Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

galtee boy wrote: »
    Hi Frank, apart from the Cork City mux, are there any plans for a mux to cover north Co.Cork, ie, Mallow/Fermoy/Mitchelstown areas ?

Good evening .yes this will happen within the coming months. As.the cork city multiplex is not fully finished as of yet over the coming weeks there will be a big upgrade to the cork multiplex wich will service cork city and county with a robust signal. I am just awaiting the amplfier and the appropriate filter in order to do this . As all DAB broadcast transmittion transmitters have to comply with the red eu directive .putting just an amplifer on air will cause serious issues to adjacent frequencies and this I will not do.😠I will keep you updates on events as we complete work on current and new multiplex installations.

Regards .F

• Registered Users Posts: 38,765 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

How distant?

Probably about 50 miles - need to make a yagi I think. I can see the trace of a signal from the west, which would be Limerick-ish, on the SDR, but not enough to resolve anything with any reliability. That's just with a single stick about 40ft up.
    If Waterford gets covered, there might be some hope, but the terrain in that direction isn't favourable.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Probably about 50 miles .......

So it will still be "Local radio for local people" to coin a phrase from the League of Gentlemen :)

As far as I'm aware, UK imported cars (2016>) come with DAB as standard, although I'm open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭david23

So it will still be "Local radio for local people" to coin a phrase from the League of Gentlemen :)

As far as I'm aware, UK imported cars (2016>) come with DAB as standard, although I'm open to correction on this.

93% of new cars in the UK now come with DAB fitted as standard. In 2016 it was 80% so there has been an increase over the past few years. Most of the new cars that don't have DAB are the basic models in the range, where DAB is an optional extra.

The UK has agreed to comply with the EU directive on in car DAB even though it will cease to be a member on 31 January. The three countries where DAB take up is greatest are not EU members as of 1 February (UK, Norway & Switzerland).

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

Still a few blackspots in Cork
    Stations:

Nonstop 90s
    NRG Radio Cork
    Zenith
    Coast FM
    Wild Country
    Global
    Storm NE
    Sovereign Gold
    Atlantis

Has anyone noticed Nonstop 90s having audio problems which sounds like a jammed cd on repeat with a vo ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fmfan wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed Nonstop 90s having audio problems which sounds like a jammed cd on repeat with a vo ?.

their stream is down also. i presume it's internet issues at the studio or something.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Franko87 wrote: »
    Good evening .yes this will happen within the coming months. As.the cork city multiplex is not fully finished as of yet over the coming weeks there will be a big upgrade to the cork multiplex wich will service cork city and county with a robust signal. I am just awaiting the amplfier and the appropriate filter in order to do this . As all DAB broadcast transmittion transmitters have to comply with the red eu directive .putting just an amplifer on air will cause serious issues to adjacent frequencies and this I will not do.😠I will keep you updates on events as we complete work on current and new multiplex installations.

Regards .F

That's great news, looking forward to tuning in. Thanks Frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

their stream is down also. i presume it's internet issues at the studio or something.

They are back to normal now (stream + DAB).

Sligo mux live as of today. On block 5a

Franko87 wrote: »
    Sligo mux live as of today. On block 5a

Not picking up anything on my Roberts Stream 93i in Ballisodare about 5 miles from Sligo town. What is the range of the transmitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Are you using block 5a throughout the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Is Waterford mux on air yet?

Is Waterford mux on air yet?

Waterford I now live on bock 5A in Waterford City! Multiplex I'd FreeDAB-Wtrfrd.

Waterford DAB List:
    90s (silent)
    Kiss Cork (buffering)
    Zenith
    Wild Country
    Storm North East
    Jazz Radio
    OpenTempoFM
    Coast2coast
    now appear to be crystal clear across the city. This is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Quite a few drop-outs happening on the Dublin Freedab mux in Dublin 9. Unfortunate, as I like to listen to Zenith.

Someone referred to a problem with an amplifier on the Dublin mux. Is there still a problem, or is the current reception the best I can expect in the long-term?

’Timewarp’ now added to Waterford mux

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Can anyone recommend a good cheap dab receiver for free dab? Bonus for FM too!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

Tescos have them on special the odd time, other than that maybe try Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Tescos have them on special the odd time, other than that maybe try Amazon.

Must include DAB+.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pete Best

Currently, Currys in NI have the Roberts Play 10 for around £33.

Great little DAB/DAB+ radio, and fairly sensitive on FM too. Battery and mains.

Not sure how much that is in Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Annascaul

Quite a few drop-outs happening on the Dublin Freedab mux in Dublin 9. Unfortunate, as I like to listen to Zenith.

Someone referred to a problem with an amplifier on the Dublin mux. Is there still a problem, or is the current reception the best I can expect in the long-term?

The signal from the Dublin Freedab mux is rather weak.

I have no idea, if there are any plans to increase transmitter power.

I have reason to believe DAB+ isn't really catching on in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Annascaul wrote: »
    The signal from the Dublin Freedab mux is rather weak.

I have no idea, if there are any plans to increase transmitter power.

I have reason to believe DAB+ isn't really catching on in Ireland.

Yea they guys need to do something. Great line up unfortunately not easy to listen to in a car. Breaks up alot.

castle2012 wrote: »
    Yea they guys need to do something. Great line up unfortunately not easy to listen to in a car. Breaks up alot.

Cork much improved signal in Cork lately, so I guess it’s as people say, we have to be patient. I don’t disagree at all with you

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

I noticed that a lot lately too, I live near the Square in Tallaght. Funny enough the RTE mux breaks up just past the Square too.

ITV2 wrote: »
    I noticed that a lot lately too, I live near the Square in Tallaght. Funny enough the RTE mux breaks up just past the Square too.

Used to get the RTÉ mux in the car as far as Kildare/Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

I still do get it in Wicklow, it's just after the Square it drops a lot, not sure why? the car has a shark fin DAB aerial fitted so its not my car.. odd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Annascaul

RTE Radio 1 needs around 40 FM transmitters to cover the whole island. 2FM, Lyric and RaidioNaG, are also using around 40 transmitters each. Today FM and Newstalk need around 24 FM transmitters do roughly do the same thing.

With DAB+ Ireland can probably covered with 8 to 12 transmitters only, while transmitting 10 to 14 programmes each. DAB+ would be a big reduction in cost for RTE and various other radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

ITV2 wrote: »
    I still do get it in Wicklow, it's just after the Square it drops a lot, not sure why? the car has a shark fin DAB aerial fitted so its not my car.. odd ?

If the signal is coming from 3rock, then the mountains themselves get in the way when you are up around The Square. Some FM stations have the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Spotted this on HUKD, DAB+ Might be of interest £34+£5 delivery to Ireland...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303147507229

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

I've read elsewhere that Dublin FreeDAB is back on -- great news but not seen it posted here ?

Advertisement