Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrassed by neighbours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

If a dog was in my place killing my pets, hens or otherwise they wouldn't have a dog for very long.

The killer is u don't blame the dogs. He's horrible to them, he doesn't feed them properly. Strong suspicion he takes them out at night coursing.

Have a gang bang.

Shudder! He's mank but she's a complete skanger altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

If you're looking for discreet cameras I'd go with these if the wifi reaches: https://blinkforhome.co.uk/

Sorry to hear about your problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think you'd have to build up a body of evidence and avoid doing any retaliation while doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Sit down and watch lake view terrace, you might get a few ideas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Catch them in the act with hidden cameras to provide evidence against them when you go down the legal route.

I'd also recommend getting some extra judicial justice of your own - break into their house and take a shíte in their water tank or buy ten thousand dandelion seeds off the internet and scatter them all over their land or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Crea wrote: »
    They moved in around 3 years ago. The trouble only started last year because we threatened to and actually reported them to the Gardai. No one else is prepared to go up against them because they are afraid of them so they haven't had the same level of trouble. They do have problems with their animals going on their land but put up with.
    We are kind of stuck where we are because we wouldn't get much money for our house.

Very sorry for your troubles, sounds like a nightmare. I know of a very similar case not far from me.

Are these neighbours members of a certain minority ethnicity, or just common-or-garden scumbags? Do you know if they have lots of convictions or are just troublemakers? (These questions have relevance on how to proceed).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'd put an electric fence around the tank, you know like the one's farmers use to keep cattle from breaking out. Turn it on in the evenings and set to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

If you're putting up cameras, make sure you're not on shaky legal ground if it comes to it - you cannot be filming public places. So while you're fine to film around your own property, if any of it shows their land, it might be inadmissable. That also applies to your driveway, make sure it's angled not to record the public road and only records on your own land.
    I think you might even legally have to have a warning that there's CCTV on the property, maybe someone else can say for sure. It may not come to that, in that if they or the Guards are shown the footage, that might be the end of it but cover yourself as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Any idea whether they're renting or own the property?

They own the house unfortunately.
    We have checked with the Gardai about cctv and it's Ok.
    We don't have alot of money so having to spend it on security because our neighbours are degenerates is sickening.
    They are not a part of a minority community. No convictions although he may be involved in low key illegal stuff. He has a job. I think they are just bullies who aee used to people backing down when they roar and curse at them. The fact thatt we called the Gardai on them last year means we are on their **** list.

They own the house unfortunately.
    We have checked with the Gardai about cctv and it's Ok.
    We don't have alot of money so having to spend it on security because our neighbours are degenerates is sickening.
    They are not a part of a minority community. No convictions although he may be involved in low key illegal stuff. He has a job. I think they are just bullies who aee used to people backing down when they roar and curse at them. The fact thatt we called the Gardai on them last year means we are on their **** list.

That's all good stuff. In the case I mentioned, the family spoke to someone, who knew someone who knew a guy that was a member of a formerly active organisation that no longer exists (if you get my drift) and a quiet visit was made to the house. Never an issue since.
    The family in question are quiet sorts, and had exhausted the legal/Gardaí/CCTV route to no avail.

That approach only works if they aren't;
    A) Raving psychos with 156 convictions who have no sense of self-preservation
    or
    B) Travellers, who will happily cut off their nose to spite their face, and love a good feud

I must see if I know people who know people!

I must see if I know people who know people!

Jaysus I'm a prod and even I know people that know people.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

The killer is u don't blame the dogs. He's horrible to them, he doesn't feed them properly. Strong suspicion he takes them out at night coursing.

If they have Hounds for coursing running about the countryside its a matter of time until they are shot, do you have any farmers nearby? if so have a chat and tell them about the hounds killing your chickens especially if their sheep farmers chances are if they've killed your hens they already have or will kill lambs.
    Its just the right thing to warn neighbors about these dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

BlmYFXvCMAEcbiN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

sorry for your troubles op.an unpleasant situation.best to ignore them like they don’t even exist.that type of scum thrive on reactions and by not reacting you will starve them of the attention they need.
    By all means put up cameras and if anything happens you will get it as evidence but ignore them and get on with your life and let them see that they aren’t bothering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭victor8600

Catch them in the act with hidden cameras to provide evidence against them when you go down the legal route.

This may not work as intended if the neighbour accuses the OP of illegal snooping. See the recent article in independent.ie: 'Neighbour from hell' with 16 CCTV cameras spared jail after being found guilty of harassment

The man's guilt seems to be installing CCTV cameras to help with misbehaving neighbours. Now he is painted as some kind of peeping Tom. They have even brought up the "think of the children" argument.
    Kelly ... claimed that the 16 cameras were primarily used for security and to monitor the boundaries of his land – the subject of an ongoing civil dispute. In their evidence, the victims said they had been “stalked”. Mr Mooney said: “I have a teenage daughter and a son with a camera pointed at their bedrooms. It terrifies me to think that’s going on.”

I recommend going the official route, pester Gardai to follow up and document everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Tricky one OP. Nasty business.

The cops can do fcek all really even if they were bothered. Even if they convicted them of something, it will just escalate at your expense. You need to really scare them off i.e. get rid of them completely.

All this camera and fence advice is bollix imho. Thats defensive action which will never end, you now need to go offensive. They have already crossed the line in several ways (car damage, driving at you, oil tank, nails). It wont just stop.

My advice.
    1. Find out who these folks are. Complete background check - maybe a senior Garda can help here. Find out who they know, relations, previous run ins with law or other good folks, financial affairs etc. Know your enemy inside out. Ireland is a small place. Track their movements, where they shop/drink etc.
    2. Talk to the locals. You need people to back you up. There must be some folks with backbone in your community. Good people like to help others. There are ways and means to intimidate these folks. These neighbours need to feel isolated and under siege from the whole community. Hit them where it hurts e.g. a spontaneous tax audit, land registry question, water usage query. Have you talked to your TD or councilors?
    3. You may need to get medieval here. Rule nothing out. Show them you mean business. Join a local hunting club, get a shotgun and start hunting pheasant or vermin.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Don't talk nonsense. They're hardly going to send Segal around.

Ive no idea what you’re talking about

sorry for your troubles op.an unpleasant situation.best to ignore them like they don’t even exist.that type of scum thrive on reactions and by not reacting you will starve them of the attention they need.
    By all means put up cameras and if anything happens you will get it as evidence but ignore them and get on with your life and let them see that they aren’t bothering you.

But they are bothering him/her. They are making their life a misery. Telling them to ignore that is not a lot of help.

I am not taking your neighbours side. They sound like awful scum and I sympathise. But surely you should have your garden secured. If it was the dogs wouldn't have gotten in in the first place. I wouldn't be keeping hens if they weren't properly secured or dogs , foxes etc can get to them. A good fence will keep your animals and children safe and help to keep those scumbags off your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Hey op... God sounds like a horrible situation...
    I don't envy you.....
    You could be a pest without them even knowing.
    They've got dogs, hmmm I wonder do they have licences?
    On a lighter note,
    Could sign them up for loads of junk mail, brochures, booklets, you have their address
    If you know their phone number, you could sign them up for call backs for different quotes, or stuff they wouldn't have a clue...

Gravelly wrote: »
    But they are bothering him/her. They are making their life a misery. Telling them to ignore that is not a lot of help.

Not a lot of help?fair enough.
    Go all rambo so op.as the other posters have advised start fires,kill dog,involve the local paramilitary,damage cars,don’t leave a man standing. The local guards and judges love that kind of thing.best of luck with it.
    As for the hens it’s your neighbors responsibility to keep his dog secure and on his own property but as the owner of the hens it’s your responsibility to keep them secure and safe from predators.

Not a lot of help?fair enough.
    Go all rambo so op.as the other posters have advised start fires,kill dog,involve the local paramilitary,damage cars,don’t leave a man standing. The local guards and judges love that kind of thing.best of luck with it.
    As for the hens it’s your neighbors responsibility to keep his dog secure and on his own property but as the owner of the hens it’s your responsibility to keep them secure and safe from predators.

You’re not very good at the oul advice thing, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Sorry to hear that Crea. I'm guessing they come under the description of live and die in the same town and resent everyone else for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

ID say op after a while the incidents will die down because they will get bored with it and move on to something or someone else, the only way they wont stop is how you react to it, the more they see how this is making your life hell the longer it will take,
    i know how hard it will be to put a brave face on it, but its your the reaction that keeps this type people motivated.
    but still take keep records and set up a camera.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    ID say op after a while the incidents will die down because they will get bored with it and move on to something or someone else, the only way they wont stop is how you react to it, the more they see how this is making your life hell the longer it will take,
    i know how hard it will be to put a brave face on it, but its your the reaction that keeps this type people motivated.
    but still take keep records and set up a camera.

I said the same thing scoop.according to old gravelly there though it wasn’t helpful and they need to call in the provos.i wasn’t good at the oul advice either according to master gravelly either.ah well.everydays a school day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Aunt of mine in Dublin had similar years ago. Quiet little working class cul de sac...was ideal for a few years until scum from hell moved in. Ruined life for all the decent folk.
    Even remember paint was deliberately spilled on their car but bless them they told us all it was spilled accidently by themselves at the time. Must have been a living nightmare at the time. Their solution? Move, they just had to. Took a small hit on the house and moved to an infinitely better place. Was around the mid 90s before things had gotten too crazy.
    Only heard the truth after they'd moved. Would explore this if at all possible.

Advertisement