Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are ye eatin' and drinkin' - The Eatening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A bowl of chicken curry and a bowl of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The first meal that wasn't home cooked since March 15th and the first Chinese takeaway in 4 months.

Sweet mother of God in Heaven we though we'd never see the day again

The wife got her favourite of Chicken in black bean sauce with fried rice and took it into the front room to watch the news, the young fella had his 4 in 1 of chicken, curry, chips and rice and he took that into his room (it was gone in less than 2 minutes) and I had the kitchen to myself listening to Gordon Lightfoot with my long awaited beef chop suey with fried rice, no onions and home made chips.

Red wine was involved and will continue to be involved for the remainder of the evening.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, what a wonderful world.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The first meal that wasn't home cooked since March 15th and the first Chinese takeaway in 4 months.

Sweet mother of God in Heaven we though we'd never see the day again

The wife got her favourite of Chicken in black bean sauce with fried rice and took it into the front room to watch the news, the young fella had his 4 in 1 of chicken, curry, chips and rice and he took that into his room (it was gone in less than 2 minutes) and I had the kitchen to myself listening to Gordon Lightfoot with my long awaited beef chop suey with fried rice, no onions and home made chips.

Red wine was involved and will continue to be involved for the remainder of the evening.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, what a wonderful world.

You're Chinese Takeaway looks like a good shop. That has it all goin on RG, but I'd keep the onions in.:D Having a beer at the mo after working on absolutely ancient crap in my production space all day. My dinner tonight is a sirloin steak (I feckin love steak) mash, peas, croquettes and gravy. It's a ME meal.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I am currently eating an enormous breakfast bap that I picked up from a caf on my way into work. 2 sausages, two rashers, and a piece each of black and white pudding, on a soft bap with butter and ketchup. And made with love for the small price of 4.95. Delish!

Have my hot coffee here as well, for the morning that's in it.

For the girls- a rather ordinary Goodfellas Pizza, garlic bread and steak house fries. They love it on a Friday for some reason. I've no interest in it at all. For moi, I went for the ultimate 80s classic of chicken and chips in a basket. Got some nice thighs and drum sticks into the air fryer. While they rested I did the chips. Supervalu chunky chips. BBQ and Garlic sauce dips too. I must admit it was a blast from the past and delicious as well.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Vegetable Biryani , veg with biryani rice with a chickpea and lentil curry .
    Very tasty and filling tbh , Lidls finest :D

ETA, late night shopping so it was heated up while shopping was put away !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Grandeeod wrote: »
    For moi, I went for the ultimate 80s classic of chicken and chips in a basket. Got some nice thighs and drum sticks into the air fryer. While they rested I did the chips. Supervalu chunky chips. BBQ and Garlic sauce dips too. I must admit it was a blast from the past and delicious as well.:D

Jaysus I'd ate that now, we'd a nice healthy meat and two veg dinner but yours sounds much more thempting, especially after 3 cans of Heineken :D

GoneHome wrote: »
    Jaysus I'd ate that now, we'd a nice healthy meat and two veg dinner but yours sounds much more thempting, especially after 3 cans of Heineken :D

Twas meat and one Veg! With dips.:D Seriously though, it was only planned at lunchtime today. Just fancied it over a few cans for a change. I remember it being served in pubs for free.:eek:

I remember it being served in pubs for free.:eek:

So do I :D I wonder will it go back to that in the new regime Jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Fry up here for dinner. Sausages, rashers, mushrooms, fried egg and fried bread. Delicious plate of food and even a couple of sausages left for a sambo when I finish my few beers!

Nice surprise there earlier today when a friend called with a few dozen crab claws fresh out of the sea, he was duly given the lamb chops I was thawing out for this evening and there was a big change in the planned bill of fare. Boiled them for 12 minutes in salt water, straight into ice and water, then out to the patio where they were hammered and shelled before being put in fridge.

Did a stir fry of peppers, red onion with lots of garlic and ginger, added oyster and spring onion sauce then half the crab meat just to warm it up. Served with fried rice and prawn crackers, happy household.

Having a few mini Tuc with oak smoked and ordinary cheddar, a few red grapes and a glass of red wine.

It's a tough old life.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Crab claws sound lovely, love crab.

Chinese here, house special in black pepper sauce with extra chillies. Boiled rice, chips and chicken balls with it. Food coma and a few beers on the couch upcoming.

Enjoying a post dinner glass of vino and a Reese's peanut butter cup

We're just after a lovely toasted ham, cheese, tomato and onion sandwich, with a lovely mug of tay.

I made a Cottage Pie today. Feck all else to do. :D The girls had that for dinner with extra beef gravy and potato crouquettes. (actually Mrs G. had beans on the side too.) Loads more left for tomorrow. I took a homemade chicken curry out of the freezer earlier. Gonna reheat it and splash it over some chunky chips later. Right now it's a beer and Flubber on Disney+.

I was able to go the distance today, because breakfast at 10.30am was two sausages, three rashers, two waffles, beans, toast and OJ. A decent set up, so skipped any kind of lunch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I made a Cottage Pie today. Feck all else to do. :D The girls had that for dinner with extra beef gravy and potato crouquettes. (actually Mrs G. had beans on the side too.) Loads more left for tomorrow. I took a homemade chicken curry out of the freezer earlier. Gonna reheat it and splash it over some chunky chips later. Right now it's a beer and Flubber on Disney+.

Sounds class!! See your homemade meals- what are they like out of the freezer or what do you store them in? Considering starting to do a bulk cook on a Sunday for the week ahead instead of buying those “fit/healthy” meals at €5 a go typically for lunches for the week and do them myself.

Was always skeptical of whether a chicken curry / shepherds pie type frozen would taste nice defrosted. Store it in lunchbox and just defrost night before or straight into oven? I’ve no idea :D:D I’ve only started buying chicken fillets in bulk and forget to separate them. So when I only want 2 I’ve to defrost all 4 lumped together in the pack

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

^ I just use those resealable freezer bags.
    I would freeze the sauce but use fresh chicken.

I'm sure freezing the chicken in the sauce would be fine though.

I would never put frozen sauce in the oven.
    I put the frozen ziplock bag into gently simmering water. Careful that the contents don't leak. Or defrost in microwave

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Sounds class!! See your homemade meals- what are they like out of the freezer or what do you store them in? Considering starting to do a bulk cook on a Sunday for the week ahead instead of buying those “fit/healthy” meals at €5 a go typically for lunches for the week and do them myself.

Was always skeptical of whether a chicken curry / shepherds pie type frozen would taste nice defrosted. Store it in lunchbox and just defrost night before or straight into oven? I’ve no idea :D:D I’ve only started buying chicken fillets in bulk and forget to separate them. So when I only want 2 I’ve to defrost all 4 lumped together in the pack

Shepards Pie/Cottage Pie doesn't freeze well IMHO. I've done it before, but it tends to be dry and even gravy won't save it. Now as for curry, there's absolutely no problem with freezing it once you have plenty of sauce in the dish. I put it in the plastic containers you would get from a takeaway. You can buy them in Dealz and similar places. I usually defrost before heating, but you can (and I have done it) cook in the microwave from frozen for around 15 minutes. Most currries you get from a pub/hotel bar menu are done that way. FACT.:D

As for rice, if you are looking for a quick fix, Iceland do a large bag of frozen rice pouches. 3 mins in the microwave and tastes fab.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Class!! Thank you. Great thread that people are actually nice to each other on, not too many of them on here!! :D

I find freezing shepherd's pie cottage pie works well for me, but the key as hinted to above is to make loads of sauce/gravy so it can't dry out, put plenty of milk and butter in the mash and then preferably reheat in the oven - but the microwave will do in a pinch, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Chocolate fudge cake :)

Roast chicken with roasted potatoes, turnip cabbage and peas. Gravy, stuffing and Yorkshire puddings to accompany. Handed to me by my mother, makes it all the better :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The Chef™ has made lasagne... Happy days :)

VW 1 wrote: »
    Roast chicken with roasted potatoes, turnip cabbage and peas. Gravy, stuffing and Yorkshire puddings to accompany. Handed to me by my mother, makes it all the better :D

Sounds great VW and always better handed up. I'm having my portion of Cottage pie this evening. Peas, gravy and croquettes too. But first a cold beer. I prefer to eat later in the evening. I'm not exactly starving as today's unexpected eatathon was a toasted rasher sandwich for an early breakie and then a cheese burger and chips for lunch. Nibbled on some Cadbury's fruit and nut bar afterwards. A once in a while thing for me. Happy out.

Hungry man dinner this evening after a hard day, a few hours working and a few hours on the local river trying in vain to catch a wild Atlantic salmon.

Homemade cheeseburger, chips, deep fried skins, garlic mayonnaise and coleslaw with beans and salad accompanied by an ice cold bottle of Perlenbacher Pils.

A large vodka and cranberry juice with crushed ice for dessert.

Take me now Lord.

Hungry man dinner this evening after a hard day, a few hours working and a few hours on the local river trying in vain to catch a wild Atlantic salmon.

Homemade cheeseburger, chips, deep fried skins, garlic mayonnaise and coleslaw with beans and salad accompanied by an ice cold bottle of Perlenbacher Pils.

A large vodka and cranberry juice with crushed ice for dessert.

Take me now Lord.

Ah the hungry man dinner! I had an easy bacon toastie this morning with OJ. Then packed the rucksack with water and headed out on a hike. Missed it, as at times my normal/previous work sometimes feels like a lot of hiking. Anyway, stopped off at a deli to grab a ham/cheese salad sandwich. A long way into the hike I sat down and devoured the sandwich and some water. It was so feckin lovely outdoors in the wild and massive sunshine.

Suppin a few bottles of beer before my hungry man dinner.

Went a bit posh this evening, crispy coated crab and potato cakes with dill, capers, onion (tiny bit), lemon juice and zest.

Flat mushrooms stuffed with finely cut peppers, garlic and topped with garlic butter, breadcrumbs and cheese.

Some mixed veg sprinkled with basil on the side, everything was slowly oven roasted.

Started off at the table with a pint glass of Bulmers with ice but skulled that on sight of the plate and changed over to a nice glass of red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Rib steak with bbq sauce and chips :)

Advertisement