Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It was a routine inspection for undescended testicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Cheers, I never actually knew that and pretty sure we weren’t aware of the purpose of it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Jesus those sandwiches were disgusting, always looked forward to wednesday for bun day and even better when they also had buns on friday.

I remember the visit from the health nurse, a room full of boys all in their vests and y fronts and the nurse weighing you and then cupping your scrotum and asking you to cough. Then dressed and back to class.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I had this horrible recollection yesterday, of a dental or public health nurse coming to our school in the 70s, and giving us all a vile mouthwash.
    We had to swish it around our mouths for what seemed like hours before spitting it out.
    To this day, I can remember it all too vividly, yuk.

I remember the nurse coming to the school, the indignity of stripping off to your underwear while the teacher looked on and having your balls felt by a grey heard sixty year old spinster.

Circa 1986.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Don't recall no fillings. Corned beef was definitely the highlight of the week. A soggy room temperature sandwich that still managed to taste better than my homemade sandwich.:D I remember in first class a corned beef sandwich being left over after lunch. We were practicing singing for our communion. The teacher promised the leftover sandwich to whoever sang the best. The amount of lads singing their heads off to win that sandwich. It was funny yet years later I find it sad.

Meat was something to be savoured greatly back then as it was relatively expensive and families were larger - it didnt need to be said that you couldnt just have as much meat as you actually wanted to have. Even as late as the early 00s when my brothers and I used to draw cartoons, one of the tropes would be that if a character was comically rich he would have lots of money, his own tv in his bedroom and unlimited meat (in the form of giant hams (presumably) with a huge leg bone sticking from it!). I cant imagine kids nowadays associate meat with luxury in that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Every Friday though ? And I always got a big bag of sweets from the teacher afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭Floppybits

oleras wrote: »
    Every Friday though ? And I always got a big bag of sweets from the teacher afterwards...

Were ya asked to cough?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

oleras wrote: »

The nurse didn't come every Friday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Corned beef was fancy back then for sandwiches.
    Billy roll, garlic salami or Hazlett were the fillings of choice. The cheap plastic garlic salami though. Christ they all stank!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I can't remember the name it, but there was a tv detective series on RTÉ 2 shown on Friday evenings, probably in 1986 or 1987. It was an American TV series from the late 70s/early 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

branie2 wrote: »
    there was a tv detective series on RTÉ 2 shown on Friday evenings, probably in 1986 or 1987. It was an american TV series from the late 70s/early 80s.

The Streets Of San Francisco (1972-1977) was repeated on RTE2 around then.

The Streets Of San Francisco (1972-1977) was repeated on RTE2 around then.

It wasn't that, the detectives consisted of a few men and women, one of whom was blonde, and ended up kidnapped in one episode.

Don’t think TJ Hooker is the answer, more an 80s show I’d guess, but I do recall an episode where Cap Kirks hot daughter Heather Locklear got kidnapped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I remember the nurse coming to the school, the indignity of stripping off to your underwear while the teacher looked on and having your balls felt by a grey heard sixty year old spinster.

Circa 1986.

Jaysus, we had that too. Around the same time, 86 or 87. WTF what that in aid of?

We never had that in the school I went to, thankfully.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yup, I remember that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Remember that in the early 90s too, our whole class basically got told to just strip down to underpants out of the blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Circa 1986.

St Fiachras!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I had this horrible recollection yesterday, of a dental or public health nurse coming to our school in the 70s, and giving us all a vile mouthwash.
    We had to swish it around our mouths for what seemed like hours before spitting it out.

I'm sure it was to highlight your cavities. She then put a dot for each one onto a tooth map and you had to bring it home to the folks for them to sign. Name and shame the parents who weren't getting their kids to brush their teeth properly.

A family Christmas tradition started for us in 1989 - opening our presents from under the three on Christmas eve night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

A family Christmas tradition started for us in 1989 - opening our presents from under the three on Christmas eve night

Which three?

The Chrithmas three?

Sorry, I meant tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Big Nasty wrote: »

Which three?

The Chrithmas three?
    Free the Christmas Three!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

They served it in strange cone shaped paper cups.
    Vile stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I was just reminded how we would use the centre page of a newspaper to get the fire lighting by sticking it up against the fireguard and leaving a gap at the bottom to let the air under the fire. So many times that piece of newspaper nearly caught fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

All my cool denim jackets with all the back patches.
    Looking at some of the stories I had it pretty good but didn't realise it..old fella worked in same place all his life from 16 to retirement and we never lacked for anything.
    I'm a complete tech head and nerd but growing up in the 70s/80s and 90s I wouldn't trade it for growing up today.
    They really were awesome times.

f64e38e013f6938f25bff9e87877ee0d.jpg

Blazer wrote: »
    All my cool denim jackets with all the back patches.
    Looking at some of the stories I had it pretty good but didn't realise it..old fella worked in same place all his life from 16 to retirement and we never lacked for anything.
    I'm a complete tech head and nerd but growing up in the 70s/80s and 90s I wouldn't trade it for growing up today.
    They really were awesome times.

f64e38e013f6938f25bff9e87877ee0d.jpg

Like it and, goes without saying I take it, that the look was completed with double denim and a pair of tan brogues with cleats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

They served it in strange cone shaped paper cups.
    Vile stuff.

Yep. You could kind of smell and taste the vileness. I think we used to spit it back into the cone as well. It really was yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Azatadine wrote: »
    Yep. You could kind of smell and taste the vileness. I think we used to spit it back into the cone as well. It really was yuck.

Yes we did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

My brother got such a fright when he had this examination that his balls shot up into his groin. It was a short lived diagnosis.

Advertisement