Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The whole bidding process was a farce, the way they’d to be bailed out, returned then again with the begging bowl and oh the organisation skills to hold a opening cermony in a place called the swamp in winter

So just another dig

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

So just another dig

You originally said “All events are cancelled at the moment due to a global pandemic” Galway2020 massively contracted because of mis management and incompetence before the current restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You originally said “All events are cancelled at the moment due to a global pandemic” Galway2020 massively contracted because of mis management and incompetence before the current restrictions

And another dig

And another dig

Welcome to boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A new thread can be created when this actually goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since this article has appeared this thread is again open (rather than a new thread).

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0430/1135908-galway-2020/
    Salvageable Galway 2020 events to be funded by Govt

Now, the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht has committed to funding any productions from the initial programme, which can be rescheduled for the latter part of this year or in the early months of 2021.

All decisions on future programming will be subject to the ongoing efforts to tackle the spread of Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Would they not be better off grasping the sliver of a silver lining of Covid19 and letting this thing slip quietly out of mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Ficheall wrote: »
    Would they not be better off grasping the sliver of a silver lining of Covid19 and letting this thing slip quietly out of mind?

From what I can gather, the funding will go to the Irish projects and local Artists. Because of the Covid19 situation many of them have lost other projects and things are lean so, in my case certianly, it will go to local artists and really help them financially....

Astonishing the way people want this to fail so much. I can’t imagine any other city in Europe having people treat what is a great honour and opportunity with such distain.

Greaney wrote: »
    From what I can gather, the funding will go to the Irish projects and local Artists. Because of the Covid19 situation many of them have lost other projects and things are lean so, in my case certianly, it will go to local artists and really help them financially....
    Fair then - I hope the artists who put time and effort into this do get some recompense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Greaney wrote: »

Far more likely to dissappear somewhere in the pipeline before it reaches any local artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,853 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anything going on with ECOC?
    Has the company been wrapped up? Do they still employ staff?

zell12 wrote: »
    Anything going on with ECOC?
    Has the company been wrapped up? Do they still employ staff?

They've cut down their staff but they're still going, winding down I would say...

Their Galway2020 webpage still has action. I was to do a project, and they've to get back to me.... I'm not holding my breath though. To be honest, we may just have to tie it up with the funding so far, which will leave a legacy, which is what they wanted, but not a big event :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I did hear that as part of ECOC, there had been some kind of licenses issued to allow pubs on Domnick street to setup tables on the streets during the summer months. I heard from a publican that they still plan to go ahead with that, makes more sense to drink outdoors these days anyway.

It’s beyond embarrassing at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭ratracer

Someone at a high level clinging on to the last of the gravy train???

Just let it go away, peacefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Lots of sticky fingers in the honey pot

ingalway wrote: »
    Lots of sticky fingers in the honey pot

Mayor of Galway Mike Cubbard says the city deserves the extension.

No, no we don’t

Mayor of Galway Mike Cubbard says the city deserves the extension.

No, no we don’t

Why not? A lot of people were looking forward to the events and the buzz and it would be nice to get some of that next year if the virus allows (which may be unlikely).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A lot of artists will lose out on showing work already made.

Some won't get paid for proposed projects. It would be good to salvage some things.

Small Towns Big Ideas is going ahead. Almost all of those projects are using 'local' artists. We've discovered we have our 'full' budget and we (local creators) are meeting up this morning to re-work our piece. The brief was to try not to do an all online peice (internet fatigue is setting in) and to work within covid guidelines. It's a good opportunity for artist to work. Small Budget in the first place mind.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Absoulatey disgraceful waste of tax payers money

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-2020-has-spent-e18-million-to-date/

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Absoulatey disgraceful waste of tax payers money

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-2020-has-spent-e18-million-to-date/

And no one held accountable, asked Catherine Connolly about this when she was campaigning and gave the most waffley answer I’ve ever heard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 leocullensface

I was looking forward to visiting this

The reimagined programme, which will take place from September 2020 to March 2021, will include both live and digital components, offering audiences the possibility to attend events in person, or experience elements of the programme online from home.
    https://galway2020.ie/en/news/galway-2020-reimagined-programme-announced/

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The reimagined programme, which will take place from September 2020 to March 2021, will include both live and digital components, offering audiences the possibility to attend events in person, or experience elements of the programme online from home.

And all for the bargain price of 18 million (to date?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭saabsaab

This 2020 was cursed. It started badly, got worse and ended in disaster. Hope it goes better next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

saabsaab wrote: »
    This 2020 was cursed. It started badly, got worse and ended in disaster. Hope it goes better next time.

What next time???
    I have huge sympathy for those organising and taking part in events that have been cancelled but I'd say the 2020 board are secretly breathing a sigh of relief.

Advertisement