Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

road_high wrote: »
    The early 90s was when it all come to a head. All the church scandals we now know were exposed or about to be exposed and the sale of contraception deregulated.

In many ways the 90s kick started the world we live in now, much in the same way the 60s changed what had gone before (post war).

With the 90s we obviously had advancements in technology and IT, the internet, mobile phones etc, but we also had a loosening of the church's power, and more spending money (Celtic Tiger wasn't long to follow).

Everyone knows the 90s really started in 1989 when the Stone Roses came along. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

denismc wrote: »
    These days Serena Wiliams throwing strops on a tennis court is what passes for news, what dull times we live in.

...and news media actually had to come up with news items, rather than just cut-and-paste pointless rubbish from Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

mikemac2 wrote: »
    No different so to how people used to talk about the consumption (TB)

And if someone in your house had it people would judge you as if you were a dirty family and brought it on yerselves

That’s not for the 70’s/80’s though

I don’t buy that people blamed people for cancer. Maybe consumption.

Not being able to say the word is probably a fear of the word - the finality of the word - than blaming the victim.

In many ways the 90s kick started the world we live in now, much in the same way the 60s changed what had gone before (post war).

With the 90s we obviously had advancements in technology and IT, the internet, mobile phones etc, but we also had a loosening of the church's power, and more spending money (Celtic Tiger wasn't long to follow).

Everyone knows the 90s really started in 1989 when the Stone Roses came along. :)

I actually don’t remember much happening in the 90s. IT Technology wasn’t universal. In fact the 80s though I don’t remember all of it, there were more home computers than the 90s. And games. All died off.

Home computer companies then went bust and the it revolution didn’t become a home revolution until well into the naughties.

And mobiles were well late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Serana losing her temper at the us open, mean she was penalised and lost the final match.Thats a big sports story .It,s not fake news or trivia .
    As in the daily mail which seems to get lots of articles simply from looking at photos or posts that celebs put on facebook or twitter.
    In the 90s you could use modems to acess the web before high speed broadband was avaidable ,many homes had one pc which was used by everyone.
    A smartphone bought now is as powerful as a home pc from 1990.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Grayson wrote: »
    who died from diabetes

305988_60_news_hub_multi_750x0.jpg
    and note she was "mammy" not "mom"... ;)
    I actually don’t remember much happening in the 90s. IT Technology wasn’t universal. In fact the 80s though I don’t remember all of it, there were more home computers than the 90s. And games. All died off.

Home computer companies then went bust and the it revolution didn’t become a home revolution until well into the naughties.

True. Like I mentioned earlier I had "the internet" at home in '94 and I knew very very few people who had it, outside people who needed it for business/education. Mates would come and look at it and ooh and aah in wonder. :D A few had PC's at home by the mid 90's, only the very flush had Apple kit as it was very expensive. PC's were pretty expensive as it was. The Sinclairs, Commodores and the like of the late 70's early 80's home computer rage were in the 100-200 quid mark. Not cheap, but the desktop PC we think of now was at least double that and more likely triple. IIRC an Apple SE30 was nigh on 2000 punts.

Mobiles came from nowhere. From the house brick with an aerial very occasionally spotted in the 80's, then feck all until the mid 90's then by 2000 everyone and his dog had one. I knew a couple of people with pagers for work, but we largely bypassed them here as a private thing, unlike in the US where they were big for a time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

riclad wrote: »
    A smartphone bought now is as powerful as a home pc from 1990.
    A 2018 smartphone is far more powerful and can do so much more than any home PC from 1990. 2 megs of ram if you were lucky, compared to the gigs on the go now in phones.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Grayson wrote: »
    This describes the period 1980 - 1990

tayto.png

105-x-155-3p-Tayto-1.gif

105-x-155-6p-Salt-n-Vinegar-tayto.gif

105-x-155-8p-Tayto-Blue.gif

10p-Original-PaintingWEB.jpg
    Some of those are the price they were when i was in primary school so more 70s than 80's. I think only the 10p one is from the 80's

Wibbs wrote: »

True. Like I mentioned earlier I had "the internet" at home in '94 and I knew very very few people who had it, outside people who needed it for business/education. Mates would come and look at it and ooh and aah in wonder. :D A few had PC's at home by the mid 90's, only the very flush had Apple kit as it was very expensive. PC's were pretty expensive as it was. The Sinclairs, Commodores and the like of the late 70's early 80's home computer rage were in the 100-200 quid mark. Not cheap, but the desktop PC we think of now was at least double that and more likely triple. IIRC an Apple SE30 was nigh on 2000 punts.

Mobiles came from nowhere. From the house brick with an aerial very occasionally spotted in the 80's, then feck all until the mid 90's then by 2000 everyone and his dog had one. I knew a couple of people with pagers for work, but we largely bypassed them here as a private thing, unlike in the US where they were big for a time.

That’s generally right but there were no cheap PCs even disregarding Apple until the late 90s. All the cheap commodity home computer manufacturters went out of business. In 1985 the home computers were outselling pcs.

I bought my first new PC in, i think, 97 or 98 from gateway. cost me £3000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I had a mobile in 94

maccored wrote: »
    I had a mobile in 94

they didnt become really mainstream until eircell launched their GSM service in 98 which is when i got my first mobile. It has the amazing ability to receive texts but not send them. I wasnt bothered by that as i knew that sms lark would never catch on.

I remember the first time I made a call on one was 2002 and I was paranoid about waiting until nobody was around before calling. The first time I received a call on it I was so self-conscious I couldn't finish the call fast enough. "Yeahyeah okgrandthanks bye."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Mobiles got massive uptake from students in the late 97/98 onward.

Either BOI or AIB offered a deal when I went into college that when you opened an account I think you got a free phone.

I cant remember the exact details.

I just remember in school circa 1984 and on, we'd ask for "busty on ye" which means a prospective granny smith consumer, would take a few bites of his apple and then pass you the rest!!

Freddy mercury stopped all that!!!!:D

anyone with bleeding gums, (basically most kids) were virus carriers!!

ooohhh scary times!!:D

97 is still the 90s. :)

I was on usenet newsgroups in 1992. And I had my first email account in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Was born in 1972. From about the start of secondary school you pretty much assumed that you would have to leave the country to get a job.... Assuming the world wasn't nuked.

I remember when we got a colour TV (Well, remember renting a colour TV). Central heating consisted of a cat on yer bed. Remember when my sister rented a VCR in order to tape Live Aid and videotapes were about 6 quid each.

No phone but that was a decision by my father who didn't want one in the house so he wouldn't be called at home.... Was ahead of the curve there.

Lots of brown...... Everything was brown.

Yeah, it was pretty freakin' depressing. Nobody had a pot to p*ss in and don't believe all that "Ah but we were happy and everyone banded together" horsesh*te. It was miserable :)

Was born in 1972. From about the start of secondary school you pretty much assumed that you would have to leave the country to get a job.... Assuming the world wasn't nuked.

I remember when we got a colour TV (Well, remember renting a colour TV). Central heating consisted of a cat on yer bed. Remember when my sister rented a VCR in order to tape Live Aid and videotapes were about 6 quid each.

No phone but that was a decision by my father who didn't want one in the house so he wouldn't be called at home.... Was ahead of the curve there.

Lots of brown...... Everything was brown.

Yeah, it was pretty freakin' depressing. Nobody had a pot to p*ss in and don't believe all that "Ah but we were happy and everyone banded together" horsesh*te. It was miserable :)

YEs all of this and AIDS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭bullpost

That was my impression too, even at the time. There was a gulf between middle class Dubs and working class, but the gulf between Dublin/Cork/Galway and "The Country" was much larger. For one thing they were much more isolated from media. A captive audience. RTE was your lot as far as TV went(though radio gave you more)and if people think RTE today has a bias, bejesus it was more obvious then. A few years back I found an RTE Guide from the mid 70's and the references to the Church and input from priests in articles was eye opening. If you lived in Dublin or along the East coast, many people had either a dirty great aerial on their house, or had "the pipe" so you got the British TV channels which opened up your mental and cultural world. This tended to take away more of the Church and official state influence. There were fewer god botherers for a start. In the 80s when the satellite stuff was added to the mix again at the time I noticed a change in the cultural vibe.

Though it must be said, a lot of young people in places like Cork and Waterford were happy to bypass Dublin and head over to England to pick up their music, clothes , sport and other necessities. The ferries made this possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

begbysback wrote: »
    There was no drugs & people drank moderately?
    No, drugs were around in Ireland since the 60's esp in Dublin. Heroin became a big problem in the 70's and 80's.
    The introduction of heroin to ireland was more or less down to one Dublin drug dealer, a real scumbag. I can't remember his name but he just got released from prison about a year or two ago, and went abroad I think.

As for the drink, people were still getting pissed back then, my father split his time between work, pub and bookies and home in that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

One thing i remember from the 80's was visiting relatives, we had no phone and neither did a lot of others so you often turned up at their home and they were simply not in and we had no way of knowing when they would be back. The void of information is unthinkable now.

Sean Lock's "great British Sunday" show is pretty accurate about what it was like in the 70s and 80s. Relevant to Ireland as well.

https://dai.ly/x2g68h0

97 is still the 90s. :

The decade in general didn’t have much going on technology wise though.
    I was on usenet newsgroups in 1992. And I had my first email account in 1994.

All 10-20 years old technology at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

begbysback wrote: »
    There was no drugs & people drank moderately?

I mean in the rural west.
    I know there was a heroin problem in Dublin but certainly not in the rural west.
    Weed, coke etc were also confined to cities.

Now drugs are in every village and town.

People didn't drink to get drunk, it was to socialize.
    There wasn't so many shots, cocktails, jaegerbombs etc.
    People most drank Porter and beer, whiskey. Obviously you had drunks and hard drinking but not to the same level.
    You didn't see the mayhem you see on the streets nowadays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Anyone remember this?

"My name is Rashers, see?
    I've had these flashes, see?
    About the natural taste of bacon like it used to be!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Snapping off the tab on a VHS and sellotaping back over it when you regretted that decision and needed to record something.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

whitey1 wrote: »
    Haha....remember people used to plug the TV put every night before going to bed
    The state of ya man in the add..He looks in his forties but living and dressing like a old man ..40 was very old back then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Unemployed young men spending all day every day standing on the corner of the square in our village, because there was simply nothing else to day. Except Tuesdays, when they got their dole and spent all day in the pub. It was a miserable existence really.

Shotgun weddings and couples living with parents if they had room, or in a dilapidated caravan out the back while waiting to be allocated a council house. How many couples married only because of a pregnancy and lived the rest of their lives in regret?

Credit was unavailable to most. I remember "money clubs" at work. Each member would put in 5 pounds per week, and each week one member received the whole sum. It was one way to save.

A hen party was going for a couple of drinks with your female friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Those projector slides in Irish that you'd be forced to sit through in primary school. The artwork for the slide panels was fecking brutal.

hora-a-phid-ceacht-14-17-638.jpg?cb=1356009109

tr-na-ng-ceacht-02-1-638.jpg?cb=1364914233

hra-a-phid-ceacht-08-8-638.jpg?cb=1357225837

• Advertisement

Hall's Pictorial Weekly

hqdefault.jpg

Advertisement