Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilian Big Brother UK 2018 (1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Am I the only one who prefers civilian BB to the celeb version?

I just think it's closer to the original and also like getting to watch strangers than those who already have a public persona and media training.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m sorry that me and IBC have ruined your thread already guys with the filth

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Don't lie , you aren't one bit sorry Anna :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

BBFAN wrote: »
    Makes you wonder when it's the show that gets the highest ratings on Channel 5 why on earth are they letting it go?

It goes back to cost. C5 make their money selling advertising space in the breaks (plus sponsorship from the likes of boohoo.com). The amount an ad agency or media agency is willing to pay for each 10, 20 or 30 second slot is dictated by the number of viewers. Basically the advertisers are paying an amount for each pair of eyes on the ad. On C4, BB and CBB would pull in 4 to 5 million viewers. Accordingly, they could charge more for slots in the commercial breaks. C5 typically get 1.6m to 2m viewers.

So if Endemol ask the same amount of C5 as they asked of C4, then C5 are already deeper in a hole and have to work much harder to make it profitable. The current agreement was up this year and obviously C5 and Endemol couldn't make it work for a new agreement. Thing is, if it goes onto a Dave or Bravo type channel (I think Bravo would br a good fit), Endemol would still have to trim their asking price because average viewership of a satellite channel is going to be smaller still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I think it's terrible that Channel 5 announced it today of all days. It's probably taken the hype out of it for the staff, let alone the audience. I think it's really rotten.

These twitter posts sums it up:
    https://twitter.com/nickw84/status/1040553657882890240
    nickw84
    Proof positive that Channel 5 absolutely hated Big Brother by doing that announcement on the day of the launch episode.
    https://twitter.com/TobyonTV/status/1040556680457736192
    TobyonTV
    nickw84
    Just over a year after Ben Frow said he wanted it gone, wallop
    Yes, it's Richard Osman from Pointless

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1040557001787498496
    richardosman
    TobyonTVnickw84
    So embarrassingly rude to a team of people working their socks off for him.
    https://twitter.com/TobyonTV/status/1040557281778298882
    TobyonTV
    richardosmannickw84
    Yeah, I feel for them - a massive and dedicated team.
    https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1040557671504592896
    richardosman
    TobyonTVnickw84 It’s just not how you behave in these situations.
    https://twitter.com/nickw84/status/1040558324574547968
    nickw84
    richardosmanTobyonTV
    Could have had all these lovely retrospectives about the show's place in TV history in the build-up. Feels like a rug's been pulled.
    https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1040559203813867522
    richardosman
    nickw84TobyonTV
    The full story will come out one day! Meanwhile, it’ll be nice to get BB on a new platform which can handle a proper old-skool 24-hour streaming ‘Big Brother’.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who prefers civilian BB to the celeb version?

I just think it's closer to the original and also like getting to watch strangers than those who already have a public persona and media training.

I loved when Hughie Maughan was in it , or the series where the poor chap got so many spray tans :D

I hate to say it, but when the show first came out, I was one of those who did watch the live stream online of people sleeping and occasionally getting up to go for a piss. It was edge-of-the-toilet-seat stuff I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

No you’re not

Richard Osman <3

• Advertisement

Not to mention the midnight duvet ghost of Ray Shah, leaving a trail of ectoplasm behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Me head is going to be spinning trying to remember everyone's name, I'll be all like.... 'who's that you're talking about, is that the one with the red hair or is that your man in the same dressing gown since day 1' .. I'll be an annoying fook! Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I was wondering all evening why everyone was posting in the celebrity big brother thread and I only just now realised it says Civilian, not celebrity. I'm a dope.

neonsofa wrote: »
    I was wondering all evening why everyone was posting in the celebrity big brother thread and I only just now realised it says Civilian, not celebrity. I'm a dope.

Yes this is the civilian thread where we all have a civil duty to be civil to another so no bad language this series please neonsofa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Yes this is the civilian thread where we all have a civil duty to be civil to another so no bad language this series please neonsofa

How much have you had already?

Deco , we forgot that this means your job will be gone after this series too , so sorry :(

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Actually going to be able to watch launch night live!

Also, if you think your Friday has been weird - I got added to a Snapchat group chat to organise an orgy. And it's not even Tuesday!!

deco nate wrote: »
    How much have you had already?

Shut up!!

giphy.gif

Liordi wrote: »

Also, if you think your Friday has been weird - I got added to a Snapchat group chat to organise an orgy. And it's not even Tuesday!!

Add me please.

What’s the snap code? Asking for a brither x

• Advertisement

Add me please.

To the snapchat or the orgy or both :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Deco , we forgot that this means your job will be gone after this series too , so sorry :(

:D
    Ah no worries, have a job lined up on c4;) :D

You’re welcome

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    To the snapchat or the orgy or both :D

Have to see the pics first before I commit to the orgy. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

What’s the snap code? Asking for a brither x

That would make for a very different orgy. :o

Deco and Skipper , not HH but .....

giphy.gif

If this is Civilian BB maybe I can trick Mack into watching it by telling him it’s CBB. He wouldn’t know if most of them are celebs or not anyway.

Add me please xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Evening All!

Think I will watch this alright. BB is nonsense but it's enjoyable at the end of the day and this thread is great craic. I thought that the 10pm start time would be a negative but with a lot of midweek football over the next 2 months it could be ideal.

I just checked through wiki and the only season of civilian BB I watched a lot of was season 2 which Brian Dowling won. I was a J1-er for Big Brother 1.

I definitely saw a fair bit of season 3 which Kate Lawler won and Jade Goody was on, but I don't think I have even seen an episode of any other one.

Seeing as it's the last one, I feel that now the circle is complete. And if Channel 5 truly strike down Big Brother then this thread, and the posters on it, will become more powerful than they can possibly imagine.

• Advertisement

Ah here we go, first time watching regular BB since the channel 4 days!!!

Advertisement