Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo says "Immigrants 'more likely' to work and pay tax than average Irish person"

Options
  • 03-10-2018 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭

Oh Leo.....
    Ireland had done better than its European neighbours because immigration was diverse and not confined to immigrants coming from mainly one country, he said.

In fact, he said, immigrants were very well integrated into the labour market and were “more likely to be working than the average Irish person and more likely to be paying tax”.

Personally I think Leo is talking crap.

link

In my own industry, there's prob 1 in every 20 that would be considered an immigrant (and I include those from within the UK in those numbers)

Just like his "look after those who get up early in the morning" budget spiel (then giving those on sw more in most cases).

I thought the country was back to almost zero employment anyway?

It looks like Leo, (Just like his predecessor) shouldn't ever be allowed to stray too far from his handlers, and seldom left to stray too far from a proof read, pre approved script.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I would say he's right. I'd imagine not many of those still on the live register are immigrants as most of them come here specifically to work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

It looks like Leo, (Just like his predecessor) shouldn't ever be allowed to stray too far from his handlers, and seldom left to stray too far from a proof read, pre approved script.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hes correct, when you look at native irish people and immigrants separately a larger percentage of immigrants are working and contributing taxes than when you look at the percentage of Irish people that are working and contributing.

People may not like it but its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Oh Leo.....

if the post office in my local tesco is anything to go by on a thursday & friday morning we're far off zero employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

neris wrote: »
    if the post office in my local tesco is anything to go by on a thursday & friday morning we're far off zero employment.

Friday is pension day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Oh Leo.....

link

In my own industry, there's prob 1 in every 20 that would be considered an immigrant (and I include those from within the UK in those numbers)

Just like his "look after those who get up early in the morning" budget spiel (then giving those on sw more in most cases).

He didn't say immigrants make up more of the workforce, just that they are more likely to be working.

So, what is the unemployment rate for immigrants versus Irish citizens.

Your 1 in 20 stat is completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm not sure what point you wanted to make here? I would have thought 1 in every 20 non Irish was quite a good quota.

I'm not sure what percentage of non Irish we have compared to Irish but I'd hazard a guess i in 20 is about right. Then you have jobs like hospital workers from cleaners to doctors would be a high amount of non Irish. Order a dominos & You wont get an Irish person delivering. Not from my branch you wont anyway. How many Irish work in Italian fish & chip shops? I have yet to see an irish person work in a Chinese take away or restaurant. There are industries that are almost non Irish as we no longer want to do the work

I don't have any facts or figures so I can only go on what I see in my daily life. Maybe if I lived in other parts of the country I'd see things differently but overall I'd have to say I agree with Leo on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I would say he's right. I'd imagine not many of those still on the live register are immigrants as most of them come here specifically to work

I would say that he worded it badly. Very badly indeed.

The average Irish person is working and paying taxes.

It's very reminiscent of an Endaism gaffe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

The social welfare payments dropped when the icelandic volcano erupted because there were loads of immigrants making social welfare claims that couldn't fly back on time to sign on, those immigrants Leo ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I work in a tech company and the Irish are well outnumbered; we have, at last count, 12 different nationalities, as well as a few 2nd generation.

I would say Leo is right tbh; for every non national we have working, there's likely 2-3 Margaret Cash types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Eh, sorry dude, but you’re going to need more than a sample size of one to be able to dismiss what he said. Your own experiences aren’t necessarily the reality of the world.

This thread is a bit weak to be honest, and seems to be just an excuse to have a go at the Taoiseach.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    The social welfare payments dropped when the icelandic volcano erupted because there were loads of immigrants making social welfare claims that couldn't fly back on time to sign on, those immigrants Leo ?????

Thats old news. Social welfare tightened things up & that no longer happens. They make non Irish sign on regularly where Irish actually sign on about once a year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Oh Leo.....

link

You mean zero unemployment?

Immigrants that are allowed work are probably paying their fair share of tax, whereas the “long term unemployed” who go out and nixer 2-3 times a week for a few hours most certainly aren’t.
    Working Immigrants who pay tax are an important part of the future of this country as they will pay for the generous state pension that is costing the state a fortune.
    Fg+FF don’t have the balls to cut pension or welfare to cut the cost of the runaway welfare system, so there are two options left:
    (1) tax the working people more to pay for welfare.
    (2) create more jobs and have more immigrants working who will pay tax and contribute to welfare.
    (3) (I call this the option that’ll never happen as we don’t have a political party who will do this bar Renua, who are a joke shop) reform welfare and pensions, introduce a flat tax, get everyone to pay tax and contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

What data is our Taoiseach using to make such bold statements ?

And seeing as he’s done absolutely sweet fluck all for those of us that do actually work, what’s his point ?

I don’t care what some lazy arseh0le down the road gets every dole day.

I only care about how much it’s costing me. Right now it’s costing us all way too much and despite all his bull**** promises and 2 budgets later, Leo has done sweet fluck all to sort it..

Leo the liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

He also didnt say that the average Irish person isn't working.

He said an immigrant is more likely to be working that an Irish person.

If you're going to get outraged at least get outraged about what he actually said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I work in a tech company and the Irish are well outnumbered; we have, at last count, 12 different nationalities, as well as a few 2nd generation.

I would say Leo is right tbh; for every non national we have working, there's likely 2-3 Margaret Cash types.

If the Irish are 'well outnumbered' it's because the wages/conditions are ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ongarite

Same for the UK, immigrants are more likely to work and contribute more to economy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-workers-uk-tax-treasury-brexit-migrants-british-citizens-a8542506.html?amp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Thats old news. Social welfare tightened things up & that no longer happens. They make non Irish sign on regularly where Irish actually sign on about once a year

Anyone claiming dole should be made sign on in person every day.

If they’re available for work it shouldn’t be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Oh Leo.....

link

I bet he's statistically correct.

Have you evidence to the contrary?

Its still relevant, and theres no proof, just a PR announcement that they have tightened things up.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what percentage of non Irish we have compared to Irish but I'd hazard a guess i in 20 is about right. Then you have jobs like hospital workers from cleaners to doctors would be a high amount of non Irish. Order a dominos & You wont get an Irish person delivering. Not from my branch you wont anyway. How many Irish work in Italian fish & chip shops? I have yet to see an irish person work in a Chinese take away or restaurant. There are industries that are almost non Irish as we no longer want to do the work

Your guess is very, very wrong.
    Also you make it sound like you live in some apartheid state. Where I am most chinese would have an Irish person or two in them, half of delivery drivers are Irish and all the cleaners where I work are Irish.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I bet he's statistically correct.

Have you evidence to the contrary?

Given that not many immigrants are of pension age he'll be able to say he's technically correct. The best kind of correct.

the bang of desperation off you

Rennaws wrote: »
    Anyone claiming dole should be made sign on in person every day.

If they’re available for work it shouldn’t be a problem.

Er, no. We want our unemployed out looking for jobs & not signing on.

If everyone had to sign on everyday we'd need bigger offices & more staff. It would cost the taxpayer more to pay out the same.

Bad business model

He forgot the bit where they get the free stuff first (houses, buggys etc) and then go and pay tax, but still live in the free house without a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

We need to accept that the majority of the biggest wasters, spongers and benificaries of the "pay nothing take everything" chort are actually Irish nationals. The intergenerational welfare merchants who will never contribute anything except complain about the "bleedin immigrants coming here taking the jobs we'll never do"

I'm no fan of Leo but as one of the people who get up early in the morning I get the point he's making

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This was an argument in the Brexit referendum too. I think the research is fairly clear, especially for EU migrants. People move to work and have a decent standard of living. The ones who emigrated are the ones with the get-up-and-go to do something for themselves. The lazy foreigners are still in their own country just like some lazy Irish who live on the dole.

Overall I’d say it’s highly likely that migrants are working at a much higher rate than native Irish. The type of work they do might not put a lot of them in the higher income tax bracket, but it’s all work that needs to be done.

Your guess is very, very wrong.
    Also you make it sound like you live in some apartheid state. Where I am most chinese would have an Irish person or two in them, half of delivery drivers are Irish and all the cleaners where I work are Irish.

You state as fact that my guess of one in 20 being about right yet you fail to provide any links backing up your claims. I'm calling BS here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

If the Irish are 'well outnumbered' it's because the wages/conditions are ****e.

Nope- several of them moved from their countries (a lot of EU nationals) specifically for the job.

My own salary is decent, and we also get fully paid health insurance (that I'd never be able to afford).

• Advertisement

Only if you’re over 60 you need sign on once a year and get paid into the bank. Those signing on under 60 have to sign on once a month and collect their payment from post office.

I have to agree with Leo here. Lots of foreign nationals working around here while there are a few families of lifelong dolers.

Advertisement