Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Free-Dab in Dublin was off this afternoon. Did a rescan in the car and only the RTÉ Mux was available

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Spotted that FreeDAB and some FM pirates are currently off air in Dublin.

FreeDAB back on in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Good range of stations on dab in Dublin. With rte shutting down would it be worth moving close to the rtes dab site? It definitely would be picked up by more people. After all so many live in the outskirts of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Smash Dublin

There's going to be major upgrades early in the new year I've heard 👀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

There's going to be major upgrades early in the new year I've heard ��

Hi Smash Dublin your station sounds great. Will you be on the freedab?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fmfan wrote: »
    Hi Smash Dublin your station sounds great. Will you be on the freedab?

they already are as far as i understand.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Did a rescan thismorning in santry and got the freeDAB mux for the first time on my non DAB+ compatible tuner in my range rover, happy out now as I can listen to 90s jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Any up-to-date FreeDAB lists for different areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

Any up-to-date FreeDAB lists for different areas?

Waterford launches January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Those are all pertinent points but they're arguments as to why internet radio isn't a replacement for FM, they're not arguments for why we need DAB.
    DAB answers the questions: How do you scale "Internet Radio"; how do you bring "Internet radio" to your car without relying on a phone & Bluetooth connection.

Folks gravitate to Internet Radio because it allows them to listen to a station not broadcast in their area on FM, for those of us that don't live in Dublin, this means being able to listen to more than just RTE and the local and adjacent monopolies.

In my case, that means being able to listen to Zenith or Radio1 Extra, stations I actually want to listen to in spite of efforts by others to deny me that.
    Franko87 wrote: »
    Waterford launches January.
    Very nice, you've achieved in less than a year, what RTE was unwilling to do.

DAB answers the questions: How do you scale "Internet Radio"; how do you bring "Internet radio" to your car without relying on a phone & Bluetooth connection.

Folks gravitate to Internet Radio because it allows them to listen to a station not broadcast in their area on FM, for those of us that don't live in Dublin, this means being able to listen to more than just RTE and the local and adjacent monopolies.

In my case, that means being able to listen to Zenith or Radio1 Extra, stations I actually want to listen to in spite of efforts by others to deny me that.

Very nice, you've achieved in less than a year, what RTE was unwilling to do.

It is a struggle. But the goal that was set is being achieved. Just to update all here on the current events

January 2020.
    Cork multiplex is being upgraded (coverage )
    Dublin multiplex is being upgraded (coverage)
    Dundalk multiplex is being upgraded (coverage)
    Waterford multiplex. (Being launched)
    Sligo multiplex .(under test .)
    South west multiplex is being planned and site secured.

Testing in Sligo? Thats great,did you finally get a site? When are you hoping to launch in Sligo?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Testing in Sligo? Thats great,did you finally get a site? When are you hoping to launch in Sligo?

This is tba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jonny one

The RTE dab transmitters will cease broadcasting on April 13th 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Jonny one wrote: »

Sure 252LW is closing down years at this stage, I can’t see it happening, There’s a huge campaign to try & save RTE Gold, I’d imagine that date will be extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 avidlistener

it would be great if RTE gold’s lifeline were to be extended but it seems unlikely as there has been a lot happening this week which indicates that the winding down has been set in motion e.g this weekend is unfortunately the last for the weekend presenters.

It's going, they can't save everything. Gold had momentum, shame it can't continue on automation even on other platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lengon

Where does that info come from?

lengon wrote: »
    Where does that info come from?

From a DM on twitter from one of the departing weekend djs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

That's Easter Monday , a bank holiday.

Seems odd that they would do it on that day .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Nails Mahoney has also tweeted that it is his last show this weekend.

However he has tweeted that he is starting on UnitedDJS in the New Year.

RTE shut down their MW service on Easter Monday back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Trax Dublin posted today some upgrades in Dublin. Can anyone report has the reception improved or is it changes to the line up?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

castle2012 wrote: »
    Trax Dublin posted today some upgrades in Dublin. Can anyone report has the reception improved or is it changes to the line up?

I can confirm it's much better in North Dublin. Before I needed the antenna to be near an upstairs window, now I can get it freely throughout the house. Haven't had any reception loss yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Why oh why cant RTE continue their Digital radio stations on the internet and on Saorview, Virgin, Eir TV platforms etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

Why oh why cant RTE continue their Digital radio stations on the internet and on Saorview, Virgin, Eir TV platforms etc..?

Money. Would still cost at bit to run them online, and on them platforms also. What they are doing is ridiculous. I can think of a lot of other things RTE can rid of instead of DAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

keeping them on virgin and itv platforms probably would be a bit of a cost in fairness, saorview probably not so much, but even then listening to radio via tv would be a minority activity as it's fixed listening (you can't take it anywhere) unlike fm, dab where it exists and internet where it is genuinely reliable enough to use it for listening on the move.
    keeping them online would be cheap as chips though as they could and would in all likely hood be automated if in the event they did stay online after all. getting them off terrestrial platforms will save some money but removing them offline will save very very little to nothing, certainly nothing that will help their situation.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I can think of a lot of other things RTE can rid of instead of DAB.

Apart from presenters pay, everything RTE ever propose cutting gets a backlash from the public and politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

keeping them on virgin and itv platforms probably would be a bit of a cost in fairness, saorview probably not so much, but even then listening to radio via tv would be a minority activity as it's fixed listening (you can't take it anywhere) unlike fm, dab where it exists and internet where it is genuinely reliable enough to use it for listening on the move.

Galway Bay FM are on the Virgin TV platform nationwide !!! If they can afford it, RTE certainly can !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

RTE Gold and the other RTE Dab only stations are a cost.No revenue is generated.

RTE Gold incurs significant costs for presenters , studios,royalties , transmission facilities etc

While it may be low hanging fruit in the commercial reality that we live in it has to close.

You can argue that RnaG is a bigger cost but imagine the back lash if you put closing RnaG on the table.

Possibly why Lyric was mentioned thus making the closure of Gold more palatable.

Advertisement