Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

We should absolutely fund the arts and these cultural events. But every event that receives public money should have their full accounts visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

flazio wrote: »
    So you reckon it should have been a paid ticketed event like Glastonbury and Electric Picnic rather than a free public event?

No reason why not. People would happily pay for a big firework display, well known musicians etc. Is Art only valid if it's free ?

That's a really silly position. There will ALWAYS be something. Health, education, homeless, economy, infrastructure etc etc etc.

By your position, there would never be a penny going to the arts, ever

Of course there would. But not millions on vanity projects. That amount could fund a vast amount of community art throughout the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Discodog wrote: »
    That amount could fund a vast amount of community art throughout the County.

I'm interested as to what legacy the year's city of culture is going to leave. Hope it is going to somehow feed back into nurturing a local art community but not sure it's going to.
    Not sure to what extent the Arts Festival actually feeds back into creating/nurturing local art beyond paying something towards some galleries. & bringing people to Galway.
    Would like to hear there was some lasting legacy in terms of how spending on local art, as in helping a diverse group of people become creative.

I'm also wondering what the story is on the materials/set up that were going to be deployed last night. Is anything salvageable/reusable or was everything written off as soon as it wasn't going to be used specifically last night.
    Assuming things survived the storm anyway Really hoping that the legacy of last night is not going to be households around the Claddagh having to remove soaking detritus from their gardens when it wasn't used for original purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Of course there would. But not millions on vanity projects. That amount could fund a vast amount of community art throughout the County.

even build a few more houses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

No reason why not. People would happily pay for a big firework display, well known musicians etc. Is Art only valid if it's free ?

Who in their right mind would pay to see fireworks when you could see them for free around the City and long walk etc

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would pay to see fireworks when you could see them for free around the City and long walk etc

Hundreds of thousands do in the Uk every year & I wouldn't use South Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    We should absolutely fund the arts and these cultural events. But every event that receives public money should have their full accounts visible.

That'd be standard. Grants are hard work to secure. To get funding (Arts or otherwise) one has to be fully accountable. It takes ages to fill out the forms, pull together all of the documentiation to support the application, and submit the lot.

The supporting documentation includes...
    *Bank account details and account information to show how much money they have in thier account already (for match funding etc.)
    *Public Liability insurance
    * A budget breakdown with attached quotes from suppliers etc. to prove the costs are actual.
    * Letters of support from venues etc.
    * Information on any other funding streams
    * Estimates & letters of support re; ones own fundraising effords
    *Both individuals and organisations have to have a tax clearence number to prove their tax affairs are in order.

You can imagine, If you don't secure the grant, it can be soul destroying work applying for them.

I speak from experience... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

I am actually livid about this cancellation and how they did not see it coming, or something like it.

Why not have it set up so that the assets could be held for 5 days with an option to reschedule!? The chance of a storm over 2/3 days is low. How was this not foreseen as very likely!? The sheer incompetence is baffling.

Also, looking at the events over the year, a vast majority are ticketed. So, where exactly is the 40 million euro going? That is an astonishing amount of money when you think about it. Is the majority going to subsidising these events? Surely there is a breakdown as to where the cash flow is going.

I am actually livid about this cancellation and how they did not see it coming, or something like it.

Why not have it set up so that the assets could be held for 5 days with an option to reschedule!? The chance of a storm over 2/3 days is low. How was this not foreseen as very likely!? The sheer incompetence is baffling.

Also, looking at the events over the year, a vast majority are ticketed. So, where exactly is the 40 million euro going? That is an astonishing amount of money when you think about it. Is the majority going to subsidising these events? Surely there is a breakdown as to where the cash flow is going.

Another Orange warning in place for tomorrow and the week ahead is very unsettled so no point in holding over as it just would not happen

• Advertisement

The Sunday times quoted the chief executive Patricia Philbin saying that they had a "level of insurance in relation to cancellations" which I presume means that they hope to recoup a portion of the money.

She also said that some of the elements of the opening ceremony might be incorporated during other events during the year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The Council has rejected Galway2020's application for an additional €2.5m

Just on radio there saying some of their events will now have to be cut back or abandoned after the Council are not giving them more funding. Turning into a big mess.

Last week they said this was for additional events beyond what was in the program...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Galway2020 received criticism from EU that the programme of events wasn't european enough, it was too local

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Anyone know what councillors voted which way? I can see Donal Lyons and Noel Larkin were in favour of allocating the funds from GBFM

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Last week they said this was for additional events beyond what was in the program...

they also said it wasn't to go towards wages, but half of it was to go to wages

Fair play to the councillors for calling a halt to it.

I read that they also refused to discuss any of the costings for the cancelled opening ceremony. Outrageous since public money partly (mostly?) funded that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

great stuff slimy gombeens dont get money.

• Advertisement

Getting a good going over on RTE1 Sean O Rourke Show, they are losing money from Sponsors which never realised like they thought it would, both Councils are now not giving them any more money, they said they are contacting their Insurance Company to see what they can claim due to the bad weather cancelled show. They are not sure how much they can claim for the bad weather, if I was running an outdoor event that is the first thing I would be looking at given the nature of our weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

The level of secrecy over the whole thing is unreal. Since day one, the management and public accountability of the whole affair has been a total shambles. They struggle to answer the most basic of questions.

I would not be shocked if a future report found they treated themselves to extortionate salaries while crying poor mouth to the public. Glad to see councillors rejected their pity pleas.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Homelander wrote: »

I would not be shocked if a future report found they treated themselves to extortionate salaries while crying poor mouth to the public. Glad to see councillors rejected their pity pleas.

There’s enough to criticise without putting a tin foil hat on. Define extortionate.

me thinks its possible wages are being thrown about like a brown envelope in the FF race tent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's local people who have already started working on smaller projects - wonder if these are in jeopardy of receiving money too?

Stevolende wrote: »
    I'm interested as to what legacy the year's city of culture is going to leave. Hope it is going to somehow feed back into nurturing a local art community but not sure it's going to.
    Not sure to what extent the Arts Festival actually feeds back into creating/nurturing local art beyond paying something towards some galleries. & bringing people to Galway.
    Would like to hear there was some lasting legacy in terms of how spending on local art, as in helping a diverse group of people become creative.

I'm also wondering what the story is on the materials/set up that were going to be deployed last night. Is anything salvageable/reusable or was everything written off as soon as it wasn't going to be used specifically last night.
    Assuming things survived the storm anyway Really hoping that the legacy of last night is not going to be households around the Claddagh having to remove soaking detritus from their gardens when it wasn't used for original purpose.

The only legacy from 2020 will be damage to Galway’s reputation. It will he referred to as a case study on exactly what not to do. They’ll get a couple of even arts events going in the summer and then bring the curtain down on it.

The EU would get better organised finances and governance in former soviet Eastern European cities where they worry about corruption. It’s an embarrassment for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

inisboffin wrote: »
    There's local people who have already started working on smaller projects - wonder if these are in jeopardy of receiving money too?

That's a good question. I'm working on a Small Towns, Big Ideas project. For a start, the grants given out for that (and a lot of those projects are in the county) were way smaller than we'd hoped. There was supposed to be a two year build up to 2020 where you could get up to €20k per year to build capacity and then apply for 2020. Well, when it was introduced the limit was €20k, most folk got between €1k and €7k from what I've gathered. That only ran for one year instead of two, and in then the funding limit for the project in 2020 dropped to €15k. There was no way we could have worked with a European Artist, with that limit, so we parked some other plans.

Trying to squeeze a 'legacy' out of it is challanging. As for paying folk.... well, as an organiser and the main 'local' creative, there goes my pay :(.

We've only got the first trauch so far (40%) of our funding, and we've been landed with a huge insurace quote (not 2020's fault) that's x9 times last years quote so we're quiet stressed about that. I had hoped that most of us who at least worked on the bid for free, would get a decent opportunity, but that's not panning out. I'm going to see can I pay some of my fellow artists who worked on the bid, in our project, but it will only be a days pay :o

Greaney wrote: »
    That's a good question. I'm working on a Small Towns, Big Ideas project. For a start, the grants given out for that (and a lot of those projects are in the county) were way smaller than we'd hoped. There was supposed to be a two year build up to 2020 where you could get up to €20k per year to build capacity and then apply for 2020. Well, when it was introduced the limit was €20k, most folk got between €1k and €7k from what I've gathered. That only ran for one year instead of two, and in then the funding limit for the project in 2020 dropped to €15k. There was no way we could have worked with a European Artist, with that limit, so we parked some other plans.

Trying to squeeze a 'legacy' out of it is challanging. As for paying folk.... well, as an organiser and the main 'local' creative, there goes my pay :(.

We've only got the first trauch so far (40%) of our funding, and we've been landed with a huge insurace quote (not 2020's fault) that's x9 times last years quote so we're quiet stressed about that. I had hoped that most of us who at least worked on the bid for free, would get a decent opportunity, but that's not panning out. I'm going to see can I pay some of my fellow artists who worked on the bid, in our project, but it will only be a days pay :o

fair play, its the like of ye need backing not the gombeen fat cats..

fair play, its the like of ye need backing not the gombeen fat cats..

Who are these gombeen fat cats and what were they paid?

It seems to me there was a huge disconnect between the ambition of those organising it and what was actually achievable and deliverable within budget.

Replace the beanie with a hard hat and you’ve got the children’s hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Greaney wrote: »

Similar situation here, but to date it's just me who will be out of pocket. However in the coming months I'll be working with others and I'm the contact person. No contracts in place yet :/
    That's awful Greaney, I know how hard ye work out in Athenry.

Advertisement