Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture

Options

Comments

I find it disappointing the attitude towards galway 2020. I know I (along with family members and some friends too) was looking forward to going along to different events that would be held over the summer etc in the city but also around the county. It would have brought an extra buzz to the city over the summer which is always nice.

We were all on for attending the opening too which would have been a very nice evening had the weather played ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

I find it disappointing the attitude towards galway 2020. I know I (along with family members and some friends too) was looking forward to going along to different events that would be held over the summer etc in the city but also around the county. It would have brought an extra buzz to the city over the summer which is always nice.

We were all on for attending the opening too which would have been a very nice evening had the weather played ball.

The problem nox ... Is it joins a long list of epic fails that have cost the taxpayers of galway a huge amount of money that SHOULD BE SPENT WISELY !!!
    (1) eyre square development
    (2) Volvo ocean race finale
    (3) Pallas cinema overspend
    (4) shop street cobble stones fiasco
    .... I'm all for galway getting events ...
    It's in my interest to have as many events as possible ...
    But after all these years , you would think by now ,
    we would at the very least be professional at organising same events !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The problem nox ... Is it joins a long list of epic fails that have cost the taxpayers of galway a huge amount of money that SHOULD BE SPENT WISELY !!!

Don’t forget the underwhelming Christmas market

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

I for one welcome the C&AG audit coming up

While I agree to some extent with 1, 3 and 4 I can't fathom how you have the ocean race mentioned? I look back on the two times the ocean race came as two of the best weeks I've ever had in Galway or anywhere for that matter. Absolutely brilliant events that made a fortune for the city.

I had no issue with the H2020 plans or the money being spent on it, why shouldn't money be spent on an event like this?

• Advertisement

While I agree to some extent with 1, 3 and 4 I can't fathom how you have the ocean race mentioned? I look back on the two times the ocean race came as two of the best weeks I've ever had in Galway or anywhere for that matter. Absolutely brilliant events that made a fortune for the city.

I?

I’m glad your enjoyed the Volvo ocean race, I’m sure you and all your friends enjoyed many a session in the pubs who were one of the few to make money. The organisers refused to pay a lot of small business and to this day still owe a lot of debt

• Registered Users Posts: 25,787 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I’m glad your enjoyed the Volvo ocean race, I’m sure you and all your friends enjoyed many a session in the pubs who were one of the few to make money. The organisers refused to pay a lot of small business and to this day still owe a lot of debt

Indeed.

One of the early problems that G2020 organisers faced was that no one would give them credit, because so many got burned by the VOR experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jam83 wrote: »
    This thing getting pulled because of the coronavirus would be a blessing in disguise because the crowd in charge are making a mess of it. It could save Galway getting a bad name because of the clowns in charge. A bullet could be dodged yet if the plug is pulled.

Its sad its effectively cancelled but yeah its not hard to see the silver lining either.

An auditor should be sent in straight away to ensure there is no funny business with what ever remains in the accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Some of the ECOC2020 banners have been taken down, on Quinncentennial Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Project cursed from the beginning.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Project cursed from the beginning.

Just badly organised and ran

I predicated it from the offset

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Just badly organised and ran

I predicated it from the offset

What? The pandemic disease that's crippled the world?
    Fair dues.

Fair dues.

Galway 2020 Capital of Culture Catastrophic Collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Muahahaha wrote: »
    An auditor should be sent in straight away to ensure there is no funny business with what ever remains in the accounts.

It's not cancelled entirely, that I'm aware of!! There's still projects to go in the Autumn & winter.... Our community project is in October. We hadn't planned on getting stuck in till early June! And even then, we had done some pre production before the lock down so we'd still be able to deliver if we didn't get started til mid August

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Hope ye get the go ahead Greaney.
    The organizers mightn't be worth a damn, but a lot of people put a lot of time and effort into their project's. Would be a shame to see it wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Hope ye get the go ahead Greaney.
    The organizers mightn't be worth a damn, but a lot of people put a lot of time and effort into their project's. Would be a shame to see it wasted.

Well the way the funding worked was we got a certian % before we started, and we'd get the remainder funding on finishing, I still have a wee bit from the smaller traunch so I'm keen to at least tick the 'legacy' box of the work I wanted to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Fair dues.

Seems to have been badly run well before Covid 19 arrived in Ireland. Launch event in the swamp in February? I wonder did they look into how often that historically would have been able to go ahead, would be confident that weather wasn’t an aberration by historical standards.

Also failed to raise private sector funding/sponsorship and were in financial difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Wasnt the launch cancelled because of a storm? Id say the only chance of any events happening might be the Halloween Weekend and that will be greatly cutback

Wasnt the launch cancelled because of a storm? Id say the only chance of any events happening might be the Halloween Weekend and that will be greatly cutback

There's events planned through to next January.

That's if the government funding isn't redirected to other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's also been small projects (some community, some public) going since the end of last year. Time will tell if the autumn ones get to go ahead. For the sake of friends who invested lots of time in them I hope they do.

• Advertisement

I'm one of the participants involved in a large scale G2020 event planned for December.

Today we got an email giving us resources to start working on learning our material at home.

Sure, there's still a risk it could cancel, for either funding or COVID-19 related reasons. But I'm still going to start working on the stuff, and I suspect given the breadth and calibre of the organisers that it will go ahead if it possibly can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I'm one of the participants involved in a large scale G2020 event planned for December.

Today we got an email giving us resources to start working on learning our material at home.

Sure, there's still a risk it could cancel, for either funding or COVID-19 related reasons. But I'm still going to start working on the stuff, and I suspect given the breadth and calibre of the organisers that it will go ahead if it possibly can.

Hopefully...
    I wonder if some small scale events will get a green light at a particular point e.g. July onwards whether across cultural or sporting areas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

youngrun wrote: »
    Hopefully...
    I wonder if some small scale events will get a green light at a particular point e.g. July onwards whether across cultural or sporting areas

Possibility of something going ahead later in the year

https://connachttribune.ie/council-chief-rows-back-on-galway-2020-wind-down-comment/

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

What's the craic with things apparently only planned to kick off in June? Wasn't this supposed to be a whole year of events to showcase the city. next week we'll be told arah sure tis grand, we were only planning on throwing on a couple of events in Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

pure.conya wrote: »
    What's the craic with things apparently only planned to kick off in June? Wasn't this supposed to be a whole year of events to showcase the city. next week we'll be told arah sure tis grand, we were only planning on throwing on a couple of events in Dec

You must be trolling now. All events are cancelled at the moment due to a global pandemic .

You must be trolling now. All events are cancelled at the moment due to a global pandemic .

Have you not been following the comedy show that is Galway2020

Right now there are no events taking place.

But there seems events scheduled right thru until January. Decisions about them will be made closer to each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Have you not been following the comedy show that is Galway2020

Are you suggesting they should be holding mass events during the pandemic?while also complaining that people travelled to supermacs? or are you just throwing in a dig at them for no reason?

pure.conya wrote: »

You really are not good at this trolling lark

There were 40 events planned for Feb-Apr alone

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting they should be holding mass events during the pandemic?while also complaining that people travelled to supermacs? or are you just throwing in a dig at them for no reason?

The whole bidding process was a farce, the way they’d to be bailed out, returned then again with the begging bowl and oh the organisation skills to hold a opening cermony in a place called the swamp in winter

Advertisement