Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Comments

Jude13 wrote: »
    My OH has vetoed that one this year, she cannot stand nick cage.

Inexplicably I am not a fan of Cage, I do however absolutely love the Family Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Would anyone know the number for the Christmas movie channel on virgin media please? Had a great Christmas channel last year but can't remember the number. I've looked but can't seem to find it. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,733 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would anyone know the number for the Christmas movie channel on virgin media please? Had a great Christmas channel last year but can't remember the number. I've looked but can't seem to find it. TIA.

It's no longer carried by VM, many of us disappointed about this :(

There are some chrismassy movies airing weekend afternoons on RTE1, very early saturday morning on E4, and then closer to christmas Channel 4 weekday afternoons.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I have Virgin media as well and they are terrible if you like Christmas stuff. I've noticed that some evenings about 9pm the comedy channel, channel 127 are playing the odd Christmas movie.
    The Santa Clause and Scrooged have been on it lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Watched the Christmas Chronicles 2 at the weekend. I know there's moved feelings it there, but I still feel they've gotten something right with the sense of adventure involved.
    6 year old thought it was better than the first.

Wife and kids watched Jingle Jangle during the week too and really liked it. Although my wife agreed when I said ppl seemed to think it wasn't very Christmassy. I'm sure I'll get around to serving it before the big day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Scrooged is on Comedy Central at 5.25pm tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Santa Claus 2 on the cards for later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Got Christmas on the Square and Fred Claus watched last weekend, and watched Christmas with the Kranks for the first time tonight. It was great! Why have I never watched it before!!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We watched Christmas with the Kranks over the weekend, but other than that havent been watchuing anything christmas related, plan to set that straight this weekend after I finish work on Friday.

We binge watched the queens gambit on netflix & have moved onto season 1 of the crown the last couple of nights. So suspect we'll be watching a bit of that over the next couple of weeks.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Finally got round to watching Noelle on Disney+. A bit cheesy however enjoyed it and easy watching.

• Advertisement

Head's up- Christmas with the Kranks being removed from Netflix on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy2020

I've just finished watching A Christmas Feast on Sky Movies. Its also known as The Feast of the Seven Fishes.
    Its honestly the best Christmas movie I've seen in a long time. Its based on an Italian American family and their Christmas Eve dinner and brings all the characters together. Its gotten a great rating from Rotten Tomatoes too. Its set in 1983 and to me I found a lot of their traditions quite Irish.
    Watch it you won't be disappointed.

Catching up on Coming Home for Christmas which aired last Sunday on RTE1, thought it was a notch above the usual christmas fare, the cast had great chemistry (Danica McKellar as lead) and there were nods to Jane Austen in the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭obi604

I have been watching a few Christmas movies with the kids.

A theme running through nearly all of them is: does Santa exist, is Santa real etc
    Very annoying when watching with kids. They are asking questions purely cause of the films etc. I find myself talking over certain parts of the film to distract them.

Anybody else find this with kids Christmas films?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

obi604 wrote: »
    I have been watching a few Christmas movies with the kids.

A theme running through nearly all of them is: is Santa real, does he exist etc
    Very annoying when watching with kids. The are asking questions purely cause of the films etc. I find myself talking over certain parts of the film to distract them.

Anybody else find this with kids Christmas films?
    Yep, I actually think there should be a “secret disclaimer” in the opening credits or some sort of rating for this exact reason. Miracle on 34th street is good but it raises too many questions in little minds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

Anyone know why Get Santa was removed from Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Any time I’ve turned on Sky Christmas Elf has been on there so said I’d give it a watch in full. Plenty of Christmas movies this week:
    - Elf
    - Home Alone 4
    - Last Christmas
    - All I Want for Christmas
    - Arthur Christmas
    and I watched Angela’s Christmas Wish on Netflix. Had been flicking over this the past week or so, assumed it was the same one as last year but it’s a new one. Nice, lighthearted and oh so Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Just finished my annual viewing of Black Christmas '74, which has become my favourite Christmas film. Ceepy and chilling, yet festive and cozy at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

Black Christmas is always one of my top Christmas movies and can be watched just after Halloween. It is also an iconic horror as it was the first of its kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

Watched the Christmas Chronicles part 2, it was far better than expected and a great improvement from the first one. It also gives little ones savvy answers to certain questions, like why can't we see the north pole on google maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Worztron

Although not my top Xmas film, the one that I've fondest memories of as a kid is 'Santa Claus: The Movie (1985)'.

My top 10 would be:
    • 01 It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
    • 02 National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
    • 03 A Christmas Carol (1984)
    • 04 Home Alone (1990)
    • 05 A Christmas Carol (1999)
    • 06 Scrooged (1988)
    • 07 Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
    • 08 Santa Claus: The Movie (1985)
    • 09 The Santa Clause (1994)
    • 10 The Snowman (1982)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Klaus on netflix is fantastic, quickly shot up the ranks to one of my all time favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jude13 wrote: »
    Watched the Christmas Chronicles part 2, it was far better than expected and a great improvement from the first one. It also gives little ones savvy answers to certain questions, like why can't we see the north pole on google maps.

We watched it last night too and it was good, but there are no mountains at the north pole!!

I watched Christmas Chronicles 2 yesterday, also, and thought it was much better then the first one. Pleasantly surprised. :)

Muppets Christmas Carol ticked off the list as well. Little lad was a bit scared of the ghost of Christmas future and ‘watched’ that bit from behind the blanket :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lots of Christmas movies today.

On channel 4 there is

White Christmas at 2.30pm
    The man who invented Christmas at 4.55pm

Sky one have

The grinch the musical at 3.30pm
    Elf at 7pm

Comedy Central have

Christmas with the kranks at 2.30pm
    Scrooged at 4.30pm

RTE1 at 4pm have Silent Night, animation about a Snowman who comes to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭tscul32

Introduced my boys to Christmas Vacation and Scrooged this weekend. Great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Watching Christmas vacation now.... wouldnt be Christmas week without it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Worztron

DvB wrote: »
    Watching Christmas vacation now.... wouldnt be Christmas week without it.

+1

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement