Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serena's meltdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

'Fighting for womens rights' is the go to defence for any woman having a hissy fit these days it seems.
    Deserves a stronger sanction than just losing a point and a game - that kind of outburst is outrageous and was an extraordinarily selfish ruining of a great moment in Osaka's career - by all accounts she fully deserved her win against the odds, and it should have been nothing but a triumphant moment for her to enjoy rather than the brattish sideshow Williams made it.
    Outrageous.

I can only imagine what the Japanese are saying about Serena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Serena Williams is one the golden cows of current social justice - anything she does however trivial is praised and lauded as fighting for rights; any calls against her therefore must exclusively be the domain of racists and sexists.

E.g. Serena breaks the rules on dress code in competition..."ummm uhhh Serena's right, those rules (which also apply to everyone else) are sexist and racist!" https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/fashion/the-serena-williams-catsuit-ban-is-about-policing-women-s-bodies-1.3610058%3fmode=amp

She's a crybaby. I'd expect a reaction slightly more humble from someone confident they are the best in the world than her graceless display.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

squawker wrote: »
    acting like a spoiled child does not equal sexism

hope she receives a huge fine and is forced to apologize for her disgusting behaviour

I hope she gets hockeyed from not on and continues her outbursts.some people just can't take when their day in the sun is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,056 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There's a bot of both to this:

Serena has lost before and not reacted this badly, so I don't buy the "sore loser" argument. Also, it was her coach who committed the first offence, not here. He made a hand gesture. She may not have seen it, or, even if she had seen it, had no control over it. Penalise the coach, ban the coach, send the coach to he locker room in that case.

She also reacted to it. Professionals don't. They keep their head down, play better and use the incident to spur them on and focus. Serena didn't - she went into meltdown. They don't call the umpire a thief, and no one does this without consequences. Probably not in any sport.

Whether it was sexist or racist (in fairness, she only claimed the former as far as I know) should be easily proven: have men or white players been trated differently in the past when the same thing has happened?

TL-DR - wasn't entirely her fault, but how she reacted is and that's what cost her the match.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Is she the sister who killed a guy in a car crash? Maybe its PTSD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,658 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Serena has lost before and no reacted this badly, so I don't buy this attitude. Also, it was her coach who committed the first offence, not here. He made a hand gesture. She may not have seen it, or, even if she had seen it, had no control over it. Penalise the coach, ban the coach, send the coach to he locker room in that case.

She also reacted to it. Professionals don't. They keep their head down, play better and use the incident to spur them on and focus. Serena didn't - she went into meltdown.

Whether it was sexist or racist (in fairness, she only claimed the former as far as I know) should be easily proven: have men or white players been trated differently in the past when the same thing has happened?

TL-DR - wasn't entirely her fault, but how she reacted is and that's what cost her the match.

Are you saying that she would have won the match if none of the rulings had gone against her?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,544 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't really agree with that. I watched the match in between watching Amir Khan show the world his glass chin again and no matter what happened Serena was going to lose that match. She was utterly outclassed in the first set and her melt-down was a reaction to the fact that she was going to lose, rather than the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

No, she's the sister who almost died after having a baby last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

She's an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

No, she's the sister who almost died after having a baby last year

She had a baby? She's not mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

She's so brave! Apart from when drug testers ring her doorbell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Serena has lost before and not reacted this badly, so I don't buy the "sore loser" argument. Also, it was her coach who committed the first offence, not here. He made a hand gesture. She may not have seen it, or, even if she had seen it, had no control over it. Penalise the coach, ban the coach, send the coach to he locker room in that case.

She also reacted to it. Professionals don't. They keep their head down, play better and use the incident to spur them on and focus. Serena didn't - she went into meltdown. They don't call the umpire a thief, and no one does this without consequences. Probably not in any sport.

Who broke her racket for her ? The coach, or the umpire ?

When she already knew, peeved about it or not, that she was already on one violation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's a terrible thing to overshadow Osaka's historic victory. The coaching violation seems unfair but those are the rules and there's no comeback against the racket smash or verbal abuse.

But I don't agree with criticising her for dress code breaches or drug testing frequency. Tennis' dress code is incredibly outdated and is not necessary to play the sport to full advantage unlike other sports where the uniform suits the movement required. Female players should be allowed wear shorts or trousers if they so wish. Serena breached it for medical reasons anyway. The drug testing frequency is a legit complaint, if one athlete is tested at a far greater frequency than their peers it does warrant criticism and questions. Simone Biles who also happens to be a superb black athlete miles beyond her peers is and has been tested at an alarming frequency compared to her competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's a terrible thing to overshadow Osaka's historic victory. The coaching violation seems unfair but those are the rules and there's no comeback against the racket smash or verbal abuse.

But I don't agree with criticising her for dress code breaches or drug testing frequency. Tennis' dress code is incredibly outdated and is not necessary to play the sport to full advantage unlike other sports where the uniform suits the movement required. Female players should be allowed wear shorts or trousers if they so wish. Serena breached it for medical reasons anyway. The drug testing frequency is a legit complaint, if one athlete is tested at a far greater frequency than their peers it does warrant criticism and questions. Simone Biles who also happens to be a superb black athlete miles beyond her peers is and has been tested at an alarming frequency compared to her competitors.

Actually I dont think its true that Serena is tested more than her peers, certainly not significantly so at least. It happens in lots of sports all the time anyway, that some athletes get targeted for one reason or another - can be something as simple as just trying to create a blood profile - and you rarely hear them complaining about it. They suck it up and get on with it. Serena was moaning about it earlier this year but turned out her complaints were less than legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

I was watching and it was obvious at one point that she couldn't keep pace. That's when she lost the plot. Even McEnroe (nearly 40 years ago I might add) never called the Umpire a thief and a liar.

The sexism thing is total nonsense (I think calling a man a "super-brat" also falls under the category of sexist if you want to go there).

A bad loser and incredibly disrespectful to her opponent who thoroughly deserved her win. But the usual idiots will swarm to her defence screaming "racist" and "sexist" as loud as their lungs will allow.

The world is a bizarre place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

I've seen Viktoria Azarenka and Jelena Ostapenko wearing shorts in matches.

Wimbledon has a dress code of players only being allowed to wear white and people just get on with it, lots of sports have dress codes.

The best should always tested more often that the lesser players because if they are juicing it does massive damage to a sports credibility, they need to be tested more often to ensure they are clean.Someone ranked number 100 in the world is failing a drugs test will not do much damage to a sport, the number one in the world being a drug cheat does massive damage to a sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Watched it and felt ashamed of her. She was being outplayed. Get on with it. Both violations are black and white in the rules. Then abuse. Just get on with it.

Fair play to Osaka.

Are you saying that she would have won the match if none of the rulings had gone against her?

Don't really agree with that. I watched the match in between watching Amir Khan show the world his glass chin again and no matter what happened Serena was going to lose that match. She was utterly outclassed in the first set and her melt-down was a reaction to the fact that she was going to lose, rather than the cause.

No, not at all - she may very well have lost anyway. But the meltdown ****ed up any chance of a comeback. She was already a set down and Osaka was folding firm when it kicked off.

At that level, it's as more mental state and concentration that determines winners than physical ability.

Who broke her racket for her ? The coach, or the umpire ?

When she already knew, peeved about it or not, that she was already on one violation.

My point entirely: she never contested that one and should have known to calm down and not mouth off when you've already had two violations.

I never said she was innocent here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i dont mind her behaviour on the court, im sure people watched mcenroe in the past hoping for something to kick off, but her whiney self defence after is just pure entitlement.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just watched it There aren't many sports out there that you can berate an official with abuse and not be sanctioned. She didn't know when to shut up and was sanctioned accordingly.

But of course, it was sexist. No question about that /FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The best should always tested more often that the lesser players because if they are juicing it does massive damage to a sports credibility, they need to be tested more often to ensure they are clean.Someone ranked number 100 in the world is failing a drugs test will not do much damage to a sport, the number one in the world being a drug cheat does massive damage to a sport.

This is absolutely true of course, dope testing is by nature an inherently discriminatory practice anyway. Every athlete signs up to it or they retire and go do something else.

But it still should be specified that Serena is not, in fact, tested significantly more than her peers. Just another example of her being disingenuous and twisting the facts to suit a chosen narrative. Should have been called out on it as on so much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

What I'm most appalled by is Serena robbing Naomi Osaka of her moment. Serena was once that young player starting out in the sport and she should know what it's like to have that first major win, she knows what that moment feels like and unfortunately, she has robbed Osaka of that.

The usual suspects in the media are jumping on the poor Serena bandwagon, instead of celebrating Osaka and her mega achievement.

And for the posters saying "all women" do this and that, remember Osaka is also a woman and she didn't act like an asshole and she is also representative of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

She also told the umpire that he would never umpire again when she is playing. I wonder how will that turn out.

Never umpire on "her" court!

Her ego is clearly off the chart.
    Horrible woman to deal with both on and off the court I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

erica74 wrote: »
    What I'm most appalled by is Serena robbing Naomi Osaka of her moment. Serena was once that young player starting out in the sport and she should know what it's like to have that first major win, she knows what that moment feels like and unfortunately, she has robbed Osaka of that.

The usual suspects in the media are jumping on the poor Serena bandwagon, instead of celebrating Osaka and her mega achievement.

And for the posters saying "all women" do this and that, remember Osaka is also a woman and she didn't act like an asshole and she is also representative of women.

She was fantastic. Kept her cool and her focus to win the match and remained dignified afterwards. Williams did neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

“I’m here fighting for women’s rights and for women’s equality”..
    What about the rights of the woman whose moment you just ruined by being a petulant and narcissisticly entitled brat.
    When all else fails just pretend you’re championing women’s rights, despite the fact your opponent was also a woman. Then when that fails accuse the referee of being sexist, despite the fact the opponent was also a woman.
    Then cry racism, despite the fact the opponent was also a woman of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Heard about it first on Ireland AM this morning. Simon Delaney was making the point that she broke the rules, straight away the two female presenters rounded on him. Their defense was ‘internet trolls’.

I hope she’s banned for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No one was booing Osaka in all fairness. It's was just the pure pigheadedness and self absorbed Serena that took it upon herself to paint that picture.
    '' no more booing '' Booing WAS FOR HER ! A LOT OF IT

No one booed Osaka, no one. They booed the officials yes, but not Osaka, but Serena she had to put her spin on it '' no more booing, I know it's not the outcome we wanted'' WTF . That hurt Osaka those words, made her feel crowd hated her, they did not, Osaka supporters booed Serena, and whole crowd booed the officials.
    Osaka had many supporters in crowd and a lot of them were American.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

They were saying Boo-urns

Advertisement