Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'God hates me' family devastated as church makes changes to first communion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Already a thread on it here OP -

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057914360/1/#post108182581

The part I find more concerning about that article tbh is this bit -

"My son Cathal lost his hair from alopecia last year and just the other day I heard my daughter say: 'God hates me and Cathal. He took his hair and now I can't even make my communion with my class'.
    "To hear her say this was very heartbreaking and it just goes to show how much it's affecting her."

That’s just odd.

A budding Politician on their hands there... 1 kid down one to go on HC, wouldn't be unhappy with that solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

indioblack wrote: »
    Be fair. Religious ceremonies cost money.
    Nothing like a bouncy castle to get you into heaven.

A neighbour had bouncy castle for his 40th birthday. They are fairly common for kids birthday parties around where we are anyway. Frankly it would be cheaper that party in one of the kids entertainment places but mine are unfortunately winter kids.

Kids are expensive and the offensive bouncy castle is the least expensive bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The article in the OP is like something from Waterford Whispers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

victor8600 wrote: »
    Exactly. Adam and Eve had sinned, so now all people are paying the price.

You forgot the whole bit about Jesus, he’s kinda a big deal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

victor8600 wrote: »
    Exactly. Adam and Eve had sinned, so now all people are paying the price.

Communion and Confirmation were invented to soften the blow by allowing kids to recoup some of the price they've paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yes indeed, child abuse I would say to have the kid so brainwashed that she believes there is a man in the sky personally picking on her.
    Who has her believing this tripe ?
    That would be the RCC. You know, the organisation whose entire claim for moral authority is that some dead guy is watching you 24 hours a day, judging what you do, and will punish you or reward you accordingly.

kylith wrote: »
    That would be the RCC. You know, the organisation whose entire claim for moral authority is that some dead guy is watching you 24 hours a day, judging what you do, and will punish you or reward you accordingly.
    I think it's just karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The article in the independent is bad enough but the print edition has a picture of the kid on the front cover with her hands clasped together, as if in prayer, trying to look holy and angelic. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

it has nothing to do with religion anymore as with conformation +christmas just about a big show and the kids only see the money end of it , greatest respect to any family that bring their children to mass every week they know the meaning of these occasions but an awful lot don't show their faces in church for the rest of the year, would make you sick to see the flash cars collecting the kids , this is a good call at last, what are they worried about now no one will see their kids in their flash suits +dress's? Ahh what a pity.

kylith wrote: »

In fairness, it’s far more likely the mother has more of an influence over her child’s perception and lack of perspective, than the RCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Oh pity about her. This is a failure in parenting that allows a child to be like this and allows it to go to the national press.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Already a thread on it here OP -

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057914360/1/#post108182581

The part I find more concerning about that article tbh is this bit -

"My son Cathal lost his hair from alopecia last year and just the other day I heard my daughter say: 'God hates me and Cathal. He took his hair and now I can't even make my communion with my class'.
    "To hear her say this was very heartbreaking and it just goes to show how much it's affecting her."

That’s just odd.

How about their mother comforts the daughter and gives her reassurance that sky man isn't angry at her instead of dragging her to the press for a good sob? Unbelievable.

LirW wrote: »
    How about their mother comforts the daughter and gives her reassurance that sky man isn't angry at her instead of dragging her to the press for a good sob? Unbelievable.

I’m genuinely hoping that’s exactly what she did do rather than allow her children to continue to believe that about themselves, instead of perpetuating it and validating it through the medium of the mainstream media for her own gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It really is a case of somebody not caring about religion and more bothered about the party. Not to talk to the child and explaining that God doesn't work on a personal level.
    The very basics are you pray to God for strength to get you trough not to petition for your own wants or desires.
    Many people claiming to be Catholic really don't know what they signed up for and are using it as a cover for superstition and lucky charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

meeeeh wrote: »
    I find the outrage a bit ridiculous but why are people so obsessed with hypocrisy? We are all hypocritical, at least those of us who function in real world. What's the problem?
    Ah you know full well what the problem is. ;)

Yes, it is human nature to be a bit hypocritical at times but there is a scale. Being anti church, yet then going to the paper to whinge over no big event for first communion, and using the little girl and the idea of god "hating" her to add another level of tackiness to the story, is utterly obnoxious.

A lot of atheist people in Ireland have to send their child to a Catholic school because they have no other option in terms of schooling, so I can understand them marking the event for the kid's sake. But I can't understand a big event at huge expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

"I heard my daughter say: 'God hates me and Cathal. He took his hair and now I can't even make my communion with my class'.

No woman, IF the child did actually say this, this is the time a mother sits the child down and explains some home truths.
    In the real world, sometimes you don't get your way, sometimes you are disappointed and sometimes some really ****ty things happen.

The skill to a happy life is to be able to change what you can and deal with the rest, dust yourself off and have another go.
    Getting in a huff and being a victim is not the road to happiness, contentment or inner strength.

Now go and slap Cathal's head like a bongo, that'll cheer you up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

No woman, IF the child did actually say this, this is the time a mother sits the child down and explains some home truths.
    In the real world, sometimes you don't get your way, sometimes you are disappointed and sometimes some really ****ty things happen.

The skill to a happy life is to be able to change what you can and deal with the rest, dust yourself off and have another go.
    Getting in a huff and being a victim is not the road to happiness, contentment or inner strength.

Now go and slap Cathal's head like a bongo, that'll cheer you up.

Exactly what the mother did with me.

That last line is gold btw, kudos!

Ah you know full well what the problem is. ;)

Yes, it is human nature to be a bit hypocritical at times but there is a scale. Being anti church, yet then going to the paper to whinge over no big event for first communion, and using the little girl and the idea of god "hating" her to add another level of tackiness to the story, is utterly obnoxious.

I wasn't talking about the idiot in op.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

LirW wrote: »

She could be particularly nuts and think that god does hate her children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just had a look at the Facebook campaign. The Priest has backed down.

The gas thing is if you scroll down her page a little ways she was advertising her attendance at a Papal visit protest a few weeks back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

This idiot wants communion for all yet protested against the popes visit and also has a Facebook status during the summer saying to remove the church from schools. You can't make this **** up.

This idiot wants communion for all yet protested against the popes visit and also has a Facebook status during the summer saying to remove the church from schools. You can't make this **** up.

The most offensive for me is actually that they are all whinging about the princess/mini wedding dresses. If our school scrapped those it would be actually a relief for me. I can't be the only one who finds them a bit creepy. And could the ****ing veil be banned for weddings too while we are at it.

I actually think you can be critical about religion in schools and pope's visit and be a good catholic because those are societal issues but don't go on about the dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Had a look at her Facebook, she’s anti-church and has called for it to be disbanded on several occasions, yet wants a proper church communion?!

Permanently offended mouth breather.

AKA media darlings of the clickbait age.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

the indo has gone full tabloid with it, with the kid sitting with her hands praying, while mom looks on.

i used to like the indo, but this image really annoyed me along with the story.

as for religion, i like a little bit, not too much, we are stuck with a priest who doesn't have very good English to say the least, and it makes it impossible to listen to him.

and he did a mass on good Friday that clocked in at a good solid 90 minutes. that finished me with mass for a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

The article in the independent is bad enough but the print edition has a picture of the kid on the front cover with her hands clasped together, as if in prayer, trying to look holy and angelic. Ridiculous.

exactly. what a fupping piece of tabloid crap to put on it. i saw it, and it put me off my lunch and the indo....

the indo has gone full tabloid with it, with the kid sitting with her hands praying, while mom looks on.

as for religion, i like a little bit, not too much, we are stuck with a priest who doesn't have very good English to say the least, and it makes it impossible to listen to him.

and he did a mass on good Friday that clocked in at a good solid 90 minutes. that finished me with mass for a while....

Only 90 minutes? was he in a hurry to meet Clare Grogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There is no Mass celebrated on Good Friday.

It must have been a GF Liturgy and Stations of the Cross you attended. That can drag on a bit alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I found her Facebook page. I notice one of her old profile pictures is a picture of her kids with the slogan 'I voted yes' on it. Make of that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Finally Ireland is starting to acknowledge it's hypocrisy and hypocrites.

• Advertisement

I found her Facebook page. I notice one of her old profile pictures is a picture of her kids with the slogan 'I voted yes' on it. Make of that what you will.

Not sure what you can really make of that. Mary McAleese is as devout a catholic as you will find and she voted yes as well.

Advertisement