Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you eat breakfast?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I love my breakfast although I'm getting treated for high cholesterol at the moment so I've cut out my usual poached eggs (x4).

That's a lot of eggs. I used to have 3 poached but have cut down on them immensely. My reading was 6.9 which is very high. I don't eat much cheese now and gave up my creamy butter for that tasteless pro activ.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Can't stomach breakfast pre work, just too early. I have a bowl of cereal (rice crispies) or toast and Marmite if I'm off.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Irish_rat wrote: »
    That's a lot of eggs. I used to have 3 poached but have cut down on them immensely. My reading was 6.9 which is very high. I don't eat much cheese now and gave up my creamy butter for that tasteless pro activ.

Try 11.7 lol

When I went to my pharmacy I said 'Well here's to my 50s, I'm on another pill'.. She asked me what my cholesterol was at, she was shocked and said usually someone coming to her for Lipitor and a cholesterol reading like that had just survived a heart attack or stroke!.

I used to eat up to 30 eggs a week and lots of steak, loved butter too.. 'Tis all gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Post training Mon, Wed, Fri
    2 Turkey Burgers
    300gms egg whites scrambled with cheese and scallions

Tue Thur
    Porridge, cinnamon, nutmeg, raspberries, blue berries, strawberries, honey

Sat Sun
    Turkey burger, 3 chicken sausages, beans

what day is it - oh yeah the kitchen lady in work is late and hasn't take the porridge out yet, they lock all the cereals away every evening for some reason.... some mornings it's like a scene from Oliver Twist with lads roaming round the kitchen with empty bowls in their hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If your useless like me in the morning force feed yourself overnight oats and some black coffee.

I've tried so hard and failed to be a morning person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Didn't eat breakfast for years myself. Would usually leave the house on an empty stomach, grab a coffee in work and then breakfast around 10 o'clock from a shop/canteen.

In the interests of better nutrition, money and training I started eating breakfast and there was a good six months where I felt like I was forcing myself to eat some mornings. You get used to it though, I'm now ravenous if I haven't eaten before 9. Usually have cereal at home or grab a scone on the way to work if I'm in a rush.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't any more.
    I used to be the kind of person who would not leave the house without at least two slices of toast or a bowl of porridge, but then a few years ago I read about interval fasting and thought I'd give it a try, just to see.

I started by having breakfast later and later in the day, until it essentially became lunch. These days, I only eat between 12 and 7pm, nothing before or after. I'd always be hesitant recommending anything like a diet change to anyone over the internet, to me personally it is a positive experience I haven no plans on reverting. It made me more awake in the mornings, I seem to have a better distribution of energy throughout the day (particularly if I manage to get in some exercise in the mornings, too, but that's usually only on the weekends), and it had a stabilising effect on my mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I haven't eaten breakfast regularly since I was a kid (I'm 44 now) Occasionally i'll have one at the weekend, as in maybe once every couple of months but only after I've been up for 3 or 4 hours.

I can't for the life of me understand how people can just get out of bed and eat!

The exception of course is when I'm in a hotel - then I feel cheated if I don't get 2 days worth of food into me by 8am!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Coffee.

I get through around 10 cups before my first meal around 1/2pm.

Then another 5 or so cups before evening meal for 7/8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I have a bowl of cereal or porridge in the morning before I leave; I find I'm just on the back foot all day if I skip breakfast.

Would often have some sort of brunch on weekends (scramble some eggs/make a rasher sandwich etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Breakfast like a king, dinner like a prince and supper like a pauper.

I love my breakfast although I'm getting treated for high cholesterol at the moment so I've cut out my usual poached eggs (x4).

This morning I had two coffee's, two slices of wholegrain toast with a smoothering of Marmite.

Probably twice a week I'll have porridge with that.

Then when I've hit a particular goal in training I'll award myself with a Sunday morning grill.

I'd be kicking the tyres of the idea that eggs or similar raise your cholesterol. its one of those areas where medicine hasn't exactly been on the ball.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Coffee.

I get through around 10 cups before my first meal around 1/2pm.

Then another 5 or so cups before evening meal for 7/8pm.

I like your style. I only eat breakfast at the weekend when I can enjoy it, otherwise my break-fast is 1pm sometimes even the evening.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

silverharp wrote: »
    I like your style. I only eat breakfast at the weekend when I can enjoy it, otherwise my break-fast is 1pm sometimes even the evening.

Oh it's the same for me.
    On the weekends i eat breakfast. Rolls with hams/cheeses/pates. Get my stuff out of the polish shop. Proper smoked hams etc. Cheese that's actual cheese. That sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I rarely have breakfast, just not hungry. I usually have dinner around 10pm and that keeps me going until lunch, which I have at 12.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Monday to Friday I'd not eat before 11. I'd normally have some fruit or biscuits then with a cup of tea.
    Weekends I'd have something nice (rashers and eggs, pancakes, last nights pizza etc) whenever I get up. So normally around 10AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

In the summer, Corn Flakes and milk or a protein shake type meal replacement thing.

In the winter, porridge.

Always eat at my desk too, nice to take 5 mins to get into the day (choose which emails to ignore and which ones need a diplomatic response).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Boil your eggs in advance.
    Mix it up, or you'll get bored.

I don't eat first thing, but I get to work about 8.40am and about 9 I have a cup of tea and breakfast at the desk if I have an early site meeting.

This morning was :

Tea
    Tortilla Wrap
    some slices of cooked chicken (Deli pack)
    3 boiled eggs sliced
    sprinkle of grated cheese.

Should see me to lunch.
    razorblunt wrote: »
    (choose which emails to ignore and which ones need a diplomatic response).

I find those decisions are made better after I have eating :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I haven't eaten breakfast regularly since I was a child and lived with my folks, which would be a good sixteen years ago now.

I've recently started training my little ass off in the gym and in the interests of better nutrition and not stuffing my face with twenty seven bags of doritos every evening, have realised I'm going to have to join the breakfast brigade.

I do love a late brunch, but my mornings have consisted of black coffee and resentment of the world for a long time now, so I'm looking for breakfast ideas.

What do you eat for breakfast?

I tried to nosh her off for brekkie this morning. Durrrty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Ignored the 6am alarm and stayed in my bed instead of getting up and having some eggs :confused:

This is gonna be hard! I am just quite simply not remotely hungry in the morning and the worst morning person in the world, which is a bad combination for these eating breakfast aspirations!

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Oh it's the same for me.
    On the weekends i eat breakfast. Rolls with hams/cheeses/pates. Get my stuff out of the polish shop. Proper smoked hams etc. Cheese that's actual cheese. That sort of thing.

I either have a cooked breakfast without the carby parts or a lush 3 egg omelette with chorizo ‘n stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've started intermittent fasting and really enjoying it. I stop eating at 8pm and don't start again until 12 next day.

I used to be big into breakfast but I found over time my breakfast became bigger and more unhealthy followed by more food at lunch and more for dinner. IF has changed my perspective on food and in particular the entire 'you need a breakfast' mantra.

I've started intermittent fasting and really enjoying it. I stop eating at 8pm and don't start again until 12 next day.

I used to be big into breakfast but I found over time my breakfast became bigger and more unhealthy followed by more food at lunch and more for dinner. IF has changed my perspective on food and in particular the entire 'you need a breakfast' mantra.

I find it great, it takes a little getting used to but now I’d happily go to dinner without eating all day but 16/8 or 18/6 is great. It makes you think differently about food and that mostly you were never hungry in the first place. Supposed to be good health benefits which is a plus. Grazing is up there with causes adding to obesity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yup Weetabix with strawberries and slice of toast with orange juice than a cup of tea.

Tea is essential for me to function.

Could never understand people who don't have breakfast, by the same token a fry up for breakfast every morning is bleurgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I just had a look in the fridge, saddo that I am and the pot says Brooklea Authentic Greek yogurt, and it is full fat too. Very sour on the tongue on its own, but great with a bit of honey!

Definitely needs some sugar, honey or golden syrup added!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Porridge made with milk, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, blueberries and whatever other fruit I have that needs to be used up. Today it was plum, melon and stewed apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m glad to read from this thread that the ‘you must eat breakfast every day’ diktat seems to be loosening its grip on the public consciousness a bit. You should eat breakfast if you enjoy it and/or need it to set you up for the day. But if you don’t feel like eating in the morning and don’t need it to function well, you shouldn’t force yourself to eat it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Does a can of Diet Coke and a Belvita on the train count so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

A bowl of Weetabix/Corn Flakes or 2 microwaved scrambled eggs.

It's miserable leaving the house with an empty stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Out of bed at 6.45am, by 7am I would have had my porridge (or Wheetabix) with milk, blueberries/strawberries and a cup of tea. Would never leave the house without having a cup of tea or banana at most, if not feeling too hungry.

Weekends would probably be the same or sometimes would have some sausages/bacon/eggs and toast (that's normally reserved for when I have been out drinking the night before).

Whenever staying in a hotel I eat breakfast like its going out of fashion, cereal for starters, full Irish for the main and pastries for dessert :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Shenshen wrote: »
    I don't any more.
    I used to be the kind of person who would not leave the house without at least two slices of toast or a bowl of porridge, but then a few years ago I read about interval fasting and thought I'd give it a try, just to see.

I started by having breakfast later and later in the day, until it essentially became lunch. These days, I only eat between 12 and 7pm, nothing before or after. I'd always be hesitant recommending anything like a diet change to anyone over the internet, to me personally it is a positive experience I haven no plans on reverting. It made me more awake in the mornings, I seem to have a better distribution of energy throughout the day (particularly if I manage to get in some exercise in the mornings, too, but that's usually only on the weekends), and it had a stabilising effect on my mood.

As mentioned earlier, I'm about 3 or 4 weeks into this now and the effects are pretty unbelievable. Generally eating between 2 and 8, I'm more focused in work, feeling healthier and craving more healthy food. I was amazed at how quick my body adapted to the new routine, and I'm drinking more water, something I actually detested before starting.

Advertisement