Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

Power looking around and around... and no movement.
    Wouldn't see that in a Dublin game and the quality of the player is irrelevant in that one instance.

We could be a force if the next manager gets these facets and utilizes the quality player we have.
    To say we're being held back is an understatement and we should be 2/3 years into a new management and not be into this ones 5th.

The only way is up, at least this nightmare should be over after this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Praying for a P45 for Walsh. Great player in the past but he’s ruining this bunch of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

Beaten but at least we showed some fight and adventure. All the messing with the team hasn't helped matters at all.

If this group had been coached properly from the beginning of the year they would have had potential. Kyne was exceptional today. Rarely let's you down. Cooke was fantastic too.

Two bad goals to concede and a missed penalty and still pushed on. I'm proud of that team this evening and it's been a long time since I've said that. Alot of young talent there and I look forward to next year under new management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Disgraceful last 10 from Galway. Shocking stuff, should be ashamed of themselves. Take your beating and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Thanks for everything lads. I know ye didn't go out to lose, especially to Mayo. Hopefully this will bring on a change in management and a new voice. The lads have brought us as far as possible.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    Disgraceful 60mins before from mayo. Never bitch about Dublin cynicism again. Ye're every bit as bad.

We'll keep trying to play football, would hate to see the day where we try to play the game like Kevin Walsh's Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Mayo were bad.

Ref was very bad.

Galway were very very bad.

Disgraceful last 10 from Galway. Shocking stuff, should be ashamed of themselves. Take your beating and go home.

Mayo not cynical at all sure. Spent most of the 2nd half hauling down players in midfield.

We'll keep trying to play football, would hate to see the day where we try to play the game like Kevin Walsh's Galway.

Is that what dragging down every attack in midfield called now, football? I'd call it something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Can't see Walsh surviving after that - the first half was pretty diabolical tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Have defended him previously but obviously end of line for Walsh. Though I think there is a fair few Galway players with reputations beyond what they have done.

Fair bit of arrogance from Mayo supporters leaving the game ‘enjoy the hurling’ ‘next year’ etc. Thankfully there is an easy one word answer, ‘51’ ends the conversation.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Have defended him previously but obviously end of line for Walsh. Though I think there is a fair few Galway players with reputations beyond what they have done.

Fair bit of arrogance from Mayo supporters leaving the game ‘enjoy the hurling’ ‘next year’ etc. Thankfully there is an easy one word answer, ‘51’ ends the conversation.

Let them enjoy that one. With a decent manager next year they won't be winning another for a while.

Few heads need to roll besides the management. Kerin needs to learn how to play the game or pack it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sickening first half but credit to the lads they didn't go home at ht and ponied up.

We've our best panel in years and Walsh and Co. are ridiculously blind to changes at the important moments. They hopefully will walk away. To be fair they gave us great days but I feel we're being held back by management.

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Maybe ye need to try winning a final. ;)

Maybe you need to try getting to one, most of those Galway lads were in their nappies the last time you lot won a semi.

Anyway, til next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Goalie situation. Shambles. A lad that's played played 20 or 30 times over the last three seasons named and then replaced by a goalie that has played I think this to be his third time. Not going to blame him despite his poor display. He's a good goalie The blame for this lies at the feet of Kevin Walsh.

Kerin deserved to be taken off. Silke should of followed. He's our best defender but today was terrible. Roasted for the goal. Turned over a few times. Missed penalty. Kyne good throughout. Fair play to Sean Andy dropped but showed some grit when he came on.

John Daly grand. Good first season. If Sean Kelly can only last a half he should never of started. Big part of his game is his engine which he had none of today. Caught out a few times. GOD didn't a whole lot.

McDaid seemed to lack legs. Cooke did ok. His scores glossed over again a lack of workrate early on when we gave Mayo a platform.

Mike Daly. Snatches but poor. Shane anonymous. Missed two frees. Heaney anonymous.

Ian Burke did his best. Farragher poor. Brannigan few glimpses but poor.

Molloy did ok. O' Laoi likewise and should never of been dropped. One shining lights in a collectively poor display from our forwards this season. Expecting miracles from Comer never going to work tired his best. Same with Tom Flynn.

And there it ends.

Very undignified behaviour I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Maybe you need to try getting to one, most of those Galway lads were in their nappies the last time you lot won a semi.

Anyway, til next year...

No point being in a final if you're just going to choke over and over.

I was in CP watching Ray Silke and Gary Fahy lift Sam - where did you watch the 51 game? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Too much pandering to Corofin, silk cost us, power cost us, farrgher very average, Galway and McQuillan beat Galway. Heaney on too long. Kevin went against his better judgement and caved in to Corofin. Corofin is a club and not a county team, just because you play well in a club team does not make you a county player. Lesson learned today!

threeball wrote:
    Few heads need to roll besides the management. Kerin needs to learn how to play the game or pack it in.

Kerins has been a liability for a long time, he's indisciplined and should not get a jersey until he has a serious attitude change.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Corofin boys were shocking that club has to much say in the county none of them are county standard

• Advertisement

Mr.Maroon wrote:
    I was in CP watching Ray Silke and Gary Fahy lift Sam - where did you watch the 51 game?

Mr.Maroon wrote:
    No point being in a final if you're just going to choke over and over.

He was on his old lads sack in his grandad's sack!

There’s a very good team in there somewhere waiting to get out. A young squad too. Important to get the next managerial appointment right.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Too much pandering to Corofin, silk cost us, power cost us, farrgher very average, Galway and McQuillan beat Galway. Heaney on too long. Kevin went against his better judgement and caved in to Corofin. Corofin is a club and not a county team, just because you play well in a club team does not make you a county player. Lesson learned today!

Ah come on. What did Corofin do to demand their players got on the team. If Walsh wasn't messing around with goalies constantly we might have a goalie with confidence. I'd have Power over Lavelle any day. Silke had a bad day at the office and Farragher didn't get much of a chance to even get on this team.

Today was infinitely better than the Roscommon game. How can you blame anything that happened today on Corofin. That's more to do with your own grudge against a club than an logical reason.

There’s a very good team in there somewhere waiting to get out. A young squad too. Important to get the next managerial appointment right.

There's a very good team there if coached properly. Really only looking like losing G'OD but the rest are pretty young and kyne has a few years left too. If you take the first 10mins out of tonight that was a pretty good performance from a team that played like that together for the first time ever. Very encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Condenser wrote:
    Ah come on. What did Corofin do to demand their players got on the team. If Walsh wasn't messing around with goalies constantly we might have a goalie with confidence. I'd have Power over Lavelle any day. Silke had a bad day at the office and Farragher didn't get much of a chance to even get on this team.

The two players in question Power and Silke had a huge bearing on the outcome of the game today whether you want to admit it or not.

The two players in question Power and Silke had a huge bearing on the outcome of the game today whether you want to admit it or not.

They did but if we were to drop every player and castigate their club after a poor game we wouldn't have a team at all.
    Where was the hate for Lavelles club, or Sean Andy's or Bradshaws after the last game. Some people round here are almost bipolar in wanting Molloy etc on the team one day and the entire Corofin contingent dropped the next.

By the way, winning today was only going to ne a sticking plaster over a mortal wound. Direct your ire at KW. Hes the reason this team didn't play well for over 4 years and lost today. You can't just turn 180 degrees in 3 weeks and expect results.

Condenser wrote:
    They did but if we were to drop every player and castigate their club after a poor game we wouldn't have a team at all. Where was the hate for Lavelles club, or Sean Andy's or Bradshaws after the last game. Some people round here are almost bipolar in wanting Molloy etc on the team one day and the entire Corofin contingent dropped the next.

Get a grip, the abuse players from the WEST got from people on social media was disgraceful citing Corofin players as the solution to all our problems, Corofin players wouldn't play for Galway when Kevin took over until they saw us win Connacht. Let today be a lesson to any future manager. Pick the best 15 and forget the politics and arrogance from north Galway

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

how did Ian burke make the team today? he has been shocking all year what has he scored from play in the 3 games?? nothing...Power kicked the ball over the sideline then messes up for the goal from the sidekick.. silke was bet to every ball the guy doesnt do his main job which is to defend it says everything that silke has more scored from play then burke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Great to see the Galway lads showing pride and heart. I felt since the Connacht final that the players might take ownership and I think that performance tonight was more to do with them than Walsh. He should've been getting that performance from them in Connacht finals, all Ireland quarter and semi finals. He needs to go.

Strange game. Looked over after ten minutes, mayo should've been out of sight after 35 mins yet Galway could've should've won after 70. Penalty was a disaster. I think a strong leader is crucial who could spot that silke isn't having a great game, confidence may be shot, and see if he fancies it. Give him an opt out if he wants.
    Brannigan, I know he missed the penalty against Dublin last year, but he scored a few points right before the penalty tonight, good chance he'd have buried the penalty.
    I'm happy with the performance in a way but Walsh has to go.

Advertisement