Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,239 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Holy Hour in the pubs on Sunday

As I remember they closed for two hours so people would go home for dinner and not go boozing after Mass and stay in the pub all day

It didn’t work as the publicans just locked the doors and pulled down the blinds

Holy hour in the pubs on the other days of the week as well. Except that actually was an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Linked on that page

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0526/791179-donegal-disco-doubles-as-nuclear-bunker/
    Donegal hotel prepares for nuclear disaster and hopes to make some money in the process.

Jackson’s Hotel in Ballybofey county Donegal is making an underground disco available as a nuclear shelter at a price of £250 a head.

Barry Jackson, Manager of Jackson’s Hotel, describes the facilities on offer at the hotel and believes that the disco could hold 400 people comfortably in the event of a nuclear accident.

Reporter Cathal MacCoille suggests that people may think he is cashing in on people’s fears as a result of the Chernobyl disaster.

When asked about the public interest in his venture Mr Jackson says

We’ve had nobody paying up front yet.

A ‘Morning Ireland’ report by Cathal MacCoille broadcast on 29 May 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Squatter wrote: »
    The civil service - being Dublin based - wouldn't really have worried much about what happened to a mickey mouse hospital somewhere a long way from the capital!

Most civil servants don't work in Dublin, and wasn't that hospital the biggest in the country at the time, maybe still is?

Someone in the 1960s worked out that ONE fission bomb (not a hydrogen bomb) would overwhelm the entire UK NHS with casualties.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Most civil servants don't work in Dublin, ...

Back then, the vast majority of civil servants were based in Dublin.

I would think that, even with the various decentralisation phases, the majority of civil servants are still based there.

Unless you are confusing them with public servants, of which they are only a subset.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I would think that, even with the various decentralisation phases, the majority of civil servants are still based there.

Nope. There were always lots of civil servants working outside Dublin, in garda stations, dole offices, school inspectors, veterinary inspectors, etc. A lot more back office functions moved out of Dublin in the 80s and 90s and that brought the numbers outside Dublin into the majority.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Holy Hour in the pubs on Sunday

As I remember they closed for two hours so people would go home for dinner and not go boozing after Mass and stay in the pub all day

It didn’t work as the publicans just locked the doors and pulled down the blinds

Ya I was a kid, I remember looking out the window at the pub across the street and watching fellas furtively tapping on the door to get in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Anyway... with the Season upon us...... Midnight Mass was at MIDNIGHT!!!

Those were the days.... you would always get your 'Christmas Pint' on Christmas Eve so you had to go out or you would miss it!!

then stay on and go straight to midnight mass...

The Pogues summed it up on Sickbed of Cuchulainn.... the crack was mighty down the back of the Church. I felt so bad one time at all the talking and giggling .. that I got up on Xmas Day and went to Mass again!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

You saw a lot of skangery fellas in the 80's who looked like the guy here on the far left. Medium length hair, not quite a mullet and the obligatory wacker tash.

ModsInTramore_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-462748

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You saw a lot of skangery fellas in the 80's who looked like the guy here on the far left. Medium length hair, not quite a mullet and the obligatory wacker tash.

ModsInTramore_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-462748

He looks like Sylvester Stallone with the tash!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Dude on the right looks like he photobombed them.

• Advertisement

I'd say that two of the three on the left have since come out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Masala wrote: »

Those were the days.... you would always get your 'Christmas Pint' on Christmas Eve so you had to go out or you would miss it!!

That's why they changed it to 9 - to stop people coming in hammered after the pubs closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Masala wrote: »

The Pogues summed it up on Sickbed of Cuchulainn.... the crack was mighty down the back of the Church. I felt so bad one time at all the talking and giggling .. that I got up on Xmas Day and went to Mass again!!
    I remember a mate's Mammy having to sit between meself and himself at a midnight mass sometime in the mid 80s. I've no idea how or why we ended up there in Dominic St Church after being on the tear all night in Bartley Dunnes and others.

The Lone Ranger cartoon in the 80s. I think it was on every day during the week at teatime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

branie2 wrote: »
    The Lone Ranger cartoon in the 80s. I think it was on every day during the week at teatime.

The Lone Ranger weetabix ad. Whats this we business, pale face!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ipso wrote: »
    The Lone Ranger weetabix ad. Whats this we business, pale face!

Brilliant! Thanks for reminding me of that ad! :D

I was an 80's child and we had one bathroom for 2 adults and 7 kids which seems like luxury compared to what I've heard 70's generation had to put up with. Is it true ye only had one outhouse per street with a chamber pot for nighttime wee wees or was that just a British thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I remember a mate's Mammy having to sit between meself and himself at a midnight mass sometime in the mid 80s. I've no idea how or why we ended up there in Dominic St Church after being on the tear all night in Bartley Dunnes and others.
    Bartley Dunnes Ooooh Vicar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

photos where everyone is smoking

even the children

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

nice_guy80 wrote: »

even the children

I was in the Coombe in 1980 and not only were the patients smoking in the rooms but so were the visitors ! The room I was in had 3 out of 6 smokers and it was a smokey haze for the duration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I was in the Coombe in 1980 and not only were the patients smoking in the rooms but so were the visitors ! The room I was in had 3 out of 6 smokers and it was a smokey haze for the duration

My dad was given his first cigarette in hospital by his parents when recovering from having his appendix removed at 11 years old.
    That was the 1940s though.

Another detective series in the 80s was Dempsey & Makepeace, about an American cop and a British detective who joined forces in England

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    When did they ban smoking in maternity wards? It seems crazy now that you could have the newborn in one hand and a cigarette in the other!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

branie2 wrote: »
    Another detective series in the 80s was Dempsey & Makepeace, about an American cop and a British detective who joined forces in England

She is beautiful.. Think she was in eastenders recently

She was, as the mother of Ronnie and Roxy Mitchell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Heroditas wrote: »
    Brilliant! Thanks for reminding me of that ad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I was an 80's child and we had one bathroom for 2 adults and 7 kids which seems like luxury compared to what I've heard 70's generation had to put up with. Is it true ye only had one outhouse per street with a chamber pot for nighttime wee wees or was that just a British thing?

I recall fairly regularly sharing the bathroom at home with two brothers in the mornings. You'd have one at each of the showering/shaving/sh1tting workstations, rotating every 10 minutes or so. The odour of poop, mixed with cigarette smoke and steam hasn't quite left me yet.

Tell that to the kids today with their en-suites and wet rooms.
    Edgware wrote: »
    Bartley Dunnes Ooooh Vicar!
    It had a real alternative music scene in the 80s, goths (in the days before they were called goths), punks, cureheads and hangers on like me. There was a 'Bartley Dunnes Reunion' guy on Facebook who used to get the crowd back together from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

It had a real alternative music scene in the 80s, goths (in the days before they were called goths), punks, cureheads and hangers on like me. There was a 'Bartley Dunnes Reunion' guy on Facebook who used to get the crowd back together from time to time.

Lots of Joy Division as I remember, it was a good spot, gay gang at the front of house, music nerds and smokers at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I only made it to Bartley Dunnes towards the end - finally got in summer of 1990. Great spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nice_guy80 wrote: »

and you had to be that extra careful taking a photo cause you only had 24/36 shots...whereas nowadays you can delete and re-take willy nilly....and then you had the week long wait for them to be processed and then collect them at the chemist

Advertisement