Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Galway Bay FM are on the Virgin TV platform nationwide !!! If they can afford it, RTE certainly can !

RTE don't pay VM for carriage afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Smash Dublin

New Stations added on FreeDab Box UK & Dance UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

When is rte gold closing?
    When is rte dab going off air?
    I'll certainly miss gold

Rte spending 70 million+ all borrowed,on DTT was a mistake imho
    Satellite for rural areas would have been much chesper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jonny one

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I'll certainly miss gold

Dab is closing Easter 2020 but my guess is an automated jukebox gold stream will continue online & maybe on saorview.The thing about RTE Gold is, it doesn't have any friends & political clout the way Lyric or longwave had. In fact I'd wager local radio stations are probably lobbying TDs for the demise of Dab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Jonny one wrote: »
    Dab is closing Easter 2020 but my guess is an automated jukebox gold stream will continue online & maybe on saorview.The thing about RTE Gold is, it doesn't have any friends & political clout the way Lyric or longwave had. In fact I'd wager local radio stations are probably lobbying TDs for the demise of Dab.

I doubt local radio stations give a shyte about DAB to be honest. None of their audience does and none of the digital stations are taking advertising revenue, so why would they?

DAB and the digital stations are non - core businesses which lose money. They were always going to be in line for the chop if cuts were needed.

Lyric, RnaG and LW are at least filling some sort of public service remit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

WiFi radio is the only way to go .....

Tried really hard to get into DAB radio several years ago, but the choice & poor quality of signal here in the ROI was so limited as to be worthless, so I gave up.

Totally addicted to WiFi radio though, with an unlimited selection of stations & genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

WiFi radio is the only way to go .....

Tried really hard to get into DAB radio several years ago, but the choice & poor quality of signal here in the ROI was so limited as to be worthless, so I gave up.

Totally addicted to WiFi radio though, with an unlimited selection of stations & genres.

There is not much difference between wifi radio and DAB .as DAB is the same concept as online radio with the difference that it is modulated onto a carrier signal and broadcast .Regarding the coverage of DAB In Ireland. The poor coverage is due to lack of infrastructure in place for DAB .RTE are runing low power multiplexes (300watts or so) with services that can be found on any conventional fm radio (appart from gold pulse what have you . Personally I am of the feeling that DAB Will eventually take off in Ireland if its pushed but with the BAI to afraid to risk jeopardising the comfy position there in with Fm it will remain open for pirate to take advantage of .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I'll certainly miss gold

Rte spending 70 million+ all borrowed,on DTT was a mistake imho
    Satellite for rural areas would have been much chesper
    RTENL condensed 188 analogue sites into 64 digital sites, and increased the population coverage in the process.

The number of sites covering "rural" areas is quite small

Franko87 wrote: »
    There is not much difference between wifi radio and DAB .as DAB is the same concept as online radio with the difference that it is modulated onto a carrier signal and broadcast . .

A common mistake people make when they hear this, and then take a trip to Curry's or Power City & buy a DAB radio (presuming they can listen to BBC Radio 4) :(

...but they can't, because DAB only transmits short distances within borders, so BBC radio is not on the menu on a DAB radio in the ROI. Looking at my trusty Roberts 93i there is a choice of FM, DAB or Internet radio, which is where I'm at these days ...

I realise that the signal transmitted via internet radio is Digital, but that's WiFi/internet radio > which should not be confused with DAB.

A common mistake people make when they hear this, and then take a trip to Curry's or Power City & buy a DAB radio (presuming they can listen to BBC Radio 4) :(

...but they can't, because DAB only transmits short distances within borders, so BBC radio is not on the menu on a DAB radio in the ROI. Looking at my trusty Roberts 93i there is a choice of FM, DAB or Internet radio, which is where I'm at these days ...

I realise that the signal transmitted via internet radio is Digital, but that's WiFi/internet radio > which should not be confused with DAB.

My apologies mabe I explained it not to your understanding .yes there is a distinct difference . Internet radio and DAB . Internet radio is only useful if you have an internet connection.( fine if your at home.) The primary concept of dab is on the go listening click and go . Today's internet provides will charge you a arm and a leg for data usage . Now if that was not the case then things would be different If the infastructre was there for DAB (coverage) then your views would he different. You can't presently rate something that is not really rateable at present. Btw. May I ask roughly what location are you based .cork Dublin Midlands. Ect.?

• Advertisement

Thanks Frank, but even with a good DAB infrastructure I still wouldn't get the Beeb on DAB, hence it would be no good to me.

I'm South Dublin.

Thanks Frank, but even with a good DAB infrastructure I still wouldn't get the Beeb on DAB, hence it would be no good to me.
    I'm South Dublin.

With all due respect. I appreciate your view on DAB as you have your right to make your own opinion .however needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. In lamens terms one means opinion is a far cry from the reality of what should be . I wish you a happy new year sir.ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

With all due respect. I appreciate your view on DAB as you have your right to make your own opinion .however needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. In lamens terms one means opinion is a far cry from the reality of what should be . I wish you a happy new year sir.ðŸ˜

Hi Frank, Over the last few days I have been able to pick up freedab in South Drogheda. Its very glichy unfortunately. Is there any plans to improve? I know the rté Mux is perfect, Maybe it's the site

castle2012 wrote: »
    Hi Frank, Over the last few days I have been able to pick up freedab in South Drogheda. Its very glichy unfortunately. Is there any plans to improve? I know the rté Mux is perfect, Maybe it's the site

Hi sir .yes we have not yes finished with the Dublin mux. Unfortunately our spectrum mask filter is limited to the amount of power that can broadcast to there for another critical spectral mask filter had to he orderd in order to A keep within the legal limits required (whether licenced or unlicensed its prudent to keep within the requirements) B increase power that is allowed by the new filter to achive a more robust signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Hi sir .yes we have not yes finished with the Dublin mux. Unfortunately our spectrum mask filter is limited to the amount of power that can broadcast to there for another critical spectral mask filter had to he orderd in order to A keep within the legal limits required (whether licenced or unlicensed its prudent to keep within the requirements) B increase power that is allowed by the new filter to achive a more robust signal.
    That's great news. Great idea with freedab. So many of us including myself bought a new car with Dab included. I can see the project working very well. Best of luck for 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Will freedab ever come to Cavan and Monaghan and also Northern Ireland any time soon?

Mr Snow wrote: »
    Will freedab ever come to Cavan and Monaghan and also Northern Ireland any time soon?

Mr snow . We will announce new multiplexes in the second half of 2020 for now our multiplexes are as follows .

DUBLIN.
    CORK
    DONIGAL
    WATERFORD .(GOES LIVE ON THE 26TH OF JANUARY. )

Looks like the DIGITAL era is takeing a step forward as DB digital prepair for there trial .

http://dbdb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

I've been looking at the website - they apparently going to simulcast their 10 stations in DAB and DAB+ (if and when they get a trial license)

This just about leaves enough room for the 10 DAB stations to be broadcast in 64k mono while the DAB+ simulcast has just enough space for 40k stereo

This is not going to be better quality than FM !

kazoo106 wrote: »
    I've been looking at the website - they apparently going to simulcast their 10 stations in DAB and DAB+ (if and when they get a trial license)

This just about leaves enough room for the 10 DAB stations to be broadcast in 64k mono while the DAB+ simulcast has just enough space for 40k stereo

Indeed .this begs the question why try this when the outcome will be the same .( trial only) it's been done and done done .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,765 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

kazoo106 wrote: »

Indeed, I don't expect it to be any standard of high quality.

Hhahahaha....
    "20% of Irish households already own a DAB radio. It has also captured the attention and imagination of ‘pirate’ broadcasters now broadcasting illegally on DAB to Cork and Dublin."
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Indeed, I don't expect it to be any standard of high quality.

Hhahahaha....
    "20% of Irish households already own a DAB radio. It has also captured the attention and imagination of ‘pirate’ broadcasters now broadcasting illegally on DAB to Cork and Dublin."

The reason for pirate multiplexes is self explanority. The licenceing to obtain a mux licence is trial based. And might not change .when the licenceing changes to a point when one can put the resources into a network knowing a full licence contract is secured then FreeDAB will move foward .until then with the legacy of DAB trials in Ireland being a success it is time for the bai to see the benefits however small and make and effort for multiplex owners to implement the infactrucute necessary to push listener choice in Ireland. This is the bottom line .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

"trial" ???

More like testing our patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,765 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Well, I hope they pull their collective fingers out soon, as I've just bought an AV amp with DAB+ and it would be a shame to waste it. The FM bit works, of course, so I'm not desperate.
    In the meantime I'm putting up a better antenna for DAB in the hope I can pull in some distant signals.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Mr snow . We will announce new multiplexes in the second half of 2020 for now our multiplexes are as follows .

DUBLIN.
    CORK
    DONIGAL
    WATERFORD .(GOES LIVE ON THE 26TH OF JANUARY. )

Hi Frank, apart from the Cork City mux, are there any plans for a mux to cover north Co.Cork, ie, Mallow/Fermoy/Mitchelstown areas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RoryDublin

How many cars on the road in Ireland have digital radio ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

RoryDublin wrote: »
    How many cars on the road in Ireland have digital radio ?

I haven’t a figure, but I’d say nearly every car post-2014

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I haven’t a figure, but I’d say nearly every car post-2014

Wouldn't agree there, my parents have bought two new Toyotas in that time higher spec models and no dab radio

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    .....The FM bit works, of course, so I'm not desperate.
    In the meantime I'm putting up a better antenna for DAB in the hope I can pull in some distant signals.

How distant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

UK imports will have DAB typically.

Advertisement