Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon - 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭ISOP

Not long to go now! Last serious session yesterday, 12 miles at marathon pace. Could have done another 12 I was feeling so good. Time to enjoy the taper now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

Peer pressure made me turn up for my running group's track session at lunchtime today :) My third ever track session as normally avoid them but thought good to try something new. Who'd have thought 3x800m would be so hard :o

A few miles at marathon pace tomorrow I think & then parkrun in Berlin next Sat instead of the breakfast run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

opus wrote: »
    Peer pressure made me turn up for my running group's track session at lunchtime today :) My third ever track session as normally avoid them but thought good to try something new. Who'd have thought 3x800m would be so hard :o

A few miles at marathon pace tomorrow I think & then parkrun in Berlin next Sat instead of the breakfast run.

We're gonna do the breakfast run I think. We've done the park run before anyway.

Although I would encourage anyone doing the breakfast run top please not partake in the releasing of any balloons. Apparently they do a balloon release and hand some out to the runners to release too. It's extremely damaging to wildlife and the environment. I think they also do the same at the start of the marathon which is disappointing. I'm surprised really that they haven't copped on yet but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

opus wrote: »
    At that time, I fully expect to be struggling with various VPN options to try and catch the rugby (unless they're moving the Parkruns to a later start to accommodate the Irish Rugby match?).

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

At that time, I fully expect to be struggling with various VPN options to try and catch the rugby (unless they're moving the Parkruns to a later start to accommodate the Irish Rugby match?).

https://www.kilkenny-pub.de/

Live Rugby, full Irish and a few pints. Sure what could go wrong? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

9am as normal I'm afraid :)

Btw I only remembered this morning to dig out my champion chip in case anyone else is using their own as opposed to renting one.

Any plans to meet somewhere afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Goodie bag a bit of a disappointment!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ooh, a sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Mate is over in Berlin, sub 3 runner looking to break 2:50......few minutes ago while laying out his gear for tomorrow, notices his bib has Block H on it, the last wave for 4:15+ :o he's freaking out as we speak.....any nuggets for him? Ran berlin myself a couple of years ago and ended up going into Block C instead of D by accident, so i know he could try and nip by the stewards, but.......that's not ideal really!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

healy1835 wrote: »
    Mate is over in Berlin, sub 3 runner looking to break 2:50......few minutes ago while laying out his gear for tomorrow, notices his bib has Block H on it, the last wave for 4:15+ :o he's freaking out as we speak.....any nuggets for him? Ran berlin myself a couple of years ago and ended up going into Block C instead of D by accident, so i know he could try and nip by the stewards, but.......that's not ideal really!

No hope of running a time starting in Block H. Get a black marker and turn the H into an A or a B and join that Block.

• Advertisement

spc78 wrote: »
    No hope of running a time starting in Block H. Get a black marker and turn the H into an A or a B and join that Block.

Yeah got a picture of a block b bib off instagram and sent it on to him..........hopefully he'll be able to fashion something MacGyver style :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Is there no tv coverage available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Is there no tv coverage available in Ireland?

I don't see any, just the tracker https://berlin.r.mikatiming.com/2019/?pid=tracking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

exciting at 35km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great fight back by Bekele!!

World record possible with less than 1 km to go

echancrure wrote: »
    World record possible with less than 1 km to go

Missed it by 2 seconds!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Missed it by 2 seconds!!!

Wow!

Some run......i didn't think he had that time in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Jesus. Missed the WR by 2seconds. That has to be the worst win for him in a way. Still an amazing performance, especially from 35km+ but I imagine his head will be wrecked thinking about all the potential opportunities to catch 3 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Flippin' hell. Some last few kms. And then the old 2.51 km 42. I love when I can dial in an old 2.51 that late in the game.

Seaward 2:13:39....

Seaward 2:13:39....

That’s great running. Ciaran Faherty with 2.19.06.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Jesus. Missed the WR by 2seconds. That has to be the worst win for him in a way. Still an amazing performance, especially from 35km+ but I imagine his head will be wrecked thinking about all the potential opportunities to catch 3 seconds

Had the same back in 2016 when he ran within 5 seconds of the former World Record

3:58 for me, a great day. First time under the 4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We got our blind runner round in a pb time for him. Despite the language barrier all went well and we managed to avoid any falls, even at the very crowded drinks stations. Was surprised how crowded the course was all the way round.

My neck hurts now from looking over my shoulders all the time, and think my voice has gone from all the shouting "blind runner".

Was great fun guiding.

Very busy course alright. Water Stations were a war zone.

ISOP wrote: »

I came a cropper on a plastic cup in Berlin in '17.....still get painful flashbacks everytime i come to a water station with plastic cups :o

• Advertisement

ISOP wrote: »

I came a cropper on a plastic cup in Berlin in '17.....still get painful flashbacks everytime i come to a water station with plastic cups :o

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of camaraderie to be honest. Plenty of pushing, shoving and elbowing going on. Its not like we were going to win it

Advertisement