Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Mc Love wrote: »
    And the fact that NI can apply for an Irish passport

Yes, doesn't make any sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Asmooh wrote: »
    I hope they make a wall between northern ireland and the republic.
    then revoke all rights for Irish people including right to speak irish.

Nothing wrong with being Irish but be Irish in the republic, mainly because most people are bitching about the british.. yet they wouldn't mind using UK benefits.

Irish people in NI pay taxes, why would they not have access to the welfare system there?

As for revoking all rights for Irish people in NI, that would be a breach of international law. Brexiteers are bad, but I don't think even they are bad enough to deny an entire community their rights. This would only serve to force a conflict to re-emerge in Northern Ireland and would probably be the end of NI remaing part of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

charlie14 wrote: »
    Found that statement from O`Neill a bit strange. Made me wonder if it had anything to do with him perhaps hearing some muttering in diplomatic circles similar to what Howlin was claiming.

I can see Coveney or Varadkar having a word with Howlin after that.

Probably best to say that stuff in private to them rather than be a 'useful idiot' for British counter briefings in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Can someone explain why this can't be dragged on in theory until next February. If the deal is 95% inplace why can't the UK hold off for the last 5% in February then a month to finalise things in European countries and the same in the UK parliament. There is never going to be a no deal decided once there is days on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,299 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Irish people in NI pay taxes, why would they not have access to the welfare system there?

As for revoking all rights for Irish people in NI, that would be a breach of international law. Brexiteers are bad, but I don't think even they are bad enough to deny an entire community their rights. This would only serve to force a conflict to re-emerge in Northern Ireland and would probably be the end of NI remaing part of the UK.

Tories had no truck with this in the past

• Advertisement

Imreoir2 wrote: »

As far as I remember you pay taxes in the country you are working, so if you work in the Republic you would pay Irish taxes, In NI you would pay UK taxes.

I don't think and hope UK will ever give up NI.
    Only way would be to make NI its own country but never going to be part of the Republic.

If you compare NI with IRE they are totally different.. we don't have housing crisis, we don't have high road taxes, we don't have houses that are way too high in price that they are actually worth.

Our Healthcare is a lot better etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

So if there's no WA and no time limit to the backstop, does that mean the UK leaves and a hard border has to be put in place?

I'd say we'll get away without it for the week or so until the food runs out in the UK shops and they come back to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Calina wrote: »
    . But the negotiations have not been done on an all UK basis.

Surely they have if they don't want NI to be treated as a separate CU/SM from the rest of the UK?

As far as I remember you pay taxes in the country you are working, so if you work in the Republic you would pay Irish taxes, In NI you would pay UK taxes.

Only way would be to make NI its own country but never going to be part of the Republic.

If you compare NI with IRE they are totally different.. we don't have housing crisis, we don't have high road taxes, we don't have houses that are way too high in price that they are actually worth.

If the north was it's own country it would be bankrupt 10 times over. It also has the worst infrastructure on the island and in the UK.

If you compare NI with IRE they are totally different.. we don't have housing crisis, we don't have high road taxes, we don't have houses that are way too high in price that they are actually worth. Our Healthcare is a lot better etc..

4/10. Must troll harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd say we'll get away without it for the week or so until the food runs out in the UK shops and they come back to the table.

and the UK has to accept the Euro to get back in?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

And the fact that NI can apply for an Irish passport
    Not just NI - apparently anyone in the UK can get an Irish passport (and then come over to Dublin and buy a pint using sterling)!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The UK has agreed to walk away from NI once the majority there want it. It claims to have no strategic interest in staying there.

Although we are now seeing the value of UK promises and agreements again...

The UK has agreed to walk away from NI once the majority there want it. It claims to have no strategic interest in staying there.

Although we are now seeing the value of UK promises and agreements again...

If NI becomes IRE I expect a new troubles and if not there will be enough people that don't want their monthly bills increasing by 1000%

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If NI becomes IRE I expect a new troubles and if not there will be enough people that don't want their monthly bills increasing by 1000%
    What monthly bills will increase by 1000%?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Balaclava dry cleaning, glass bottle washing and petrol expenses?

Flegs are terrible expensive down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Electricity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hurrache wrote: »
    Balaclava dry cleaning, glass bottle washing and petrol expenses?
    Flegs are terrible expensive down here.

Enough of the nonsense one-liners please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Compare housing prices for example IRE vs NI...
    Compare cars
    Compare Electronics
    Compare taxes
    Compare electricity
    And much more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Dymo wrote: »
    Can someone explain why this can't be dragged on in theory until next February. If the deal is 95% inplace why can't the UK hold off for the last 5% in February then a month to finalise things in European countries and the same in the UK parliament. There is never going to be a no deal decided once there is days on the clock.

Four to six weeks to ratify such a huge change in the eU would be way too short. Even the slightest hold up in ratification would mean the UK wouldn't legally be able to leave on March 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Compare cars
    Compare Electronics
    Compare taxes
    Compare electricity
    And much more

Compare earnings.

Compare earnings.

I did... I lived in the republic, worked in the republic etc..

Moved up north and guess what? more money left by the end of the month and i even have 2 cars.. while in the north I could hardly afford one car.

In the republic i rented a room... in the North I got a house for the same amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The increased in expenses, for the state, will obviously come with taking the 6 counties into our budget. Isn't NI subsidised?

Compare cars
    Compare Electronics
    Compare taxes
    Compare electricity
    And much more

1000% you said, even if things are more expensive in Ireland, that are not ten times as much as you claim, individually or cumulatively

You need to provide evidence for your daft claim.

Compare earnings.

Ooooh nailed! :D

Donald Tusk has just said Theresa Mays needs to come up with "new facts" to address border. Also says not optimistic on a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Hurrache wrote: »
    The increased in expenses, for the state, will obviously come with taking the 6 counties into our budget. Isn't NI subsidised?

Yes, heavily.

The UK attempted to buy peace, hence the gigantic public sector.

Just a tip.

If you want to embed tweets just take out mobile in the url.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Four to six weeks to ratify such a huge change in the eU would be way too short. Even the slightest hold up in ratification would mean the UK wouldn't legally be able to leave on March 31.

Not so - the UK is out on the 29th no matter what happens, unless they ask for, and get agreement from all 27, an Article 50 extension, which would be as hard as the WA.

The slightest delay would mean they go out hard with no transition deal, no trade agreements, nothing on flights, visas, customs...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement