Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrassed by neighbours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If the EPA get word that you’ve had a kerosene leak like that, you’ll have a lot more to worry about than neighbours.
    Yes hide cameras the best option

The brother in law got an oil tank leak and they dug up his garden
    So I got rid of my oil and replaced with solid fuel
    It’s serious what they expect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The op to sell and move then they need to sell to someone who doesn't know the area and don't do their homework, which is unlikely ,the reputation of the ops neighbours is not going to help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

road_high wrote: »
    ....Only heard the truth after they'd moved. Would explore this if at all possible.

I would hate to spend years saving for deposits, getting a mortgage and setting up a home, only to be ran out of it by some antisocial scumbags with nothing better to be doing with themselves.

There are ways to make life difficult for them legally, for example, using cameras to monitor and capture scumbags in the act. Blur out a few faces and post the behaviour to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Feel very sorry for you, sister in law had a similar with a dub neighbour with his dogs and then started the abuse to her what he would do and wouldn’t do. We suggested to start waving to him on the road and not entertain him when he stopped to give verbals and not inter act and this drove him mad as he no longer had power over her.
    Now step two is a few bob to lads who are well got and a quick call around for a little chat also works very well, because a bully is very afraid of bigger bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Send a caller for a chat. End of the day its just a bully. They thrive on fear but at the back of it they are cowards.

Also strength in numbers. Surely to jaysus you have brothers nephews etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Where did they come from?One thing awkward or nosey neighbors but scum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Get the Ra after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Confront the father at his workplace, just for a wee private chat to begin with...
    Tell him next time you'll arrive with Gardaí.
    Totally blank/ghost his kids, I feel he will stop all this.
    Good Luck you poor woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I said the same thing scoop.according to old gravelly there though it wasn’t helpful and they need to call in the provos.i wasn’t good at the oul advice either according to master gravelly either.ah well.everydays a school day.

Did I hurt diddums feelings? Awwwww have a hug hun, I’m sure your advice to do nothing and take it like a man is the bestest advice in the whole school. Good boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

argolis wrote: »
    If you're putting up cameras, make sure you're not on shaky legal ground if it comes to it - you cannot be filming public places. So while you're fine to film around your own property, if any of it shows their land, it might be inadmissable. That also applies to your driveway, make sure it's angled not to record the public road and only records on your own land.
    I think you might even legally have to have a warning that there's CCTV on the property, maybe someone else can say for sure. It may not come to that, in that if they or the Guards are shown the footage, that might be the end of it but cover yourself as much as possible.

Well your advice is absolutely incorrect. Lots of ifs and maybes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Well your advice is absolutely incorrect. Lots of ifs and maybes.

Yeah I found that advice strange too, our local guards actually ask that we share the cctv pointed at the road ASAP when something happens in the community and we think we may have footage of a vehicle/person passing by for example. (say they appreciate as it's how they can triangulate movements)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Gravelly wrote: »
    Did I hurt diddums feelings? Awwwww have a hug hun, I’m sure your advice to do nothing and take it like a man is the bestest advice in the whole school. Good boy.

Have a great weekend buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Edward M wrote: »

Thank you.

I read through each page fuming no one had called this out.

Anyway, op, can I ask have you had an issue with bullying in your youth, people bossing you around, dominating you, making a fool out of you, or is this your first time experiencing this type of behaviour? I don't want to victim blame because what is happening you is horrible, but it sounds like you have a difficulty standing up for yourself or you've met a right raving lunatic. Do any other neighbours get the same level of hassle from these people? Or is it just you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

myshirt wrote: »
    Thank you.

Anyway, op, can I ask have you had an issue with bullying in your youth, people bossing you around, dominating you, making a fool out of you, or is this your first time experiencing this type of behaviour?

There's always one arsehole ready to push this angle trying to disguise it in being a wannabe shrink. You read what the scumbags did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Get into the dog warden. Chances are they've not got a licence for the dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Jack Moore wrote: »

It’s unreal. It’s no laughing matter. It would cost a fortune to rectify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I would be inclined to make peace with them. They sound nuts and when dealing with insane people its best to be cautious.

Just apologise even though you dont owe them one. Fake sincerity.
    The alternative is this goes on and on forever. Goes to court etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

108199643]I must see if I know people who know people![/QUOTE]

Yep that works! I was once in a rental that was in the middle of a feud. I helped my landlord fight a court battle which enraged the other side...

They wanted me OUT so took to various tactics. At one time she used to ride on their tractor up and down outside the house in her nurse's uniform, ranting, taking photos and making filthy gestures

I reported this to the court office... the Judge I had met sorted it.

NB HAVE YOU CONTACTED HIGHER UP THE GARDAI YET? Trust me, it will work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You seem to be in a perpetual state of conflict, Grace. Falling out with neighbours, landlords, postmen, nurses, ESB workers, shop keepers, and members of the clergy.

Strike me as a very difficult and troublesome member of the human race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You seem to be in a perpetual state of conflict, Grace. Falling out with neighbours, landlords, postmen, nurses, ESB workers, shop keepers, and members of the clergy.

Strike me as a very difficult and troublesome member of the human race.

Bet she won’t respond to that.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Get into the dog warden. Chances are they've not got a licence for the dog!

Don't know why people keep recommending this. It's a small fine at most, won't bother scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

friend of mine had older 900l Kero tank split (as its base was uneven)

over the coarse of three months, the kerosene seeped under the house - causing fumes inside the house ...
    All interior floors had to be removed to a depth of 6 ft - they were out of the house for about 6 months.

moral of the story is to make sure you examine the plastic tanks, make sure they are level

Jack Moore wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

kyote00 wrote: »
    friend of mine had older 900l Kero tank split (as its base was uneven)

over the coarse of three months, the kerosene seeped under the house - causing fumes inside the house ...
    All interior floors had to be removed to a depth of 6 ft - they were out of the house for about 6 months.

moral of the story is to make sure you examine the plastic tanks, make sure they are level

Or get a simple plastic bund, (or make a simple one out of concrete lined in plastic sheeting) under your tank so that, in the event it does leak, the oil is contained.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I would be inclined to make peace with them. They sound nuts and when dealing with insane people its best to be cautious.

Just apologise even though you dont owe them one. Fake sincerity.
    The alternative is this goes on and on forever. Goes to court etc.

Yes, showing weakness is bound to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

myshirt wrote: »
    Thank you.

Fuming? About what? Your lack of understanding regarding the law?

Edward M wrote: »

I wasn't aware that the newspaper rag that is the independent, wrote the laws. In the title it even says "could", they use this word because they haven't a clue. They try to take a data protection spin on it, which is bollox. Clutching at straws. "Journalism"... what a joke. The justification of CCTV in the OP's case is warranted. CCTV is completely legal and you don't need to put up signs or anything else.

The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts.

You can photograph and record anybody and anything once you are in a public place. That includes children, police, other private property etc. You have a reasonable expectation to privacy, so if the focus of your recording is somebodies bedroom on the 2nd floor, that's going to get you into a bit of trouble.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

BBFAN wrote: »
    Don't know why people keep recommending this. It's a small fine at most, won't bother scumbags.

Dog wardens are in this country probably the laziest public sector workers out there.

They are toothless.

how was the neighbours's dog "injured" and why were your kids putting a bandage on it.....????

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

Re getting the Gardaí or as some as suggested senior Gardaí, they can do nothing unless you have evidence. From reading through the posts you haven't actually witnessed any of the incidents or actual proof to say it's the neighbors from hell.

For Gardaí to be able to do something they need evidence - CCTV, eyewitness, fingerprints etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Best advice so far is getting cameras in but, doing your best, to not let them see them being installed.

You want the scum to walk on to your property clearly showing their face while they do something. As opposed to covering themselves up at 3am in the morning. You'd still know it's them. But ya know yourself... 'could be anyone under the hood' etc.

Advertisement