Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon - 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

125 yoyos..........ouch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Was €144 this year if you paid for a finisher tee shirt and rented the timing chip !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Was cheaper than Dublin the first year I ran it (€60). Was also first come first served with no qualifying times.
    The good old days :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I'd happily pay it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've kinda fallen off the running trail since Berlin last year. Maybe I need to do it again to get back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

martyboy48 wrote: »

Fool & his money........

OOnegative wrote: »
    martyboy48 wrote: »

Fool & his money........
    Would people who have run Berlin consider it good value? 
    Expensive it certainly is however expensive and good value are two separate things. Do you get a lot for your moola - for that sort of money I'd expect hot showers and some decent food at the finish line at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Berlin is the best organised marathon there is. Yes Dublin is cheaper but for example imagine a start line where the q for a portoloo is only 2 or 3 people. For things like that I dont mind spending extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Would people who have run Berlin consider it good value? 
    Expensive it certainly is however expensive and good value are two separate things. Do you get a lot for your moola - for that sort of money I'd expect hot showers and some decent food at the finish line at the very least.

It's very well organised, you get a nice poncho at the end if you don't do the bag drop, and there's a bit of food, and alcohol free beer. I didn't look into showers etc as I was local enough. I do think there was something, but 40,000 people potentially looking for showers isn't something I want to be part of.

The atmosphere etc was amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

chrislad wrote: »
    It's very well organised, you get a nice poncho at the end if you don't do the bag drop, and there's a bit of food, and alcohol free beer. I didn't look into showers etc as I was local enough. I do think there was something, but 40,000 people potentially looking for showers isn't something I want to be part of.

The atmosphere etc was amazing though.

Apparently the showers were "communal", one of my training buddies ...a woman was all set to have a shower, looked in and found it full of naked guys, not a woman in sight. She asked a steward where the women's showers were and yer man just pointed into the crowd of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

At that price I'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Apparently the showers were "communal", one of my training buddies ...a woman was all set to have a shower, looked in and found it full of naked guys, not a woman in sight. She asked a steward where the women's showers were and yer man just pointed into the crowd of lads.

When I did it last year I'm nearly sure they were segregated.... I saw no neked ladies anyways :D The showers themselves were basic enough as you could imagine. Tented area with long water pipes running along them with sprinklers every 3-4feet. Half the tent for showers and half for changing. Basic as I said but perfectly adaquate.

The marathon itself I believe it to be decent value. A high profile course like this and well organised with a brilliant finishing area, all lend it it being good value IMO.

If you do what I did and take another few days to enjoy the city and it will make the trip even better..... God, I miss Berlin :)

events-berlin-marathon-assets-img-start-zielgebiet-laufer.jpg

As you can see in map, there are two showers areas. I presume she was standing near to one and the steward just pointed to the nearest one. May have thought they were meeting someone once they came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Just had a another another PFO from London. Don't think I'll bother with the ballot again.
    What are the odds with Berlin does anyone know?
    Love to do it and an excuse for a nice few days after it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Just had a another another PFO from London. Don't think I'll bother with the ballot again.
    What are the odds with Berlin does anyone know?
    Love to do it and an excuse for a nice few days after it

much much better i believe - 1 in 2 or 3 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

My husband and I got into Berlin this year on the 2nd try through the lottery. The advantage in Berlin is that you can do a 'team' entry - enter up to 3 people together into the lottery and you either all get in or all don't get in (the 'team' is only for lottery purposes - there's no obligation to run together on the same day and you will have different start corrals based on your time). It meant that we avoided a situation where one of us got it and the other didn't. It can also make it easier for friends or clubmates to do it as a weekend away.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Think the general ballot opened today?
    Are you charged if you are successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Think the general ballot opened today?
    Are you charged if you are successful?

Yes, In late November/ early December I think

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

She wandered into the men's showers -too funny!
    I'm in (just in it for the communal showers though - might not run the race, but still good value for the showers).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

Threw my name in the hat as well, mainly cause I really like visiting Berlin (the marathon is pretty good too!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

*sneaks in from the dcm novice thread*

I entered the lottery this morning. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

*runs back out*

#keepthemainthingthemainthing!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

How much faster does one think the Berlin Marathon would be compared to Dublin? If you did 3.15 in Dublin what would you think you could do Berlin in? I know there’s other factors heat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    How much faster does one think the Berlin Marathon would be compared to Dublin? If you did 3.15 in Dublin what would you think you could do Berlin in? I know there’s other factors heat etc.
    Allowing for 3.6% potential variance in humidity: 3:12:43, or around 2 minutes in real money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Indiana1

Just wondering do you get a top in the goody bag when you finish the Berlin marathon rather than forking out €34 beforehand for the finisher shirt option at the expo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Indiana1 wrote: »
    Just wondering do you get a top in the goody bag when you finish the Berlin marathon rather than forking out €34 beforehand for the finisher shirt option at the expo?

No you have to pay for it, you could wait and order it online after the race for cheaper, although there is shipping costs, I bought a few things so saved a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Indiana1

Thanks for that. Planning to do Berlin through one of the charities in 2019. I know the standard entry ballot system is open at the moment but I have never done one thru a charity and thought Berlin might be a good one. Anyone any experience doing it this way. I believe all the charities do it through Sports Travel International. Any tips as I will be a solo traveler?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cityrep

rom wrote: »
    Berlin is the best organised marathon there is. Yes Dublin is cheaper but for example imagine a start line where the q for a portoloo is only 2 or 3 people. For things like that I dont mind spending extra.

Hi all, I had the pleasure of running Berlin a few weeks ago. I paid to get in so it was the even more expensive ticket (€60 goes to charity)!! Reeealy wanted to run it but I would question the value.

Firstly, there's nothing included in the pack. Everhthing has to br paid for extra. The organisation is good but not flawless. I mean, some of the toilet queues were easily as long as any I'd see in Dublin. And I the wave I ran in was hugely crowded and kind of hard to access.

The amount of people also meant we were with slower runners (totally our fault, nothing to do with organisers) but there are a LOT of runners so be sure get your wave right.

Final rant is with water stations. Wow. One giant plastic cup mess. Horror show. Really slows you down and was dangerous at times.

Having said these 3 (very minor) complaints, I am going to enter again this year in the team lottery. The course is so flat it feels like you're going downhill in parts!! The support is amazing the entire time around the course. You get free public transport on the day with your number. And while I didn't get my desired time I did help my friend achieve his PR so it is fast.

One last thing. Flights are a b@stard as soon as the announcement is made. Aer Lingus was bananas. But there are alternatives (Manchester, cologne...)

Best of luck everyone. And hopefully see you there.

cityrep wrote: »
    Hi all, I had the pleasure of running Berlin a few weeks ago. I paid to get in so it was the even more expensive ticket (€60 goes to charity)!! Reeealy wanted to run it but I would question the value.

Firstly, there's nothing included in the pack. Everhthing has to br paid for extra. The organisation is good but not flawless. I mean, some of the toilet queues were easily as long as any I'd see in Dublin. And I the wave I ran in was hugely crowded and kind of hard to access.

The amount of people also meant we were with slower runners (totally our fault, nothing to do with organisers) but there are a LOT of runners so be sure get your wave right.

Final rant is with water stations. Wow. One giant plastic cup mess. Horror show. Really slows you down and was dangerous at times.

Having said these 3 (very minor) complaints, I am going to enter again this year in the team lottery. The course is so flat it feels like you're going downhill in parts!! The support is amazing the entire time around the course. You get free public transport on the day with your number. And while I didn't get my desired time I did help my friend achieve his PR so it is fast.

One last thing. Flights are a b@stard as soon as the announcement is made. Aer Lingus was bananas. But there are alternatives (Manchester, cologne...)

Interesting points, the fact that you are signing up again would say that they are indeed minor gripes and overall think its worth the entry fee.
    Found the same issue last year in Rotterdam regarding the water stops (1st station anyway) and I just skirted around the crowd and headed for a later table.
    Put my name in the hat as well, €160 is expensive so lets hope it's worth it!

Any recommendations on accommodation - going to try and book a refundable room now before the ballot results are released.

cityrep wrote: »
    rom wrote: »

Maybe that is the case about the toilets but when I did it in 2013 there were loads in the first two waves but maybe it has changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I ran Berlin in 2017 and will possibly be on the start line again next year. I have to say the organisation was flawless when I did it. I was in Pen C of the first wave and the portaloos weren't an issue there. The expo process was pretty streamlined, the only thing I couldn't, and still can't, get my head around was that anyone can just tip up to the Expo and buy a finishers t shirt. Some things should be sacrosanct.

Post Race beers from the Erdinger truck in front of the big screen beside the Brandenberg Gate were the stuff of legend. Water stations were a bit dicey alright and my own race came a cropper when I slipped on a plastic cup at about 20 miles, but that was more my own fault than anything else. If you're careful you can navigate them relatively easily. Personally I've a lot of time for Berlin as a city, and it takes the Marathon in it's stride very easily. Crowds were amazing too.

Advertisement