Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'God hates me' family devastated as church makes changes to first communion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

What ever it was, it was 45 minutes toooooo long. :)

that's what Jesus said too

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

or her mother's attitude to things....id say shes a treat to deal with at school/community functions

We were the same here last year when similar was announced.
    It was a bunch of parents saying you'll have a terrible day, it won't be the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's sorted. Parents were informed today that a particular Sunday mass will be allocated to each school. Which will probably mean that the rest of the parish won't go to those masses.

It's sorted. Parents were informed today that a particular Sunday mass will be allocated to each school. Which will probably mean that the rest of the parish won't go to those masses.

I hope they'll be okay with locals at their communion if some do show up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

By "they" so you mean the regular mass go-ers? Realistically, I'm sure many will choose another mass time, if there is one, as the churches would be crammed.

• Advertisement

By "they" so you mean the regular mass go-ers? Realistically, I'm sure many will choose another mass time, if there is one, as the churches would be crammed.

In our area a lot of the locals still went in their normal clothes and some weren't even aware.
    It annoyed some parents because there was regular people not dressed up in the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

In our area a lot of the locals still went in their normal clothes and some weren't even aware.
    It annoyed some parents because there was regular people not dressed up in the video.

The horror, regular mass goers ruining the childrens first time in church.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Good idea, this might put to bed the obscene one - upmanship this nonsense usually brings about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

The horror, regular mass goers ruining the childrens first time in church.

..and last till the next party, I mean confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

KevinCavan wrote: »
    I’d love to know what people spend on these mini-weddings, with bouncy castles, caterers and ice-cream vans being ordered for them.

You cant put a price on it. Its there big day, and only happens once in their lives.
    It is up to parents to pull out all the stops without scrimping.
    It's not a "big day". It's a religious sacrament that the children are too young to fully grasp the significance of and their parents don't give a sh1t about. So why the need for a "big day"? The vast majority of those children won't see an inside of a church again until they make their confirmation. And after that only for weddings, christenings and funerals.

It's rank hypocrisy and BS of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its interesting that everyone has dropped the 'first' from First Communion. Its like a tacit acceptance that there will not be a second or a third or indeed any more. This is it, your one and only communion with god, of course its a special bouncy castle occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It's not a "big day". It's a confirmation.

Of course is a Big Day. All sacraments are. The bigger the celebration and feast, the better. 't'as always been thus. Church feast days are the biggest in the calander. Promoted by the Church. They can justtake that away and demote the importance of the first comm.

Of course is a Big Day. All sacraments are. The bigger the celebration and feast, the better. 't'as always been thus. Church feast days are the biggest in the calander. Promoted by the Church. They can justtake that away and demote the importance of the first comm.

Communion day also known as "extremely large bouncy castle/obstacle course day".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The powerful Bouncy Castle lobby will be up in arms.

The powerful Bouncy Castle lobby will be up in arms.

The priest caved in, they got to him....

It's a big day to practicing Catholics. Most of these people are not, which was my point.

It's a big day to practicing Catholics. Most of these people are not, which was my point.

Also, you have mis quoted me.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The priest caved in, they got to him....
    Not really, it's still going to be as part of Sunday Mass, but each school has a particular date.

God loves his flock equally, including the lost heathens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This bull**** needed a kibosh put on it for a long time now. Pity the priest hadn't more of a backbone to stick to it.

• Advertisement

Wonder if the Indo checked the FB of the lady kicking up the most fuss??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Wonder if the Indo checked the FB of the lady kicking up the most fuss??

I’d say they likely had their homework done alright. Their paper edition caught my eye this evening and I have to admit the photograph on the front page was a master stroke in trolling. It’s exploitation of the child and indeed the family in question IMO, but it’s purposely provocative.

I’d say they likely had their homework done alright. Their paper edition caught my eye this evening and I have to admit the photograph on the front page was a master stroke in trolling. It’s exploitation of the child and indeed the family in question IMO, but it’s purposely provocative.

The child was exploited, the mother was the one that carried out the exploitation.

The child was exploited, the mother was the one that carried out the exploitation.

The Independent knows exactly the kind of attention they could generate with the story, and generating attention generates revenue for them. That’s their bottom line, they couldn’t give two figs for the consequences for the families in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Had a look at her Facebook, she’s anti-church and has called for it to be disbanded on several occasions, yet wants a proper church communion?!

Permanently offended mouth breather.

The Modern Secularist at their finest. Loves telling their friends and anyone who will listen to them that they don't believe and they don't go to Church, only to turn around and have a temper tantrum when the Church won't bend over to accommodate them.

The Independent knows exactly the kind of attention they could generate with the story, and generating attention generates revenue for them. That’s their bottom line, they couldn’t give two figs for the consequences for the families in question.

That's the mum in the background with the smirk on her face. She was the one who contacted the Indo. Any consequences are entirely her fault . Pity the priest caved in to the nonsense of hypocrites.
    Anyway I hope she is happy with the stupidity she has caused herself and family.

All sounds sensible to me.

Being a Catholic from another country, I always found the carry on here very strange. Made into a massive deal by people who don't even attend church, and the kids seem to be roped into the whole charade by the lure of big wads of cash and a shopping spree at the local centre.

That's the mum in the background with the smirk on her face. She was the one who contacted the Indo. Any consequences are entirely her fault . Pity the priest caved in to the nonsense of hypocrites.

The general public generally aren’t media savvy as journalists and photographers who make their living at evoking reactions from the general public, that’s why the Independent has become nothing more than a tabloid rag. As for the priest, well it’s certainly a turnaround from times past when the Clergy held all the power and ordinary people had little power to effect change within the Church.

Errm, wants priests and religion out of schools, protested the Pope's visit, hardly good homework.

"Oh yes it so beyond time to remove church from our schools It’s not acceptable is this day and age to have a PP chair if BOM "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

God hates me.

Go away to Fcuk.

Advertisement