Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back hanging...

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's relatively common in South Africa. A lot of people believe it will cure HIV, which is very common there. I assume the level of child rape is related to the superstition and widespread infection.
    The president of SA supported that superstitious guff on radio a number of years ago. What a sack of spuds. Imagine the harm he might have caused with his superstitious nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I'm more concerned about this man's crime than stuff people say on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Who are the do gooders? Have any of them expressed a desire to stand up for this guy?

Some posters suggested he shouldn’t have a defence lawyer. As if denying people a legal defence is a good president.

I think these threads reminds us how much bloodlust is kept beneath the surface in a lot of people. Frightening to think so many posters want to be so violent towards other people.

Leave it to the justice system and try to relax. There have always been bad bastards in the world

you may be one, 'Leave it to the justice system' what will the judge say 'oh yes mr x I see you are not right in the head I may confine you in a mental hospital till I get time to review your case' blood lust? this guy/animal abused a baby god forbid he doesn't get a fair trial---what the hell are you thinking?:mad::mad::mad:

decky1 wrote: »

you may be one, 'Leave it to the justice system' what will the judge say 'oh yes mr x I see you are not right in the head I may confine you in a mental hospital till I get time to review your case' blood lust? this guy/animal abused a baby god forbid he doesn't get a fair trial---what the hell are you thinking?:mad::mad::mad:

Yeah. Leave it to the justice system. If shunning mob violence in favour of the justice system makes me a do-gooder, then that’s a very low bar.

A few posters have used the term ‘civilised’ society. I think one of the points of a civilised society is to ensure people don’t dehumanise each other.

Someone I live with works with criminals in a mental hospital setting. Working directly with criminals. They can’t really fake it to get into mental hospital prison. They still lose their freedom and can’t harm people in society. That’s the important thing to me.

The bloodlust for the perpetrator to be beaten to death, tortured, executed slowly, castrated and so on, is not making things better. That kind of bloodlust is adding to the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

After the shock subsided over the weekend - because it felt like a body blow to hear of this - my thoughts have gone to the people who have been forever wounded by this.
    The baby of course, unbearable almost to think of their suffering, but also the mother, grandparents, uncles, aunties, cousins and extended family on both sides who have to process this evil act somehow. And the neighbours who live nearby, and their teenagers and even younger children who will somehow hear of this terrible act and have to cope with the knowledge of atrocity so close to them. Children who barely know the concept of sex may have to integrate a terrible dark knowing before their time. Their parents will have to cope with that. And then the police persons who had to respond - how traumatised they must be. An unbearable discovery. All the staff who work in that area - the discovery invaded their lives. And almost worst of all, because they have to struggle to repair and heal the battered body of the tiny baby - the doctors and nurses in the hospitals he was sent to, and all the staff who work there and all the patients, who must surely be so upset, bewildered and grieving for the child. So many people - one could hardly imagine how many, the post person, the local shopkeepers, the teachers in the schools, relatives far away, have to struggle now to integrate this terrible act into their consciousness, and still find love and joy in the world. We who hear of it are shocked, grieved and disturbed, but it must be an utter cataclysm in the lives of others.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Zorya wrote: »
    After the shock subsided over the weekend - because it felt like a body blow to hear of this - my thoughts have gone to the people who have been forever wounded by this.
    The baby of course, unbearable almost to think of their suffering, but also the mother, grandparents, uncles, aunties, cousins and extended family on both sides who have to process this evil act somehow. And the neighbours who live nearby, and their teenagers and even younger children who will somehow hear of this terrible act and have to cope with the knowledge of atrocity so close to them. Children who barely know the concept of sex may have to integrate a terrible dark knowing before their time. Their parents will have to cope with that. And then the police persons who had to respond - how traumatised they must be. An unbearable discovery. All the staff who work in that area - the discovery invaded their lives. And almost worst of all, because they have to struggle to repair and heal the battered body of the tiny baby - the doctors and nurses in the hospitals he was sent to, and all the staff who work there and all the patients, who must surely be so upset, bewildered and grieving for the child. So many people - one could hardly imagine how many, the post person, the local shopkeepers, the teachers in the schools, relatives far away, have to struggle now to integrate this terrible act into their consciousness, and still find love and joy in the world. We who hear of it are shocked, grieved and disturbed, but it must be an utter cataclysm in the lives of others.

Well said.

It's shocking, my weekend wasn't right after hearing about this.
    I'm no snowflake.
    I'm deplored at a fair trial being suggested.

Anyone who thinks this animal deserves a fair trial is to be considered lacking any empathy or humanity.

It's effected thousands of people.

I couldn’t agree more. This is where the focus should be. There will be ripples of people affected to various degrees. They all need support in dealing with this.

nthclare wrote: »
    Well said.

It's shocking, my weekend wasn't right after hearing about this.
    I'm no snowflake.
    I'm deplored at a fair trial being suggested.

Anyone who thinks this animal deserves a fair trial is to be considered lacking any empathy or humanity.

It's effected thousands of people.

I wouldn’t accuse you of being a snowflake. There are more appropriate terms for someone who thinks there shouldn’t be a fair trial. Nobody has been found guilty yet. The trial is where we determine guilt, not on boards in the mob.

I trust the justice system to keep the perpetrator away from society for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Yeah. Leave it to the justice system. If shunning mob violence in favour of the justice system makes me a do-gooder, then that’s a very low bar.

A few posters have used the term ‘civilised’ society. I think one of the points of a civilised society is to ensure people don’t dehumanise each other.

Someone I live with works with criminals in a mental hospital setting. Working directly with criminals. They can’t really fake it to get into mental hospital prison. They still lose their freedom and can’t harm people in society. That’s the important thing to me.

The bloodlust for the perpetrator to be beaten to death, tortured, executed slowly, castrated and so on, is not making things better. That kind of bloodlust is adding to the problem.
    sorry I wouldn't have any faith in the justice system in this country,look at the drug gangs everyone knows who the are and what their at yet their walking around laughing at the police, old people afraid in their own homes, can't go out at night cos little scumbags robbing their homes and what happens when their caught a slap on the wrist, I think the justice system should have a lot stiffer penalties for these crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

sorry I wouldn't have any faith in the justice system in this country,look at the drug gangs everyone knows who the are and what their at yet their walking around laughing at the police, old people afraid in their own homes, can't go out at night cos little scumbags robbing their homes and what happens when their caught a slap on the wrist, I think the justice system should have a lot stiffer penalties for these crimes.

just as well it didn't happen in this country then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thankfully GB and NI are a wee better with their justice system when it comes to indivuals like this.

If this guy is found guilty, he will go down for a long long time.

This is a well thought through post. And it focuses exclusively on the victim and community and what they will need in the future as a result of this crime.

There are people out there who are hardwired to do horrible things. They should be locked up which this perpetrator presumably will be.

Getting angry and virtue signalling about what tortures you would like to get to inflict on this character is completely missing the point. No amount of torturing the perpetrator could make the situation better. The only way to make anything better is to focus on the child and their community to see what help they need and be prepared to offer that help in whatever way we can

Advertisement