Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good episode, ending was a WTF moment.

I'm curious about
    Stormfront, and who's backing her. She said Stanley Edgar put her in the team, but as a man of colour himself, surely he would not be backing someone who is essentially a White supremacist, Nazi or whatever other term you want to use. Is he aware of her motivations and if so, why did he back her? Or is he totally unaware of her true nature.

I've wondered myself, but then the answer can also be pretty simple: power & greed. Easier to ignore the moral contradictions when you're inside the tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Before I knew who he was or where from [don't recall ever seeing him in anything before] , I thought he was South African or a Kiwi the moment he appeared in the show - In fact it was only when I first visited this very thread I discovered he was meant to be English/Cockney - his accent is terrible

How could you not recognise Skurge??

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭setanta1000

Good episode, ending was a WTF moment.

Absolutely - I'm also intrigued by the song choice for the closing credits - I think that was the song Starlight sang at Translucent's
    memorial
    (don't really know if I should spoiler that or not). I thought it was an interesting choice given they could have picked anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

spookwoman wrote: »
    Meant a clone of Edgars, comic book
    says BN is clone of homelander but you could see BN skin is black.
    His skin didn't so much look black, but badly scarred or deformed imo. Maybe he doesn't fully heal from the damage he takes.

Also, you should probably spoiler the comic part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tazzimus wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

This show is phenomenal. Hook it to my veins!! There has not been an episode I have not enjoyed, though like all shows there are better episodes throughout a season.

For magnetism and screen presene, Antony Starr's performance, for me, is comparable to James Gandolfini in The Sopranos whereby when he's in a scene he steals it and you're fixated on him.

I've no problem with accents, Urban's theatrical Cockney accent doesn't grate me, it's better than having a genuine "Danny Dyer" geezer actor filling the role. I think if it was a proper Eastenders accent, then I'd be more put off the character.

I do think season two has been a slower burn than the first one, but I feel the writers are using it to set up a more gung-ho approach in season three. There's a lot of story to be told, setting up plots, back stories, character arcs, etc., in eight episodes. The first season seemed relentless in action, humour and wtf moments. This season has had the same moments, but padded out more with subplots and the introduction of new characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Read a theory there that ...
    Cindy is a red herring - she was last seen hitchhiking away from the Vought facility and doesn't appear to be someone who would want to help them.

The theory is that it's actually Edgar who is exploding the heads, and that he has taken V previously. This would explain his complete lack of fear when Homelander confronted him.

Would be the next obvious chapter in skewering established Superhero tropes allright: The Seven has kinda dominated the subversion in a very DC oriented sense, but whatever bout "what if Superman, but psychotic", there's also the kinda obvious open goal of "what if
    Professor X, only psychotic?"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

pixelburp wrote: »
    Would be the next obvious chapter in skewering established Superhero tropes allright: The Seven has kinda dominated the subversion in a very DC oriented sense, but whatever bout "what if Superman, but psychotic", there's also the kinda obvious open goal of "what if

Not sure why I am spoilering this as I don't really think it is a spoiler as such but here we go.
    Isn't that what the spin off is meant to be covering. The college is meant to be kinda like the x-men academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Tazzimus wrote: »

Honestly had to look that up lol, just never been a super hero movie fan, not since I was a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Honestly had to look that up lol, just never been a super hero movie fan, not since I was a kid.

He's also Dredd and Bones McCoy in the latest Star Trek movies. Was also in Lord of The Rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Check out 'Brightburn'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Blazer wrote: »
    Wasn't surprised by BN being beaten by Maeve. You forgot Maeve is practically invulnerable and super strong. Hell in the intro episode she just stood in front of an armoured truck as it just folded around her.
    BN has taken damage from grenades and explosions etc but he's nowhere near Maeve's level of strength.

Each character represents a superhero, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Aquaman, the Flash. They are all frightened of homelander but Maeve is very powerful. Black Noir is dangerous but not in the in the same league as Maeve. That’s why the Deep was kind of a joke to the rest of them, he’s the weakest, Starlight could beat him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think the comics did the Marvel stuff better. The show seems to be very heavily focused on the Seven.

Is the spinoff supposed to tie into the main series or is it just Amazon squeezing the cash cow?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The "Brave Maeve" branding is so on the nose but it's pretty ballsy all the same; I do wonder if Amazon themselves are guilty of it TBH, and it'll fly over the head of most who embrace performative corporate conscience, but it's a neat skewering of it all the same. The idea that bisexuality isn't "real" is also quite topical AFAIK.

Maeve is clearly burdened by morality and self-loathing, so while it might take a while I'd wonder if she'll be the one to ultimately take out Homelander. She's strong enough, and honestly can't see any of The Boys doing it.

I also feel kinda sorry for Ashley: she climbed the corporate ladder and now effectively finds herself scared witless trying to steer a nuclear bomb that could kill her before she knew she was dead. She doesn't really have an out here.
    I think the comics did the Marvel stuff better. The show seems to be very heavily focused on the Seven.

Is the spinoff supposed to tie into the main series or is it just Amazon squeezing the cash cow?

No real details but I'd suspect it's pure cash-cow territory ATM; it certainly seems to be one of Amazon's bigger, talkier hits.

A strange issue but has anyone experienced German subtitles (or a similar language) popping up occasionally? I'm I'm subscribed to the UK version of Amazon prime and don't have subtitles enabled.

It would be interesting to know how many seasons people are signed on for. I think they might be putting things on the long finger to get a longer run from the series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No real details but I'd suspect it's pure cash-cow territory ATM; it certainly seems to be one of Amazon's bigger, talkier hits.

It is but I feel like it's beginning to run out of Steam. This season has been a little sluggish and boring IMO. It started really well but there haven't really been any proper Supe fight scenes. I also feel like the Boys should have been Vee'd up (?) at this point.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

A strange issue but has anyone experienced German subtitles (or a similar language) popping up occasionally? I'm I'm subscribed to the UK version of Amazon prime and don't have subtitles enabled.

I am in Spain, and I get the odd french subtitles popping up randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Each character represents a superhero, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Aquaman, the Flash. They are all frightened of homelander but Maeve is very powerful. Black Noir is dangerous but not in the in the same league as Maeve. That’s why the Deep was kind of a joke to the rest of them, he’s the weakest, Starlight could beat him.

And also a play on the long standing notion that Aquaman was the one character no-one took seriously, because he only 'talks to fish'. It took the recent movie to dispel that myth and show the kind of power he has. Only in the Boys, they stick with the angle that he is pretty useless lol.
    It is but I feel like it's beginning to run out of Steam. This season has been a little sluggish and boring IMO. It started really well but there haven't really been any proper Supe fight scenes. I also feel like the Boys should have been Vee'd up (?) at this point.

That's kinda my only complaint, I really want to see Homelander cut loose in a proper fight with someone powerful. So far it's been mostly laser eyes and some cool superhero takeoffs/landings.

• Advertisement

That's kinda my only complaint, I really want to see Homelander cut loose in a proper fight with someone powerful. So far it's been mostly laser eyes and some cool superhero takeoffs/landings.

I wouldn't say that this is it. The comics have the characters interact with different teams who are supposed to be pastiches of characters in the mainstream such as Tek Knight/Iron man, G-Men/X-Men and Payback/Avengers.

Instead, we get references and nods in place of entire arcs while staying focused on the Seven who don't really get up to a great deal. The last time we saw any significant display of powers was the chase early in the season. I'm impressed that the made so many changes to the source material as it was released just before the advent of Facebook but the trade off seems to be that there's not much of a larger arc if any.

In the comics, Butcher's hatred of supes is quickly established and explained along with the fact that he has countermeasures in place to prevent the Homelander from just ending him and the team. As the story progresses, we see different locations, characters like Love Sausage and Stillwell along with events like Herogasm (exactly what it sounds like) and Believe. All the while, the conflict between Butcher, the Boys and the Seven slowly progresses until the finale.

The creators of the series have removed much of this. In doing so, the primary dynamic has become much less interesting due to the amount of time which must be devoted to it. If Game of Thones had similarly been denuded then we'd see Seven Kingdoms fall one by one to the Whitewalkers until the glorious finale all of which could be done in 1-2 seasons. There's the overriding arc and the plots within that arc for individual characters and groups of characters.

I eagerly await Friday's episode but I don't think this series is going to be remembered as a classic save for Starr's performance as the Homelander and Urban's atrocious and inconsistent accent.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Potatoeman wrote: »
    he’s the weakest, Starlight could beat him.

At this point I think that Starlight's weakness is being played up a bit, as is her need for electrical stimuli to channel into light. It's almost certainly all leading up to her (speculation but I'm going to spoiler it because it's almost certainly going to happen)
    fighting Stormfront, who is utterly dismissive of 'cute' Starlight. And Starlight basically taking everything Stromfront throws at her as a super-charge and destroying her.

iguana wrote: »
    At this point I think that Starlight's weakness is being played up a bit, as is her need for electrical stimuli to channel into light. It's almost certainly all leading up to her (speculation but I'm going to spoiler it because it's almost certainly going to happen)
    fighting Stormfront, who is utterly dismissive of 'cute' Starlight. And Starlight basically taking everything Stromfront throws at her as a super-charge and destroying her.

To be honest, I'd find that extremely anti-climactic. So much so that I might just cancel my subscription as I've only really kept it for this series.

H. H. Asquith

iguana wrote: »

What you spoiler, I agree with, i was thinking along the same lines.

Anyway, 1 episode yet, can´t wait.

Agree that this season has been boring compared to the first. Hughie and Butcher annoy the hell out of me now. Frenchie and MM are the real heart of the show. Also couldn't care less about The Deep and A-Train's storyline, seems like sub-par filler to me.

I like the Butcher character, I don´t get the hate. Karl Urban does a great job...
    But Hughie.... jaysus, what a black hole of fun.... I roll my eyes when he is on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I got this with the Expanse. Dialogue was fine but when any onscreen text appeared like computer readouts etc German subtitles would pop up. Seems to be a known bug online but no definitive solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I got this with the Expanse. Dialogue was fine but when any onscreen text appeared like computer readouts etc German subtitles would pop up. Seems to be a known bug online but no definitive solution.

Ah it's a massive issue with Prime video, I barely use it for anything other than a few notable series. I have a German prime account and it's constantly overriding my English settings (and overtitling subtitles). Also what is free and what you need to pay for depends on the language used. Last Christmas the OH wanted to watch the Harry Potter films. If I searched for the English title I had to pay, but the German titled ones were included, you just needed to change the audio to Engilsh on them.

(sorry for the rant!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I like the Butcher character, I don´t get the hate. Karl Urban does a great job...
    But Hughie.... jaysus, what a black hole of fun.... I roll my eyes when he is on screen.

On the other hand, Hughie fans wouldn't get your dislike for him, it is merely personal preference.

I don't dislike Butcher, I just find his supposed cockney accent cringey, and he is a bit of a bore

• Advertisement

To be honest, I'd find that extremely anti-climactic. So much so that I might just cancel my subscription as I've only really kept it for this series.

There’s not enough hate between them for that to be a good payoff, in the comic
    homelander is involved with the sexual blackmail with the deep too. Also in the comic they take v to get powers which I think they are building to. They should work their way up to him through minor supes.

Mod: Spoiler tags added.

Advertisement