Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

some 80's memories here. Tastee Nastee, "Heavy 0n The Miracle Harry" and Birds Dream Topping

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Loved supergran, it was on itv, Billy connolly was in it on and off, incredibly Scottish show, I'm talking rab c nesbitt stuff.

The Adventures Of Waldo Kitty - based on Walter Mitty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Prairie chocolate bars.
    Plopsu wrote: »
    I don't know what the green goo in one type was but it was f*&^*ing lovely and probably not based on anything naturally occurring.

For years, I've been trying to remember the name of a chocolate bar with green goo from when I was a kid, and I had nearly convinced myself that I imagined them. I thought they had something to do with cowboys, so that would fit in with the 'Prairie' name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Ever see SuperTed in Irish? I think it was spotty that had the deepest voice you could imagine. It was quite scary. And inspector Gadget in Irish too. I still remember the theme tune for that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Grayson wrote: »
    Ever see SuperTed in Irish? I think it was spotty that had the deepest voice you could imagine. It was quite scary. And inspector Gadget in Irish too. I still remember the theme tune for that.

Never bothered watching the toons As Gaeilge when I could just switch over to BBC or UTV and watch them in English...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Inspector Gadget. How did they slip that title past whoever looks at these things before they go on telly?

Big Ed Loves Mona.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Plopsu wrote: »
    Inspector Gadget. How did they slip that title past whoever looks at these things before they go on telly?

In Mullingar, in the 80's when I was a kid, there was a take away called double d's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

For years, I've been trying to remember the name of a chocolate bar with green goo from when I was a kid, and I had nearly convinced myself that I imagined them. I thought they had something to do with cowboys, so that would fit in with the 'Prairie' name. :)

The bar was thinner than Fry's but the same idea, the fruit centred Fry's chocolate bar would be the nearest to Prairie bar and yes you are correct it had pictures of Red Indians and cowboys on the wrapper, although I think Fry's was always a darker chocolate. The green goo you are referring to I think was lime centre, I think Two & Two bars had lime centres too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Speaking of gooey chocolate bars does anyone remember the small Masters of the Universe bars for 5p? They were molded in the shape of various He Man characters and had a gooey centre. They were disgusting however :D Oversweetened cheap chocolate and that gooey centre was revolting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Monster Munch (which was orange back then, I was addicted to it and my mum thought it was responsible for giving me migraines as a kid).

Loop the Loop ice pops
    Time bars - choc coated very hard toffee that would rip yer teeth off!
    Wham bars - pink with fizzy bits
    Refresher bars - lemon and sherbet delight!
    Birds Ice Magic - you poured the choc sauce - mint and orange flavoured - on ice cream &it instantly hardened.
    Penny sweets - fruit salads and blackjacks.

Thankfully most of the above are still on the market!

Remembered this one from the 70s I think it was called Cracker Bar, a bit like Cadbury's Golden Crisp except thinner and instead of honeycomb it was mint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I was very young but remember Bullseye on a Sunday evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-f2hu4opWI

Statistically, you were more likely to kill yourself when Bullseye was on than at any other time during the week. (or at least that's what I've heard)

or just after if you lived on the 17th floor of a tower block in Hull and had won a Speedboat and not a Ford Fiesta:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

The coin operated gas geyser in the shared bathroom in my first bedsit. Shared with two others, and it was a bath, not a shower. Needed cleaning before & after use.

Late 80s Dublin.

MDE2NjFlYTJiNjJjNmU4YTMzNTFhM2MzZjA4YjI2YzK5t0zwkBVqSv0dvGen7dnVaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNjRlYTczNTE3MzFiZjg4MjVlZGI4ZDQ5ODk1MWVjOTA2N2VjYTA0ZjlhZGNkY2ExNWRhM2Y2NDZiOTRhNDM4OC5qcGd8fHx8fHwyOTV4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

79715-70297.jpg?itok=Qj-dbJD4

"My name is Rashers, see?"

Remember that annoying gobshyte? He's on here at the minute and a half mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Supergran used to be shown on a Saturday evening, I think it was on BBC1. It was a kids show about an old granny with super powers.

Children's ITV

Tyne Tees region

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭username2013

There was no mass on Good Friday. The service started at 3.00pm and they had the long gospel that was also done on Passion Sunday. No communion either and sometimes you would have to kiss the cross afterwards.
    I remember being told it wasn't a holy day of obligation but we always went.

Yeah, church was awful at Easter. At least the mass at Christmas was at midnight and you knew you were getting presents after! But Easter, jaysus a wet miserable time of year with loads of boring masses (or church services) that went on for hours. Horrendous. I still hate Easter to this day due to all the ****e church things we had to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭newspower

Two & Two bars and Mosney......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The 1970's saw the ending (twice) of the penny toffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Never bothered watching the toons As Gaeilge when I could just switch over to BBC or UTV and watch them in English...

Lame effort by rte to get kids into Irish. Never watched them either!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Supergran used to be shown on a Saturday evening, I think it was on BBC1. It was a kids show about an old granny with super powers.

I think the reason Popeye was shown so often on RTE is because the Popeye character is in the public domain. This meant that anyone can show a Popeye cartoon or even come up with their own Popeye cartoon without fear of paying royalties or being sued.

I also remember a cartoon on RTE called Walter Kitty about a cat who had crazy adventures. I think it came from Canada.

Also, I remember Rolf Harris and Jim'l fix it on Saturday evenings. I shudder to think about it now but I used to love watching those 2 creeps when I was a kid :(

No. Popeye was still under copyright at the time. Copyright in Europe expired in 2009 and protected in the US until 2024.

Rte more likely bought them in as they were old and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yeah, church was awful at Easter. At least the mass at Christmas was at midnight and you knew you were getting presents after! But Easter, jaysus a wet miserable time of year with loads of boring masses (or church services) that went on for hours. Horrendous. I still hate Easter to this day due to all the ****e church things we had to go to.

You weren't looking forward to the Easter eggs 2 days later?

The Medjugorje apparitions started in the early 80s, and still going strong to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Getting my letter read out on Mail Bag by Arthur Murphy when I was circa 10 years old.
    My mother was in the bathroom helping my little brother have his weekly bath before mass and I ran in shouting that my letter was read out and they were like WTF are you saying because I was hysterically excited!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Getting my letter read out on Mail Bag by Arthur Murphy when I was circa 10 years old.

What was it about?

My name was read out on Anything Goes on the birthday list one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,840 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

MDE2NjFlYTJiNjJjNmU4YTMzNTFhM2MzZjA4YjI2YzK5t0zwkBVqSv0dvGen7dnVaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNjRlYTczNTE3MzFiZjg4MjVlZGI4ZDQ5ODk1MWVjOTA2N2VjYTA0ZjlhZGNkY2ExNWRhM2Y2NDZiOTRhNDM4OC5qcGd8fHx8fHwyOTV4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Even better when you could tap the number to ring someone when skint, not that I ever did that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What was it about?

I can't remember the specifics but it was something about a kids programme that had two hosts. It was a quiz show on the weekday afternoons.
    Mary Kingston was one host and the other host was male and for some reason I think he looks like Simon Delaney but obviously it wasn't him.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement