Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

On a Sunday on RTE 2, there would have been opera in the afternoon, and a classical concert at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Massive. Saw them too in the point in '92. A very long set. 3 hours. But I loved the RDS Simmonscourt for all gigs. Saw Frankie Goes to Hollywood there too among others. Who remembers the National stadium for 80s gigs? I did Howard Jones and Clannad.

The Point '92 gig was excellent as well. Saw them at Hyde Park this summer - brilliant but felt cheated at 2 hours 15 minutes.

National Stadium - saw Suzanne Vega (1986), Pixies (1990), Morrissey (1991) there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

branie2 wrote: »
    On a Sunday on RTE 2, there would have been opera in the afternoon, and a classical concert at night.

Festival

and who remembers Cineclub on RTE2 - the chance of nudity

Festival

I think Cineclub might have shown Pasolini's The Gospel According to St. Matthew. No nudity there, I'm afraid.

The Beatbox with Barry Lang

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Both decades were, to my experience, marked by high unemployment and high interest rates.

I wouldn't go back to them for any reason.

Ive heard older people arguing that it was a better time, genuinely want to tell them to shut up
    Life now isnt even comparable to those times

The Sunday World had a section for children in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Sunday World had a section for children in the 80s.

And it did decent pub reviews

Edgware wrote: »
    And it did decent pub reviews

And still does

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Dunno if Barry Mcguigan was to blame but the 80's saw an awful lot of guys with tashes

• Advertisement

Dunno if Barry Mcguigan was to blame but the 80's saw an awful lot of guys with tashes

Kevin Webster in Corrie in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,187 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I remember the "video man", a lad who would drive around on a Thursday or Friday night with a van full of pirated VHS recordings of the latest cinema releases to rent for the week, quality was absolute sheite, you would see people walking around the cinema.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Yes this is from circa 1990 but it captures that particular 80's Irish moustache man to a tee

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I remember a few people looking down on people that got cancer as if they brought it on themselves and should be ashamed, some mentality that.

That's a bizarre mentality alright. I don't remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I remember a few people looking down on people that got cancer as if they brought it on themselves and should be ashamed, some mentality that.

That's a bizarre mentality alright. I don't remember that.
    The world "cancer" was never said out loud. It was mouthed " Bad news about Mary, she's riddled with..." mouths the cancer. And they were always "riddled". It was really treated like a shameful thing. Like you could catch it from talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Big Nasty wrote: »
    John, did you put the cat out?

Haha....remember people used to plug the TV put every night before going to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Public safety ads and the sheer brutal starkness of them! Where's Grandad? (Water safety along with a bunch of other ones featuring children drowning) and the "Don't stand near a gas heater or open fire wearing a synthetic night dress!"

Scared the crap out of me. There was no pussyfooting around. And they made you do as they said too!

Don’t forget the ones where little Timmy gets horrifically electrocuted whilst climbing an electricity pylon trying to retrieve his frisbee...

Remember the one advising women to get vaccinated against measeles mumps and rubella.

Then they showd a deaf kid (whos mum obviously didnt get vaccinated) and a nun in full garb screaming.....BAH....BAH.....BAH into his ear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I was born in early 80's and grew up in the rural west. Ireland has changed so much. Here's what I remember:

Cows on the main road blocking traffic, this was common. Only see it on boreens these days.
    Absolute bangers of cars on the road. Scrappage scheme in 95/96 changed this.
    There was a few horse/donkey and carts also.
    Cars packed with kids, up to 10, kids in the boot. No seatbelts.
    Hand me down clothes. Noone cared too much about fashion or trends too much.
    Lots of mullets and moustaches.
    When you went on a road trip you brought sandwiches and flask of tea, and ate it off the boot on the side of the road.
    Everyone went to mass. It was a social event really. You had your weekly bath and wore best clothes.
    Showers, microwaves, dishwashers, vcrs, electric kettles etc existed but not very common.
    Most people had a turf range and a shed full of turf. Horror stories of days in the bog.
    Priests were like demigods or rock stars. Very high status in the parish.

Lots of power cuts which were always exciting.
    Eating potatoes basically every day. The food was genuinely good.
    Lots of political scandals.
    The FF v FG rivalry seemed more vicious back then.
    The troubles in NI seemed so far away it didn't register that it was happening in the same country.
    Was never even in Dublin. Foreign countries seemed so so far away.
    People from different countries were very very different. Different music, culture, clothes etc.
    Now everything's homogenized.
    Boxes of clothes from family in USA which smelled like America.
    Quinnsworth for the big shop. Yellowpack was "Tesco value"
    Often saw drunks on the street with yellowpack lager.
    Pubs were more for men back then. Some pubs had a curtain separating women from men's area.
    My cousins would get fruit like apples and oranges from Santa. Not kidding.
    Dubs were very different to culchies back then. Way more urban and modern.

You met people at a time and place. Sometimes waited hours due to some mishap.
    Kids had unlimited freedom. The word pedo didn't exist.
    Visiting people's houses seemed like a big activity. That's what you did at weekends.
    Going to restaurants wasn't very common. There wasn't many restaurants or coffee shops.
    Only two tv channels. Late late, Eurovision, rose of Tralee, toy show, Irish soccer games were HUGE events. I'd say most of the country watched them.
    There seemed to be kids everywhere. Families of 7/8/9 kids were common enough.
    No such thing as divorce or separation.
    "Corner boys" hung around corners of villages and towns. I think these were lads on the dole.
    You never really knew how rich or poor anyone was. Everyone seemed the same.
    Lots of old school bachelor farmer types, always in wellies, drove tractor to mass, baler twine holding up pants.
    Paradoxically life seemed way more social back then. You made an effort to visit or meet people. You had no distractions and nothing else to do besides socializing.
    And when you met people you were very present. Knew neighbors better, relations. Lots of community activities which have died out. Knew everyone in the parish.
    There was no drugs and people drank more moderately.
    Seaside towns were mental in the summer. The place to be. Lots of people had a caravan somewhere.
    You followed an English soccer team but never actually saw them play.
    Houses were full of magazines and newspapers.
    Some old cottages on the inside looked like they hadn't changed since the 20's. Just an open fire, nothing modern.
    Things lasted longer, everything was fixed and repaired.
    Everyone was from a "normal" nuclear family. No single moms, divorcess, step dad's, etc. No gay people.
    In the cities there was "tribes" though such as punks, goths, grunge, metallers etc. That has completely died out.
    You could have long arguments over whether some fact was true or not with no way to verify.
    For us in the west everything changed around mid to late 90's. Perhaps 97/98. The early 90's were no different from the 80's really.
    New cars, computers, games consoles, mobiles, foreign food, foreign holidays, internet, sky tv, everyone going to college, very little emigration.

I won't say things were better back then but people definitely knew their extended families, neighbors, community etc better. There was simply nothing to do at home really. Maybe people were less anxious. Life might have had more meaning. I think there's a lot of emptiness, loneliness, isolation in modern society and our individualistic consumer capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Festival

Yes! A lot of foreign subtitled stuff and riiiiidin'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Kids had unlimited freedom....Yer mother would tell you to go off (rain hail or shine) and not come back til tea-time. would spend days messing in sandpits / around bog holes / derelict houses / farmers sheds etc. parents never looked for us or gave us any warnings about what not to do!!

When u think of it.... there should have been more injuries. Worse I got was falling off a tree and spraining my wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The Ann and Barry school books

who died from diabetes

305988_60_news_hub_multi_750x0.jpg

RTE got it mixed up a while back.
    http://www.dailyedge.ie/ann-and-barry-3642359-Oct2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Going shopping in Crazy prices....or was that the 90's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The world "cancer" was never said out loud. It was mouthed " Bad news about Mary, she's riddled with..." mouths the cancer. And they were always "riddled". It was really treated like a shameful thing. Like you could catch it from talking about it.

No different so to how people used to talk about the consumption (TB)

And if someone in your house had it people would judge you as if you were a dirty family and brought it on yerselves

That’s not for the 70’s/80’s though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Pirate radio was a big youth culture influence in 70's and 80's Ireland.

It started out with low power AM stations in the 70's that although very amateur, they played pop music that couldn't be heard on RTE at the time (just RTE radio, there was no Radio 2 (now 2FM) until 1979).

By the late 70's and early 80's, ex UK offshore radio people moved in on the scene from Radio Caroline and Radio North Sea International. Initially some of them got involved with the existing stations (Radio Dublin. ARD, Big D etc) but the game changer came in 1980 when ex Caroline DJ's Robbie Dale and Chris Cary set up Sunshine Radio in Portmarnock. Then followed the era of the Super Pirates with Nova, Energy 103, Q102 and others around the country like ABC Tramore, ERI in Cork and later Kiss in Monaghan.

It was a fun time to be young and listening to some of the most exciting radio in the world... here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

There was no drugs & people drank moderately?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"No gay people" - even though they were in plain sight in entertainment: Micheal Mac Liammor and the fella in Are You Being Served.

Going shopping in Crazy prices....or was that the 90's?

Say Quinnsworth / crazy prices and you're covered. Maybe add in a H Williams to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Kids appreciated toys , they got them at Christmas and Birthdays and then only a few items .
    Christmas was special and we got fizzy drinks and Club Milks and a box of Roses !

• Advertisement

This describes the period 1980 - 1990

tayto.png

105-x-155-3p-Tayto-1.gif

105-x-155-6p-Salt-n-Vinegar-tayto.gif

105-x-155-8p-Tayto-Blue.gif

10p-Original-PaintingWEB.jpg

Advertisement