Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer Campaign 2016 - The story continues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Gra11

Mpot2018 wrote: »
    Hello. I got a call last week offering me a job. Department of justice. Does anyone know how long I'll be waiting for clearance and reference etc to go through and when I'll get a start date? And also if that dept does flexi time? Tipp region? I want to figure out when to hand in notice. Also nervous of them calling my current employer I have to tell them tomorrow that pas will be in contact. Thanks

Vetting for DOJ is not as long as for the Guards. I sent mine back to PAS for DOJ around 6 Sept, they contacted my reference around 12 Sept, got my contract 3 October, got my assigned area 10 October with my start date and started on 30th October.

They do flexi time but it probably depends on your office.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I got notified in the first week of August that the first set of Garda Vetting was complete, and that I was now in the Special Vetting phase.
    No word as yet, so I rang yesterday.
    Not completed yet, they did admit it was very slow but said this was partly due to a large intake this summer, coupled with the "intensive level of investigation" to be undertaken on candidates.
    Seemingly this includes a comprehensive credit history examination?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Kaiya

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I got notified in the first week of August that the first set of Garda Vetting was complete, and that I was now in the Special Vetting phase.
    No word as yet, so I rang yesterday.
    Not completed yet, they did admit it was very slow but said this was partly due to a large intake this summer, coupled with the "intensive level of investigation" to be undertaken on candidates.
    Seemingly this includes a comprehensive credit history examination?

This is frustrating to hear.. into my 6th week of vetting so along way to go then. Have to go through the extra vetting process too. Was told should be approx 3 months in total.. Looking like it could be 6!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mpot2018

Gra11 wrote: »
    Vetting for DOJ is not as long as for the Guards. I sent mine back to PAS for DOJ around 6 Sept, they contacted my reference around 12 Sept, got my contract 3 October, got my assigned area 10 October with my start date and started on 30th October.

They do flexi time but it probably depends on your office.
    Thank you so much for the info. Surprised to hear how fast it moved. Have to give 6 weeks notice in work so thinking it may be best to hand in asap

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭podsull1

What station are ye going to , best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

What’s the Garda work actually like? What would you be doing on a daily basis?

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 43 slave77

Kaiya wrote: »
    This is frustrating to hear.. into my 6th week of vetting so along way to go then. Have to go through the extra vetting process too. Was told should be approx 3 months in total.. Looking like it could be 6!!!!

I got clearance yesterday after 14 weeks. It's a long haul... Hopefully yours won't take as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gambon

Hi. Does anyone know if there’s any truth that the bottom two payscales in CO position are going in March and we will be automatically moved up ???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gambon wrote: »
    Hi. Does anyone know if there’s any truth that the bottom two payscales in CO position are going in March and we will be automatically moved up ???

They are not being removed, you are skipping point 4 and point 8, so if you are currently on point 3 and are due an increment in 2019 after March you will go to point 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    What’s the Garda work actually like? What would you be doing on a daily basis?

Typing, filing, dealing with correspondence, you could be helping EOs with finance claims. It depends on which office you go into

• Advertisement

Typing, filing, dealing with correspondence, you could be helping EOs with finance claims. It depends on which office you go into

Hi Crunchymomma, are you a CO in a garda station?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

Mpot2018 wrote: »
    Hello. I got a call last week offering me a job. Department of justice. Does anyone know how long I'll be waiting for clearance and reference etc to go through and when I'll get a start date? And also if that dept does flexi time? Tipp region? I want to figure out when to hand in notice. Also nervous of them calling my current employer I have to tell them tomorrow that pas will be in contact. Thanks

Congrats. When I was offered job I asked them to hold off contacting my employer until my vetting was done. This took 4 weeks. They contacted my employer then. I had to do second stage of vetting also but they told me I could start the job while this was being done.

slave77 wrote: »
    Hi Crunchymomma, are you a CO in a garda station?

I was. I came in off this panel but am now an EO

Hi is there much difference in the work and pay

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

If you don’t mind me asking. How did you get to EO level so quickly? How long do you have to be a CO to apply for promotion?

podsull1 wrote: »
    Hi is there much difference in the work and pay

The biggest difference in work for me was that I am now signing my own work. Most COs in my experience are doing checks on things that need to be signed off on by someone else.

I don't hsve any staff but it is technically a junior management grade.

Difference in pay I think is about 70 a week but I cant remember exactly what I got as a CO

SB1982 wrote: »
    If you don’t mind me asking. How did you get to EO level so quickly? How long do you have to be a CO to apply for promotion?

I applied for th open EO while I was still waiting for placement as a CO.

If you meet the educational requirements you can apply to open whenever you want. For internal and interdepartmental you need two years service first

Thanks Crunchymomma and we'll done. Are you still in a Garda Station? Would you recommend clerical officer in garda station?

slave77 wrote: »
    Thanks Crunchymomma and we'll done. Are you still in a Garda Station? Would you recommend clerical officer in garda station?

I am still in a garda station.

Personally I hsve no real problem working in a GS. Initially I was disappointed as I feel that I would have preferred somewhere like revenue but I am pretty happy here now.

I will say though that it isn't for everyone. Some COs are dying to get out of AGS. For me I would take it every time VS turning it down and being off the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭miccy203

Hey all,
    I got a message from PAS to say I was assigned to the Dept of Justice in Tipp town and that someone would be in contact with regards to a start date. Would anyone know how long it could take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

miccy203 wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I got a message from PAS to say I was assigned to the Dept of Justice in Tipp town and that someone would be in contact with regards to a start date. Would anyone know how long it could take?

If you don’t mind me asking is this placement from 2018 panel or 2016 panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Annie K64

Hey all,

If you got the message today, you should get a phone call tomorrow. Have you been garda vetted?

SB1982 wrote: »
    If you don’t mind me asking is this placement from 2018 panel or 2016 panel?
    No problem, It's for the 2016 panel.

Annie K64 wrote: »
    If you got the message today, you should get a phone call tomorrow. Have you been garda vetted?

Yep the garda vetting went through Friday morning and then got the message from PAS Friday evening. So it shouldn't be to long at all then! :-)

Yep the garda vetting went through Friday morning and then got the message from PAS Friday evening. So it shouldn't be to long at all then! :-)

Well done & best of luck!

Did anyone get called for Garda station in kerry yet ,friends wa ye to know what it’s like or how many got in for kerry as they are looking for a few ,

Annie K64 wrote: »
    Well done & best of luck!
    Thank you. Just one more question. Do you get paid every fortnight or monthly?

Weekly!

You don't get paid the first week but you get 2 weeks pay the 2nd week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

2 years, 5 months later :-)
    That was a seriously long road, I hope the drop in pay will be worth the move in the long term.

I am pleased to inform you that following the selection process for the above-mentioned campaign
    you are being assigned to a position in An Garda Siochana, Limerick.
    The Personnel Section of that Department will be in touch with you shortly in relation to your assignment,
    including details of the location you should report to and your start date. If you have any enquiries with regard to your appointment.

Just a passenger

Advertisement