Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

LB plus some Tories in HoC force a 2nd vote only end game. She has no Brexit that will get through HoC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I am not aware of a political mess as big as this where shots weren't eventually fired.

The multiple sides seem completely irreconcilable.

They are hopelessly divided. It can't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They are hopelessly divided. It can't end well.

Hopelessly divided was never more accurately used.
    I can hardly work out how many different factions there are.

Jacob's Rees Mogg will probably instruct the butler to kick the dog tonight.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Labour plan is literally just "get another deal". The thing that's been ruled out numerous times.

The UK is heading for a crisis. No deal is a disaster, the government's plan is going down the toilet and the opposition have nothing to offer instead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

awec wrote: »
    The Labour plan is literally just "get another deal". The thing that's been ruled out numerous times.

The UK is heading for a crisis. No deal is a disaster, the government's plan is going down the toilet and the opposition have nothing to offer instead.

Any proper opposition would have kicked the Tories out of the park by now but they are clueless and deluded from reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Mogg up on sky now.

"Bad night for the prime minister"

Hopelessly divided was never more accurately used.
    I can hardly work out how many different factions there are.

Jacob's Rees Mogg will probably instruct the butler to kick the dog tonight.

In Latin, no doubt. The Honourable Member for the 17th century as Niall Fitzgerald called him. Love that.

Jacob Rees Mogg claims they've won because around 160 of the votes don't count in his eyes and May should resign as she doesn't have a mandate as people were essentially forced to vote for her.

It's breathtaking really his arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

This is incorrect. They will win the election in February and then go and negotiate something much better than what May has before the March deadline as obviously the EU would be delighted to give Jez everything that he wants. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rjd2 wrote: »
    This is incorrect. They will win the election in February and then go and negotiate something much better than what May has before the March deadline as obviously the EU would be delighted to give Jez everything that he wants. :o

I cringe every time he opens his mouth, pathetic opposition.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »

Really pushing the "payroll vote" line isn't he.

I think he's quite annoyed by the impudence of Dermot Murnaghan questioning him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jesus Rees-Mogg is full of ****

Dermot calling Jacob's hypocrisy out on Sky.

It is stunning how they say everything is so bad and within the same sentence explains that they are not calling for a vote of no confidence in the government because they are not sure they would win it.

They are actually saying that. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,995 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jacob Rees Mogg claims they've won because around 160 of the votes don't count in his eyes and May should resign as she doesn't have a mandate as people were essentially forced to vote for her.

Is it surprising?

The man is a nasty piece of work and one of the architects for destroying Great Britain

Headshot wrote: »
    Is it surprising?

The man is a nasty piece of work and one of the architects for destroying Great Britain

Agreed. He's a dangerous boot boy in a nice suit and a posh accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭Enzokk

He has a point to a degree, if you look at the independent Tory MPs votes she didn't get half of those.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1072960160258277376

Now I will not pretend to know what is meant by independent, non ministers?

JRM has just had a dig at John Major as well.

Says he will support the agreement if the backstop is gone.

Nothing surprising really.

Enzokk wrote: »

They are not holding a position such as a ministry, secretary or envoy. Those who hold such positions receive additional wages and the argument being used is that they would not vote against her because they would be expected to resign from their position and therefore would lose the jobs and the wages.

He has a point to a degree, if you look at the independent Tory MPs votes she didn't get half of those.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1072960160258277376

You can't have a populist vote and then start saying peoples votes don't count because they didn't vote the way you wanted them to. They knew the rules before the contest took place.

If we're going down that road, then we can start excluding people who voted for Brexit as well, but Mogg would cry blue murder if we started doing that saying that everyone has a vote and to exclude them is undemocratic.

• Advertisement

JRM has just had a dig at John Major as well.

Says he will support the agreement if the backstop is gone.

Nothing surprising really.

Of course he will because 30 seconds in to the 30th of March he will be suggesting reneging on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

Agreed. He's a dangerous boot boy in a nice suit and a posh accent.

He's a man who likes the sound of his own voice but has very little of substance to add to the conversation just to get May out but has no real solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

To those saying that 200 votes is on the low side, it's one more than she got in her leadership election in 2016 and critically, can anyone name a candidate that would get 200 votes in a leadership election right now? I can't.

Tories are really falling apart. Would be great if they split over this finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

AdamD wrote: »
    Jesus Rees-Mogg is full of ****

That's all he ever does to be honest, the man is somewhere between a irredemable idiot and a parasite because I can only conclude his motivation is to cause a car crash Brexit to capitalise and feed on people's misery and foolishness. The No Confidence vote has basically told the Brexiteers to get rekt but it just shows the conservatives basically have a 117 Pseudo-Kippers in their party.

All I can say is that while Europe might have tried to be nice they need to come down firm and put pressure on them to decide what they want.

1) WA 2) Abandon Brexit for good 3) Crash out and burn in the fires of their own demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

seamus wrote: »

All of Scotland hates the Tories. They have continually treated Scotland as second class citizens and a burden. Sturgeon is merely representing her constituents.

Maybe in your own neck of the woods and head, but the Tories hold 13 Westminister seats there, that is more than Labour and the Lib Dems combined.

So clearly not all of Scotland hated the Tories, as quite a lot of them vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Infini wrote: »
    All I can say is that while Europe might have tried to be nice they need to come down firm and put pressure on them to decide what they want.

1) WA 2) Abandon Brexit for good 3) Crash out and burn in the fires of their own demise.

It does just seem to boil down to this. I have no idea how this will go. God only knows what it would be like trying to manage a company in times like this trying to second guess how import and export rules and regulations are going to be hit and when.

However, if (and I clearly state if) Foster, Raab and Davis can come up with a workable solution to the backstop (which they haven't done so yet) will the EU be willing to listen to it or will they let us crash out hard style?
    I don't think they will, but then again, if the above three had a workable solution to the backstop I suspect the three would have aired it by now.

This whole thing just keeps getting worse. Utterly depressing.

Mogg Interview here if anyone hasn't seen it:
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1072972511053275136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1072972511053275136&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.sky.com%2Fstory%2Flive-may-on-the-brink-of-a-leadership-challenge-11578479
    Everytime I watch it I shudder to think of what he will do to the UK and he's so far up himself it's unreal.

I honestly think he is trying to create as much chaos as possible for a no deal, with his European passports and vested interests in this, people like him are just out for themselves.

The ERG will go down in history as one of the worst things to happen to the Tory party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭Enzokk

You can't have a populist vote and then start saying peoples votes don't count because they didn't vote the way you wanted them to. They knew the rules before the contest took place.

If we're going down that road, then we can start excluding people who voted for Brexit as well, but Mogg would cry blue murder if we started doing that saying that everyone has a vote and to exclude them is undemocratic.

I should have clarified, the point he has is not that they won but that the PM is weak. Of those not dependent on her for their job in government less than half voted in favour of her.

It does seem that most journalists thought she would not have 100 votes against her and some were thinking even less, so if she did say she will not be in charge for the next election and those 117 that voted against her get angry enough with her deal and decide to burn their house down they could force a vote of no confidence in the HoC. If she loses that she has to resign as she said she will not be in charge of the next election.

Lets see how crazy they want to get, they sure seem to have no problem letting most of the UK burn and Ireland with it. Do you really think they wouldn't force a general election?

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ultimately what I think will happen is things will trundle on for another month or so, then the EU and the UK will come up with some superfluous change of wording that allows May and the EU to sell it as a new agreement, but really contains no substantial change, and will allow MPs who have been so outspoken about not voting for the agreement to vote for the new version and save some face, once it finally sinks in that there is no alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭blackcard

They are not holding a position such as a ministry, secretary or envoy. Those who hold such positions receive additional wages and the argument being used is that they would not vote against her because they would be expected to resign from their position and therefore would lose the jobs and the wages.
    On the other hand, you could say that those who voted against May were not getting additional wages and hoped they would under a new leader.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement