Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Because you didn't go far enough. Metallica should play fibbers and there should be a 3 hour entrance exam, and a survival of the fittest style Boot Camp to ensure only the most elite circle pit commandos are admitted.

Sounds like a bit of crack

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The 'Nothing Else Matter Brigade' as you call them have just as much right to go to a gig as anyone. Do you want people to take a quiz on their Metallica knowledge before they're allowed buy a ticket?

But as you said, it's just your two cents so can be quickly put aside and forgotten.
    Because you didn't go far enough. Metallica should play fibbers and there should be a 3 hour entrance exam, and a survival of the fittest style Boot Camp to ensure only the most elite circle pit commandos are admitted.

I've 2 Metallica tattoos so can I consider myself exempt from any test? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If one of them says "nothing else matters" you're not allowed even try......

Maybe we should rebuild the top hat and you only get in if you physically help with the job.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If one of them says "nothing else matters" you're not allowed even try......

Maybe we should rebuild the top hat and you only get in if you physically help with the job.

One of them is the statue from and justice for all on my arm and the other is the ninja star logo on my back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

klose wrote: »
    What would be your preferred surprise tracks? I do have a soft spot for kill em all, so anything off that is gravy (seek and destroy is a given)
    I'm easy really! Couple tracks off Justice maybe like it's namesake, Frayed or Eye of the Beholder to something like Of Wolf & Man or King Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Degag wrote: »
    I'm easy really! Couple tracks off Justice maybe like it's namesake, Frayed or Eye of the Beholder to something like Of Wolf & Man or King Nothing.

They played all of Puppets in 06 didnt they? Is Justice as lauded as Puppets (or close?) that it has enough to satisfy a stadium crowd in its entirety at some stage? I know I'd be more than content with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Well, you'll get 10 seconds of Frayed at the end of ES.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They played all of Puppets in 06 didnt they? Is Justice as lauded as Puppets (or close?) that it has enough to satisfy a stadium crowd in its entirety at some stage? I know I'd be more than content with it!

Not a hope they'd do Justice in it's entirety in a stadium,songs are too long,they'd lose half the crowd 20 minutes in. Could only see it in a club gig for hardcore fans. The band are on record as saying they found the songs a pain to play regularly on the justice tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

lord lucan wrote: »
    Not a hope they'd do Justice in it's entirety in a stadium,songs are too long,they'd lose half the crowd 20 minutes in. Could only see it in a club gig for hardcore fans. The band are on record as saying they found the songs a pain to play regularly on the justice tour.

Ah yeah they did actually, I suppose hence the Justice medley in 92/93. Hopefully a few songs get separate airings at least anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭klose

King nothing kicks ass alright, one blackened and harvester of sorrow are probably their go to tracks of justice and they seem to get played regularly enough (one always getting played)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A lulu tatoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

King nothing kicks ass alright, one blackened and harvester of sorrow are probably their go to tracks of justice and they seem to get played regularly enough (one always getting played)

Outlaw torn and bleeding me are great live tunes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Yeah they played King Nothing here before. Kinda hoping they change from opening up with hardwire but Im not expecting it.

At the gig I was at least year James asked him many people were at their first Metallica show and at least half the place had their hands up. That they're still pulling in new people at this stage is a positive thing; talk of people not deserving to see them is nonsense. That's the kinda stuff I would have been thinking as a teenager. If people want to make a contribution to get a better seat then let 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was looking at Metallica's last stadium tour in the states they were doing 50k on average. I persume mcd would be happy with 60k anything else is a bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

rob316 wrote: »
    I was looking at Metallica's last stadium tour in the states they were doing 50k on average. I persume mcd would be happy with 60k anything else is a bonus

60k would be perfectly comfortably at Slane, I think thats what was at the Foo Fighters in 2015

A lulu tatoo?

Lulu me hole :D Justice statue and ninja star logo.
    Yeah they played King Nothing here before. Kinda hoping they change from opening up with hardwire but Im not expecting it.

At the gig I was at least year James asked him many people were at their first Metallica show and at least half the place had their hands up. That they're still pulling in new people at this stage is a positive thing; talk of people not deserving to see them is nonsense. That's the kinda stuff I would have been thinking as a teenager. If people want to make a contribution to get a better seat then let 'em.

I see what you did there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I've been listening to Ghost on Spotify a bit since the announcement. I must admit, I hadn't heard of them before. It's a very eighties synthy polished sound that doesn't really normally do it for me...but they're growing on me! I also checked out their Wikipedia page. They've got a great look :cool: I'd say they'll put on a brilliant show. I've also been listening to Bokassa who are also a new one on me. I like it a lot. Hopefully the rest of the support line-up will be as strong.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭colmufc

Who would like to see halestorm added to the support , there doing a European tour next month but could easily see them back next summer for download only the week after slane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

colmufc wrote: »
    Who would like to see halestorm added to the support , there doing a European tour next month but could easily see them back next summer for download only the week after slane

Yup, their show here this year was great!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

BMTH rumored for download aswell,
    wouldn't surprise me if they were added, not sure they're bog enough here to do their own outdoor, put them in slane would make sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Fade to Black, Ride the Lighting and Hero Of The Day would be songs id like to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

peter4918 wrote: »
    But, for a gig of that size, it may be a rubbish atmosphere if it turns out that alot of the audience don’t know most of the set list and are not getting into it.
    I'll play devils advocate here, because the guy is taking some slack, but this is a perfectly valid point.

I think everybody has the right to go and see a band. Of course I do. So does this guy, for that matter, so let's get off our soap boxes.

But it stands to objective reason that if you know all Metallica's tunes but arrive too late to make it down the front you probably could in all likelihood be in a part of the crowd where you're looking around in despair, willing everyone to sing along with you.

Slane's huge. It transcends the act and becomes a sort of event in its own right. I can't see the whole place having the same atmosphere of a Metallica gig at, say, the 3 Arena.

The only cats I really take offense with at gigs are the people who go up front to record the whole thing, and then get pissy when people bump off them because they're going a bit mental jumping up and down. The front is for that. Record to your hearts content, but hoof on down the back with that stuff. Don't be getting pissy when your phone knocks to the floor. I do feel that stage pits are the right of people who are there to party.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I can't see the whole place having the same atmosphere of a Metallica gig at, say, the 3 Arena.

Its the same in sport.
    Massive grounds don't , usually , have the same atmosphere as smaller grounds.
    From my experience White Hart Lane had a capacity of 36,000 and was a very noisy atmospheric ground, whereas Wembley with a capacity of 90,000 is more often than not - dead.

Of course there are exceptions, ie Croke Park on All Ireland semi Final/ Finals is probably the best atmosphere I have ever experienced, and then again , a Leinster semi final in Croke Park can be like a grave yard.
    Nearly all situations are different , occasion and attendance are the main factors. You are not going to get 60-80,000 screaming mad mental fans,

But 'So What' (see what I did :) ) Its Metallica and its Slane.
    Go and enjoy, or don't go !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

greenspurs wrote: »
    Go and enjoy, or don't go !!

That’s it. Enjoy it but if you’re the kind of person who gets annoyed because the person beside you doesn't know the words to Battery or seems more interested in chatting to their mates, Slane might not be for you. Because it’s a guarantee that those people will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

I used to be big into hard rock/metal but haven't been following the scene in a long time although I still love everything I used to love.

The best thing about this announcement is that I've discovered Ghost. Very good! Their presence on the bill will probably be enough to take me to Slane, great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It would be incredible to see Metallica and Ghost at Slane next year. Perhaps I'll get the opportunity to attend. Time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It would be incredible to see Metallica and Ghost at Slane next year. Perhaps I'll get the opportunity to attend. Time will tell I suppose.

Can't see it selling out, so you should have time to decide, should be a good gig though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Any indication of how sales are going? Know they could be put on sale again but tried for Gold Circle tickets a couple of days ago and they appear sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

44617841_10155932420505687_1085730993278550016_o.png?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=4648a134cde63c2a4f785d37ae17ef85&oe=5C8827A3

I wonder will we see 1 or 2 of those added to Slane ???. Slane of course places the weekend before this

Id add Slash and Trivium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Slash & Myles 100% won't be there as they are confirmed for the twin Rock /Am Ring/Im Park festivals in Germany same weekend as Slane.

Advertisement