Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Circle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,833 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Have never watched this before , just turned it on fifteen minutes ago .
    Tim , he's lovely !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Much better tonight.

The blocking/elimination is so tense. As is the meet up before the evictee leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

*Didn't watch last year but loving it, felt it was to soon to block someone.

Love Tim.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Can't wait for James to be knocked out.

An hour seems a bit long. Think they could do it happily in half an hour hashtag lols SEND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I always put on my cynical filter with these shows and how they are filmed, edited/ presented. The way this one is put together, the chap playing the single mother is a right pratt, all he seems to do is take off his shirt and ponce about. Should be kicked out on his arse pronto but probably set up to last the series as is Tim the gay prof. At least the lad playing Kate last year was reasonably likable as a person. The way it worked last year though was that the people who got in first were harder to remove as the thing went on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,880 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Can't wait for James to be knocked out.

An hour seems a bit long. Think they could do it happily in half an hour hashtag lols SEND
    James is horrible hopefully someone will catch him out.

If you think an hour is long...the Friday show was an hour and forth minutes!

gmisk wrote: »
    James is horrible hopefully someone will catch him out.

If you think an hour is long...the Friday show was an hour and forth minutes!

I've actually settled into it now gmisk. I love it!

Loving Tim, but I fear he will crack and they'll block him eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,880 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I've actually settled into it now gmisk. I love it!

Loving Tim, but I fear he will crack and they'll block him eventually.
    Oh I am watching it too I loved series 1, you could be right about Tim....he is hugely likeable so fingers crossed he wins it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The live episodes and unnecessary studio audience aside, I'm loving this series. Tim, Georgina, and Woody are my favourites, so hope they're around until the end. I think the Richard Madeley thing has worked really well too, even though I was dubious about it to begin with.

I thought it was really sweet that Richard went to see Georgina. It was nice that he thought that she may second guess their conversation if he hadn't.

Slightly gutted it wasn't Jay who left though :pac:

I'm completely hooked. How long does it go on for? How many more times will they add more people I wonder? Not that I mind, Ella was a great addition!

• Advertisement

I thought it was really sweet that Richard went to see Georgina. It was nice that he thought that she may second guess their conversation if he hadn't.

Slightly gutted it wasn't Jay who left though :pac:

I'm completely hooked. How long does it go on for? How many more times will they add more people I wonder? Not that I mind, Ella was a great addition!

Think it goes on for another 2 weeks or so (finale is probably Friday October 18th, but that's only an educated guess).

They'll continue to add people every few days, so plenty of time to change. Last season four of the original players made up the final four, so there's definitely an advantage being in there from the very start.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Paddy's in!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

tedpan wrote: »
    Paddy's in!

Such a dose...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Not sure about Paddy or this weird twist. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

tedpan wrote:
    Paddy's in!
    What's a social media activist.

Does that pay the bills in Dublin I wonder.

What's a social media activist.

Does that pay the bills in Dublin I wonder.

Someone with time on their hands? The series is developing along, how much of that is natural and how much contrived is hard to know. They seem to have gone down the more balance route this year - people with disabilities, more different sexual preferences, older participants and so on. Which is fair enough as the whole point is that you don't really know who you are communicating with on chat forums like this most of the time. Just hope that the disability end is not exploitative.

As for contestants, not surprised to see Tim slipping down - there'd be a bit of resentment that he's been up near the top since the start. Think he'll survive to the end but won't win as most of the younger contestants would prefer someone younger to get the cash prize, not some old professor dude.

Sammie/ James living a charmed life, poser who likes to strut his stuff - had to laugh when he scrambled for a shirt when yer one came in on him! If the longer standing contestants get to be influencers, they'll kick him out as beginning to see through him. But takes a while for those coming in, so he may survive till the end.

Brooke - the sitting on the fence analogy is quite correct. She's done very little since the start, no real sense of character unlike the others. Could see her going.

Georgina - seems to have developed good connections and people take her at face value, probably to the end.

Woody - seems to be taken as is and developed good connections, likely stay till end.

Ella might end up pissing off enough of the others sooner or later and be kicked out. The people who are too quiet or too edgy tend to get booted.

No sure about the couple thing - who will speak for the character? Tricky if both do it, maybe one will just tell the other what to say?

As things stand at the moment, I'd have Georgina or Woody to win.

Oh and the Paddy lad from Dublin - hmm........ lot's of Oirish stereotyping there, with the disability twist thrown in. He also seems a bit abrasive. May not work out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Kinda like them all apart from Beth (vain as f*ck & boring) and Paddy (a**hole).

Hope Tim or Georgina win though

I don't mind Paddy, though I haven't finished last nights show yet. He seems grand enough so far.

I didn't like Jack or Beth, would have been happy to see them go completely. Producers must have sensed a spark between them and are now hoping for a Big Brother moment, so they plonked them in together.

Still loving Tim and Georgina. Sammy/James has grown on me a lot. Don't mind him so much anymore.

I really look forward to this show every evening :o

I really look forward to this show every evening :o

For this general sort of mindless TV genre, it's one of the more interesting shows in that it has the potential to reflect the modern social media world. Where things may often not be what they seem and people can masquerade or exaggerate a different character to what they are in real life.

Can't see 'Joyce' lasting. They are a pair of pretty hopeless airheads when it comes to developing a strategy. I suppose they've had little time to prepare. If they get kicked out soon enough, it won't have been a success, just a needless excursion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I didn't like Jack or Beth, would have been happy to see them go completely. Producers must have sensed a spark between them and are now hoping for a Big Brother moment, so they plonked them in together.
    I'm not a fan of either of them and would have been happier to see them leave also. I thought Jack was a bit mean flirting with Paddy like that. And then he was flirting with Beth.

I was hoping the real life couple from the outside would be brought in - if you were stuck in a flat with your other half 24/7 with the added pressure of the game, I could only imagine you'd be snapping at each other by the end of the first day (I would anyway!)

Georgina and James seem to be sitting back a bit now. Or else they're not showing them. Jack and Beth are taking over the time, but they're completely uninteresting :D

Would love more Scholar Squad chats!

Does anyone know that the show is actually filmed in 'real time'? i.e. are the contestants holed up in their apartments as we write?

Or was it all filmed and canned last summer? Obviously the public voting would indicate it's in real time but I don't think there's any verification process. Viewers that vote have to rely entirely on the show producers word that their votes are counted and/or that the results are correct. It's quite possible that the 'real couple' were voted in but that it may suited the show better to throw Jack & Beth together?

They have a Friday night audience show but that could be staged as well.. hard to know what to believe these days!

I dont know. I don't know whether I read it here, or whether it was said on one of the live shows, but there was a remark some where that the editors were playing a blinder and instrumental in how it all worked out.

There was a post on the Circle Facebook page where someone posted a pic of the building. Someone else replied that it wasn't actually filmed there. But I thi k they all have to be staying somewhere dont they?

So I don't really know how they're doing it and whether the public are having any true impact

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I didn't watch last year- how is the winner decided?

Paddy telling the group about his disability tonight had me in pieces. Really great moment. He mentioned the other night that he lives in Temple Bar - I think I've seen him a good few times around that part of town actually.
    Posy wrote: »
    I didn't watch last year- how is the winner decided?

The ratings system last year was different, and it didn't really work in terms of deciding a winner, even though the most deserving player did ultimatately win. There were a few teething problems in general with the first season that they've definitely improved upon, including the ratings system, which will hopefully fix how the finale plays out, it'll probably be fairly different to how Season 1 played out. Basically though they just stopped adding in new players at some point and when it gets down to the final 4 a final ratings will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Anybody remember Paddy on 1st Dates Ireland before? As far as i can remember it didn't end well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Anybody remember Paddy on 1st Dates Ireland before? As far as i can remember it didn't end well for him.
    I was going to say that I remembered him from First Dates but then thought I'd imagined it. :o Thanks for confirming that I'm not going mad! :D

Paddy telling the group about his disability tonight had me in pieces. Really great moment. He mentioned the other night that he lives in Temple Bar - I think I've seen him a good few times around that part of town actually.

Yes but also manipulative at the same time - he knows there's a ratings coming up and he'll be included this time, so timed playing the card well. No way he'll be kicked out in next couple of votes anyway.

'Sammie' varies between feeling guilty and then being extremely manipulative. I didn't like him at the start, warmed to him a bit but now just plainly dislike him. Different to 'Kate' last year in that the single mum line he's spinning is just downright deceitful and playing on the others better instincts. Hope himself and Tim don't meet up unexpectedly as dare say the latter will tell where to stick it. Actually wouldn't be surprised if 'Sammie' cracks up and retires if he goes on longer as no way he'll be able to face the others, probably thought he'd never get this far. Also surprising that the others haven't seen through him more and the supposed separation from her child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yes but also manipulative at the same time - he knows there's a ratings coming up and he'll be included this time, so timed playing the card well. No way he'll be kicked out in next couple of votes anyway.

'Sammie' varies between feeling guilty and then being extremely manipulative. I didn't like him at the start, warmed to him a bit but now just plainly dislike him. Different to 'Kate' last year in that the single mum line he's spinning is just downright deceitful and playing on the others better instincts. Hope himself and Tim don't meet up unexpectedly as dare say the latter will tell where to stick it. Actually wouldn't be surprised if 'Sammie' cracks up and retires if he goes on longer as no way he'll be able to face the others, probably thought he'd never get this far. Also surprising that the others haven't seen through him more and the supposed separation from her child.

Exactly, he said he was going to do exactly that when he went in.

Advertisement