Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Every second kid didn't have ADHD ,maybe because parents were parents not consumed with being your kids friends, and those kids that were brats were just that and got a slipknot induged

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If you wanted good weather the following day, for a holy communion or a match or something, you put the Child of Prague statue in the front garden overnight. I haven't seen that in ages.
    Also in Dublinthere was a serious amount of chickens around. Even in the inner city; nearly everyone who had a small garden or yard out the back would keep a few hens for the eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

This was the 80s version of handheld gaming:

maxresdefault.jpg

(I played this game for hours. Hours!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

** Murphy's Micro Quism **
    The very end, when one contestant got to sit in the driver's seat of a brand new Ford Orion. Simply answer 5 questions and the car was theirs. A brand new car.
    Half the time the poor ****ers got a question wrong and had to get back out of the car and go home with a box of biscuits and a toaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

ADHD hadn't been invented yet so some kids were just bold (bad parenting) instead of the cop out excuse pop a pill solution that is the norm these days. Will be interesting to see how these children hooked on pharmaceuticals end up as adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

• A pint of Guinness was 16p in 1973.
    • Dufflecoats and clogs were the fashion sins of the 70's. Levis, Wranglers and Doc Martens were the closest you got to brand names.
    • Outside the cities, it was difficult to find live music that wasn't Showband or Country & Western. There were a few trad-rock bands plying their trade around then. Boomtown Rats, Rory Gallagher and Horslips were pretty big.
    • Unemployment was nuts: only two from my leaving cert year stayed in Ireland - we all emigrated either then or after graduating from University. There were pretty much no summer or part-time jobs - students had to go abroad to try to earn some money for the following year.
    • It was just as difficult to buy a house then as now - not much has changed in that area. Mortgages were from the Building Societies who had really tough qualification rules.
    • Contraception was illegal. Mary Robinson started here political career bringing condoms on the train from Belfast, to have them confiscated by customs.
    • Many people used hitch-hiking as their primary mode of transport.
    • Women wore headscarves, and black shawls were common - not unlike the Muslim dress of today.
    • Price disparities between the North and South meant that people went North to buy Irish butter. Christmas Butter was sold at a fraction of the normal price, in order to reduce the EU Butter Mountain.
    • TV: Bosco, Wanderly Wagon, The Riordans, Hall's Pictorial Weekly and Quicksilver.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Wibbs wrote: »
    For all that and speaking as someone who has been flyfishing since I wasn't far from being a toddler, rivers outside towns and cities were in better health in the 70's and 80's. The fly life was more diverse. Nowadays it's less so in many places, even though rivers may look cleaner. Fish farms in estuaries have also hit migratory fish like salmon and seatrout hard, very hard in some river systems. And so many think them a "green" solution.
    R

Remember all the fish kills and the state of Loughs Sheelin and Derravarragh?
    Fly rods were mainly hollow glass, and no such thing as fluorocarbon leaders.
    Waders were mostly rubber, and waterproof jackets were either oilskin or waxed cotton, no breathable materials.
    Yes, fly life seems to have suffered, especially the Mayfly.
    If you flyfished for pike or sea fish you'd be laughed at!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Pod123 wrote: »
    Car reg made no sense and hard to work out what year it was.
    Nope, it was quite clear. Each county had a 2-letter code , e.g. LI for Westmeath, ZM and IM for Galway. All Irish number plates (including the North) had either a Z or an I to differentiate them from GB plates. The year was the extra letter before the county code. And the year could also be determined by whether the letters or the numbers were first on the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

bpmurray wrote: »
    Nope, it was quite clear. Each county had a 2-letter code , e.g. LI for Westmeath, ZM and IM for Galway. All Irish number plates (including the North) had either a Z or an I to differentiate them from GB plates. The year was the extra letter before the county code. And the year could also be determined by whether the letters or the numbers were first on the plate.

Point proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭bullpost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I've a terrible memory and this thread is brilliant, reminding me of so many things.

Anyone else remember Hammer House of Horrors?? A different horror movie every Saturday night, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

bpmurray wrote: »

There was no correlation between the first letter of 3 and the year, the letter only changed when all the numbers were used up. Same for switching from letters before numbers to numbers before letters, each county changed over when its allocation was used up. By the mid 80s Dublin was running out of regs so they found some unused county codes, e.g. SI, and assigned them to Dublin which kept things going long enough for the new system to be introduced in 1986. Some combinations were unused e.g. TIT, but I believe HIV plates were issued before anyone realised it might not have been a great idea.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

BBFAN wrote: »
    I've a terrible memory and this thread is brilliant, reminding me of so many things.

Anyone else remember Hammer House of Horrors?? A different horror movie every Saturday night, brilliant.

aye yeah, my oul lad would let us watch it because it was pretty shyte then one week every kid on the road was watching Salems lot and he wouldn't let us watch!! we were Pariahs next day playing High the rope and red rover...ah they didn't see salems lot they'd say!!

who's laughing now...who's laughing nowwwwwww!!!

I digress!! yea it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

rusty cole wrote: »
    aye yeah, my oul lad would let us watch it because it was pretty shyte then one week every kid on the road was watching Salems lot and he wouldn't let us watch!! we were Pariahs next day playing High the rope and red rover...ah they didn't see salems lot they'd say!!

who's laughing now...who's laughing nowwwwwww!!!

I digress!! yea it was good.

I remember one where the blood was pouring from the walls. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Glynnis Barber in Dempsey and Makepeace. Wooar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

In addition to their headscarves, women of my mother's generation often wore nylon overalls/housecoats, usually in hideous floral prints. You can see Hyacinth Bucket wearing one in some of the episodes of Keeping Up Appearances.

One of my distant American relatives actually thought they were some kind of a national costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Edgware wrote: »
    Glynnis Barber in Dempsey and Makepeace. Wooar!

she still looks really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

i used to love them ...peter cushing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Prince of Darkness was my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The millennials can't afford mortgages thread and the summation from some young wans that those in 80s and 70s had it easy because accommodation was cheaper has prompted me to post this.

When people bought houses or "flats" back in 70s or 80s they usually moved in with hand me downs and the basics.
    They didn't run to Harvey Norman, Meadows & Byrne, Ez Living, DFS to buy a load of stuff right away.
    There wasn't even an Ikea in Ireland and the most they ended up going for was Bargaintown.

And then check out the tax rates and the interest rates on mortgages in the 1970s and 1980s.

Most people working here didn't do or have any of the following:
    • go on any weekend breaks throughout Europe
    • there were no stag weekends to Barca or even Newcastle
    • usually didn't go on foreign holidays
    • a couple had one car if they had a car
    • the only ones with BMWs or Mercs were solicitors, accountants and fairly large business owners
    • the only new cars were Ford, Toyota, VW and the horrible Ladas or Skoda
    • there were no mobile phones that were to be replaced every other year they was no such thing as broadband
    • there was no internet to speak of to look up the weather in God knows where
    • to research school or college projects you went to a library
    • they didn't have tv subscription services with multiple channels 24 hours a day
    • didn't go out to dinner, unless you count eating at a takeway or something like a Macaris or Caffolas.

And these were the lucky ones that didn't have to fooking leave the country to find a job.
    And when you left you didn't drop home every year, you didn't get to facetime with the folks back home, you didn't get to email or whatsapp them.
    Hell they mightn't even have a phone to talk to them, so it was a handwritten letter in the post.

And people didn't go for a gap year to explore South East Asia and Australia. They went for fooking good, but they told themselves they would be back after a few years and they made some money to get a start at home.

When you got your leaving cert results you went on the p**s in the local town or area for the night, not off to Magaluf for a week.
    Of course that was assuming your weren't over in London already working.

If you went to college parking wasn't an issue because very very few students had a car, they made do with bicycles.

I thought the music was good and the fashion after the flair era wasn't too bad.
    The food wasn't great, the thought police that was the catholic church and it's lickspittles could try and grind you down if you were bothered, the media availability was shyte but you know what life was a bit simpler and some fooker couldn't plague you 24 hours 7 days a week over a device that is now meant to be carried at all times.

Kids lives were definitely better I think and even if you were bullied by some pr**cks at school or down the road, your home was safe and an escape from it.
    Nowadays the bullies can haunt someones every waking minute through social media.

Oh and there was no social media where amadans could find a platform to utter shyte and brag what a life they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

http://www.drugs.ie/resourcesfiles/research/2007/3863-4118.pdf

Read the above link. It doesn't quite settle the argument but it certainly suggests alcohol consumption has increased dramatically since the 80's.

" Alcohol consumption per adult increased from 9.8 litres of pure alcohol in 1987 to a
    high of 14.3 litres in 2001, a 46% increase. The period of the most rapid change was from
    the mid 1990s to 2001."

I honestly think young women drank far less back then.
    Also people married younger so drank less. Also less disposable income.
    Im sure theres many other factors at play.

There were a lot more total abstainers at that time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

http://www.drugs.ie/resourcesfiles/research/2007/3863-4118.pdf

Read the above link. It doesn't quite settle the argument but it certainly suggests alcohol consumption has increased dramatically since the 80's.

" Alcohol consumption per adult increased from 9.8 litres of pure alcohol in 1987 to a
    high of 14.3 litres in 2001, a 46% increase. The period of the most rapid change was from
    the mid 1990s to 2001."

I honestly think young women drank far less back then.
    Also people married younger so drank less. Also less disposable income.
    Im sure theres many other factors at play.

and has since dropped back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Pod123

The late late show had a quiz it wouldbe to send the answer in on a post card.no texting in the answer.
    The same show carried a lot of weight with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Born in the 60's so remember all the 70s and 80s really well.

Bad stuff:

- The church/state thing was as bad as you can possibly imagine and then even worse than that. We lived in fear.
    - The food was, in general, shyte. We were mostly all skinny as a result. Dinner was endured rather than enjoyed.
    - Dentists were horrifying places. Pain and blood was expected (and delivered)
    - Telly was (mostly) appalling. RTE was dismal beyond belief (search for 'Mart and Market' or 'The Riordans' on Youtube)
    - Showers were an unheard of luxury. We bathed once a week. We all must have been a bit smelly but nobody noticed really
    - Cars broke down. All the time. Everyone's Dad knew how to service his own car (if he had one)
    - We were beaten by teachers with leather straps, thick metal rulers and bamboo sticks (even when only aged 7 or 8). The complete absolute bastards.

Good Stuff:
    - People were (in general) kinder and there was a certain innocence that was genuinely nice
    - Kids of all ages played outside all day long with not a care in the world. We ran, jumped and skipped and were free.
    - The Dublin band and music scene was great
    - Discos, slow sets....oh joy!
    - Old people were treated with respect (getting there myself now)
    - Christmas was totally magical (even if you only got a second hand bike with scratches and a wobbly wheel (1976)
    - Mam's stayed at home and Dads went to work and nobody was particularly bothered about that. It usually worked out really well.

I sometimes get a bit teary eyed thinking about the freedom I felt just hopping off a 19 bus and heading into the city for a night out in the early 1980's. It was my time, I suppose. Life has never really been the same for me since.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jmayo wrote: »
    the only new cars were Ford, Toyota, VW and the horrible Ladas or Skoda

You forgot the sh!te Fiats that were all over the place. The retired next door neighbour bought a new 127 at the end of the 70s, he only drove it locally, gearbox went after a couple of years and after another couple it was riddled with rust. People bought them because they were cheaper but they were cheaper for a reason.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

one of my sisters has a funny story from the 1980s she was in college and her and her friends were stunned to discover that a student their age actually owned his own car to them that was the definition of mega-rich, both she and my brother went to work in Germany for the summers lots of students did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

You forgot the sh!te Fiats that were all over the place. The retired next door neighbour bought a new 127 at the end of the 70s, he only drove it locally, gearbox went after a couple of years and after another couple it was riddled with rust. People bought them because they were cheaper but they were cheaper for a reason.

and you forgot Renault... Renault 5 for the poor... Renault 18 for the rich. I cant remember the other numbers in between. God-damn UGLY cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

mariaalice wrote: »
    one of my sisters has a funny story from the 1980s she was in college and her and her friends were stunned to discover that a student their age actually owned his own car to them that was the definition of mega-rich, both she and my brother went to work in Germany for the summers lots of students did.

aaaahhhhh memories...Talkirken camp site in Munich. All we were good for was working in McDonalds as we hadn't a word of German. Talk about lack or preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

We'd an economy built on construction, which led to a recession when that collapsed. And fair play, the 1980's was the last time we made that mistake.

Condoms were illegal, because...church ...something something....
    AIDS was all the rage for some reason and everyone wanted a Kerry baby.

You were often reminded not to forget your shovel if you wanted to go to work because Sally O'Brien would look at you funny.

There was a nation wide movement to free a Nipper.

Jimmy Saville was the king of TV, not sure what happened to him.

Most of all we had Charles J. Haughey buying private Islands, helicopter companies, tailor made shirts, knocking boots with floosies, while telling us to tighten our belts.

Grand stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I sometimes get a bit teary eyed thinking about the freedom I felt just hopping off a 19 bus and heading into the city for a night out in the early 1980's. It was my time, I suppose. Life has never really been the same for me since.

Sargent Peppers was it? ;)

Advertisement