Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Enzokk wrote: »
    I should have clarified, the point he has is not that they won but that the PM is weak. Of those not dependent on her for their job in government less than half voted in favour of her.

So my argument to him is if the Prime Minister is week then the mandate for Brexit is weak and add to that the fact that there was foreign money involved and people were misled and electoral rules were broken means there is a lot of valid reasons to hold a second referendum.

If he argues otherwise then he's basically saying that a vote is only binding when it suits him and not when it doesn't which is the kind of hypocritical rich boy attitude the likes of him has. You can't say there is a strong mandate for something when they get just over 50% and then argue when there is almost 65% for something else that isn't a strong mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

awec wrote: »
    The Labour plan is literally just "get another deal". The thing that's been ruled out numerous times.

The UK is heading for a crisis. No deal is a disaster, the government's plan is going down the toilet and the opposition have nothing to offer instead.

They are hopelessly divided, and that is just the Tory party.
    Look across the bench at Labour, they can't even agree themselves what deal they would try and negotiate.

The tories are going through this cathartic experience now, Labour are holding off the inevitable as it will be their turn soon to put up or shut up on what Brexit they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

seamus wrote: »
    That's not how party politics work. You toe the party line or you leave. She only needs to find someone to replace the DUP.
    As much as the SNP hate them, Sturgeon might be the one to turn to, in exchange for assurances about Scottish interests.

There is more chance of SF facilitating the Tories than the SNP at this stage. Especially seeing what happened when the SNP abstained bringing down Labour in 79 and ushering in Thatcher.

Unless the Tories promise indyref2 then there's little else for the SNP to engage them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

markodaly wrote: »
    They are hopelessly divided, and that is just the Tory party.
    Look across the bench at Labour, they can't even agree themselves what deal they would try and negotiate.

The tories are going through this cathartic experience now, Labour are holding off the inevitable as it will be their turn soon to put up or shut up on what Brexit they want.

How many Labour MPs want a hard Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lame duck Prime Minister if there ever was one.

She may not last the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭Enzokk

devnull wrote: »
    So my argument to him is if the Prime Minister is week then the mandate for Brexit is weak and add to that the fact that there was foreign money involved and people were misled and electoral rules were broken means there is a lot of valid reasons to hold a second referendum.

If he argues otherwise then he's basically saying that a vote is only binding when it suits him and not when it doesn't which is the kind of hypocritical rich boy attitude the likes of him has. You can't say there is a strong mandate for something when they get just over 50% and then argue when there is almost 65% for something else that isn't a strong mandate.

Agreed, JRM doesn't care about anything other than getting Brexit where he and his fellow bankers and investment houses can profit of the relaxation of regulations. He is as big of a snake as you can get in parliament and this is seen by his refusal to put his name forward as a potential leader. He would rather do his work from the backbenches and not take any responsibility.

All that said he is not wrong when he says she is weak. He has ulterior motives for saying it but that doesn't mean he is wrong on this point. That is all I was saying. A lot of the journalists agree with that point, even with 63% of the votes the PM will not have been strengthened by this result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Why what's going to happen to her this week that's any worse than any other?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

That could happen. You would hope that over the next month every Tory (and other) MP will get an earful from businesses in their constituencies pointing out the benefits of what the EU has offered and the impact of a disruption to trade (both ways) with the EU.

It might be enough to scare enough of them when project fear becomes more than a slogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The situation is so crazy that even total wack-jobs like Jacob Rees Mogg sometimes manage to spell out the contradictions in the Government's position.

I'd say this is only the beginning of the insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

She got 200 votes against no candidate!!! She won't get any vote through the HoC, certainly not any Deal she'll get from the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

tuxy wrote:
    Why what's going to happen to her this week that's any worse than any other?

Britain, the great empire, can't have a lame duck as it's leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They said that on June 9th 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

There won't be "further reassurances". So what then?

https://twitter.com/Laura_K_Hughes/status/1072823547150655488

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

People can spin this vote any way they like. She clearly made a decision long ago not to step down and will stick by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭Enzokk

markodaly wrote: »
    Maybe in your own neck of the woods and head, but the Tories hold 13 Westminister seats there, that is more than Labour and the Lib Dems combined.

So clearly not all of Scotland hated the Tories, as quite a lot of them vote for them.

FPTP can be deceptive when it comes down to seats. The Tories only received 41 000 more votes than Labour yet they have 6 more seats. The Libdems received 538 000 less votes than Labour in Scotland, yet they only have 3 seats less than them.

It will be interesting to see what voters make of the Tories in Scotland in the next election, seeing that all of their elected MPs voted with the government in all things Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mancduff

devnull wrote: »
    Mogg Interview here if anyone hasn't seen it:
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1072972511053275136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1072972511053275136&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.sky.com%2Fstory%2Flive-may-on-the-brink-of-a-leadership-challenge-11578479
    Everytime I watch it I shudder to think of what he will do to the UK and he's so far up himself it's unreal.

I honestly think he is trying to create as much chaos as possible for a no deal, with his European passports and vested interests in this, people like him are just out for themselves.

The ERG will go down in history as one of the worst things to happen to the Tory party.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51D9pNuWizL._SY375_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

He's a disaster capitalist.

https://youtu.be/LOb3FJhDbYs?t=80

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

If May does not get the legally binding "sunset clause" on the backstop from the EU tomorrow, she has two choices, i.e. to agree to a second referendum or walk. Those 117 Tories will vote against her current deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,572 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rees Mogg visiting the peasant land. Quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think like this.

It's a genuinely scary time for British politics. Frustration that May is untouchable could cause some of the more radicalised Brexiteers to think about doing the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭briany

Rees Mogg visiting the peasant land. Quite funny.

I wonder if talking to those chavs made him give much thought to the idea of reintroducing workhouses? I'd say that in this time when things have swung back to the right, he'd get a bit of support if he publicly voiced the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

If you think about it, 200 votes for her is almost 200 votes for her stewardship and thus, by extension, the Brexit negotiations, assuming she can get a new bow on the deal. The government now have a rough idea of what numbers she might possibly hope for and how many they might have to convince in the next weeks.

Winning a confidence vote is often a strange boost. I don't think labour will call a vote in parliament right now and they might let this trundle on till the next meaningful vote at the end of January.

May will have to keep pushing the unity line -
    for Britain and the UK! - and try to draw in so many from Labour and the others as she can.

Its alarming to see how so many UK commentators seem to be talking about the DUP at the moment, increasing their relevance. Many elements in the UK clearly want to pressure the EU to screw Ireland, despite the fact that the EU have been steadfast in their support of us. Is there any way for May or the EU to placate the DUP? I don't think so.

For some reason 'the backstop' is now the focus of why the deal is 'bad' for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,995 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's a genuinely scary time for British politics. Frustration that May is untouchable could cause some of the more radicalised Brexiteers to think about doing the worst.

It's a blessing she's untouchable when you look at the other possible contenders for prime minister.

Imagine the ****ing likes or Boris Johnson or worse Mog as PM. It's a scary thought for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

She could also carry out her threat to call off Brexit as well and direct the blame at others for it. That would be the one trump card she has left. I don't think she wants to go down as the PM who brought down Britain no matter how stubborn she might be and she knows noone else will be able to challenge her for a year. If all else fails she could call this whole thing off and end it rather than let a crash happen parliment might be divided but not a majority of then are dense enough to ruin the country over it. If the call to end Brexit is made it will pass considering the alternative.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    If you think about it, 200 votes for her is almost 200 votes for her stewardship and thus, by extension, the Brexit negotiations, assuming she can get a new bow on the deal. The government now have a rough idea of what numbers she might possibly hope for and how many they might have to convince in the next weeks.

Winning a confidence vote is often a strange boost. I don't think labour will call a vote in parliament right now and they might let this trundle on till the next meaningful vote at the end of January.

May will have to keep pushing the unity line -
    for Britain and the UK! - and try to draw in so many from Labour and the others as she can.

Its alarming to see how so many UK commentators seem to be talking about the DUP at the moment, increasing their relevance. Many elements in the UK clearly want to pressure the EU to screw Ireland, despite the fact that the EU have been steadfast in their support of us. Is there any way for May or the EU to placate the DUP? I don't think so.

For some reason 'the backstop' is now the focus of why the deal is 'bad' for the UK.

She still has to convince 117 Tories and 10 DUP MP's to vote with her to get the meaningful vote through. A legally binding "sunset clause" on the backstop will help, but I don't think it's nearly enough to swing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

She still has to convince 117 Tories and 10 DUP MP's to vote with her to get the meaningful vote through. A legally binding "sunset clause" on the backstop will help, but I don't think it's nearly enough to swing it.

The EU dont want to offer a 'sunset clause' on a 'backstop'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

awec wrote:
    The UK is heading for a crisis. No deal is a disaster, the government's plan is going down the toilet and the opposition have nothing to offer instead.

While Trump and Putin are laughing. They are the true winners. The UK paralysed for years and thrown into political crisis. This level of destabilisation is sufficient to distract from and/or prevent any action being taken with regards Russia actually being involved in Ukrainian insurgency for years and long term intervention in Syria.

The EU is affected only partially by this Russian collusion but it's certainly destabilising as well.

Now after Brexit, they will keep supporting and aiding Front National, Northern League and AfD as their next step.

I never said they did. But that's the minimum that a lot of those 117 Tories and the DUP will accept to vote with the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

They wont. If they dont accept the backstop before Brexit they will have to after and thats if we don't demand a border poll to try and solve the issue altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Infini wrote: »
    She could also carry out her threat to call off Brexit as well and direct the blame at others for it. That would be the one trump card she has left. I don't think she wants to go down as the PM who brought down Britain no matter how stubborn she might be and she knows noone else will be able to challenge her for a year. If all else fails she could call this whole thing off and end it rather than let a crash happen parliment might be divided but not a majority of then are dense enough to ruin the country over it. If the call to end Brexit is made it will pass considering the alternative.

How can she call off Brexit when it is already enshrined in UK law that they exit the EU on March 28th? Wouldn't it need a new law, passed thru parliament, that supersedes that one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The 200 that voted for her tonight are certainly not all going to be voting for her deal if that eventually makes it up to be voted on. They just don't want to have anyone else in the PM job for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement