Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

PsychoPete wrote: »
    If they could choose I don't think love sausage would have chosen those powers

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I would say they are setting up for Stormfront or Homelander to Kill Maeve. Though as Maeve is the only gay character the showrunenrs might not want to kill her so just have her leave.
    The Butcher storyline is quite boring at the moment and Homelander just seems to be lead around by stormfront this season, they are shadows of their strong characters in Season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2.7: There's gotta be a confrontation next episode
    with whoever has this power! Yeah it could be Cindy but she blew people right up and she was in the uncontrolled powers place so maybe not. Maybe this is someone else Stormfront is controlling. I dunno.

Some really well put together scenes in the whole episode apart from this. I was thinking how it'd been good for that with nothing explosive storywise
    until right at the end!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I would say they are setting up for Stormfront or Homelander to Kill Maeve. Though as Maeve is the only gay character the showrunenrs might not want to kill her so just have her leave.
    The Butcher storyline is quite boring at the moment and Homelander just seems to be lead around by stormfront this season, they are shadows of their strong characters in Season 1.

She's bi.

Her naked in bed with two men in this episode was a subtle nod to this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

John Noble is a fine, very underrated character actor who deserves more awards ... But yikes his English accent was even worse than Urbans. Cow blimey wotch the cricket innit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭golfball37

pixelburp wrote: »
    John Noble is a fine, very underrated character actor who deserves more awards ... But yikes his English accent was even worse than Urbans. Cow blimey wotch the cricket innit?

All his relatives have strong kiwi accents in it. It’s deliberate and a mickey take is my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Homelander wrote: »

Now, with Maeve easily subduing Black Noir like he was a bold child, we have an idea of how disproportionately powerful she is as well, basically only behind Homelander.
    Maeve took out BN easily because she took advantage of his allergy, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,250 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

golfball37 wrote: »
    All his relatives have strong kiwi accents in it. It’s deliberate and a mickey take is my take on it.
    His aunt had a terrible cockney accent...his dad had a terrible cockney accent.
    I think his mum's was at least some type of English accent?
    It's still a tad distracting
    I didn't think the person doing the exploding head thing was the girl who escaped tbh she hadnt escaped when the cops head was exploded earlier in the series? I kinda thought the church group might be behind it to some degree they did pop a trains rivals head?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

Maeve took out BN easily because she took advantage of his allergy, nothing more.

Well she had a fairly good grip, he wasn't getting get out of it. The nuts were to incapacitate him.

scooby77 wrote: »
    Well she had a fairly good grip, he wasn't getting get out of it. The nuts were to incapacitate him.

Fair enough, but it's not going to do much Vs HL or SF, they'd melt her before she ever got close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

She had him in a headlock and it was effortless. She was opening sweets with one hand while doing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone else feeling a little tired of the constant reference to those Almond Joy bars?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Anyone else feeling a little tired of the constant reference to those Almond Joy bars?

nope....never even took heed of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

First I've heard it mentioned. Now if we're talking about Fresca...

J. Marston wrote: »
    She had him in a headlock and it was effortless. She was opening sweets with one hand while doing it.

Looked at the scene again, and you're right, she did take him out with ease when he was mid rage ... still nothing that would concern HL or SF. What is more puzzling though is how easily BN beat sh*t out of Starlight, are her powers just completely useless? He just used strength to kick her about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Looked at the scene again, and you're right, she did take him out with ease when he was mid rage ... still nothing that would concern HL or SF. What is more puzzling though is how easily BN beat sh*t out of Starlight, are her powers just completely useless? He just used strength to kick her about

Doesn't she have to harness her power from light or electricity first

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Are you sure it’s cockney ? Sounds Australian/New Zealand to me

That's cos the actors are themselves an Ozzie and kiwi and doing a bad job lol :D the whole father - son talk was about the cricket and taking Butcher across England to games IIRC. Plus other characters have remarked on Butcher's nationality - heck the guys dog is a bulldog cos they're really hitting those English clichés. I know it's a total broken record with me but it's just so distracting each episode, a small irritant in the corner of my eye. Up there with phoney Oirish accents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's cos the actors are themselves an Ozzie and kiwi and doing a bad job lol :D the whole father - son talk was about the cricket and taking Butcher across England to games IIRC. Plus other characters have remarked on Butcher's nationality - heck the guys dog is a bulldog cos they're really hitting those English clichés. I know it's a total broken record with me but it's just so distracting each episode, a small irritant in the corner of my eye. Up there with phoney Oirish accents.

Yeah, it is a bit pathetic. It's not like the Irish where there aren't that many notable actors though the woman playing Maeve is Irish but not from the right part of Ireland according to Prime's trivia popup.

I'd have been happier if they'd retconned Butcher as a Kiwi who lived in London or something like that. Becca's supposed to be English as well but that's clearly been dropped.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I agree the British accents they have are terrible. My understanding is similar to the Irish accents that American audiences find the authentic accents fake sounding.
    It is quite amazing that apart from Homelander, who seems the most powerful, the relative powers of the Supes is still unknown. I think the battle with BlacJ Noir might have been won by the element of surprise.

Wasn't surprised by BN being beaten by Maeve. You forgot Maeve is practically invulnerable and super strong. Hell in the intro episode she just stood in front of an armoured truck as it just folded around her.
    BN has taken damage from grenades and explosions etc but he's nowhere near Maeve's level of strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think the point of Black Noir is that he takes damage like a 'normal' person would but just has super strength and super regeneration powers ala Wolverine in X-Men.

This would explain why he's so heavily scarred also, rather than it being a plain side effect of Compound V, it's just cumulative damage on the surface.

Whereas characters like Maeve or Homelander just don't take damage to begin with, at least not by 'normal' means. So in the show Black Noir is several rungs below HL and Maeve.

re: the accents, I'm amazed by people who think they sound like Australians or New Zealanders. I know Karl Urban is from NZ, but honestly his accent in the show to me sounds nothing like NZ.

Just a classic, cliche theatrical UK accent for international audiences. His is OK from that POV at least but the rest of the family are fairly terrible even by that standard.

I am absolutely brutal at identifying accents so luckily none of that bothers me in the slightest.
    As long as it isn't a Tom Cruise Irish accent I'm all good with it :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I always find it kind of amusing that people give out about accents in a program about superheros, the world is a completely different thing so if you can believe someone can fly why not believe that a British accent would be slightly Kiwi also?

Clareman wrote: »
    I always find it kind of amusing that people give out about accents in a program about superheros, the world is a completely different thing so if you can believe someone can fly why not believe that a British accent would be slightly Kiwi also?

Because the world is basically ours only with corporate superheroes? A single conceit doesn't mean the entire worlds internal logic is up for grabs. By that, you could have American renamed Boner Land or the sky green if "anything goes" :) the whole shows fairly blunt satirical edge - especially since Stormfront came along - wouldn't work if it wasn't easy to identify "our world" and its existing foibles.

It's not giving out anyway, just a resting wrinkle in an otherwise interesting show. Like a stellar soundtrack where every 3 or 4 bangers we get Polka music. Just a jarring gear shift each time.

Anthony Starr and Dominique McElligott have no issue with their American accents so just down to the actors ability. I wouldn't even care so much if Butcher was a good character but he just floats about in his Bad Boy Cool outfit saying c*nt every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I think the point of Black Noir is that he takes damage like a 'normal' person would but just has super strength and super regeneration powers ala Wolverine in X-Men.

This would explain why he's so heavily scarred also, rather than it being a plain side effect of Compound V, it's just cumulative damage on the surface.

Whereas characters like Maeve or Homelander just don't take damage to begin with, at least not by 'normal' means. So in the show Black Noir is several rungs below HL and Maeve.

re: the accents, I'm amazed by people who think they sound like Australians or New Zealanders. I know Karl Urban is from NZ, but honestly his accent in the show to me sounds nothing like NZ.

Just a classic, cliche theatrical UK accent for international audiences. His is OK from that POV at least but the rest of the family are fairly terrible even by that standard.
    Agreed ref accents Most uk movies with the hard man have cockneys. Just look at snatch :D

Well with the Black Noir aka Black Black deviation from the comics who is is, maybe Edgars but Stormfront will not like that.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Agreed ref accents Most uk movies with the hard man have cockneys. Just look at snatch :D

Well with the Black Noir aka Black Black deviation from the comics who is is, maybe Edgars but Stormfront will not like that.

well we know its not Edgars. Remember the phone call scene in the aunt's place where Black Noir got a phone call from Edgar so he could talk to Butcher?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Blazer wrote: »
    well we know its not Edgars. Remember the phone call scene in the aunt's place where Black Noir got a phone call from Edgar so he could talk to Butcher?

Meant a clone of Edgars, comic book says
    BN is clone of homelander but you could see BN skin is black.

Mod: Spoiler tags added.

Before I knew who he was or where from [don't recall ever seeing him in anything before] , I thought he was South African or a Kiwi the moment he appeared in the show - In fact it was only when I first visited this very thread I discovered he was meant to be English/Cockney - his accent is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Good episode, ending was a WTF moment.

I'm curious about
    Stormfront, and who's backing her. She said Stanley Edgar put her in the team, but as a man of colour himself, surely he would not be backing someone who is essentially a White supremacist, Nazi or whatever other term you want to use. Is he aware of her motivations and if so, why did he back her? Or is he totally unaware of her true nature.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Good episode, ending was a WTF moment.

I'm curious about
    Stormfront, and who's backing her. She said Stanley Edgar put her in the team, but as a man of colour himself, surely he would not be backing someone who is essentially a White supremacist, Nazi or whatever other term you want to use. Is he aware of her motivations and if so, why did he back her? Or is he totally unaware of her true nature.

She could be full of shít about that either.

Advertisement