Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo says "Immigrants 'more likely' to work and pay tax than average Irish person"

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

my missus is an immigrant. about 9 years ago, she went for a job interview and got down to the final 2. they chose the other person, an Irish girl.

after 1 week, the girl left the job as she couldnt hack it (too lazy). so the job was offered to my missus. she worked hard and within about 3 weeks, she already got promoted and was made more senior than many of the staff that were there for several years and 9 years on, is now one of the most senior people in the company. numerous Irish people have come into the company over the years and left after a few days. the foreign people tend to stay.

its only one example but its my example!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Leo can back up his inane statements with every statistic he can throw at us and i still wouldnt have any confidence in this muppet.
    Hes a disgrace of a politician and is showing no respect for Irish citizens, some of whom, granted stupidly, elected him to his cushy job.

Leo wasn't even the chosen leader by a majority of FG members, he was selected by senior member's above Coveney (who had more close to double the nominations leo had overall) proving that some votes are more equal than others within the FG party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

my missus is an immigrant. about 9 years ago, she went for a job interview and got down to the final 2. they chose the other person, an Irish girl.

after 1 week, the girl left the job as she couldnt hack it (too lazy). so the job was offered to my missus. she worked hard and within about 3 weeks, she already got promoted and was made more senior than many of the staff that were there for several years and 9 years on, is now one of the most senior people in the company. numerous Irish people have come into the company over the years and left after a few days. the foreign people tend to stay.

its only one example but its my example!

Your whole my GF immigrant story does prove nothing.

As for immigrants taking and staying in jobs well its kind of obvious and they need the work to get by where as Irish people are probably local and have more support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The saboteurs and the Luddites broke up the machines when their trades went. Economies used to be mainly agricultural. After that many of the jobs from the industrial revolution came and went. There are jobs now which would were undreamt of in the past. I am not pessimistic about the future. Even if it means machines doing all the work, it will generate the riches for humans to live as they want.

Are you working off assumptions that 'riches' get doled out among everybody?
    Because if they don't, the resulting imbalance creates little grounds for optimism. A strong concentration of power and wealth would naturally lead to some kind of violent uprising or revolution. I won't be around, but ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

JCX BXC wrote: »
    This remark splits me, I feel like Leo is finally standing up to the many welfare cheats and trying to make the true working class see that, but I also feel he's trying to legitimise the arrival of mass uneducated and culturally unintegratable immigrants (for the most part and while I'm a majority).

He's trying to be the Irish Barrack Obama in the sense that he's pandering for approval in the sense that he's trying to stand for everything while standing for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

topper75 wrote: »
    Are you working off assumptions that 'riches' get doled out among everybody?
    Because if they don't, the resulting imbalance creates little grounds for optimism. A strong concentration of power and wealth would naturally lead to some kind of violent uprising or revolution. I won't be around, but ...

I'd say by then. The way capitalism is going, one mega corporation will own everything including you and me :)

Advertisement