Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'God hates me' family devastated as church makes changes to first communion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Not sure what you can really make of that. Mary McAleese is as devout a catholic as you will find and she voted yes as well.

Agreed, I'm Catholic and go to Mass and I voted Yes, to the 8th repeal and also in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

There is no Mass celebrated on Good Friday.

It must have been a GF Liturgy and Stations of the Cross you attended. That can drag on a bit alright.

What ever it was, it was 45 minutes toooooo long. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I found her Facebook page. I notice one of her old profile pictures is a picture of her kids with the slogan 'I voted yes' on it. Make of that what you will.

Involving children in politics is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,157 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It must have been a GF Liturgy and Stations of the Cross you attended. That can drag on a bit alright.

Wow, even the catholic church has gone gluten free now!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

What ever it was, it was 45 minutes toooooo long. :)

I remember being at a novena service one night when I was about seven or 8.

I sh1t you not it was over 3 hours long. It was conducted primarily by an accent old cleric, the canon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Not sure what you can really make of that. Mary McAleese is as devout a catholic as you will find and she voted yes as well.

I wouldn't be putting such a slogan on a picture of my kids.

Also it suggests she uses her kids to make a point. It makes me think this "God Hates me" was her idea and is something the daughter never said.

I wouldn't be putting such a slogan on a picture of my kids.

Also it suggests she uses her kids to make a point. It makes me think this "God Hates me" was her idea and is something the daughter never said.

Would be inclined to agree with you.

It would be funny if the Church told them to fck off. :D:eek:

Not welcome here, now do one. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I remember being at a novena service one night when I was about seven or 8.

I sh1t you not it was over 3 hours long. It was conducted primarily by an accent old cleric, the canon.

My local church will be getting some Syro Malabar Catholic priests in the next few months and the priest said if you think my masses are long the services of their branch of Catholicism can go on for 4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I posted in the other thread Yesterday about similar happening in my town.
    It was hilarious.
    The hair salon will be closed.
    We have a bouncy castle booked were nearly the best excuses people were coming up with.
    She won't have her special day with all the regular people at mass.
    It's has ruined everything.
    It was all mainly done by a bunch of people who had no time for the Catholic church and were vocal about it online.
    The priests in area didn't cave on the matter and the day went on fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

SPDUB wrote: »
    My local church will be getting some Syro Malabar Catholic priests in the next few months and the priest said if you think my masses are long the services of their branch of Catholicism can go on for 4 hours

that's hardly going to help attendance is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

wexie wrote: »
    that's hardly going to help attendance is it?

The place will be packed with nuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,157 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Already a thread on it here OP -

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057914360/1/#post108182581

The part I find more concerning about that article tbh is this bit -

"My son Cathal lost his hair from alopecia last year and just the other day I heard my daughter say: 'God hates me and Cathal. He took his hair and now I can't even make my communion with my class'.
    "To hear her say this was very heartbreaking and it just goes to show how much it's affecting her."

That’s just odd.

I don't find that odd tbh, my brother screamed all over the house that god hated him once when he slipped and cut his ear off the cooker and broke his roller skate.

He soon got over it when he got a clip around the other earhole. :D

I suppose what's odd about it is that her mother is telling a national newspaper about it.

This story is a load of horse****e, I agree. But I hate the current obsession everyone has with running off to check someones Facebook page so they can rip them apart.

Really? Get a life folks.

BBFAN wrote: »
    This story is a load of horse****e, I agree. But I hate the current obsession everyone has with running off to check someones Facebook page so they can rip them apart.

Years ago people would have rang a relative o Carlow to know what the full story way.
    Now they've it all posted in public and they are happy with the media attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Years ago people would have rang a relative o Carlow to know what the full story way.
    Now they've it all posted in public and they are happy with the media attention.

What? Why would you even ring a relative to ask what the full story is??

It's a non story??

What? Why would you even ring a relative to ask what the full story is??

It's a non story??

That's what people would have done years ago to get news when there was no social media.
    People have always liked to get gossip in some way. People always know you only real hear one side of the story when somebody rings a radio station with their sob story.
    I saw one of these articles in the news yesterday and the people involved were even commenting under stuff saying go to my Facebook page and sign the petition and find out about the protest.
    I didn't do it but acvording to users here going by they're previous post history doesn't make sense about them wanting tradation.
    I never said it was a big story. I find it slightly interesting because similar happened in my town last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The Catholic church could also do it like in other countries and bring a church tax in. If you're Catholic you have to pay a percentage of your annual income to the church and they can hound you for it.
    Lots of kids back home receive communion and confirmation and leave the church once they're 18 and the first letter flies in looking for money (which you have to pay).

Needless to say that the church isn't doing so well number-wise in these countries.

I bet for many of the whingers god and the church would suddenly be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Had a look at her Facebook, she’s anti-church and has called for it to be disbanded on several occasions, yet wants a proper church communion?!

Permanently offended mouth breather.

Looks like she got what she wished for then, I was always shocked with all the hype around these events, had 3 of my own, kept it low key, just asked the grandparents to lunch after and took the children home, did not join in with new outfit for mother and father as well as kids, and the first holy communion dresses were used by friends children before I used them on mine, that left just shoes, bag, socks and prayer book and beads to buy, happy days,

And my kids are doing very well for themselves, the money I would have wasted on dresses and so on was saved, and when college and first car were needed, I had something to get them started, then is when it is needed,
    No need for big days, or expensive Christmas Presents, here is where I would do the savings, while I would see others buying tablets, and computers for theirs, I had one computer in house, it did the lot of us, and I am here still using it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TheDavester

i hate when morons run off to papers/twitter to "voice" their outrage over trivial things

LirW wrote: »
    The Catholic church could also do it like in other countries and bring a church tax in. If you're Catholic you have to pay a percentage of your annual income to the church and they can hound you for it.
    Lots of kids back home receive communion and confirmation and leave the church once they're 18 and the first letter flies in looking for money (which you have to pay).

Needless to say that the church isn't doing so well number-wise in these countries.

I bet for many of the whingers god and the church would suddenly be crap.

Paying a tithe.

It's still thing in some of the Protestant Churches.

I wonder what happens to those who don't pay. Do they break your legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Paying a tithe.

It’s done in far more than just the Protestant Churches, the Catholic Church in Germany for example are the only Church which actually uses the money. As far as I’m aware, all that happens with those people who haven’t paid is that they don’t get to avail of the services provided by the Church they aren’t paying taxes to, or that the tax isn’t collected by the State for a few, and then given to the Church. It’s even more complicated in Sweden though, and I couldn’t see it being implemented here easily. I’d be all for it of course, but the State would still have to provide much of the funding for services run by religious orders such as health and education, as it does in other countries, even in countries with the Church tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Paying a tithe.

The church can get an order to get it automatically deducted from your pay if you don't pay.
    I'm aware that leaving the church isn't an option here and the church is probably also aware that a number of people would leave once they'd have to shell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

sentient_6 wrote: »
    How does this scutter get past an editor? Is is the Independent even bothering anymore?

it's on the front page of the print edition...

goose2005 wrote: »
    it's on the front page of the print edition...

they must've given Vogue and Amy Huberman a day off

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

maybe god does hate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Maybe the stress of the communion last year triggered the alopecia

Maybe the stress of the communion last year triggered the alopecia

or her mother's attitude to things....id say shes a treat to deal with at school/community functions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

LirW wrote: »
    The church can get an order to get it automatically deducted from your pay if you don't pay.
    I'm aware that leaving the church isn't an option here and the church is probably also aware that a number of people would leave once they'd have to shell out.

That 's what happens in Germany, Austria, Denmark etc. Catholics (and other religions) get it stopped from their wages

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax

Advertisement