Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

RobMc59 wrote: »
    THANK YOU-finally someone answers my question without the hysterical banshee like wailing of an EU acolyte !:)

Fair play to him for deciphering there was a question hidden in the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

flatty wrote: »
    Amber Rudd seems to have been sent out to fly a kite.

What kite is this now?

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

flatty wrote: »
    Amber Rudd seems to have been sent out to fly a kite.

What kite is this now?

Link?

The Radio 4 story this morning about pivoting to Norway Plus if the WA is rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Norway Plus keeps FOM so very much BRINO in a lot of peoples minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Channel Four doing a debate at 7 p.m. tomorrow, will include a May deal advocate, a Corbyn supporter, a People's Vote backer and an ERG Brexiteer - no confirmed names yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

THANK YOU-finally someone answers my question without the hysterical banshee like wailing of an EU acolyte !:)
    The fact that it took so long for someone to stumble upon the apparent meaning of your posts suggests that the problem might lie closer to home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Channel Four doing a debate at 7 p.m. tomorrow, will include a May deal advocate, a Corbyn supporter, a People's Vote backer and an ERG Brexiteer - no confirmed names yet.

Please be jrm, please be jrm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You could have actually phrased your question more clearly. It was in fact answered very early when a poster pointed out that Guinness in Ireland was an Irish company. The holding company is irrelevant. And that's where the confusion came, as everyone who read that answer, assumed you meant something else. And the other point you seemed to not understand is that Guinness sales iin Ireland are not included in the EU sales figures. So it's EU + Ireland = Total EU.

From a business point of view (any business), the only issue is for goods actually produced in the UK. Anywhere else in the EU is not affected. Tariffs are only imposed on imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Anthracite wrote: »
    The fact that it took so long for someone to stumble upon the apparent meaning of your posts suggests that the problem might lie closer to home.

On the contrary,at least now SF MPs will be able to keep telling themselves the pint of Guinness they're drinking and paying for out of their eyepoppping expenses isn't anything to do with Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

I think that Amber Rudd's intervention is to hold out the threat of Norway+ to the Brexiteers, pointing out that if the current WA is voted down, then that's what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

On the contrary,at least now SF MPs will be able to keep telling themselves the pint of Guinness they're drinking and paying for out of their eyepoppping expenses isn't anything to do with Britain.

Do Sinn Fein get different expenses to all other politicians?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Looks like Caroline Lucas & Jacob Rees-Mogg

https://twitter.com/CarolineLucas/status/1071384976401330177

marno21 wrote: »
    Looks like Caroline Lucas & Jacob Rees-Mogg

Would have liked to see Alistair Campbell represent the People's vote side.

Do Sinn Fein get different expenses to all other politicians?

I've got no idea but it rather flys in the face of their noble stance of abstention when they're in the trough with the rest of them.

I've got no idea but it rather flys in the face of their noble stance of abstention when they're in the trough with the rest of them.

You completely misunderstand the practice and purpose of abstention as SF use it.

Also, from the Sinn Fein website.
    The British government refuses to pay Sinn Féin MPs our salaries and other grants which all other Westminster MPs receive. Over the last five years this has amounted to almost £2 million.

There are also a number of allowances, which we do not claim.

And Sinn Féin MP’s who become Ministers do not claim for constituency travel allowances.

Sinn Féin and those who vote for us expect the highest standards from all of our public representatives. We will continue to act in an open and transparent manner. And we will do all that we can to end the corrupt political culture which operates on both parts of this island.

The five Sinn Féin MPs are denied:

· MP’s salaries from Westminster. This means that our party has been denied over the last five years £1,443,840.

· £100,000 per annum in Policy development Grants which is given to our political opponents in the SDLP and DUP.

Sinn Féin MPs have not claimed:

· Overnight allowances of £25.00 per day.

· The Communications Allowance of £10,000 per MP per annum or £50,000 for our five MPs.

· Food expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So they're all terrible and yet you have an issue with SF and their apparent trough usage?

Sounds a bit whatabouter-esque.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Would have liked to see Alistair Campbell represent the People's vote side.

I think Lucas is a better choice. She isn't tainted by association with any major party and is very much in touch with the grassroots so st has more credibility there. She's also a very lucid and highly charismatic orator.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I think Lucas is a better choice. She isn't tainted by association with any major party and is very much in touch with the grassroots so st has more credibility there. She's also a very lucid and highly charismatic orator.

The best way to expose Jacob's bombastic jingoism is with facts. Jacob's vision of a hard Brexit is built on sand. Campbell is an excellent and factual debater.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The best way to expose Jacob's bombastic jingoism is with facts. Jacob's vision of a hard Brexit is built on sand. Campbell is an excellent and factual debater.
    He is also utterly discredited after his contribution to the Iraq disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

On the contrary to what?

This is just more nonsense. I doubt even the most rabid Shinner gives a toss where Diageo PLC is headquartered.

The quality of posting here is really plumbing the depths - what happened to well-reasoned posts and coherent arguments?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

*cough* Beamish and Murphy's *cough*

That's why I said Cork wouldn't have cared!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

An interesting contrast between Irish and UK attitudes towards immigration in the context of Brexit arose on another forum - basically Eastern Europeans were regarded as lowering wages and thereby acting as competition for people in the working class, which may well have some merit
    How could Eastern European labour reduce wages in an environment where you have at least as much or twice as much third world labour which is way cheaper than EE labour? If you agree with the assumption that supply of labour from other countries actually lowers wages in the UK then this argument makes no sense. In this hypothetical model your Pakistani workers would easily compete with your Polish ones, because they would be willing to work for less, hence the Polish workers can hardly exert any significant pressure on wages.

On the contrary to what?

This is just more nonsense. I doubt even the most rabid Shinner gives a toss where Diageo PLC is headquartered.

The quality of posting here is really plumbing the depths - what happened to well-reasoned posts and coherent arguments?
    Look-I haven't replied to a couple of posts and don't want to be accused of being a troll because I have different opinions.I made a throw away comment about "Shinner"who quite frankly I couldn't care less about-I feel the same about the DUP-if people choose to take exception to my opinion and choose to defend "shinner"that's their opinion which is fine by me-is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lucas is a good choice, performed well in the Leaders debate previously.
    JRM can't change his spots and will com a across as a twat. He can be telling them to see the results in 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

Indeed - Tony Connelly points out that Norway Plus would largely involve meeting the requirements of the WA. Nick Boles, erroneously, suggests that EEA status could simply transfer after Brexit, but in truth, it needs the consent of the 31 members and an interim bespoke status

Well, EEA or EFTA doesn't solve the NI issue, that requires the CU on top. So the WA would be required even if the UK is stays in the EEA. EEA would be kind of an addition to the WA.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't think Norway Plus is a goer. The Norwegians don't seem to be receptive to the idea.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1071078003780870146

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

You can be sure EFTA would become the UK and some other countries they don't really care about.

The EFTA deal is also based on grandfathering from an era before the EU and its members are small enough, non controversial enough and rich enough that it makes very little difference to the EU.

The UK would naturally change that dynamic as it's a very large state with a much more mixed economy and an aggressive financial sector that would seek to compete with the Eurozone and so on. It would be more like EFTA agreeing to enter the Anglosphere. Also I'm not really sure what countries like Norway or Iceland, models of nordic social democracy in action, have in common with the Tories' view of the world which is hardcore neoliberalism and all about low regulation and laissez faire economic policies.

The UK is just looking for a way of riding their market access.

Also what's in it for Norway? I can't see any benefits and the British were horrible to Iceland. The cod wars and more recently using anti terrorism legislation against Icelandic companies during the financial crisis.

I'm also pretty sure the EU does not want another EFTA or worse a mess like the Swiss bilateral agreements. They are very messy, more so the Swiss setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Don't think Norway Plus is a goer. The Norwegians don't seem to be receptive to the idea.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1071078003780870146

She makes some very good points. The UK would clearly be a disruptive influence and only out for itself. Interesting to hear that the EFTA / EEA members regard themselves as a small community of friendly like minded countries. Britain joining would be the equivalent of a loud mouthed drunk showing up at a wedding and ruining it for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Realistically, I think you're looking at a scenario where the only thing acceptable to the UK might be a trade deal like EU Japan or EU Korea.

That could take 10 years to negotiate too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement