Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel of Time (Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Also as a book reader and a huge fan, I'd like that. I'm eager to discuss this, but the constant whinging is keeping me away from giving this thread more than a quick glance and occasional comment.

Id be in favour of splitting the thread

The constant whinging about the very fair discussion of the books is a bit offputting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I did enjoy the Tower scenes in this episode but would have liked more involvement from the other 5. Perrin is busy healing of course but even so. Curious about where they're going with the eye of the World plot and there's got to be more than one way of opening the Ways than using the power but I really like what they've done with them. The politics between the Ajahs of the Aes Sedai and the plotting was well done. I wish they hadn't been affected so much by Covid. Scenes like when the camera pans up the Hall of the Tower and it looks like a video game...nah. Rafe did mention post production VFX was and is affected by Covid. Going to need to rewatch this episode, a bit unsure about it. They had a huge issue with Mat which is not of their doing, I think they did a decent job considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

12: OK! That was a good episode! Certainly from the story-writing point of view.

Damn they better

Hope Mat wasn't the one! 😁 Unless he's gonna get magicked over (or travell over) to them later on. 🙂

Very ominous there at the end walking into that dark place. I assume a dark cave/building or maybe a different time zone or maybe the sky darkens whereever this "Dark One (TM) is.

I thought the politics inside the tower built well on the earlier episodes and delivered the result here. Doesn't hurt the story to "move along now" outside the tower 🙂

Boobs! 😁

Was reminded of the Star Trek Discommendation of Worf during the episode as well 🙂

From wiki, I think the first WOT time Book was out the same year as the episode. I wonder if one might have inspired another or maybe they both had inspiration from before.

Was trying to place all the Aes Sedai colours.. Think I spotted: Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, White, Brown.. and was there another there.. maybe teal/grey/black?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The only thing with splitting the book and tv viewers we would miss out some speculation on how changes will go down the road. Given what they did with the Expanse I doubt Amazon will finish the series given it doesn't seem that popular. Hey as bad as may seem to some book readers at least it's not as bad as the Legend of the seeker or Shannara Chronicles adaptations. Not many good fantasy series

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Same but someone else suggested it might just be a Ter'angreal, but if it is then thats crappy by the writers for not introducing the concept of them before showing one being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I would say it a ter’angreal that brings them into TAR (dream world) as it’s Suiain’s childhood home which we know is no more.

dreaming has featured in the show a bit with Rand and hopefully they play perrin’s abilities up here a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's more whinging from the people who haven't read the books.

The show isn't following the books. At this point there's no point comparing them. Its a similar but not the same.

You have to enjoy it for what it is. Not what it isn't.

We shouldn't explain things that are in the books but not in the TV at that point.

I'd like to hear the perspective of the non book audience in explaining these things. It would help change my perspective to be the same as theirs and let go of the books when watching the show.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

I really liked the last episode for the most part. The Aes Sedai were given a sense of gravitas, not so much scale or importance upon the world though. The White tower looks so clean and new it could almost be green-screened and my God where does the budget go?, It must have gone on the fretwork on EVERY wall in every building on the show.

Does anyone else think that Moiranne is the only getting decent character development?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I think Nynaeve has been pretty cool.

Very good casting, and way more sympathetic as a character than in the books.

Shout out to Liandrin also, the actress has elevated the character.

I don't find Nynaneve does much. Other than when when she channelled she hasn't done anything. If she is the most powerful they've ever seen why are they basically ignoring her. I don't get it.

Liandrin seems like the cheerleader bully.

I don't see much depth to the rest of them yet. The plot only seem to move on and develop when she is on screen.

I guess after she was introduced in episode 1, and obviously she had that role with Egwene where she's welcoming her into the women's circle, Nynaeve got kidnapped by a Trolloc and killed it.... Off-screen she tracked down Moiraine and Lan.... Treated Moiraine and kept her alive.... Built a budding romance with Lan.... Demonstrated massive ability in the One Power.... Became a pawn in White Tower politics...

Out of curiosity, if you were the writer, what else would you have done with the character so far? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

Books and time constraints aside, things seem to be just happening like Mat getting cured of the venom symbiote, Perrin and Egwene just being in the city, Moiranne and her mysterious little door (I know what it is) and the group arriving and entering the Ways (minus Mat). Some choice visual situations and a few clever lines of dialogue would clear up, explain things and tighten up the story.

I still like the show. I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I also still like the show, and for the most part I am finding the differences to the book interesting rather than setting me off in a rage (One potential change would send me off but I don't think they will do it).

I still like talking about the show in the context of the books, but for the most part it is knowing where the book goes and how the show will now have to weave a different path - and what that path could be. It is fun trying to puzzle out what is going to happen with Mat in the next two episodes (and on into season 2).

I assume the show will still look to hit the main beats that the book did. But already we are seeing there will have to be big enough differences in how they go about it - and even some of the relatively smaller changes could have big impacts going forward if certain elements are retained.

I find the show interesting, and I find the differences even more interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

My buddy linked me this brilliantly made video which outlines the major issues with editing, cinematography, costumes, sets, writing, direction.

Worth a watch https://youtu.be/ESqAvQee8DE?t=145

I guess I would associated wise women and a particularly powerful healer,

A) with the one power and thus its not a blot from the blue when she does use it.

B) why it makes her the defacto leader (mother) of the two rivers contingent.

C) why it brings her into conflict with everyone else, and especially moraine and lan, and the tower.

or I guess you could have her as stubborn petulant moody teen, who all this stuff happens at random, because well fate and stuff. Oh and the Dragon...it could be you...next jungle challenge.. and she'll end up queen of the jungle. (...may have got shows mixed up...)

I love your optimism. But I think all bets are off. We are not in Kanas anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Overall I'm enjoying the show. I don't like all the changes from the books but I can understand what they did some of them.

Regarding Mat not entering the ways, one of the reasons I saw for that was

Just after episode 6 was filmed there was a break in filming because of Covid. The actor playing Mat didn't come back after the break and they basically had to rework some stuff to not have him there.

The actress playing Liandrin has one of the best worst faces in the business, i still remember her from a two minute role in Les Miserables shes that horrible in it

Why did they recast Mat, is that known yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

From the above I'd be wondering if he's a covidiot?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,251 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Haven y'all lost interest in this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still watching it, still enjoying it though only finished episode 5 last night. There's a lot of other stuff out at the moment that has pulled my attention (Lost in Space, The Expanse, while The Witcher season 2 dropped today)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

I don't think any official reason has been given. There are some unsubstantiated rumours flying around alright but there is pretty much media blackout from anyone involved with the show. It does explain Mat not entering the ways though. I'd expect he had to be written out of episodes 7 and 8 and will re-appear as the new actor in season 2.

Ep7 starts so well and goes downhill with a bit of a reprise at the end.

The Aiel fight was very well done i have to say. Hats off for that.

The out of nowhere love triangle between Perrin, Rand and Egwene is laughably bad writing and the acting was worse :D. Loial just disappears conveniently for most of the episode. Some decent braid tugging action.

The idea of Moraine turning the reds on Mat is interesting but seems flawed in the execution here. Presumably the reds would know who Lan is and where he comes from so they could reasonably assume that Moraine is behind the letter as how would anyone in Fal Dara know who Mat Cauthon is. Will see how it plays out i guess. Maybe it is supposed to be some kind of double bluff.

The reveal of Rand as the Dragon seemed a little lack lustre. Still hoping to see him go all out for the finale but no mention of a fight at Tarwin's gap so i guess there's something different in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭kerplun k

They actually recast him 😀.

I'm guessing it was because he was just wrong for the role. I've said before that it looked like he was acting in a different show. Its good news IMO, The guy playing him isn't a bad actor or anything, he just wasn't a good fit.

I wonder how they'll deal with this. IIRC, Mats appearance didn't change to the point that you could have a different actor playing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭kerplun k

• Advertisement

No point me writing anything much more. 100% agree on everything.

The pacing and cinematography of this episode was terrible

Advertisement