Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Anyone going to the London Game?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I’d rather watch Steph do it like that than Harden score 30+ with 2 made field goals.....as he did recently.

Steph is a career 90%+ FT shooter, if he went hunting for fouls he’d be scoring at a higher rate.
    Same here!

Watching the Boston game from last night. Boston took a time out 29seconds into the game. Can’t recall a team ever taking a time out that early into a game before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,552 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think Pop had like a 16 second timeout last season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Yeah Pop calls a very early timeout quite often. I remember that one last year, somebody dropped an uncontested 3 on the spurs on the first possession and pop called a timeout straight away. Nobody on the team even looked suprised.

Seen Kerr do it a few times too actually.

• Advertisement

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Yeah Pop calls a very early timeout quite often. I remember that one last year, somebody dropped an uncontested 3 on the spurs on the first possession and pop called a timeout straight away. Nobody on the team even looked suprised.

Seen Kerr do it a few times too actually.

I remember Pop once getting a T deliberately in the first minute and early time outs, but can't recall him calling a time oput that early - but not doubting it either. Will take your word(s) for it.

GS laying down a marker last night against Denver with 51 in the first quarter (NBA record) and 10 3s in that period alone.

Philly beat the crap out of Minny - I'm a little surprised at the scoreline tbh given how well the Twolves have been playing recently. Butler must be in their heads still.

OKC ONCE AGAIN in a game that could really help their seeding lose to a team they should beat, this time aginast Atlanta. If they had won the important games they had in the last 3 weeks alone they'd be the 1 seed now. SMH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Completely missed the Hornets v Spurs game the other night. Went to check Reddit to see if Rudy Gay is available for tonights game only to see they lost the other night! 6-4 in the last 10 but slowly dropping, currently 7th in the league.

Hopefully Spurs can win against the Mavericks tonight. 3 losses in a row would be bad. They seem to do ok when a player is out and have definitely gotten comfortable together since their string of losses in November but they need to get these off nights in control. It's ok if they have an off night then smash a win the next day but they can't afford losing streaks right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Dennis Smith Jr looks like he's on his way out of Dallas, supposed to be their PG of the future but I guess they never expected to draft Doncic (well done, Atlanta and Sacramento) and they don't look too good together.

Rumour that Orlando and Phoenix are the teams interested which makes sense considering both have needed a PG for ages. With Dallas not happy with DeAndre Jordan I wouldn't be at all surprised if they tried to swap Smith Jr for Mo Bamba straight up.

DSJ looked good last year so surprised Dallas are giving up on him already. He is only 21 so obviously is gonna improve. Doncic will be their main man for sure but they could build a team around them. Mo Bamba isnt getting much minutes cos Vuc has been pretty healthy all year. DJ Agustin is decent but they need an upgrade at the point and DSJ could be that guy.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Completely missed the Hornets v Spurs game the other night. Went to check Reddit to see if Rudy Gay is available for tonights game only to see they lost the other night! 6-4 in the last 10 but slowly dropping, currently 7th in the league.

Hopefully Spurs can win against the Mavericks tonight. 3 losses in a row would be bad. They seem to do ok when a player is out and have definitely gotten comfortable together since their string of losses in November but they need to get these off nights in control. It's ok if they have an off night then smash a win the next day but they can't afford losing streaks right now.

Great stat from the Hornets Spurs game, Tony Parker now has a winning record against every team in the NBA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I remember Pop once getting a T deliberately in the first minute and early time outs, but can't recall him calling a time oput that early - but not doubting it either. Will take your word(s) for it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/its-never-too-early-for-gregg-popovich-to-call-a-timeout/amp/

Good article on the topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Spurs playing the Mavericks now. If someone wants to sneak into the locker room and use the app on Doncic's phone to loosen his self lacing shoes I would be ok with that. We need a win :pac:

Nets came back out of nowhere there to snatch it from the Rockets in OT. Harden with 58 and 23 FTA :rolleyes: 2 misses coming in the last few minutes and then OT. 5-19 from 3 too. Really think his inefficiencies are being completely overlooked on the run, FTs really masking a lot.

Steph going full Steph in the 3rd, 23 points with 7-8 from 3, crazy!

Pelicans/Warriors was a really entertaining game from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

kmart6 wrote: »
    Nets came back out of nowhere there to snatch it from the Rockets in OT. Harden with 58 and 23 FTA :rolleyes: 2 misses coming in the last few minutes and then OT. 5-19 from 3 too. Really think his inefficiencies are being completely overlooked on the run, FTs really masking a lot.

Did you see where the rockets took a record breaking 70 threes? Spencer dinwiddie was on fire, that last three was crazy. Irving was unreal for the celtics last night as well, career high 18 assists with 27 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

With Calepa out too Harden is going to have to go for 50+ every night just to make the playoffs, that was a Kemba game last night, he's gonna completely burn out by the post season. They were playing 6'5 PJ Tucker at center, Jarret Allen had 24 rebounds!

Paully D wrote: »

Only mentioned Wilt recently on here. Really people should appreciate what Wilt did more.

kmart6 wrote: »

Steph’s 48 against Dallas was better imo, he hit one crazy lay up in particular as well as some deeeeeep 3s. Huge game against Denver too (when he was in the game - he got pulled early as they kicked their asses).

I’m one of those very rare people who really appreciates FT shooting - %’s are one of the first thing I look at for seasons, careers etc. as it’s a real marker for elite shooting.

I also love 3s.

But I hate watching Harden.

• Advertisement

Harden has more iso possessions this season than any other entire team, what he's doing is good for his numbers but it's neither winning nor entertaining basketball.

Such a variance in Green's +/- figure over the last two games for pretty similar stat lines but with higher scoring last night. I really don't see the purpose of +/-

@Denver
    470666.jpeg
    V Pelicans
    470667.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Didn't pop get someone to foul Shaq to start the game before

nerd69 wrote: »

Sure did. First play, at the half court circle.

Might want to try that with Lonzo when they play next, shooting 41% from the line, the worst FT% of any starter in the league and he's a guard!

Might want to try that with Lonzo when they play next, shooting 41% from the line, the worst FT% of any starter in the league and he's a guard!

For me that's unforgivable. With shooting coaches and shot doctors etc. all over the states just pay someone to break down your fundamentals and build it up from scratch.

nerd69 wrote: »
    Sure did. First play, at the half court circle.

Closer to the 3 point line.,....apologies.

Gotta love Pop, I especially love the one from 2:05 on:

There's loads of these types of clips out there.

For me that's unforgivable. With shooting coaches and shot doctors etc. all over the states just pay someone to break down your fundamentals and build it up from scratch.

It's unreal, that's lower than Shaq's worst FT% season, it's lower than Steph's 3pt% :p

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

There's loads of these types of clips out there.

Total entertainment. He's absolutely class, in every sense.

• Advertisement

rushfan wrote: »
    Total entertainment. He's absolutely class, in every sense.

As I've said every year, he should be Coach of the Year every year. Every other winner is just the best runner up.

Look at this year even. They're largely playing different basketball from the rest of the league (largely), but winning again at Play Off pace after a rough start to figure out the new personnel/systems etc. And remember no one gave them a chance when DeJonte Murray went down. This is a team that since last year has lost Manu, Parker, Murray and Kawhi. It's crazy when you think about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement