Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Options

Comments

Loughc wrote: »
    Has anyone watched Holidate on Netflix yet? Any use?

Yeah it's pretty bad. I mean like bad movies but that's extra bad. I can't warm to Emma roberts. Is that her name?

Maybe I'm in a negative mood right now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    Has anyone watched Holidate on Netflix yet? Any use?
    I'll be watching it at some point nearer Christmas- however I'm not holding out any hopes that it'll be sweeping the board at next year's Oscars. :D

I fully expect Holidate to be terrible, and very cheesy. I can't wait to watch it :D

Sorry my post should I have said 'i mean I like bad movies', I do I love them but that was particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Autosport wrote: »
    Can’t wait to see this film :)

Was really looking forward to the first one and to be honest I thought it was very poor.
    For me Klaus was the best Christmas film to come out lately on Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

A friend and I hope to share a Netflix voucher in December for Christmas movie viewing.
    Look forward to reading which movies people enjoy most.
    Not sure how Netflix works, or how long movies stay available to view - with me being low tech, it will be a learning experience for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jude13

Can't warm to the nightmare before Christmas but its just unsettling for some reason. Same as bettlejuice for me. There is a good podcast about it in the latest cant wait for Christmas episode.

Goldie Hawn still has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

I love 'A Christmas Carol (1984)' with George C. Scott as Scrooge.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Worztron wrote: »
    I love 'A Christmas Carol (1984)' with George C. Scott as Scrooge.

https://youtu.be/92befrZYBLE

Watched a bit this morning while the only one awake

Mr. Bean Christmas
    https://youtu.be/SyWSTvwZPGY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I think I'll chance Holidate tonight.I love a cheesy christmas romance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

otnomart wrote: »
    Perfect Strangers, Scotland’s first independent feature-length Christmas movie, is being filmed - "aiming to have the film released for December.”

source: https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1963763/filming-underway-in-lochaber-for-scotlands-first-independent-feature-length-christmas-movie/

Scottish film Perfect Strangers has been re-titled and about to be released as Lost at Christmas
    Trailer is out

So Holidate isn't actually a Christmas films. It covers all the holidays through the year. I really enjoyed it though. Fluffy and no substance but it gave me some laughs so I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

I really enjoyed Holidate as well, one of the best of those romancey type movies in a while I think :pac: I watched My Christmas Inn last night...not quite as good :D Netflix have dropped a lot of those movies in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Holidate is predictable but fun to watch on a Saturday evening of lockdown with a little drink.

I'm just finishing up Operation Christmas Drop on netflix. While I usually prefer a wintery Christmas this has me sold on a trip to Guam! I didn't realise the drop was a real thing.

Absolutely nothing unexpected and possibly the worst cgi gecko I've seen but it was a enjoyable. I like Kat Graham. Seems she's becoming a Christmas film staple since the vampire diaries ended. This is her 3rd netflix one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Watched Holiday Date today and it’s as such a Sweet and Soppy film and I loved it :D I’m a sucker for them :)

Christmas 24 as a lot to answer for :D

Watched Write for Christmas last night and Chad Michael Murray (One Tree Hill) fame was in it. Very predictable but lovely all the same. Love the over the top decorations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Watching Christmas Land now..... predictable obviously but the main leads are not totally phoning it in so better than some

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

Just watched Operation Christmas Drop.
    Review had described it as "Generic, boring and tactless! The holy trinity!"

Of course, I liked it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Watched The Christmas Temp on Movies 24 today. Worst. Movie. Ever. If it pops up again, which I'm sure it will, avoid. Or watch it to see the 'art installation' the main character works on for the whole film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,932 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If anyone sees Christmas themed movies in the listings for a Virgin available channel \ Saorview channel, please bump on this thread. Cheers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,087 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yeah it's pretty bad. I mean like bad movies but that's extra bad. I can't warm to Emma roberts. Is that her name?

Maybe I'm in a negative mood right now!

Luke Bracey is hot, another ex Home and Away actor, could pass as a Hemsworth too :p

Tonight's viewing was a hallmark flick "Christmas Made to Order". A busy architect hires a Christmas decorator to do up his house as his family will be unexpectedly joining. I think you can guess what happens ðŸ˜

For a film all about Christmas decorating I expected more wow factor. Some of her displays were similar to my office in work last year and we did that with euro shop/stalls bits.

Jonathan Bennett was the male lead and he played Aaron Samuel's in Mean girls. I just wanted someone to say "your hair looks sexy pushed back" at some point. Seems he's become another Christmas TV film fixture after looking at his imdb page.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

For a film all about Christmas decorating I expected more wow factor. Some of her displays were similar to my office in work last year and we did that with euro shop/stalls bits.

This is how I felt about The Christmas Temp. She was hired to create a Christmas art installation (with only 4 days notice - they never seem to plan ahead in these movies) and completely wowed the art critic at the end but I could have done better and I'm not particularly artistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,932 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Spotted two Christmas movies in the VM listings for next weekend, though they aren't the typical cheesy Hallmark types from their synopsis.

Christmas Rush
    On Christmas Eve, suspended cop Cornelius Morgan goes to the mall to pick up his wife as she gets off of work. Upon his arrival he finds a heist in progress resulting in the criminals taking hostages, one of whom is Morgan's wife. Starring: Dean Cain, Erika Eleniak.
    Starting: 01:30 on Saturday 14th November.
    Duration: 1 hour and 50 minutes
    Showing on Virgin Media One.

November Christmas
    A father whose daughter is seriously ill fears she will not live through the year. He is determined to make sure her remaining time is happy, and with the help of his neighbours, he arranges to celebrate Halloween and Christmas months ahead of schedule so she can enjoy both holidays. Drama, starring John Corbett and Sam Elliott.
    Starting: 16:00 on Sunday 15th November.
    Duration: 2 hours
    Showing on Virgin Media Three.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Christmas Rush
    On Christmas Eve, suspended cop Cornelius Morgan goes to the mall to pick up his wife as she gets off of work. Upon his arrival he finds a heist in progress resulting in the criminals taking hostages, one of whom is Morgan's wife. Starring: Dean Cain, Erika Eleniak.
    Starting: 01:30 on Saturday 14th November.
    Duration: 1 hour and 50 minutes
    Showing on Virgin Media One.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

odyssey06 wrote: »

November Christmas
    A father whose daughter is seriously ill fears she will not live through the year. He is determined to make sure her remaining time is happy, and with the help of his neighbours, he arranges to celebrate Halloween and Christmas months ahead of schedule so she can enjoy both holidays. Drama, starring John Corbett and Sam Elliott.
    Starting: 16:00 on Sunday 15th November.
    Duration: 2 hours
    Showing on Virgin Media Three.

That sounds like my worst nightmare of a Christmas movie! Do not want to be sobbing...I'll take the Hallmark Romances any day:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

That sounds like my worst nightmare of a Christmas movie! Do not want to be sobbing...I'll take the Hallmark Romances any day :pac:

...and this is why I like Holiday romance novels too :D

(but don't tell anyone ;) cos literature is expected to be the brainy type) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went on a bit of a Christmas movie Netflix binge at the weekend and watched Operation Christmas Drop, Christmas Wonderland, Christmas Wedding Planner and Midnight at the Magnolia (the last two were particularly average :D). All your average tv Christmas movie but passed the time :D Oh and I recently watched The Christmas Chronicles and thought it was brilliant!

• Advertisement

Christmas Pen Pals is on my tv now, loving it :D

Advertisement