Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrassed by neighbours

Options
  • 26-09-2018 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I need some serious advice here.
    Last year some trouble kicked off with our neighbours because their dogs were coming into our garden killing our hens. We told them we'd report to the dog warden and they became verbally abusive and threatening so we contacted the gardai who had a word to say leave us alone.
    A month later our oil tank was damaged.
    Recently one of their dogs was injured and my kids put a bandage on it. Following day the car windscreen was smashed, a pile of nails was scattered on the driveway and the bandage was left in the middle of the nails. Called the gardai - no proof it was them.
    Today got some heating oil. Notice a smell of oil in the garden. A hole had been drilled in the bottom of the tank. No idea when it was done. No proof it was them.

We have had to put security cameras up on the house. What can I do? I seriously feel completely impotent!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Make the cameras hidden and catch them in the act so you can hopefully destroy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If the EPA get word that you’ve had a kerosene leak like that, you’ll have a lot more to worry about than neighbours.
    Yes hide cameras the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Make notes time dates if every incident plus install cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Tough predicament to be in OP and I wouldn't fancy trading places with you, but you could go around and round for posts on end discussng what you should or should not do, but at the end of the day, without evidence these neighbours will keep giving you the runaround.

You need to install hidden cameras to catch them, and decoy cameras that you can also point hidden cameras at to maybe catch them interfering with them too.

Good luck, sounds like a right nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Get more cameras, something like an Arlo that sends you an alert along with a recording when it’s triggered. I wouldn’t bother with decoys.

The cameras will keep them quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TomEire

Catch them with hidden cctv is the only way you will get the better of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

rtron wrote: »
    Kill the dog maybe?

Oh that should certainly defuse the situation.

OP, hound the Gardai until they do something about it. I would be very careful with your neighbors OP, sound like they are a bit touched in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

They sound like absolute inbred scum. Scum breed scum.

The problem is even hidden cameras probably wont make any difference. They probably have their young scumlings wearing hoodies when they're up to their shenanigans damaging your property. Cant ID someone if they're wearing a hoodie.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Someone unknown to either party can always be a great help....I find...just ask...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

is it a semi d ?

fire cures all ills

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If the EPA get word that you’ve had a kerosene leak like that, you’ll have a lot more to worry about than neighbours.
    Yes hide cameras the best option

Don't talk nonsense. They're hardly going to send Segal around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Oh that should certainly defuse the situation.

OP, hound the Gardai until they do something about it. I would be very careful with your neighbors OP, sound like they are a bit touched in the head.

it might as long as the shooting of the dog is reported to the guards the neighbour has no legal comeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

ganmo wrote: »
    it might as long as the shooting of the dog is reported to the guards the neighbour has no legal comeback

Mmmmmaybe.......that might be the case if they did it while the dog was in the act of savaging the hens...

Doing it several days/weeks/months later as retaliation isn't going to look very good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I doubt the neighbour will go the legal route for the comeback..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

wexie wrote: »
    Mmmmmaybe.......that might be the case if they did it while the dog was in the act of savaging the hens...

Doing it several days/weeks/months later as retaliation isn't going to look very good.

"About to" is included in the law

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

"About to" is included in the law

Use of a firearm in a residential area is included in a very specific law....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

We live in the country in a detached house. Their land is right next to us so they can literally stand in their own field and damage our oil tank. They live a few doors down.
    I imagine if we hurt their dog they'd kill ours along with our cat and all our hens.
    They are complete nutjobs and scumbags. They nearly drove me off the road a few times and i'd my kids in the car.
    The damage has cost us over €1000 at this stage. Now we've to spend money making our home like Fort Knox. I don't know whether i'm furious or upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

You're not going to beat these filth with cctv or any form of retaliation. The latter will just make things worse.

Do other neighbors have any issues with them? If so maybe get a few of them to contact guards as well. They can't ignore multiple complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Sounds like our pikey friends.
    Get cameras.
    Get a bug fooking weapon.

• Advertisement

Cameras and annoy the Gardai until they take it seriously. Get a dash cam for the car too. Build up the wall between your property and theirs.

Also, secure your property so their dog can't get in and your kids aren't playing with it/putting plasters on it.

No good at all will come from going down to their level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Crea wrote: »
    We live in the country in a detached house. Their land is right next to us so they can literally stand in their own field and damage our oil tank. They live a few doors down.
    I imagine if we hurt their dog they'd kill ours along with our cat and all our hens.
    They are complete nutjobs and scumbags. They nearly drove me off the road a few times and i'd my kids in the car.
    The damage has cost us over €1000 at this stage. Now we've to spend money making our home like Fort Knox. I don't know whether i'm furious or upset.

You won't like this maybe but would you consider selling up? Life is short and to lose your peace and well being to horrible people is not worth it. The things they have already done are atrocious - maybe a new start somewhere lovely with nice neighbours? I know people might think that is defeatist but not every war can be won. I wish you good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

How long have you live there, did this start from day one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Terrible position to be in, OP. Must be soul destroying.

There are things you can do. You shouldn't have to do them in a fair world. But this isn't fair. So....my thoughts....
    Sensor lights
    A tall brick wall
    Your own dogs
    Electric gates
    The more activity you have around the house, the more often, the better. Think BBQ, party, landscape contractors etc. Have people come & go often.

Hang in there. They will move on, eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

They moved in around 3 years ago. The trouble only started last year because we threatened to and actually reported them to the Gardai. No one else is prepared to go up against them because they are afraid of them so they haven't had the same level of trouble. They do have problems with their animals going on their land but put up with.
    We are kind of stuck where we are because we wouldn't get much money for our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Crea wrote: »
    They moved in around 3 years ago. The trouble only started last year because we threatened to and actually reported them to the Gardai. No one else is prepared to go up against them because they are afraid of them so they haven't had the same level of trouble. They do have problems with their animals going on their land but put up with.
    We are kind of stuck where we are because we wouldn't get much money for our house.

(((HUGS))) and prayers.

Have you called the dog warden? I know; you want to avoid more conftrontation.

Go higher up the chain of command in the Gardai though. To the Commisisioners office if need be and also the Ombudsman can clear a way . All by email....

And yes been almost where you are and involving higher Gardia ranks worked amazingly. Last 3 months in one rental I had a pair of Gardai assigned to me as we had gone higher up. One bit of trouble and they were there in minutes. The aggro stopped once the perps realised

Please, go higher with the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

A very large and loud dog could solve a lot of your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If a dog was in my place killing my pets, hens or otherwise they wouldn't have a dog for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If a dog was in my place killing my pets, hens or otherwise they wouldn't have a dog for very long.

with you; but war solves nothing. lateral thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Have a gang bang.

Advertisement