Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Greaney wrote: »
    I imagine there might be a closing ceremony.... also in winter:o

a painfully long drawn out car crash it is so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The opening & closing need to be simple indoor affairs. Then have a big celebration in the summer. Mid Summer's Night would be good & tie in with the ancient Celtic festivals. Dusk to Dawn :)

Make a real event of it with food etc, live bands etc. Maybe as a starter for Arts Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just on news now it will not be re-schudled so that's it then.

Would their (Galway2020)insurance cover the cancellation of this event.
    If so, could they not hold it later in the year?

The problem might be that event insurance is often for gate receipts & this was a free event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Storm 10 wrote: »

Pity for all involved after all the planning and hard work.better safe than sorry though I suppose.

• Advertisement

I don't think it could be but the assets could still be used.

Pity for all involved after all the planning and hard work.better safe than sorry though I suppose.

Step outside. It could never have gone ahead in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Green area all flooded in the swamp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

A swamp in the west of Ireland, flooding in February. Who’d a thunk it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Jesus loads of hurlers in the ditch around here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

... Ya we are on the ditch because the pitch is unplayable ...
    As predicted it would down in the swamp in February .
    Yet again galway fails when it comes to running an event .
    The inability in this city to PLAN ANYTHING IN A PROFESSIONAL WAY IS BECOMING AN ENDLESS JOKE .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's called a swamp, not a ditch, caller

Anyway of getting the monetary cost of this opening ceremony? staff, equipment, flights, accommodation, contracts, security, road closures, etc?
    Oh wait, Galway2020 is a private company who are not required to divulge such detail despite begging taxpayers for more funds

Council to meet on Monday to discuss additional funds for Galway2020

zell12 wrote: »
    It's called a swamp, not a ditch, caller

Anyway of getting the monetary cost of this opening ceremony? staff, equipment, flights, accommodation, contracts, security, road closures, etc?
    Oh wait, Galway2020 is a private company who are not required to divulge such detail despite begging taxpayers for more funds

Council to meet on Monday to discuss additional funds for Galway2020

ching ching for the select few, while the rest of us suffer the loss of another €2,500,000 from local services

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

So the city council decides during the week whether to give them another 2.5 million.
    1.25 million in 2021 and another 1.25 million in 2022 .
    As pointed out already that is going to mean if approved cuts in galway city services .
    This for an event that on their website includes
    (1) arts festival
    (2) music event in galway airport on June bank holiday
    (3) Christmas market in eyre square ......
    EVENTS THAT HAVE BEEN RUNNING IN GALWAY FOR YEARS !!!!
    .... What have they spent the money on that they have been given already ???
    The lad playing the spoons down shop street couldn't have cost 2.5 million ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Was the €2.5m approved by councillors?

Was the €2.5m approved by councillors?
    No. Monday meeting to decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

What a farce! How can you not have an opening ceremony??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They're still advertising the opening on Radio 1 believe it or not.

Redo91 wrote: »
    What a farce! How can you not have an opening ceremony??

They did it was on in the Galmont

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The question of how much has to be asked.

public money literally gone down the swamp. An outdoor event of this size at this time of year was always a crazy idea, considering Galway's prevailing weather.

Are there many other large outdoor events planned for this year?

tototoe wrote: »
    The question of how much has to be asked.

public money literally gone down the swamp. An outdoor event of this size at this time of year was always a crazy idea, considering Galway's prevailing weather.

Are there many other large outdoor events planned for this year?

does the ECOC 2020 Galway race meeting count? are there any greyhound racing events incorporated into the ECOC book?

I totally support Arts events but only if they secure additional funding that doesn't deny money for those in need. I wouldn't give the CoC crowd a cent unless their accounts are publicly available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Discodog wrote: »
    I totally support Arts events but only if they secure additional funding that doesn't deny money for those in need. I wouldn't give the CoC crowd a cent unless their accounts are publicly available.

This is it. This is now being funded mainly from the public purse. On rte radio last week it was said gcoc had less than half a million in private funding out of a target of 7million, the rest is from public cash . Utterly insane imo.

How dare we spend money on the arts!

How dare we spend money on the arts!

I am happy to spend on the Arts when we have don't have homeless. A well organised opening ceremony could easily be self funding & even turn a profit. Music Festivals like Glasto & EP manage to combine a lot of Art with music.

I love that, for example those with special needs, were included in the proposed opening ceremony. But it's detrimental if the budget for special needs gets reduced to pay for an event.

Yes you can join in & bang a drum but your care facility will lose money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I am happy to spend on the Arts when we have don't have homeless. A well organised opening ceremony could easily be self funding & even turn a profit. Music Festivals like Glasto & EP manage to combine a lot of Art with music.

I love that, for example those with special needs, were included in the proposed opening ceremony. But it's detrimental if the budget for special needs gets reduced to pay for an event.

Yes you can join in & bang a drum but your care facility will lose money.
    So you reckon it should have been a paid ticketed event like Glastonbury and Electric Picnic rather than a free public event?

flazio wrote: »
    So you reckon it should have been a paid ticketed event like Glastonbury and Electric Picnic rather than a free public event?
    That's not what Discodog said

flazio wrote: »
    zell12 wrote: »
    That's not what Discodog said
    A well organised opening ceremony could easily be self funding & even turn a profit. Music Festivals like Glasto & EP manage to combine a lot of Art with music.

If it isnt what he said it would need to be clarified as it sure looks like hes suggesting a paid for event

• Advertisement

I am happy to spend on the Arts when we have don't have homeless.

That's a really silly position. There will ALWAYS be something. Health, education, homeless, economy, infrastructure etc etc etc.

By your position, there would never be a penny going to the arts, ever

Advertisement