Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrassed by neighbours

Options
124»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Re getting the Gardaí or as some as suggested senior Gardaí, they can do nothing unless you have evidence. From reading through the posts you haven't actually witnessed any of the incidents or actual proof to say it's the neighbors from hell.

For Gardaí to be able to do something they need evidence - CCTV, eyewitness, fingerprints etc.

Well guards would do something if the op had the right connections in AGS but most people don't.

I've seen guards arrest people for being in the same shop as another person, other person made allegation that something happened outside shop, they also had friends high up in the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

Well guards would do something if the op had the right connections in AGS but most people don't.

I've seen guards arrest people for being in the same shop as another person, other person made allegation that something happened outside shop, they also had friends high up in the force.

If the allegation is direct e.g "X did Y to me" then that's direct evidence that can be used in court.

But in this instance, the OP believes the neighbors did somethings but without any direct evidence to support this belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd be inclined to go the 'helpful and naive' route. Warn your neighbours that 'someone' has put tacks on your driveway and you've had to get the gardai round and are considering CCTV, and that 'something' has been after your chickens so you've put down traps/poison and are getting a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Nothing really to add that has not been said before. Sad state of affairs and you have my sympathies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I had one incident more than 20 years ago when I moved into an old rented rural cottage not knowing that it was in the middle of a dreadful land dispute. Woke up to thumps on the door and a very angry - scarily so - drunken man threatening to burn the house down some night while we slept. He repeated this again and again, roaring like someone possessed. Found out about the guy who was now my next door neighbour and everyone told me he was a psycho with Republican connections who had done awful things to a person who had crossed him before. I went to the police. Told them the story. I did have a distant string I could pull in terms of connection - not major, but sufficient. The local guards promised me they would be on his back day and night, to stop him in the car every time they saw him to check his documents, to breathalyse him on his way home from the pub, to check in on his farm often for irregularities etc. - and fair play to them, they did. They let him know he was in trouble and being watched. They can do this. He skulked around like a wounded dog, glowering at me, looking at me sideways, for months. He was frightened off that's for sure, but the only real peace I could get in the end was to move far away from him. I know you own your house, and say that is not possible - so if you are willing to tolerate a skulking, glowering neighbour try and impress upon your local police persons that you want serious action taken, and it might help. If you have any connections in the guards, no matter how distant, impress upon them too that you need serious help.
    Again good luck. It's an awful situation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Go the a higher up guard and make sure they investigate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I think people suggesting you use a connection in the Guards are having fond memories of a different time before every access to PULSE was logged.

Having a "connection" in the Guards is not going to help you these days, particularly since the last scandal and with the new commissioner in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

....... wrote: »
    I think people suggesting you use a connection in the Guards are having fond memories of a different time before every access to PULSE was logged.

Having a "connection" in the Guards is not going to help you these days, particularly since the last scandal and with the new commissioner in place.

That's possibly true. It was a long time ago. But they are thankfully still human beings who talk to each other at get togethers and golf outings etc. I'd give it a shot if I was going through what the OP is going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's always one arsehole ready to push this angle trying to disguise it in being a wannabe shrink. You read what the scumbags did.

What?

I'm no shrink and that's not my angle. I'm no scumbag and this didn't happen me. I commented as I've personal experience. I lived next to a man who had murdered a vulnerable young person. Gutted them like a fish, pulled their eyes out. Fancied himself as a hardman but he was a bully. He would walk into a neighbours house and intimidate the man, making sexual remarks about his wife and his daughter in front of him, take money off him, slap him, and yerman would just stand there.

Why did he hassle this man and not hassle my family?

Two months it went on for until I heard about the extent of it. When he moved in he had parked his car blocking my drive and didn't move it for my wife. When I got home I had him move his car. He smirked, we had a mature conversation about why he was smirking, and that was his last smirk. Zero hassle from him after, I didn't think much of it. I grew up in Limerick, it wasn't my first rodeo. He was yes sir, no sir, two bags full sir behind it all. A handbag is what he was. A week after he was drinking cans outside on his wall with his buddies and I had to take his cans off him. Other than that no problems, and I didn't know what he was at.

I had to have a word with him after my wife asked me, as yerman was in a bad state, he was a right bag of nerves. Spoke with this man and he had been bullied since school, he'd been bullied at work, even his wife was bullying him. So often it comes back to zero inability to take care of yourself and a much wider issue that the op has to sort out. Most people on here on boards have been insulated in wool and think the guards are their personal security. Haven't a clue what it's like in the real world. There is no way in hell I'd put up with what the op is putting up with.

And before anyone asks, gards didn't give a sh't about what this man was doing; lack of services, resources and government interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Re getting the Gardaí or as some as suggested senior Gardaí, they can do nothing unless you have evidence. From reading through the posts you haven't actually witnessed any of the incidents or actual proof to say it's the neighbors from hell.

For Gardaí to be able to do something they need evidence - CCTV, eyewitness, fingerprints etc.

Not true. They can sound a warning and in many cases that will be enough. Senior gardai I mean I mean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Having been through something similar in the past (except with more than 1 family involved) I believe you have two viable options, given I don't know the level of scumbagness of these people on a day to day basis.

Move, if you can, to preserve your sanity and quality of life. Be that selling & buying, or renting & renting.

Or

Go outside of the law and get some serious shady characters involved. Which may have other implications for you in the future.

Been through the mill with Gardaí, I wouldn't recommend them, cctv cameras, or the legal route in general, real life is different to an episode of Matlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

badtoro wrote: »
    Having been through something similar in the past (except with more than 1 family involved) I believe you have two viable options, given I don't know the level of scumbagness of these people on a day to day basis.

Move, if you can, to preserve your sanity and quality of life. Be that selling & buying, or renting & renting.

Or

Go outside of the law and get some serious shady characters involved. Which may have other implications for you in the future.

Been through the mill with Gardaí, I wouldn't recommend them, cctv cameras, or the legal route in general, real life is different to an episode of Matlock.

This is what I suggested many pages ago, but it got the backs of the usual do-gooders up.

What the ivory-tower crowd don't realise is that there are people out there who will only laugh at a visit from the guards and who can't be ignored. An overwhelming show of force is the only thing they will repect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I don't think gardai are gonna help much here unless you got footage of them in the act. They are surely gonna be careful and strike when your out or asleep. You might catch something on camera but surely they will be hooded which makes cameras useless. It's not legal to aim a camera over your garden wall but i'd make an exception since they are already invading your space big time and entering your property. I'd have cameras ready, even one quietly sitting on your window sill aimed towards their property and keep them running 24/7, eventually you catch something. You can disguise the camera if you want, hide it behind a teddy bear or a photo frame.

I think you might also need to meet them at their level and show them you can be a fcker to, even if your not i'd find a way just to keep them in their place...Don't be afraid to talk back if they make a stupid comment to you out their window or passing by your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

victor8600 wrote: »
    Catch them in the act with hidden cameras to provide evidence against them when you go down the legal route.

This may not work as intended if the neighbour accuses the OP of illegal snooping. See the recent article in independent.ie: 'Neighbour from hell' with 16 CCTV cameras spared jail after being found guilty of harassment

The man's guilt seems to be installing CCTV cameras to help with misbehaving neighbours. Now he is painted as some kind of peeping Tom. They have even brought up the "think of the children" argument.
    Kelly ... claimed that the 16 cameras were primarily used for security and to monitor the boundaries of his land – the subject of an ongoing civil dispute. In their evidence, the victims said they had been “stalked”. Mr Mooney said: “I have a teenage daughter and a son with a camera pointed at their bedrooms. It terrifies me to think that’s going on.”
    Seriously? This man had cameras pointed directly at kids bedroom windows that were connected to a live feed tv in his living room and you think its his neighbours that are the problem?

OP you have my sympathy. Document everything, and report it to the police no matter how small it seems. Eventually something more significant will happen and all the other evidence can be used as backup. CCTV could be useful too, but make sure it only covers your own property and boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

bigpink wrote: »
    Go the a higher up guard and make sure they investigate it

There's two problems with that unfortunately.
    First is actually getting to see a such a garda. As he'll be "out of the station" or "give you a call back" when you try :pac:

Secondly as another person has said you still need evidence. Him having a word with someone isn't going to mean jack to a scumbag either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I pity the fools

:rolleyes:

If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Folks,
    Thanks so much for your advice. It's much appreciated. I've been going from furious to cyring all week so it's time to get this asshole out of my head.
    The plan is to get cctv and security lights. We'll also move the oil tank as it's right next to the boundry to his property.
    We're also going to secure the boundry of the property better but given the cost this will take time.
    I'm going to have a strong word with the local garda to see if they can do more.
    I'm not going to bring in the heavy gang but it has been suggested to have a word with local councillors or tds from a particular party who might be able to mediate on this.
    As much as I wish harm on this excuse for a human being i'd be just happy if this crap would just stop and we could go back to ignoring each other.

Advertisement