Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just read Harden is the first player since Wilt to go for back to back 55+ point games.

Still hate watching him though. Which is sad, because I used to like his game.

Golden State looking much more like their old selves in their last 3 games with Curry in particular shooting more 3s seeming to be driving a lot of this momentum. Klay looks like he can't miss again too which obviously helps, while Durant has been solid all season long in fairness.

I wonder what Curry could put up if he was ball hogging like Harden and given the same latitude from Kerr as Harden gets from D'Antoni?

Every time OKC have a chance to go top/joint top in the West they lose a game they should win, tonight to Washington ffs. This is the 3rd time in the last 3 weeks they could have done this. Very frustrating. Anyway, need to sleep. Night.
    OKC ONCE AGAIN in a game that could really help their seeding lose to a team they should beat, this time aginast Atlanta. If they had won the important games they had in the last 3 weeks alone they'd be the 1 seed now. SMH.

OKC again last night lose a game they should win to potentially (at the time) go top/joint top of the West. This time at home to the Twolves. This is the 4th time in the last 3 weeks they've done this.

Noel's concussion injury looked bad in real time and worse in replays.

Guess who lost again tonight to a team they should have beaten?

Full article here:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25771897/steph-curry-unleashing-impossible-range

But for the lazy....key point in bold.
    Dw-9qUTVYAE4wu6.jpg:large

StephHexChart.png

Dw_-6FmVAAEAGio.jpg

Stephen Curry had a pretty great weekend. Against Chicago on Friday, he passed Jason Terry to become the third-most prolific 3-point shooter ever. Then on Sunday he made 11 3-points shots as the Golden State Warriors beat the Dallas Mavericks. It was the seventh time in his career that Curry has made at least 11 3s in a game. All other players in NBA history have combined to do that only eight times.

At 30 years old, Curry is the best shooter this league has ever seen, and he still has a lot left in the tank. Barring injury, he will own every major shooting record in the sport by the time he retires.

Curry trails only Ray Allen and Reggie Miller in career 3s. It's merely a matter of time until he shoots past those Hall of Famers and becomes the all-time king of the perimeter.

Steph Curry Career 3s

Curry is halfway through his 10th season in the NBA. It took him only 655 games to catch Terry, who required 1,410 games to make 2,282 3s. Allen made his last 3-point shot in 2014 when he was 38 and playing in his 1,300th game. At his current pace over the past five years, Curry should surpass Allen's mark when he's just 32, and should become the first NBA player to hit over 3,000 triples just a few games later. If Curry stays healthy, there's no reason to believe he won't get to 4,000 or even 5,000 made triples by the time he's done.

One of the keys to his greatness is his range. Look at how many of those 3s occur way beyond the arc. Simply put, Curry isn't just the best 3-point shooter ever, he's the best deep 3-point shooter ever.

Consider this staggering stat: This season Curry is shooting nearly 54 percent on his 3s between 30 and 35 feet. Keep in mind the NBA makes just 35 percent of its 3s overall, and under 22 percent from between 30-35 feet.

Over the past four-plus seasons, Curry has made 48 percent from this deep 3-point area. Look at this leaderboard:

Made 3s: 30-35 Feet (Since 2014-15)
    SHOOTER 3PM 3PA 3P%
    Stephen Curry 45 94 47.9
    Damian Lillard 33 110 30.0
    LeBron James 15 42 35.7
    Trae Young 13 32 40.6
    Eric Gordon 13 41 31.7
    Source: NBA Advanced Stats

You're not supposed to be able to score from out there, let alone at that rate. Another crazy stat: A hypothetical NBA offense that featured Curry launching from 30-35 feet wouldn't just be good -- it would be the most efficient offense in NBA history.

These deep shots might only make up a small fraction of Curry's total deep balls, but they prove that Curry has the best range of all time. The mere threat of a deep-range launch from Curry forces entire schemes to adjust. The sample size is small, but the impact is real.

One reason Curry has captured America's heart is that we've all tried to shoot. Most of us can't dunk or soar through the air like Michael Jordan or LeBron James, but we can all at least shoot. The most remarkable thing about Curry is that on a planet full of billions of people who have tried to shoot a basketball, one dude is so much better at it than the rest of us, even all the other professional basketball players in the NBA.

When the NBA added the 3-point line 40 years ago, nobody could've pictured an MVP and a scoring champion who thrived this way from downtown. Nobody imagined a guy who could hit 45 percent of his 12 3-point tries per game. But that's exactly what Curry is doing this season.

Curry's status as the best shooter in the NBA is unquestionable. A quick look at the stats of the NBA's most active 3-point shooters over the past four-plus seasons reveals that Curry is clearly the best long-range scorer in the league -- and it's not close.

3-point volume and efficiency since 2014-15

Since the beginning of the 2014-15 season, when Steve Kerr took over in Oakland and the Warriors took over the NBA, 105 players have attempted at least 1,000 3-point shots. Of that group, Curry ranks first in overall makes and second in efficiency. It's not fair, my dudes. He shoots more than anyone, and with the exception of the ridiculous Kyle Korver, he sinks them at a higher rate.

No player in the history of the NBA has combined range, volume and efficiency from downtown as well as Curry, and over the course of the Warriors' dynasty, he has changed the way the entire league looks at 3-point scoring. Curry's jumper is so lethal that he has become the most efficient volume scorer on the planet -- of the league's top 20 scorers, nobody has a higher true shooting percentage than Curry. Not even Giannis Antetokounmpo, and all he does is dunk it.

Coming into this decade, 3-point shooting was a relatively niche skill reserved for role players or the occasional sharpshooting All-Stars like Allen and Miller. But now shooting is everything, as Curry showed us the 3-pointer can be the dominant shot of the league's most dominant scorers.

You might argue that LeBron James is the best player of this decade and Kevin Durant is its greatest scorer, but if the legacy of this decade is the 3, then Curry is definitive superstar of our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,552 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

OKC had one of the easiest strength of schedules up to a couple weeks ago and from here on it's one of the top 5 toughest, if they can't beat the bad teams they're in a lot of trouble.

• Advertisement

OKC had one of the easiest strength of schedules up to a couple weeks ago and from here on it's one of the top 5 toughest, if they can't beat the bad teams they're in a lot of trouble.

And yet Playoff P :pac::rolleyes: is having his best year ever in the League and they'll have 2 All Stars with him and Russ this year. Adams is very good in his position without being offensively elite, but these bad losses will bite them in the ass from a seeding perspective. BUT....despite all of this, no-one will want to play them in the Play Offs. They're likely the team the change to Play Off basketball affects the least in the League. I can't see them beating GS/getting to the Finals, but with the right draw they could get to the West Finals.

Nets freeing Fareid to join Houston. Houston want to trade Melo before signing Faried....good luck with that. That’s real penny pinching stuff.

OKC @ Philly is on Sky right now btw

OKC @ Philly is on Sky right now btw

Yeah you're gonna wanna watch the 4th quarter in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah you're gonna wanna watch the 4th quarter in this one.

Exciting ending!

• Advertisement

They really let them play (physically) tonight in that OKC and Philly game - can't remember seeing the refs let as much go as that in the paint recently.

OKC did their best to choke and blow it but pulled through. Hard to see how they pull that one out away and lose to so many bad teams recently at home - they're a real enigma. Like I said yesterday, no-one will want to play them in the Play Offs. Even if you beat them you'll be beaten up and softened up for the next opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Half way through the first quarter of the Lakers/Rockets game and I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch it, players can't get in the vicinity of Harden without a foul being called and you can see they are afraid to.

On the Windhorst pod the other day someone mentioned that in either one or possibly both of Harden’s 57 and 58 point games* not one basket was assisted........all iso. I’ve never heard of anything like this before.

Insane, and horrible to watch.

* it was badly phrased and difficult to tell if they meant one or both of the games - I assume they meant just one as this kinda stat couldn’t really be repeatable so close to another unassisted game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That's just insane. They really are a horrible team to watch, like end of the first there and Gordon could have had an easy floater/short jump shot but decided to wheel back out for a contested 3, which he missed. They took 18 3's in the quarter, nicely on pace to beat their record of 70 from the other night!!

Stuck with this game, first half ended up not being bad, but the 3rd quarter has been septic, refs are all over the Lakers, giving them nothing and calling everything on them, some of it is woeful, has brought the Rockets back into it big time.

On the Windhorst pod the other day someone mentioned that in either one or possibly both of Harden’s 57 and 58 point games* not one basket was assisted........all iso. I’ve never heard of anything like this before.

Insane, and horrible to watch.

* it was badly phrased and difficult to tell if they meant one or both of the games - I assume they meant just one as this kinda stat couldn’t really be repeatable so close to another unassisted game.

It was BOTH, and now it’s 3 as he put up 48 last night unassisted. 163points unassisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Nice to see Philly lose last night, I can't stand Sky hook Simmons and Jimmy cry baby Butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

James Harden is going full MJ - only player since Big Wilt to have 19 consecutive 30+ games, 54.3ppg in the last 3.

And yet I still have a hard time seeing his team getting to the WCF.

He's gonna burn out even faster than he normally does, his 100% iso game will get destroyed in a 7 game series.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    James Harden is going full MJ - only player since Big Wilt to have 19 consecutive 30+ games, 54.3ppg in the last 3.

And yet I still have a hard time seeing his team getting to the WCF.

Aside from the points totals, there is no comparison between Harden and MJ.

I'd honestly rather watch San Antonio and their virtually star-less roster play team ball any day of the week rather than this crap. I said last year I didn't like how the Rockets played as a team, Harden is doing all of that on and then some on his own. I don't understand how anyone could find this good to watch.

AD out 1-2 weeks just as NO get Mirotic back. They’re screwed now, Play Offs unlikely. Shame, as they look great at times.

• Advertisement

Aside from the points totals, there is no comparison between Harden and MJ.

I'd honestly rather watch San Antonio and their virtually star-less roster play team ball any day of the week rather than this crap. I said last year I didn't like how the Rockets played as a team, Harden is doing all of that on and then some on his own. I don't understand how anyone could find this good to watch.
    That's what I'm talking about though - Harden is playing like MJ in 86/87, trying to iso & do it all himself.

Player | Year | PER | TS% | USG% | Box Plus/Minus
    Michael Jordan | 1986-87 | 29.78 | .562 | 38.29 | 8.62
    James Harden | 2018-19 | 30.17 | .6223 | 40.06 | 11.76

He's going to burn out fast and/or simply get destroyed by teams playing team ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The world might end at the end of the Bulls/Cavs tonight, as one of them has to win! :eek:

Paully D wrote: »
    The world might end at the end of the Bulls/Cavs tonight, as one of them has to win! :eek:

Has all the markings of a 54-55 win or a 6 OT game. :pac:

Meant to post this when it happened (last week I think):

Insane skill level from a 7footer.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Im in Philly the week after next. Raps are in town. Im staying a 5 minute walk from the arena. Not sure how Im breaking it to the wife that im going to this as well, leaving her in a strange city on her own with our 3 year old :pac:

bot43 wrote: »
    Im in Philly the week after next. Raps are in town. Im staying a 5 minute walk from the arena. Not sure how Im breaking it to the wife that im going to this as well, leaving her in a strange city on her own with our 3 year old :pac:

Bring them FFS! even if they don't like Basketball they'll like the atmosphere/experience./ Philly is a loud crowd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

They are already coming to Wizards v Cavs with me a few nights later and Im going to Wizards V Bucks a few nights previous.

Ill try sort something. Tickets reasonable enough - $35 for top tier. Not bad.

On another note: I hope Derrick Rose gets the MIP award.

He's close to a 50/40/90 season & showing more than streaks of greatness.

Have they ever given MIP to a player who is having a season worse than one they've had before?

I think he's more likely in the running for 6MOTY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This Cavs team might just be the worst team I’ve ever seen.

I know they’ve already won more games, but somehow they may be even worse than the Bobcats in 2012! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement