Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

grbear wrote: »
    In any other era the likes of Mountbellew, Annaghdown and Tuam could have all won an All-Ireland. They just have the bad luck to be stuck in a room with an 800lb gorilla wearing a yellow and green jersey.

They're certainly unlucky to be stuck with the 800lb gorilla in terms of winning a county title, not sure any of them would be good enough to challenge for All Ireland honours though.

But Corofin are exceptional. Even on days when they aren't at their best they just have an amazing consistency in terms of getting the job done. They're a superbly well organised team but also have so much individual quality aswell, and so much experience. If you were the Kilcoo manager you'd have a tough couple of weeks ahead thinking how the hell you're going to beat this unstoppable machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jr86 wrote: »
    Congrats Corofin what a team. Best Ive ever seen at club level anyway

We will soon have the annual debate on why they are not performing for Galway! Maybe the new calendar will hep them in that regard this year.

Really cant see them losing this final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

We will soon have the annual debate on why they are not performing for Galway! Maybe the new calendar will hep them in that regard this year.

Really cant see them losing this final.

Massive difference between club and county.

Luke Connolly was a revelation during super 8s this past summer playing havoc with Dublin and Tyrones defences. He scored one from play today off 39 year old Kieran Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Disappointing performance from St Thomas's, a game they will have plenty of regrets over - alot of bad wides!

Might be a blessing in disguise though - they looked very slow in defense and Ballyhale would probably hammer them again in the final in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

donnem33 wrote: »
    Disappointing performance from St Thomas's, a game they will have plenty of regrets over - alot of bad wides!

Flaked a ton of bad wides. Must be the quietest game I've ever seen David Burke have. Not sure how he stayed on for the full game.

Seems mad as well to play Fintan Burke at wing forward where he looks like a fish out of water when Conor Kenny was winning every puck out at 12 for Borris.

Poor performance on the line from Toms as well as the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

St Thomas's decision making was terrible. The wides were atrocious and they didnt deserve anything. You had one team with less ability overall playing a smart game with good decisions and then youd a more talented St Thomas's team with that old Galway failing of dumb decisions. The number 10 should be ashamed at that hit and hope attempt from the Mackey stand side in the second half. The centre back aswell...knowing he had a man on him still attempted a delivery after a long solo run from defence. He got blocked and Borris scored off it. It was lazy..he never thought wait ' if I lose this ball I'm exposed...ah whatever I'm going for it'. Poor day at the office for the forwards of St Thomas's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Think it was a bit of a cop-out playing Fintan wing forward tbh.

Even if he's not 100% he's too good a defender to be playing him up front. Instead of making a tough decision and leaving out one of the backs, they drop Farrell who mightn't look aesthetically the nicest hurler but he can win dirty ball up front

I know fintan did well in the forwards in the county final but there's a huge difference between coming on as sub in an open game and starting an all Ireland semi out of position. When you're not used to playing a certain place you simply cannot become a master in it over night

Once again it's a disappointing exit by a Galway side. Only one win outside of Galway (Toms very lucky to win that too against an Ulster side) in 6 seasons now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

good win for johnny kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Toms were a disaster in that second half. The wide-count and shot selection from lads like Darragh Burke was very poor. Only Shane Cooney and in spells Conor Cooney did anything in the last 30. Scoreline flattered Borris a bit but they were deserving winners.

Fintan Burke showed glimpses of what he can do but hopefully he won't play half-forward for county. Great to see him coming back nicely after last March as we'll need him this year, especially if Joe Jr is in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

What was the big idea of a section of Thomas's in the stand booing and jeering every time ronan maher stood over a free. Really annoying at club match. Crazy for goalie to be going short when ronan maher was gone forward . Ball more urgently needed at the other end. Better team won on the day really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭giveitholly

What was the big idea of a section of Thomas's in the stand booing and jeering every time ronan maher stood over a free. Really annoying at club match. Crazy for goalie to be going short when ronan maher was gone forward . Ball more urgently needed at the other end. Better team won on the day really

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Massive difference between club and county.

Luke Connolly was a revelation during super 8s this past summer playing havoc with Dublin and Tyrones defences. He scored one from play today off 39 year old Kieran Fitzgerald.

Liam Silke marked him yesterday, did a great job on him. Corofin had a great first 20 minutes, got their ideal start with the goal. I thought Mike Farragher was fantastic, best I've seen him play in a long time. They played in fits and starts, left a lot of scores behind them, but I can't see Kilcoo stopping the 3 in a row. They're some outfit.

Liam Silke marked him yesterday, did a great job on him. Corofin had a great first 20 minutes, got their ideal start with the goal. I thought Mike Farragher was fantastic, best I've seen him play in a long time. They played in fits and starts, left a lot of scores behind them, but I can't see Kilcoo stopping the 3 in a row. They're some outfit.

Corofin were far from their best the last day. Lundy missed two points from straight in front of goal. Sice missed a free from straight in front. Three of the worst wides you'd ever see. And they still won handy. Plenty of room for improvement in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Corofin were far from their best the last day. Lundy missed two points from straight in front of goal. Sice missed a free from straight in front. Three of the worst wides you'd ever see. And they still won handy. Plenty of room for improvement in them.

They've been like that all year though so unlikely to change now. Croke park will suit them though. They need to get a few points up and draw kilcoo out who would prefer to sit deep and counter attack. The big fast pitch will make that deep defending hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Robert2014

In both of the last All-Ireland finals they have brought their A-game and it would be a surprise if they do not improve from the weekend's performance. They seemed to have another gear if needed and in the end it looked like Nemo wanted to keep the score down. It will be hard for a team that are there for the first time to play a team going for 3 in a row that have been there and done it previously but cannot take Kilcoo for granted.

Apart from that it's good that the players involved will be available from the beginning of the league with Galway whatever happens in 2 weeks.

Still 3 in a row would be some achievement and make them possibly the best club team of all time?

Robert2014 wrote: »
    In both of the last All-Ireland finals they have brought their A-game and it would be a surprise if they do not improve from the weekend's performance. They seemed to have another gear if needed and in the end it looked like Nemo wanted to keep the score down. It will be hard for a team that are there for the first time to play a team going for 3 in a row that have been there and done it previously but cannot take Kilcoo for granted.

Apart from that it's good that the players involved will be available from the beginning of the league with Galway whatever happens in 2 weeks.

Still 3 in a row would be some achievement and make them possibly the best club team of all time?

Definitely the best club team of all time. Probably the greatest achievement of any Gaelic football team full stop, club or county.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

What Corofin players do you guys reckon will be on Galway senior team this year?

Liam Silke is class so nailed on starter, Burke looks to be coming back into form. Kieran Molloy was a bit hit and miss at the game I attended (Connacht club final). Martin Farragher played decent without scoring, Leonard looked good though.

If Fitzgerald was ten years younger he would be talked about among the best defenders in country, he probably is still at 39.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

rossie1977 wrote: »
    What Corofin players do you guys reckon will be on Galway senior team this year?

Liam Silke is class so nailed on starter, Burke looks to be coming back into form. Kieran Molloy was a bit hit and miss at the game I attended (Connacht club final). Martin Farragher played decent without scoring, Leonard looked good though.

If Fitzgerald was ten years younger he would be talked about among the best defenders in country, he probably is still at 39.

Martin got a score I think. With Comer & Burke it's kind of hard to fit others in inside but it's hard to ignore Farragher anymore. He's been playing excellently for over 2 years now and I think we'll see loads of him from now on. Midfield is quite light with Cooke and maybe Duggan gone, Conroy getting on. Steede will definitely be an option. Silke/Burke auto starters, Power is prob most likely for goals at this stage. Plenty don't like Molloy but he has to play imo, he's too effective and its on a consistent basis. I'd say 4 starters with 2 or 3 more involved to a degree

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Martin got a score I think. With Comer & Burke it's kind of hard to fit others in inside but it's hard to ignore Farragher anymore. He's been playing excellently for over 2 years now and I think we'll see loads of him from now on. Midfield is quite light with Cooke and maybe Duggan gone, Conroy getting on. Steede will definitely be an option. Silke/Burke auto starters, Power is prob most likely for goals at this stage. Plenty don't like Molloy but he has to play imo, he's too effective and its on a consistent basis. I'd say 4 starters with 2 or 3 more involved to a degree

At least this year they will be available for the league and not coming back at the arse end of the league. Should help the Corofin players stake a claim if they are good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

The Galway team to play Mayo next Sunday in the Connacht league in Castlebar has been announced.
    1. Connor Gleeson (Dunmore MacHales)
    2. Colin Murray (Mountbellew Moylough)
    3. Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
    4. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
    5. Eamon Brannigan (St Michaels)
    6. John Daly (Mountbellew Moylough)
    7. Cillian McDaid (Monivea Abbey)
    8. Tom Flynn (Athenry)
    9. Fiontan O'Curraoin (Micheal Breathnach)
    10. Patrick Kelly (Mountbellew Moylough)
    11. Michael Daly (Mountbellew Moylough)
    12. Mikey Boyle (Killererin)
    13. Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)
    14. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin Clonberne capt)
    15. Paul Conroy (St James)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Full back line will get plenty of scores!

Shane Walsh named captain.

I know you get all sorts of sides out in the FBD but that's an odd looking team.

There were rumours on HS that Sean Andy was cut from the panel. Thought it was unlikely myself as we had few enough options back there as it was and now I see O'Donnell at full-back. However it's only the FBD.

Brannigan at 5 is interesting as he's always been a great carrier of the ball but an erratic scorer.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    The Galway team to play Mayo next Sunday in the Connacht league in Castlebar has been announced.
    1. Connor Gleeson (Dunmore MacHales)
    2. Colin Murray (Mountbellew Moylough)
    3. Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
    4. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
    5. Eamon Brannigan (St Michaels)
    6. John Daly (Mountbellew Moylough)
    7. Cillian McDaid (Monivea Abbey)
    8. Tom Flynn (Athenry)
    9. Fiontan O'Curraoin (Micheal Breathnach)
    10. Patrick Kelly (Mountbellew Moylough)
    11. Michael Daly (Mountbellew Moylough)
    12. Mikey Boyle (Killererin)
    13. Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)
    14. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin Clonberne capt)
    15. Paul Conroy (St James)

Fair swing away from the west when you see that team. Used to be the guts of a 50/50 split especially at this time of year. Down to two now.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

That Galway team shows people shouldn't be getting too swept up in the rumours and innuendo (to steal a phrase) that surrounds training panels at this time of year. It isn't long since Varley and Brannigan had definitely been cut and would never play for Galway again.

Curious to see how Gleeson does. Sorting out the goalkeeper position is Joyce's biggest job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

I just got a glimpse of the borrisoleigh boys celebrating after there win the other night
    Allegedly of course

One thing that's evident from that team, which was also an aspect in the U20s last year is that while we might be better from open play this year we'll still be belting 50/50 balls to midfield.

You dont pick a midfield like that and not kick it, as FOC has no place in the modern game outside of that.

Please God Farrell drags Dublin back into doing that though I feel at this point it's so embedded in the squad they'll just do it themselves anyway.

Edit: checked IG as someone stats there.
    Against Dublin, 24 kickouts won 14.
    You can forget about beating Dublin if you're going to give them 10 of yours and 80% plus of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

grbear wrote:
    Curious to see how Gleeson does. Sorting out the goalkeeper position is Joyce's biggest job.

I know he played in goals for Galway United but doesn't Gleeson play outfield for Dunmore. I know it's not completely unusual for a decent goalie to be used outfield (Flaherty Claregalway, Manus Spiddel and Lavelle have all played outfield) it's probably better if his sole focus club and county is in goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I know he played in goals for Galway United but doesn't Gleeson play outfield for Dunmore. I know it's not completely unusual for a decent goalie to be used outfield (Flaherty Claregalway, Manus Spiddel and Lavelle have all played outfield) it's probably better if his sole focus club and county is in goals.

Lavelle still plays outfield even when he’s wearing the county number 1.
    Manys the heart attack he nearly caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Robert2014

We definitely need someone to nail down the goalkeeper position. Uncertainty in this position hasn't helped in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭testtech05

Lavelle, Declan Kyne and David Wynne gone from the panel according to the Galway footballers Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7F-BHTJdvb/?igshid=623qypui05c1

I know Kyne has his weaknesses but I thought he was worthy of a place on the panel. Out in some good showing over the last couple of years.

Advertisement