Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Get a grip, the abuse players from the WEST got from people on social media was disgraceful citing Corofin players as the solution to all our problems, Corofin players wouldn't play for Galway when Kevin took over until they saw us win Connacht. Let today be a lesson to any future manager. Pick the best 15 and forget the politics and arrogance from north Galway

Lovely, straight into the infighting after a relatively decent display and optimism for the future. There's always a boogeyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Condenser wrote:
    Lovely, straight into the infighting after a relatively decent display and optimism for the future. There's always a boogeyman.

A bit rich ye did it before the match!

A bit rich ye did it before the match!

Ye? I thought we were from the same county?

I never criticise a players club when their performance was poor. The players that were mentioned after the last game by many here deserved to be singled out. It was their second disastrous performance in an important game in 2 months with the same failings. I don't think anyone cared where they were from. You are bring an west v north divide to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Rochford for Galway now??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

how did Ian burke make the team today? he has been shocking all year what has he scored from play in the 3 games?? nothing...Power kicked the ball over the sideline then messes up for the goal from the sidekick.. silke was bet to every ball the guy doesnt do his main job which is to defend it says everything that silke has more scored from play then burke

Think Burke really missed having Comer beside him this year. Comer usually attracts markers leaving more space for Burke to operate. This year they could just concentrate on Burke himself.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »

He'll definitely be in the mix as will the u20 management team.

Still haven't heard that Walsh has stepped down or anything so I wouldn't count any chickens yet. The county board would be reluctant to sack a 2 time all Ireland winner I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Condenser wrote: »

He'll definitely be in the mix as will the u20 management team.

Still haven't heard that Walsh has stepped down or anything so I wouldn't count any chickens yet. The county board would be reluctant to sack a 2 time all Ireland winner I think.

Walsh seems stubborn, i can't see him realising himself he can't deliver an all Ireland. I think the senior players would have to deliver that news to him, that's my feeling based on how he steadfastly absolves himself or the style of play of any blame.

Walsh seems stubborn, i can't see him realising himself he can't deliver an all Ireland. I think the senior players would have to deliver that news to him, that's my feeling based on how he steadfastly absolves himself or the style of play of any blame.

Reading his interview on the news would suggest the same. Won't listen to any crap from outside the camp. Wants the team to go out with a bang.

Newsflash Kevin. That happened in the Roscommon game. Hope this doesn't drag on into the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

There's no point moaning over who was picked and who wasn't. We don't know how lads are going in training. Ian Burke was an all star last year. I'm sure he'll have better days, as will all the lads, from both North and West Galway.

Hopefully a new manager and selectors and get lads back who were injured. If Corofin are involved in the all Ireland series they'll be back in February with the new layout of the club finals. Get a good league campaign and hopefully a better 2020 for Galway football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I honestly never understood how Ian Burke got an all star last year, but the award got him his guarantee on the starting team, he should have been dropped early on in this championship. Very poor in every game.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Ian Burke has scored 0 in 3 games he is not good enough cant win any ball. The allstar was because of corofin Comer and Walsh were more deserving for galway last year

Still annoyed that Danny Cummins never got a look in. Scoring record better than any from open play especially when a goal was needed and not a sniff.

Think that him and Conroy will pack it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

There'll all fair enough points. I'm not from Corofin. All I was saying is that we don't see how training is going. Could have been tearing it up in LoughGeorge. As I said, no point in bickering now. Just put 2019 behind us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

I won’t go to another Galway game of Walsh is manager . I say the players took it upon themselves to push on In second half . And whatever bit of love I had for mayo is Defo gone . They done Cooke in when they saw how well he was playing and they were beyond cynical in the second half . And there supporters around me were classless with there safe home and stick to the hurling comments and smug smiles . Having said all that that’s Probaly the minority like any county but there was certainly a lot of them around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

why would he leave the Donegal set up ?

why would he leave the Donegal set up ?

To be top dog again..... he is only an assistant coach

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Rockford could be the modern day O'Mahoney. He's learned alot from losing with Mayo and was shafted by them, he knows Galway football and would now be with a county that has a history of winning and not bottling finals when they get to them unlike Mayo who beat themselves every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

That defeat this evening will likely mark the end as Kevin Walsh as manager of Galway but whatever you say about him progress has been made in his 5 years with Galway.

To highlight that progress here is some of things that happened to Galway in the five years before Kevin Walsh arrived

No Connacht title only reached one final
    2014 Galway avoided relegation to Div 3 on a head to head result
    Got knocked out of Connacht twice (2010,2012) by Sligo
    Shipped a 17 point beating to Mayo in 2013

In the All Ireland series 2010 knocked out by Wexford at home 2011 v Meath in Navan, 2012 v Antrim, 2013 v Cork and 2014 v Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

That defeat this evening will likely mark the end as Kevin Walsh as manager of Galway but whatever you say about him progress has been made in his 5 years with Galway.

To highlight that progress here is some of things that happened to Galway in the five years before Kevin Walsh arrived

No Connacht title only reached one final
    2014 Galway avoided relegation to Div 3 on a head to head result
    Got knocked out of Connacht twice (2010,2012) by Sligo
    Shipped a 17 point beating to Mayo in 2013

In the All Ireland series 2010 knocked out by Wexford at home 2011 v Meath in Navan, 2012 v Antrim, 2013 v Cork and 2014 v Donegal.

And Kevin shipped heavy final beatings by Donegal, Tipp, Kerry and Dublin in that time also. Tonight was his narrowest season-ending defeat, and it was scarcely any better than the others. In truth, how he survived after the Tipp' defeat (debacle) was a joke, absolutely killed his reign that day.

Silke was the correct man to take the penalty, has taken them successfully before, just wasn't going to happen for him tonight. More later when I'm more rational.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I've great sympathy for Kevin Walsh post that interview.

Marvellous servant of Galway football both on field and as a manager.

He brought Galway football up from a very low ebb,more than likely has failed to maximise the potential of a very talented collection of footballers with his on field system.

However the tone of the interview intimates he has been the subject of some serious personal abuse which no volunteer of the GAA family deserves.

Well done to Maire Treasa Ni Cheallaigh for conducting the interview in such an empathetic fashion.

"Don't mind them"

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

spurshero wrote: »
    I won’t go to another Galway game of Walsh is manager . I say the players took it upon themselves to push on In second half . And whatever bit of love I had for mayo is Defo gone . They done Cooke in when they saw how well he was playing and they were beyond cynical in the second half . And there supporters around me were classless with there safe home and stick to the hurling comments and smug smiles . Having said all that that’s Probaly the minority like anyone county but there was certainly a lot of them around me.

The same abuse that was given Friday night in tuam yer all angels as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Maybe you need to try getting to one, most of those Galway lads were in their nappies the last time you lot won a semi.

Anyway, til next year...

Yeah and you’ll be back wearing nappies by the time Mayo ever win an AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

The same abuse that was given Friday night in tuam yer all angels as well

No doubt there’s bad Galway supporters . I was just suprised at the amount of mayo abuse . 3 of us were walking out with 2 Mins to go when them comments started . One thing to be a bad loser but to be a bad winner is a lot worse . Anyway I’m checking outta here for a while .

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Be interesting to see how Mayo go in a league format. They always play there best football in true knockout games without a safety net.

spurshero wrote:
    No doubt there’s bad Galway supporters . I was just suprised at the amount of mayo abuse . 3 of us were walking out with 2 Mins to go when them comments started . One thing to be a bad loser but to be a bad winner is a lot worse . Anyway I’m checking outta here for a while .

Let them off we all know how it will end for them. Next time Sam crosses the Shannon whenever it is we all know it will be with Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I'm on the border and Mayo people are as good and bad as Galway people. Including my Mother!

That said I was sitting in a bunch of the biggest most childish fools I ever came across yesterday. Grown men and they like spoilt children. Same as the few fools that hit up this thread crowing after a win. God help them but they'll never enjoy it if all that's driving them is spite and let them off.

Galway are out now and for better or worse I'll be shouting for the neighbours. For every one-eyed tool there are plenty of decent Mayo men and women.

I hope for a change next year. Fair play to Kevin, he did some great work arresting the great slide but I think we need some new ideas. To my eye some lads don't seem to believe in the system no more and I can't blame them. I'd like to see some of them used differently and see how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Interesting bite-back on here about Corofin. A serious change in tone!

I think an unfortunate negative atmosphere was somehow created from something very positive in Corofin this year. Galway's negative/disappointing play was combined with a clamouring from all over the country about how Corofin do it better and are the saviours of modern football. I feel an awful lot of clued-in Galway football supporters were well aware that club football is a different beast entirely, and were annoyed by the rumblings that Galway would do better in the inter-county championship by just naming the Corofin 15.

Last weekend put pay to that idea, but I hope it doesn't now lead to too much push-back the other way. There are some classy footballers from Corofin, and they can be a big part of the team going forwards, but they aren't the answer to all our problems. It's not the players' fault that casuals on Galway GAA facebook pages thought they were.

elefant wrote: »
    Interesting bite-back on here about Corofin. A serious change in tone!

I think an unfortunate atmosphere was somehow created from something very positive in Corofin this year. Galway's negative/disappointing play was combined with a clamouring from all over the country about how Corofin do it better and are the saviours of modern football. I feel an awful lot of clued-in Galway football supporters were well aware that club football is a different beast entirely, and were annoyed by the rumblings that Galway would do better in the inter-county championship by just naming the Corofin 15.

Last weekend put pay to that idea, but I hope it doesn't now lead to too much push-back the other way. There are some classy footballers from Corofin, and they can be a big part of the team going forwards, but they aren't the answer to all our problems. It's not the players' fault that casuals on Galway GAA facebook pages thought they were.

I didn't see anyone here looking to name a Corofin 15 but there are obviously players who would add to the team like Molloy who didn't really get a look in.

The main argument was that we should look to play like Corofin which is closer to the attacking style the county has always favoured. The Corofin defence is very solid and organised but when they break, they break with speed, purpose and a plan. Galway had none of that.

Obviously you are not going to get the best 15 footballers in the county from one club but when that club have a number of all Irelands to their name surely they have more than one player who could add something. This backlash against Corofin is frankly ridiculous and will do nothing for the county going forward. Walsh is the issue, not Corofin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

I didn't see anyone here looking to name a Corofin 15 but there are obviously players who would add to the team like Molloy who didn't really get a look in.

The main argument was that we should look to play like Corofin which is closer to the attacking style the county has always favoured. The Corofin defence is very solid and organised but when they break, they break with speed, purpose and a plan. Galway had none of that.

Obviously you are not going to get the best 15 footballers in the county from one club but when that club have a number of all Irelands to their name surely they have more than one player who could add something. This backlash against Corofin is frankly ridiculous and will do nothing for the county going forward. Walsh is the issue, not Corofin.

It hasn't been so bad on here, no. In general, this forum is pretty reasonable.

Previously mentioned supporters pages have been rife with that sort of talk though, and it got people's backs up. I think that's what has caused Corofin players to be getting extra, unfair grief after the game in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

There definitely has been such calls. Also, you mention Kieran Molloy - he is an easy one to mention now because he is the one who hasnt really gotten much of a chance (and it can be argued thats because of injury & club commitments). I have no doubt that if Walsh started Cummins, you would have people on here saying that Martin Farragher should be starting because of his AI club final performances.

There is an issue with Corofin but it is neither their fault or Walsh's fault. The problem lies with the club calendar. It has been impossible for a Corofin player to really claim a place on that team in the last couple of years because of their club commitments. This year, there was an effort to have them involved in FBD & some league matches. But the problem there is that even if one played well, he would be gone the next week with Corofin and somebody would take his place.

I am not convinced that Molloy or Martin Farragher are good enough. However, they have done enough at club level to be given a chance and they could grow into roles with Galway. Players like Brannigan & Heaney have done that because they were allowed to grow throughout league campaigns.

Advertisement