Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer Campaign 2016 - The story continues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MegX

If you accept position from this panel can you put in for a transfer straight away after starting or do you have to wait til probation is over? Or does it all depend on dept? Thought someone had this query before but can't find it or answer. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

MegX wrote: »
    If you accept position from this panel can you put in for a transfer straight away after starting or do you have to wait til probation is over? Or does it all depend on dept? Thought someone had this query before but can't find it or answer. TIA

You can apply for mobility immediately but you won't be eligible for a transfer for two years

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Blu2015

Would anyone have an idea how many were appointed from the 2016 panel in leitrim and sligo. I got my oom today for 2018 panel and just want an idea to see will my placed. Any help would be appreciated. Done interview in Jan for 2016 panel and have given up hope on that at this stage 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MegX

Quote Crunchymomma
    You can apply for mobility immediately but you won't be eligible for a transfer for two year

Thanks Crunchymomma. Just couldn't remember whether it was 1 or 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Betty10

I was wondering the same for Leitrim. Got OOM & wondering what are chances of a job this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Waiting16

I see the Stage 2 results are out for 2018. Guess thats almost the end of 2016 panel. Best of luck to all, hard to get so near and yet no job. Dont expect to get anything now. Seems strange to bring so many to Dublin if there arent many jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Blu2015 wrote: »
    Would anyone have an idea how many were appointed from the 2016 panel in leitrim and sligo. I got my oom today for 2018 panel and just want an idea to see will my placed. Any help would be appreciated. Done interview in Jan for 2016 panel and have given up hope on that at this stage ��

This is my take on the process.

For all those counties with smaller annual intakes, you're going to have to get a score in the online exam within the first 100 places ( to get to stage 2)
    In Stage 2 Supervised exam, you are going to have to improve your placing to within the top 15 or 20 to stand any chance of getting a job .And pass the interview stage, obviously.
    So practice, practice, practice those mathemathical questions till you're shìt-hot on them, to get as many answered in the time allocated.

I dont know how many places were filled in Cavan in the 2016 campaign, but they only used up 18 candidates.
    And of those 18, half may have refused,got other jobs?, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kmhgallagher7

Same in Laois. I was no 25 and thought I would be almost gaurenteed a job but just got in lady month... 1 job since April. Of the 25 places moved there were actually only 9 jobs.

Would anyone know what number they got to in Leitrim ? Had a look through this thread but can’t see anything much about Leitrim. Wondering did anyone get a job in Leitrim from 2016 campaign.

Betty10 wrote: »
    Would anyone know what number they got to in Leitrim ? Had a look through this thread but can’t see anything much about Leitrim. Wondering did anyone get a job in Leitrim from 2016 campaign.

Ring the PAS and ask, they are usually happy to tell you.

• Advertisement

Will do that, thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Did anyone receive a call from their manager before the start date with the specifics for their role?
    The man who sent me out my contract said my line manager would be in touch but I'm starting Monday and heard nothing.
    Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

deise_girl wrote: »
    Did anyone receive a call from their manager before the start date with the specifics for their role?
    The man who sent me out my contract said my line manager would be in touch but I'm starting Monday and heard nothing.
    Is this normal?

I didn't hear anything until I went in on my first day

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I didn't hear anything until I went in on my first day

Thanks for relieving me off my last min jitters! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭busy_mom

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    This is my take on the process.

For all those counties with smaller annual intakes, you're going to have to get a score in the online exam within the first 100 places ( to get to stage 2)
    In Stage 2 Supervised exam, you are going to have to improve your placing to within the top 15 or 20 to stand any chance of getting a job .And pass the interview stage, obviously.
    So practice, practice, practice those mathemathical questions till you're shìt-hot on them, to get as many answered in the time allocated.

I dont know how many places were filled in Cavan in the 2016 campaign, but they only used up 18 candidates.
    And of those 18, half may have refused,got other jobs?, etc.

OMG .. only 18 - there must have been some big numbers transferring in from other regions. You never know with Brexit looming we may need Customs offices set up along the border, they would need CO's (we can but dream :rolleyes:)

busy_mom wrote: »
    OMG .. only 18 - there must have been some big numbers transferring in from other regions. You never know with Brexit looming we may need Customs offices set up along the border, they would need CO's (we can but dream :rolleyes:)

I dont think its people transferring in, its just no-one retiring.

There are few things I'd like less than being a Customs Officer on a back road on the Fermanagh or Armagh border trying to stop a load smuggled diesel being run by a paramilitary .....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/paul-quinn-murder-there-was-nothing-left-of-paul-to-fix-after-ira-beating-1-8206039/amp&ved=2ahUKEwjSvtWTm8zdAhXCL8AKHYa8D2AQFjADegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1xsfxR0IIgLtLuGZvFGLRp&ampcf=1

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭busy_mom

There are few things I'd like less than being a Customs Officer on a back road on the Fermanagh or Armagh border trying to stop a load smuggled diesel being run by a paramilitary .....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/paul-quinn-murder-there-was-nothing-left-of-paul-to-fix-after-ira-beating-1-8206039/amp&ved=2ahUKEwjSvtWTm8zdAhXCL8AKHYa8D2AQFjADegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1xsfxR0IIgLtLuGZvFGLRp&ampcf=1

You misunderstood, I didn't say Customs Officer, I said a CO in their "office" and yes I agree it will be tragic to see that scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

deise_girl wrote: »
    Is this normal?

After I started work my manager told me that she had asked HR for a contact number for me just to introduce herself and tell me about the role etc. but HR wouldn’t disclose any of my details for data protection reasons. I’d imagine that’s why your line manager hasn’t been in touch.

Good luck in your new role.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭tanolo1

Betty10 wrote: »

Nobody has been recruited from this panel for Leitrim - not one person 😩

Blu2015 wrote: »
    Would anyone have an idea how many were appointed from the 2016 panel in leitrim and sligo. I got my oom today for 2018 panel and just want an idea to see will my placed. Any help would be appreciated. Done interview in Jan for 2016 panel and have given up hope on that at this stage 😢

Nobody from 2016 panel placed for Leitrim ... not sure about Sligo

• Advertisement

tanolo1 wrote: »
    Nobody from 2016 panel placed for Leitrim ... not sure about Sligo

If you were applying again, would you go for Roscommon or Sligo instead, or in addition to Leitrim?
    If you got Boyle or even Roscommon town, you could apply for a transfer after a couple of years. Might mean a 30 or 40 mile commute each way in the meantime.

If you were applying again, would you go for Roscommon or Sligo instead, or in addition to Leitrim?
    If you got Boyle or even Roscommon town, you could apply for a transfer after a couple of years. Might mean a 30 or 40 mile commute each way in the meantime.

I’m in Longford the last few years but I know of people on the panel for Leitrim. If I were u I would def apply for other options than Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Roscommon had between 2-4 people placed in the previous campaign, not sure the number for 2016 though.

Thanks for the info re Leitrim, disappointing to hear nobody at all recruited in 2016 campaign but maybe things will improve this time round. Surely there are vancancies there, are they just filling them all with transfers ?? Anyone know how the panel vs transfer list works when filling a vacancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭chillmad

Finally placed in Kildare! Interviewed in Jan, there have been 40 people in front of me ever since! About a month ago there were still 20 something still in front of me, phone call last Thursday, Garda vetting and references done and completed by yesterday and received a confirmation email yesterday saying that HR would be in contact with the details, absolutely delighted as I had completely given up hope of being placed during this competition and I hadn't the stomach to do it all again for 2018! Good luck to everybody still waiting, you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Catalan69

chillmad wrote: »
    Finally placed in Kildare! Interviewed in Jan, there have been 40 people in front of me ever since! About a month ago there were still 20 something still in front of me, phone call last Thursday, Garda vetting and references done and completed by yesterday and received a confirmation email yesterday saying that HR would be in contact with the details, absolutely delighted as I had completely given up hope of being placed during this competition and I hadn't the stomach to do it all again for 2018! Good luck to everybody still waiting, you never know!
    Congrats

Nice one. best of luck with the job.

Nice one, best of luck with the job

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Blu2015

Catalan69 wrote: »
    Congrats
    Congratulations well done x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Gambon

I got placement today in exactly where I was hoping for. I’m delighted. Handed in my notice in my current job and reference cleared. Woohoo !!

Advertisement