that MDH has been given another 7 years of living out of our pocket (while collecting another 1.4 mil on top of it), all because of this idiotic "lovable leprechaun" persona that many view him as.
    I don't buy the intellect either - he's no different than any of the other mainstream politicians we've endured over the years - as his evasiveness over the expenses and fringe benefits for his staff stories proved. He can just spin it better than most.

Still, we're stuck with him anyway, but he certainly doesn't represent me or a significant portion of the electorate it seems.. there's that much I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

But that is their own loss. It's a sad waste of life and a sad waste of potential. They need to realise that themselves. It hurts them more than it hurts you or me.

You quite clearly dont live anywhere near travellers and that makes you very lucky.
    The traveller lifestyle hurts a lot of people. The vast majority of those people who went to the polling booth to vote for Peter Casey have most definitely been affected negatively by travellers.

Only people who have had no interaction with travellers would object to what was said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

You quite clearly dont live anywhere near travellers and that makes you very lucky.
    The traveller lifestyle hurts a lot of people. The vast majority of those people who went to the polling booth to vote for Peter Casey have most definitely been affected negatively by travellers.

Only people who have had no interaction with travellers would object to what was said.

You can’t say that.

Just because.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As others have said, the real story today is the support Casey received, and the message it sends to the establishment parties (whether it'll be heeded is another thing)

Although it's no surprise, I am still somewhat disgusted that MDH has been given another 7 years of living out of our pocket (while collecting another 1.4 mil on top of it), all because of this idiotic "lovable leprechaun" persona that many view him as.
    I don't buy the intellect either - he's no different than any of the other mainstream politicians we've endured over the years - as his evasiveness over the expenses and fringe benefits for his staff stories proved. He can just spin it better than most.

Still, we're stuck with him anyway, but he certainly doesn't represent me or a significant portion of the electorate it seems.. there's that much I suppose.

Here here

Has Leo made any comment yet about the outcome.
    It would behave him now to acknowledge publicly what the rural community have said.
    He should apologise too for telling people how to vote, he clearly had no idea up to this how people have suffered at the hands of this pampered minority.
    After the last count today he certainly knows there is a problem and action needs to be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The thing is, the media will now try to demonise those who voted for Casey. They will run them down, call them clueless and racist.

When none of this is true.

People will say it shows we have a hidden bad element, when in fact they should be asking why that message resonated with so many?

Regale us of your personal tales of woe at the hands of the members of the travelling community

I clearly said that they hurt themselves more than they do you or I. I stand over that. Take two five your old kids in your local primary. One has traveller parents and the other has settled parents. No matter how much the parents do or don't do, legal or illegal, nothing will make up for the disadvantages they will give to that child. They hurt themselves and their own and the cycle continues and will keep continuing. They might also hurt you and they might hurt me - or not. But nothing will compare to the relative impact that such choices will have on the child.

These fictional characters are the margaret Cash and robbing husband types. I am sure that they are not all like that. But for my example, I am using parents of that mould as I think that it is those that are at the heart of the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

NIMAN wrote: »
    The thing is, the media will now try to demonise those who voted for Casey. They will run them down, call them clueless and racist.

People will say it shows we have a hidden bad element, when in fact they should be asking why that message resonated with so many?

The spin on Newstalk this morning around what a resounding victory for MDH this was (highest vote for any individual politician ever etc), and the constant suggestion from their panel that it was Casey's traveler comments that got him the vote it did was disgraceful

At least most of the text comments and one of the guys on the panel (Ian something-or-other) gave the more accurate story.. people are sick of political correctness, being told what to think or demonised for not being "on message" .. and calling THAT out (not Travelers) is why Casey pulled voters to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Casey shaking the hands of a visiting football team,

"Good luck, lads. But, here - avoid Dunsink Lane. Dodgy."

Casey giving a St. Paddy's Day address at the White House.

"Now, one bit of the diaspora I'm NOT proud of..."

Casey giving an honour to John Joe Nevin.

"One condition for this award. Name us all the dole cheats in the family. Ah, shíte, that'll take all day. Just the top 10, then."

briany wrote: »
    Casey shaking the hands of a visiting football team,

"Good luck, lads. But, here - avoid Dunsink Lane. Dodgy."

Casey giving a St. Paddy's Day address at the White House.

"Now, one bit of the diaspora I'm NOT proud of..."

Casey giving an honour to John Joe Nevin.

"One condition for this award. Name us all the dole cheats in the family. Ah, shíte, that'll take all day. Just the top 10, then."

John Joe Nevin is a waste of potential and talent. His days of winning medals are gone

Joe Ward now. He'll be winning medals for years to come.

Regale us of your personal tales of woe at the hands of the members of the travelling community

I clearly said that they hurt themselves more than they do you or I. I stand over that. Take two five your old kids in your local primary. One has traveller parents and the other has settled parents. No matter how much the parents do or don't do, legal or illegal, nothing will make up for the disadvantages they will give to that child. They hurt themselves and their own and the cycle continues and will keep continuing. They might also hurt you and they might hurt me - or not. But nothing will compare to the relative impact that such choices will have on the child.

These fictional characters are the margaret Cash and robbing husband types. I am sure that they are not all like that. But for my example, I am using parents of that mould as I think that it is those that are at the heart of the discussion

The ones I have met through work are the bullying intimidating demanding selfish type, really dreadful people without a single redeeming quality. I am still waiting for evidence of the marvellous culture so deserving of ethnic status.

The travellers living near me broke into my house and I had to shell out five hundred euros to replace the window they broke and other damage. The halting site was raided recently and hundreds of euros of stolen property was recovered.

I see the children from this site making their way to school, they roll up at midday or whenever suits. I suppose we should be grateful they get to school even if they are three hours late everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

I for one can vouch for people who have had negative experiences of travellers. They moved in close by in our apartment complex and to say they are loud and obnoxious would be an understatement. I was hoping to sell our apartment in the coming years to move into a house, but I'm sure we'll find it much harder to sell due to our new neighbours. Oh and they don't work as far as I can see, have about seven kids in a two bed apartment and I'm pretty sure the apartment is being paid for by the social welfare. You do have to wonder why you bust your balls working when other people (not just travellers) are handed things for free. I'm delighted Casey got such a good vote. Hopefully the disenfranchised middle will be listened to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The urban/rural divide that I've seen in reality and on here was shown in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Oops. Forgot to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The spin on Newstalk this morning around what a resounding victory for MDH this was (highest vote for any individual politician ever etc), and the constant suggestion from their panel that it was Casey's traveler comments that got him the vote it did was disgraceful

At least most of the text comments and one of the guys on the panel (Ian something-or-other) gave the more accurate story.. people are sick of political correctness, being told what to think or demonised for not being "on message" .. and calling THAT out (not Travelers) is why Casey pulled voters to him.

Anyone I know that mentioned voting for him says it was due to him being honest and that no one would choose a traveller moving next door etc. It wasnt anything to do with the issue but rather than a politician not spouting obvious bull was refreshing.
    Would never vote for him myself as he always came across as inarticulate and not quiet presidential material but people likening him to a right wing nut case are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

NIMAN wrote: »

Listening to a few radio programs today, and the line they were spinning about P Casey's success was due to him getting much more media coverage than other candidates, and that he played the media so well , no-one cared to mention that all of that media coverage was negative towards his campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Yesterday's news becomes yesterday's news very quickly these days. We live in an era that if you don't report it, don't put the emphasis on it, it never happened. I don't see Peter Casey as a future politician but I think his without-the-bull**** way of putting things across will begin to come back into fashion. Whether that's a good thing remains to be seen. Personally, I think all politicians are corrupt and on the mé fein stroke so I'd like to see less of them.

Glad to see Michael D restored as president because there was no other but equally happy to see Casey rattle the cage. And totally disgusted I never put an each way bet on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

animaal wrote: »
    Casey was not a good candidate. He would have made a terrible president.

The fact that he was given almost a quarter of first preferences despite this, shows the depth of frustration that many Irish have. A large segment of the Irish population feel they don't have anybody to represent their concerns and beliefs.

There is a vacuum. And a vacuum wants to be filled. We need a reasonable right-wing party, hopefully before a more extreme grouping fills the gap.

I wouldnt even call what we need 'right wing' a centreist party is what we need, is not jacking up the insane welfare state any more and cutting the scandalous marginal rate, 'right wing'?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭mobby

Voted Casey number 1, knew he would never make it with all the media bias. But at least he pissed off all the lefties,do_gooders and freeloaders for a few days.:D
    So little michael is back in the big House for another seven years,So be it.
    We get what we deserve and never learn. say he will sleep well tonight little michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

mobby wrote: »
    Voted Casey number 1, knew he would never make it with all the media bias. But at least he pissed off all the lefties,do_gooders and freeloaders for a few days.:D
    So little michael is back in the big House for another seven years,So be it.
    We get what we deserve and never learn. say he will sleep well tonight little michael.

Honestly, I'm not one of the huge Michael D supporters because of this election he didn't even get my number 1, but he's not some little person...he's a man of enduring political nounce, who has served the electorate here in Ireland for more years than I've lived. He is also our president and deserves a little respect. We live in a republic, we shouldn't feel ashamed by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

If I wake up tomorrow morning and say I identify as a traveller (non practicing) is there any grants or stuff I can get. Can I apply for grants to pay for my kids to see them through college (though I can afford it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

23% of the vote for Peter Casey was impressive. More than all the other candidates put together, save Higgins obviously. To be honest I never heard of him before this election for President. Have to say it was a breath of fresh air to hear someone make a statement of the obvious which the politically correct brigade and Travellers took offence to. Any politician who subscribes to the theory that Travellers are an ethnic minority has to seriously ask have they anything between their ears and do they simply lack backbone. I don't recall anyone in the media having the cojones to back him in terms of his statement re Travellers. If he had been a better public speaker he may have made more inroads vote wise.
    I think the politically correct brigade will continue to rule the roost. Casey kicked up dust and struck a chord with a large number of people. It will all settle down and the status quo will continue. Root and branch reform of how this country works will never happen. I don't see either the inclination or ability in anyone currently serving in the Dail to radically change the country for the better.
    Ireland isn't a bad little country but there is so much to fix with health and housing the first things to spring to mind. We live in hope. Without hope.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement